Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

The steam forums for this game rule.

Sounds like someone got cosby'd and locked in a metal box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bad Moon posted:

I made a little beach hut a little ways down south of the base to live in till I'm not declared a 5th columnist. Please don't burn it to the ground :ohdear:

I'll help you turn it into a fort! Though you should probably check with Cykko to make sure it's not blocking any spawns.

DINOSARUS posted:

he was captured but escaped while being transported to a holding cell (you can literally hold people prisoner in this game and keep them sedated to render the game unplayable to them);

Can you feed them when you're keeping them cosby'ed? Because my plans to Buffalo Bill some random, non-affiliated pubbie will be a lot of wasted work if they can just let themselves starve.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 9, 2016

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'll help you turn it into a fort! Though you should probably check with Cykko to make sure it's not blocking any spawns.

Can you feed them when you're keeping them cosby'ed? Because my plans to Buffalo Bill some random, non-affiliated pubbie will be a lot of wasted work if they can just let themselves starve.

Sure can! You can give them turdburgers and quaaludes for as long as you can deal with the monotony.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Your target should be that annoying kid that keeps making GBS threads up chat constantly. It'd prolly get us in good with the other tribes if you made that shithead ragequit the server.

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006

Cubey posted:

Your target should be that annoying kid that keeps making GBS threads up chat constantly. It'd prolly get us in good with the other tribes if you made that shithead ragequit the server.

It's good that you mention this, I spotted him sailing a raft just off the coast of our base. He might have been scoping out our base, he might not have been, anyway I started tracking him heading south until he took a shot at me with a crossbow. I returned to his last seen location to find his raft but no sight of him, so went, grabbed monkey's boat, turned the turrets up and parked it just off his raft, so that's cut his transport options, regardless he might be around our neighborhood.

I propose that we concentrate our efforts on tracking this guy down, he probably isn't a threat to us, but he's got enemies and honestly the hunt will be fun.

:siren: GodspeedSphere :siren: don't move your boat!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cubey posted:

No, I want to find a low level, give him some amazing gear, then knock him out.

When it wakes up it'll be at the bottom of a stone well. And I'll be just outside with my tamed Compy, Precious, throwing down bug repellent and ordering it to rub the lotion on its skin.

It won't want to suicide, because it won't want to lose its awesome equipment.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Who in the tribe live south?

I was logged out in the south base, and somehow got killed by a level 2 player.

Did someone like...drag me outside?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No, I want to find a low level, give him some amazing gear, then knock him out.

When it wakes up it'll be at the bottom of a stone well. And I'll be just outside with my tamed Compy, Precious, throwing down bug repellent and ordering it to rub the lotion on its skin.

It won't want to suicide, because it won't want to lose its awesome equipment.

Well I just woke up in a wood box with a locked door and a roof trap door I can't get out of stripped of everything except a torch and a note that said Welcome to DRS.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

squidgee posted:

I was logged out in the south base, and somehow got killed by a level 2 player.

Did someone like...drag me outside?

The goon side of the south base was demolished by the non-goons for parts, and they didn't bother dragging the sleeping players to safety.

Your stuff was taken to the new base long before that happened, but good luck finding any specific piece of gear at this point. Just go regear at North base.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bad Moon posted:

Well I just woke up in a wood box with a locked door and a roof trap door I can't get out of stripped of everything except a torch and a note that said Welcome to DRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVaiQIuuvNA

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

DINOSARUS posted:

:siren: GodspeedSphere :siren: don't move your boat!

Roger that. Have we raided his boat or is it locked? Time to try the new ballista boat

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The goon side of the south base was demolished by the non-goons for parts, and they didn't bother dragging the sleeping players to safety.

Your stuff was taken to the new base long before that happened, but good luck finding any specific piece of gear at this point. Just go regear at North base.

Ah, that makes sense. That's what I get for being offline during the holidays!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I logged in today for the first time since the southern base, before A Big Dumb Jerk died. The new base is unreal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We are on server 66 and people keep loving up our base for no reason.

This game is becoming less fun.

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006

Laserface posted:

We are on server 66 and people keep loving up our base for no reason.

This game is becoming less fun.

Come to 65, everyone is afraid of us to the point that someone is trying and failing to organise a rebellion.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

That could work. We are all In Australia so we could be the night shift for you guys. I'll put it to the team tonight.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Laserface posted:

That could work. We are all In Australia so we could be the night shift for you guys. I'll put it to the team tonight.

Good luck logging into the server. I've been trying for a couple hours now and nothing :smith:

I can only play this game after midnight PST

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Laserface posted:

Myself and RafeJ are usually on super late, so you would have at least a couple US goons on.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Man it is just the worst when this game randomly disconnects you, and then you can't get back into the server.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I didn't get an answer in tribe chat so I thought I'd check here.

Did something happened to my nascent spike wall? It was slightly to the northeast of the base, near the swamp. Did I need to put down a foundation or something to keep it from de-spawning, or was it blocking a dino-spawn?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I didn't get an answer in tribe chat so I thought I'd check here.

Did something happened to my nascent spike wall? It was slightly to the northeast of the base, near the swamp. Did I need to put down a foundation or something to keep it from de-spawning, or was it blocking a dino-spawn?

Was it just a spike wall? Like, not defending anything, just a wall? Because if so, someone probably tore it down. Building decay takes weeks to set in, and spike walls do not prevent dino spawns, so the only way it would have disappeared is if one of us pulled it down or someone from another tribe attacked it to death. Both seem pretty likely for a random spike wall with nothing else around.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Was it just a spike wall? Like, not defending anything, just a wall? Because if so, someone probably tore it down. Building decay takes weeks to set in, and spike walls do not prevent dino spawns, so the only way it would have disappeared is if one of us pulled it down or someone from another tribe attacked it to death. Both seem pretty likely for a random spike wall with nothing else around.

Yeah I put it up Friday night but ran out of time to finish the wall/add buildings. It was the beginning of a fort I was making, but that's okay, I think I'd rather build up the beach fort instead.

I dropped about 800 narcoberries in the fridge if anyone needs to powerlevel.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah I put it up Friday night but ran out of time to finish the wall/add buildings. It was the beginning of a fort I was making, but that's okay, I think I'd rather build up the beach fort instead.

I dropped about 800 narcoberries in the fridge if anyone needs to powerlevel.

Next time make the building first, then the walls. Generally, if there's some indication of what's being protected (even if it's an obvious WIP), people will leave it alone unless it's in a bothersome spot. A lone spike wall, however, will usually be seen as either an attempt to annoy people passing through or a sign of an abandoned build spot.

We've changed the tribe governance so that buildings are personally owned. There are a few reasons for this change, but from here on out anything you build will have your name attached to it, which means we'll know who built it and hopefully have a change to talk to them if there's an issue, rather than just knocking it down. Of course, if it annoys someone from another tribe they aren't likely to give you the same courtesy, but I'm not really sure what happened in this case.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I give up trying to get in today. Worse than ever! I'll try to hop on for a short bit just before bed to check in, but otherwise see you guys tommorow.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I give up trying to get in today. Worse than ever! I'll try to hop on for a short bit just before bed to check in, but otherwise see you guys tommorow.

Server is really hosed right now anyway. This is a special kind of lag.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
Hello, I'd like to join you guys in making GBS threads myself at the beach and getting in on the cosby -> buffalo bill progression. gt ergot158 tyvm

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
If anyone comes screaming that I've been trying to raid bases, they're full of poo poo. I was suiciding to explore the Island, and since I didn't care if I died I wandered into open bases to explore. I attacked no one even when attacked (and I got attacked a *lot*). Fun fact, people are realllllly edgy in this game, even if you're completely naked and on foot.

Also, Titanboas are hilarious, and it is a shame our tribe does not have one yet.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 11, 2016

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If anyone comes screaming that I've been trying to raid bases, they're full of poo poo. I was suiciding to explore the Island, and since I didn't care if I died I wandered into open bases to explore. I attacked no one even when attacked (and I got attacked a *lot*). Fun fact, people are realllllly edgy in this game, even if you're completely naked and on foot.

Also, Titanboas are hilarious, and it is a shame our tribe does not have one yet.

You can't tame them.

E: Also, wandering into people's bases doesn't really count as "exploring." How would you think we would react if someone from a major tribe showed up poking around inside our base, and then said he was "exploring the island" when we asked him about it?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

You can't tame them.

E: Also, wandering into people's bases doesn't really count as "exploring." How would you think we would react if someone from a major tribe showed up poking around inside our base, and then said he was "exploring the island" when we asked him about it?

Depends really. I'd be more curious what they were up to, but it's perfectly valid to kill first and ask questions later, which is why I didn't complain if I got ganked.

Don't worry I won't be doing that anymore. I really did not anticipate just how angry people would get over that. I dont really care what happens to my caveman but I don't want to turn anyone's ire against the tribe.

I think from now on I'm speccing for speed/stamina. once we can use characters in other servers I might take up exploring. just how pissed off they were was hilarious

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also a mere five points in Oxygen will double your breath and swim speed.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I have not been able to join my server for days now. Me and my bros can't build a fort and this is no fun. The game keeps freezing on "Joining session..."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I almost wonder if it's worth establishing a secondary tribe on a new server once they throw some new ones up. I enjoy this game, but trying to get into NA-65 right now is just impossible. The first night I got in, it took an hour and forty-five minutes of trying before it finally happened. The base we've got is great and we have everything we need there, but that's irrelevant if we cannot play.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I'm down. I can't quite pin why, but 65 just seems like work.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I have not been able to join my server for days now. Me and my bros can't build a fort and this is no fun. The game keeps freezing on "Joining session..."

This happens to me too - to fix it you need to start a single player session when you first start Ark, exit, and then you'll be all set. It's caused by the Primaldata_bp (or whatever) failing to load all the way when joining a full server. Starting the single player session loads it, so then you're good to go when you finally get a spot to join a server.

The other fix is to go offline and then back online in the Xbox settings. For me that only solved the joining screen freeze, though, and resulted in me getting server errors whenever I finally got a spot on a server. The single player trick fixed it for me, though I have to do it every time I start up the game or I'll get hung on "Joining server" again.

Yay early access!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I've not encountered any freezing issues joining the server, but still haven't been able to get in for the last two days.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GodspeedSphere posted:

I'm down. I can't quite pin why, but 65 just seems like work.

I don't totally disagree. It's crazy cool to have all of this endgame poo poo we would never have had access to without all the work you guys have put in (I got to ride a t rex yesterday and break lovely houses that newbies built that were messing up our spawns, and I'm only level 16 in game! Weeee!), and our base is crazy cool. At the same time, though, it's ridiculous to have to worry about ruining hundreds of hours of people's work because some pubbie tribe might get angry that a naked goon looked at their base. Get a grip, pubbies.

Plus, left left a doesn't help, though I think that's just endemic to the game at this point. I can't tell you how often I give up and go play something else after 20 minutes of that nonsense.

Are there any sort of low level shenanigans possible in this game? If there are, maybe we should choose a server for messing with pubbies that's easy to join, if such a thing exists, in addition to the serious business server 65?

Edit: funkmaster, are you getting connection errors (timeouts etc), or just full servers? If the latter, it might be worth it to try the single player thing. I couldn't get in for like a week until I stumbled upon that trick.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 12, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Every server seems to be full all the time, so right now I doubt it'd be worth trying to establish ourselves elsewhere. Hence why I suggested we start a new tribe when new servers come online. Plus it'd mean we could join a server first day and not have to worry about the other tribes being at the endgame before us and wiping us out before we could get established.

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Depends really. I'd be more curious what they were up to, but it's perfectly valid to kill first and ask questions later, which is why I didn't complain if I got ganked.

Don't worry I won't be doing that anymore. I really did not anticipate just how angry people would get over that. I dont really care what happens to my caveman but I don't want to turn anyone's ire against the tribe.

I think from now on I'm speccing for speed/stamina. once we can use characters in other servers I might take up exploring. just how pissed off they were was hilarious

I've not been online for a couple of days because of work, but this sounds like a lot of fun. Is anyone really going to do anything to us if I start picking you up with my Argentavis and letting you parachute into everyones bases?

DrinkyMcSipSip
May 12, 2011

Oh, I'm sorry! Did I break your concentration?
Looking to join the tribe. My savage's name is Uncle Handsy. My gamer tag is DrinkyMcSipSip.

DrinkyMcSipSip fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I kind of want to build a wooden arch aparment over the river by the waterfall on the beach but don't want to make a security breach. Is that cool? I originally wanted to make a thatch tower of babel but figured people could snipe our base from it.

Also what happened to the other Bronto?

• Locked thread