Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

Soggy Cereal posted:

There are actually certain things unresolved, to be revealed later. The Force Awakens is not a stand alone movie, and depends on you coming back for the next two movies. This is because movie series nowadays are extremely high budget TV shows (see: Avengers, Harry Potter.) I actually love this but I think I'm in the minority.

A New Hope would have also been this way if everyone knew that it would be a success and that there would be two more movies, because Star Wars is based on a serial or in other words a TV show. The circle is now complete.

When speculating about Snoke, keep in mind that there were several designs by the art team before this one, so resemblance to Plagueis, Vader, etc. is likely coincidental.
I personally hope that he and the Knights of Ren have nothing to do with the Sith other than admiration that they Got Stuff Done. Ideally Finn is not force sensitive, Rey is not _________'s daughter, and Snoke is not a legacy character. I like the story way better if Rey and Finn are just regular people and Snoke is a mysterious outsider.

This is a cool thing about The Force Awakens that I liked - there is actually a lot more acknowledgment of people other than the Jedi or Sith knowing about the Force. Lor San Tekka, Maz Kanata, and probably Snoke are all initiated in the mysteries but aren't Jedi. Finn is the first regular normal person we've seen picking up a lightsaber (Han doesn't count, he barely uses it, and not in combat.)

Also we've still not solved the riddle of whether or not the Jedi are supposed to be good, mostly good, mostly bad, or bad.

Rey is already not a normal person, though. She has origins steeped in mystery, she picks up on using more varied abilities with the Force quicker than any character we've seen thus far, Anakin's lightsaber calls out to her through the Force even though we didn't even know it was in any way sentient or had any sort of resonating effect with people prior to this, Obi-Wan's ghost whispers to her, an over a thousand year old individual with strength in the Force wants to her become a Jedi, and she sees visions pertaining to the Skywalker family. There being no payoff for all this beyond "Yeah, she's just strong in the Force and her parents were a couple of deadbeats who couldn't find any space orphanages to leave her at" would be really lame and anticlimactic.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Phylodox posted:

Yes, but the question is why does he want to be like Vader? Is it really something as simple as it being his birthright? Or is it because, for whatever reason, he feels he needs to be strong, and Vader embodies his (flawed) idea of strength? If it's the latter, then what is the reason he's forcing himself to be like Vader, despite the fact that he doesn't seem to want to?

He is forcing himself to be like Vader when he'd rather not be. Ren (like many people) has internalized this hierarchy:

The Last Psychiatrist, a great blog, posted:

<doing awesome>

is better than

<feeling terrible about yourself>

is better than

<the mental work of change>

The mistake is in thinking that misery and self-loathing are the "bad" things you are trying to get away from with Ambien and Abilify or drinking or therapy or whatever, but you have this completely backwards. Self-loathing is the defense against change, self-loathing is preferable to <mental work.> You choose misery so that nothing changes, and the Ambien and the drinking and the therapy placate the misery so that you can go on not changing. That's why when you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you don't immediately crank out 30 pushups, you open a bag of chips. You don't even try, you only plan to try. The appearance of mental work, aka masturbation. The goal of your ego is not to change, but what you don't realize is that time is moving on regardless.

He's done some bad things, and wants to stop, thinks about changing, but it's actually easier to just hate himself and carry on with the status quo, promising himself that this is the last destructive thing he'll do:

quote:

That's the last chip in the bag-- "whatever, might as well." That's the last swig, "I'm never drinking again." That's selling your stocks into a downturn, that's your sexual history, throwing it away one more time not because this time the guy is going to be great but because it's not going to be great, it's a sacrifice to the volcano.

You throw it away, on purpose, because it's not worth holding on to it, you've already disavowed it as useless, evil, pointless, hopeless-- it is the last remnant of a part of you you want gone. You play that last coin, drink that last drink, eat that last chip and throw your vagina at a billy goat-- all of those are the splitting off of a piece of yourself that you then can leave behind. The act is the "physical expression of an intrapsychic process"-- you are acting out what you wish were true, like a rape victim scrubbing herself clean. "That's not me--- anymore." If only it were that easy. I sympathize, you have no idea.

What's most sad about it is that you might have been right-- it might have worked-- except that instead of making that be the end of the story you drag it out for one more Act, and ensure that the pattern repeats, ad nauseam. You don't want the story to end. It's not a great story, but it's the one you know, the one you understand, and you'd rather have 500 pages of repetition compulsion than take a chance on Once Upon A Time. Writing is hard, I know. I know.

That's the cycle he (and Vader before him, and us, in less extreme forms) is caught in. I'm pretty sure they're setting it up for him to break out of it in VIII and IX.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 9, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Tots posted:

Is there a goon hive mind agreed upon watch order for the movies?

Let me tell you about my fan edit called Journal of the Whills where I edit some of the dumb poo poo out of the prequels and Special Editions, work back in some of the better deleted scenes from the prequels and then shove them in as a flashback after Empire Strikes Back. It goes Episodes IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII...

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 9, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Yes, but the question is why does he want to be like Vader? Is it really something as simple as it being his birthright? Or is it because, for whatever reason, he feels he needs to be strong, and Vader embodies his (flawed) idea of strength? If it's the latter, then what is the reason he's forcing himself to be like Vader, despite the fact that he doesn't seem to want to?

I don't mean to repeat myself, but from what we see in A New Hope, why does Vader want to be like Vader? He was a student of Obi Wan's and there's clearly a significant relationship there, but that's all we get. And further, if we do bring in knowledge from the other movies, Vader eventually betrays that he doesn't want to be Vader. The first time Luke offers Vader the chance to turn back to the light, when they're on Endor, Vader sounds resigned and regretful. "It's too late for me, my son." Even as he takes his son - his only (to his knowledge at that point) child and last remnant of the family he turned to darkness in order to save - to damnation or death, Vader is deeply conflicted.

The exact plot reason that made Kylo Ren decide that he needed to cosplay as Darth Vader is yet to be determined, just as it was with Vader when we were first introduced to him. However the thematic basis of his character is clearly established - arguably more so than it was for Vader before we knew his real identity or that he turned to evil because he wanted the power to save his wife. Like Vader at that particular moment in RotJ, Ren is tempted to be turn back and to be a decent man, but instead he steps over the threshold.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Beeez posted:

Rey is already not a normal person, though. She has origins steeped in mystery, she picks up on using more varied abilities with the Force quicker than any character we've seen thus far, Anakin's lightsaber calls out to her through the Force even though we didn't even know it was in any way sentient or had any sort of resonating effect with people prior to this, Obi-Wan's ghost whispers to her, an over a thousand year old individual with strength in the Force wants to her become a Jedi, and she sees visions pertaining to the Skywalker family. There being no payoff for all this beyond "Yeah, she's just strong in the Force and her parents were a couple of deadbeats who couldn't find any space orphanages to leave her at" would be really lame and anticlimactic.

I guess let me rephrase for her case - I'd rather that the payoff not be just who she is related to. It would be cool if the Force itself had chosen her for a special role in restoring the Jedi, but not just because she's in the right bloodline.
Since the next film corresponds to ESB, the obvious temptation is to make some statement about parentage. And this is what every braindead clickbait writer is banking on. They're already focusing on entirely the wrong thing (I think.)
From what I know of Rian Johnson, he's too smart for that, and it's going to bother people when it doesn't happen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One thought I had was that maybe Finn isn't Force sensitive, specifically, but maybe the title, The Force Awakens, is in reference to the Force making itself known to everyone, not just the select few, and Finn is our window into that process.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Soggy Cereal posted:

I guess let me rephrase for her case - I'd rather that the payoff not be just who she is related to. It would be cool if the Force itself had chosen her for a special role in restoring the Jedi, but not just because she's in the right bloodline.
Since the next film corresponds to ESB, the obvious temptation is to make some statement about parentage. And this is what every braindead clickbait writer is banking on. They're already focusing on entirely the wrong thing (I think.)
From what I know of Rian Johnson, he's too smart for that, and it's going to bother people when it doesn't happen.

I think "No, she's the next, real Chosen One" would be a pretty lame payoff as well, to be honest. Like the prequels or not, they happened and are part of the saga. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but her being a clone of Anakin would be cool, though. It'd tie into the theme of Vader's legacy, it'd explain why whoever abandoned her isn't coming back(because they're just some Kaminoan or whatever rather than a loving parent), it'd explain why Anakin's lightsaber calls out to her, and it'd be less obvious than her being Luke's daughter and would be more unique than the Force just creating another Chosen One. The dichotomy between someone who is genetically identical to Vader trying to escape his shadow vs someone who is his grandson and feels he must follow in his footsteps might be interesting, too.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rey is a complete nobody abandoned on Jakku by her lovely parents who were also complete nobodies, who are likely dead.

A person without friends, family, or connections to anyone at all for Sith to pray upon. The perfect material for a Jedi.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Rey is a complete nobody abandoned on Jakku by her lovely parents who were also complete nobodies, who are likely dead.

A person without friends, family, or connections to anyone at all for Sith to pray upon. The perfect material for a Jedi.

Which doesn't explain most of what I mentioned. And considering she nearly turned to the Dark Side in her first Jedi fight she clearly isn't really free from temptation to the Dark Side. if anything, her isolation seems to have made it easier for her to form bonds, because she's desperate for connections.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope her parents are actually alive, and not anyone we know, but like lovely Han Solo, like if he actually was just selfish and took the money and ran.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phylodox posted:

One thought I had was that maybe Finn isn't Force sensitive, specifically, but maybe the title, The Force Awakens, is in reference to the Force making itself known to everyone, not just the select few, and Finn is our window into that process.

It already is known to everyone, though. See: The Phantom Menace.

I mean, from J.J.'s statements on the matter, it would appear that he doesn't really understand that, but surely the larger Lucasfilm story cabal does.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Beeez posted:

Which doesn't explain most of what I mentioned. And considering she nearly turned to the Dark Side in her first Jedi fight she clearly isn't really free from temptation to the Dark Side. if anything, her isolation seems to have made it easier for her to form bonds, because she's desperate for connections.

Yeah. Because she's actually going to fail to the the savior. It'll be Finn instead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cnut the Great posted:

It already is known to everyone, though. See: The Phantom Menace.

I mean, from J.J.'s statements on the matter, it would appear that he doesn't really understand that, but surely the larger Lucasfilm story cabal does.

I mean that the Force will awaken in everyone. In Phantom Menace terms, everyone's midichlorian count will spontaneously skyrocket.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kylo Ren kills his father because he loves him, despite everything. He is trying to overcome that love. In a sense it was love, very specific familial love, that killed Darth Vader and caused him to stray from his path, after all (or, rather, motivated him to a suicidal act of compassion). He wants to finish what (he thinks) his grandfather started. What did he start? What was Vader's greatest ambition? Bringing balance to the Force? Eradicating the Jedi? Overthrow the Emperor, take over the galaxy, impose peace and justice by force? Whatever Kylo Ren thinks Darth Vader was all about, it's obvious that he gave up on it when he decided to love his son instead.

The shocking twist to parallel The Empire Strikes Back is poised to be something like the revelation of exactly what it is that Kylo Ren's ambitions entail, that requires him to defeat himself (as he claimed, inaccurately, to have done) and learn the ways of the Dark Side from Snoke.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
This was probably posted already but I liked it. Nice blend of PT/OT footage and slightly cheesy music - "Obi-Wan remembers the truth."

https://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phylodox posted:

I mean that the Force will awaken in everyone. In Phantom Menace terms, everyone's midichlorian count will spontaneously skyrocket.

How is that going to work? Everyone in the galaxy is suddenly going to get superpowers now? Wouldn't that kind of break the universe? Or are you saying the story is going to be about the chaos that would ensue?

For the record, I don't think that's what's going on. As far as I can remember, there isn't even any real indication in the film that Finn is Force-sensitive (in the Jedi sense). You don't need Jedi powers to use a lightsaber. Not unless you're trying to deflect blaster bolts or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cnut the Great posted:

How is that going to work? Everyone in the galaxy is suddenly going to get superpowers now? Wouldn't that kind of break the universe? Or are you saying the story is going to be about the chaos that would ensue?

For the record, I don't think that's what's going on. As far as I can remember, there isn't even any real indication in the film that Finn is Force-sensitive (in the Jedi sense). You don't need Jedi powers to use a lightsaber. Not unless you're trying to deflect blaster bolts or something.

It could be unclear direction, but he seems to hear the screams of the Hosnian system, and Kylo says he has felt an awakening in the force after Finn defects but before Rey ever gets an inkling about the force.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given that nobody is arguing Greivous was a sith cause he had lightsabers, I'm pretty sure you can use one without being a Jedi. Just like, a huge chunk of what makes it a functional weapon in a world of blasters is lost to you.

Makes a goddamn hell of a bolt cutter though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

George Lucas' opinion is that you should watch them in Episode order.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cnut the Great posted:

The Legend of Korra did a similar storyline. Korra is set in the Last Airbender world, where 150 years before or thereabouts all but one of the Airbender tribe got wiped out by the Firebenders (the Airbenders incidentally have a passing resemblance to the Jedi, at least in theory). Anyway, long story short people with air powers begin to spontaneously appear again, as though the world is balancing itself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cnut the Great posted:

People keep talking about subtle cues, like Force sound effects when Finn decides to go AWOL and Finn's reaction to the Starkiller's destruction of the Hosnian system. I'm going to see the movie again in IMAX next week, so I'll have a better idea of what to look for then.

And I don't know what it would entail. Maybe it wouldn't entail everyone becoming Jedi, but something more subtle. Who knows? It would explain the title, kind of, and Finn's supposed Force sensitivity, if it exists. Right now maybes are all we have.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'd rather Luke have turned evil/been possessed by evil than have a bunch of clones of vader/palpatine/obi-wan running around or whatever.

But back to trying to come up with out-there theories based on readings (including crazy out there ones!) of the previous movies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If everybody can hear the Force, why would they need to become Jedi?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Electromax posted:

This was probably posted already but I liked it. Nice blend of PT/OT footage and slightly cheesy music - "Obi-Wan remembers the truth."

https://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug

Man, Lucas got some amazing pauses and facial reactions from Alec Guinness. I mean, it's Guinness, but still.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Red posted:

Man, Lucas got some amazing pauses and facial reactions from Alec Guinness. I mean, it's Guinness, but still.

You know you're a legendary actor when you can react to poo poo that won't happen for thirty years. Five years after your own death, no less.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If everybody can hear the Force, why would they need to become Jedi?

why do their need to be Jedi? Nobody seems adamant their must be sith.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

I'd rather Luke have turned evil/been possessed by evil than have a bunch of clones of vader/palpatine/obi-wan running around or whatever.

But back to trying to come up with out-there theories based on readings (including crazy out there ones!) of the previous movies.

Luke turning to the dark side would be regressive character development and would throw off the structure of Luke's story, it would be way worse than some clones of major characters existing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, there's a level of cynicism that just doesn't appear to coincide with anything we know about Lucas. He's always had an anti-establishment streak against the studios, but never against, like, storytelling or filmmaking.

That's mixing up the fake idea of 'bad on purpose' with what the prequels are - very well-made films that celebrate 'outdated', unpopular styles.

Basic question: is Forbidden Planet a bad movie?

Note that I don't mean 'good for its time'.

Does the idea of it cause you to sneer?

MrMojok posted:

How can you say that this dialogue generates an implied backstory for Dex, but also say that ANH never shows us that Luke wants to get away from the dreary moisture-farming existence on Tattooine? Isn't the case for Luke's motivation/backstory for wanting to escape made just as well as the one you're reading into the Dex scene?

Because, it's exactly as you say: Luke's backstory is never shown, and neither is Dex's. That's a formal decision that leaves the audience no choice but to 'fill in the blanks'. Luke does not exist before A New Hope, and Dex only exists for a total of two minutes. What you end up with, with Dex, is 'friendship' in the abstract - the concept of unlikely friendship. This is reflected in Dex's design, where is he is as huggable as he is repulsive, with his grease-stained apron and moustache. He's an 'uncle' figure to the younger Obiwan.

The big hugs and 'old buddy' stuff is a massive contrast to Obiwan's interactions with the younger Anakin:

Obiwan: I haven't felt you this tense since we fell into that nest of gundarks.

There's an intimacy to that line that's totally undercut by the elevator setting. Elevators are always a shorthand for uncomfortable overproximity. Everybody knows that experience of being shoved in a small space with people you barely know. Obiwan only makes things worse by comparing his situation to some sort of hellish bug pit. The joke falls flat. Naturally Anakin jumps at the chance to get away.

Fans mistook this for 'failing to show friendship.'

George Lucas is a very good writer.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 9, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Why don't the Sith just clone massive armies of themselves if clones inherit force sensitivity?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Why don't the Sith just clone massive armies of themselves if clones inherit force sensitivity?

Given the way dark side users are presented that seems like it would get counter intuitive to their aims real fast. Also as far as the films are concerned there is no indication clones also are force sensitive.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's mixing up the fake idea of 'bad on purpose' with what the prequels are - very well-made films that celebrate 'outdated', unpopular styles.

You're trying to disprove my statement, that I think Lucas failed to convey some of the things he wanted to in the prequels, by highlighting things I don't actually consider to be failings of the prequels. They are, at times, very visually impressive movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NecroMonster posted:

A thousand Palpatines would just backstab each other for a century.

Also having an army of Jedi doesn't seem to have done much.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

josh04 posted:

It's Jar Jar/Child Anakin, the two characters who have their entire lives screwed up just by the Jedi passing through town

Anakin was a slave and Jar Jar was considered a useless idiot by his own people. Arguably better than becoming an anti-messiah child-murderer and a senator that votes the emporer into power, respectively, from a certain point of view.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

There's a reason "Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." is a thing.

They would all kill each other.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noam Chomsky posted:

Jar Jar was considered a useless idiot by his own people.

Something he shares with Finn, arguably.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

That's not by accident.

JJ Abrams produced/wrote/directed (alongside Damon Lindelof) LOST, which created an audience through creating tons of "mysteries" and teases, some of which paid off, and some of which didn't. But it made sure to create enough open-ended plotlines to keep people guessing, and coming back.

Lindelof did really well with it in Prometheus, in my opinion. We'll see how the next 2 films pan out for Abrams.

Abrams isn't working on either of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

You know you're a legendary actor when you can react to poo poo that won't happen for thirty years. Five years after your own death, no less.

It's just good casting to get a precognitive to play the part of the Jedi.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

People keep talking about subtle cues, like Force sound effects when Finn decides to go AWOL and Finn's reaction to the Starkiller's destruction of the Hosnian system. I'm going to see the movie again in IMAX next week, so I'll have a better idea of what to look for then.

And I don't know what it would entail. Maybe it wouldn't entail everyone becoming Jedi, but something more subtle. Who knows? It would explain the title, kind of, and Finn's supposed Force sensitivity, if it exists. Right now maybes are all we have.

Honestly the Starkiller thing is the weirdest one for me, just because like it just feels obtuse to film it like that if you want it to be clear there's people in the area screaming. Finn doesn't look toward the screaming. The two aliens he's with don't look at all, Finn just looks straight up. Also, it kinda feels like a dick move to tell a guy who isn't going to have the stuff to use it well against blasters and isn't trained with it to go use that lightsaber rather than you know advising him to grab a blaster from a stormtrooper the second you can. It kinda comes off as telling a guy to bring a knife to a gun fight and just keep using that knife.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

Abrams isn't working on either of them.

He's Executive Producing the next one, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

A thousand Palpatines would just backstab each other for a century.

Well the Palpatine that ended up alive at the end would be a total bad rear end.

But more honestly, we already know that Clones can be set up such that they are completely totally utterly obedient to whatever commands you might want them to be.

• Locked thread