Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one time I told a VP of tech for Medco that their internal DNS was retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Athletic Footjob posted:

I also explained that development for Android was much easier than iOS.

I just prefer superior hardware (for lower costs) and open source.

it's only non-developers that think developing for android is easier

also superior hardware??

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

does the iphone have a quad core chip? YEAH THATS RIGHT

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i guess people think "hmm, i can easily pirate and side load apps. that's probably the hardest part of programming, getting the app on the device after the coding part. :downs:"

THC posted:

does the iphone have a quad core chip? YEAH THATS RIGHT

we're at hexacore now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

i guess people think "hmm, i can easily pirate and side load apps. that's probably the hardest part of programming, getting the app on the device after the coding part. :downs:"

we're at hexacore now

I know a nonzero amount of people who only use open source software because "you can freely modify it to suit your needs!"

they don't know any coding and wouldn't know where to start

at least one of them has a methamphetamine problem

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

neonbregna posted:

stolen from another thread

can you link me to said thread so i can face my accusers as is my right

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh also they are fine using the closed-source google apps because google is committed to open source

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

oh also they are fine using the closed-source google apps because google is committed to open source

point out that apple is the largest contributor to FOSS to see a head explode

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

click on the quote, idk

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

THC posted:

I know a nonzero amount of people who only use open source software because "you can freely modify it to suit your needs!"

they don't know any coding and wouldn't know where to start

at least one of them has a methamphetamine problem

broken clock opsec posted:

um excuse me as a casual computer user i'm reviewing the source code to pulseaudio before committing my system to it

now, what does #include do?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

kalstrams posted:

click on the quote, idk

the link the the post i just quoted?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

your here?

it came from the star citizen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

the link the the post i just quoted?
oh welp ill try reading next time

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

kalstrams posted:

oh welp ill try reading next time

dont lie

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:mad:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

PleasureKevin posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=282&perpage=40#post454622838

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dear Apple Music, I do not want to hear the censored version of a song ever, please make this a toggle

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

PleasureKevin posted:

point out that apple is the largest contributor to FOSS to see a head explode

how is that measured? amount of projects? lines of code?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

craisins posted:

how is that measured? amount of projects? lines of code?

it's measured by the number of people who claim it to be true

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

theflyingexecutive posted:

dear Apple Music, I do not want to hear the censored version of a song ever, please make this a toggle

columbine-era censorings are the best

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple is about to rip off every one of its customers. Again.

Forbes and FastCompany are reporting that Apple plans to ditch the standard 3.5mm headphone jack when it releases the iPhone 7 later this year. Only a massive international campaign can force Apple to change course now.

Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste -- that likely won't get recycled. According to the United Nations, up to 90% of the world's electronic waste is illegally traded or dumped each year.

Tell Apple to respect its customers and our planet. Keep the standard headphone jack.

This is right out of the Apple corporate playbook. A few years ago it swapped out the original iPod-dock connector with a new one, making countless cords, cables and chargers obsolete.

Apple plays up its green credentials, but the truth is that Apple only invested in renewable energy, and began phasing out toxic chemicals when public pressure became too strong to ignore. People power did it before, and we can do it again.

Tell Apple to keep the standard headphone jack and ditch planned obsolescence!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Management posted:

Apple is about to rip off every one of its customers. Again.

Forbes and FastCompany are reporting that Apple plans to ditch the standard 3.5mm headphone jack when it releases the iPhone 7 later this year. Only a massive international campaign can force Apple to change course now.

Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste -- that likely won't get recycled. According to the United Nations, up to 90% of the world's electronic waste is illegally traded or dumped each year.

Tell Apple to respect its customers and our planet. Keep the standard headphone jack.

This is right out of the Apple corporate playbook. A few years ago it swapped out the original iPod-dock connector with a new one, making countless cords, cables and chargers obsolete.

Apple plays up its green credentials, but the truth is that Apple only invested in renewable energy, and began phasing out toxic chemicals when public pressure became too strong to ignore. People power did it before, and we can do it again.

Tell Apple to keep the standard headphone jack and ditch planned obsolescence!

are you sure you didnt mean to post that in the "RP a 5 figgy fucktard" thread

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it's thicker than a lightning port

and/or pubbie tears

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

zen death robot posted:

why does everyone in here hope they get rid of the headphone jack again?

do you not like big thin phones?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

removing the headphone jack means it can be thinner and lighter and would help make it truly waterproof. also, 3.5mm jacks are far from good, you have to turn them just right to get proper sound some times.

when the iPhone came out getting a proper 3.5mm jack was a godsend because other people had random proprietary ports with one pair of lovely headphones to choose from. but now apple makes good headphones, bought beats, and the lightning port in iPhone is popular enough they have been making stereos and car systems around it already. it's proprietary, but it's ubiquitous.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hopefully there will be a selection of first and third party lightning DACs to suit every budget and taste level [the apple one will be the smallest, prettiest and most performant of the lot]

im imagining a tiny version of their white thunderbolt to cat5 adapter

knowing Tim it'll probably be terrible tho

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

PleasureKevin posted:

removing the headphone jack means it can be thinner and lighter and would help make it truly waterproof. also, 3.5mm jacks are far from good, you have to turn them just right to get proper sound some times.

when the iPhone came out getting a proper 3.5mm jack was a godsend because other people had random proprietary ports with one pair of lovely headphones to choose from. but now apple makes good headphones, bought beats, and the lightning port in iPhone is popular enough they have been making stereos and car systems around it already. it's proprietary, but it's ubiquitous.

why would a lightning port be in a stereo? are there male-male lightning cables to charge your phone? why wouldn't it just have a usb port?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's a camera bulge.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

craisins posted:

why would a lightning port be in a stereo? are there male-male lightning cables to charge your phone? why wouldn't it just have a usb port?

youve seriously not seen stereos with a 30 pin or lightning connector on?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

emoji posted:

There's a camera bulge.
Just remove the camera from the iPhone 7. If people want to use a camera, make it a dongle.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

im guessing there just won't be a DAC. it'll come with lightning earpods with integrated DAC. and you'll have to buy some ridiculous chunky 3rd party bullshit and it'll be the wrong colour

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if they remove the camera bump it will be acceptable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
earpods are fantastic so this is great imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

earpods are nice for when I want to hear everything else besides my music

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

why does the DAC ahve to be in the earpods, the iphone's audio is already good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ugh 3.5mm jacks are just fine. at least do what my 07 moto q did and use a 2.5mm you can adapt with a four cent dongle.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

zen death robot posted:

those lovely speaker dock things?
i was thinking purely car stereos. i forgot about the ihome and other home stereo things. i just assumed everything had bluetooth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

THC posted:

earpods are nice for when I want to hear everything else besides my music

actually theyre the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts