Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Command Ant posted:

I'll bet the girl in that advice radio show answers every letter she gets the same way.

That's Megumi Hayashibara, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Ok, I think I'm actually taking a small break after two episodes because I just remembered what happens every time I marathon Evangelion like a dumbass.
At least it'll give me some time to actually read the thread up til then!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh for sure. He was very different than I, and I've been meaning to give this a rewatch for a good long while. It's been almost since the second impact.

Oh, whoops! Think I may have misread your post somehow then, not sure. Shouldn't forum while tired.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The BDs are amazing. I want to own them.

I've been saving up my anime moneys for more than a year for this stuff. I hope I made the right decision. :blush:

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if i remember correctly the series was originally conceived of as having shinji and misato as co-main characters. that feeling kind of disappears by the time EoE rolls around, and in Rebuild it's obviously not the case, but i think it's a helpful lens for understanding the TV show

im a few pages late but yeah, anno refers to shinji and misato as the two protagonists in that early press release where he calls them "unsuitable as heroes of an adventure" and talks about being catatonically depressed for 4 years

e: its a good read http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_anno01.php

Darley-Wilkinson fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 9, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I've been quietly keeping along with this, mostly unable to watch at the same time on account of work slowly killing me, but I've done a good job of keeping to just the two episodes at a time! It actually seems to flow really great in this back-to-back episode scheme. I've seen Evangelion a few times in the past, but my change up for this particular occasion has been watching it dubbed. Some things are better, other things are worse. It's a little different, a little weird.

Episode 11 is probably my favorite, the humor, the little snippets of life from the supporting cast, the dedication of NERV as a whole (not just Gendo) doing what they're supposed to do made all the more impressive on account of the setback, and the pilots really coming together for the first time. This episode leaves me feeling happy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I always kind of wish they'd just gone with Sinatra for the ED.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Alright, made it to episode 6. I'll try to type up something vaguely worthwhile once I've had some sleep, but I'd like to mention that this thread is very good, much like the japanese cartoon neon genesis evangelion.

Shoutout to the newcomers, your posting is good and funny, and you should do it more often. :3:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I always kind of wish they'd just gone with Sinatra for the ED.

maybe for rebuild 4

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zartosht posted:

Probably the meanest thing he does to Shinji in the series.

Still, you can't argue that that moment of acknowledgement- that peek at God from the clouds- is the happiest we see Shinji throughout the series.

"Acknowledgement from a parental authority" is kinda a big thing about the series, and the other big place it comes up is in Shinji and Misato's first really honest talk this episode, in which she reveals that they're more similar than we thought- she had issues with her own father and hated how he isolated himself from her and from her mother, but then he turned around and saved her from Second Impact, leaving her feeling not grateful and vindicated as you might expect ("He did love me after all"), but confused and depressed. This extends to her own motivation on fighting to defeat the angels- is it to avenge her father , or just to get rid of the weight of that debt?

Now knowing all of this, from that big ol' talk, go back to the beginning of the series. Misato was awful quick to suggest Shinji moving in with her, wasn't she- especially considering Shinji is just fine with living by himself. If you take the first two episodes together with this latest, you can see the same ambivalence at play: did she offer Shinji her home because she empathizes with his conflict with Gendo, or because she feels guilty about her own part in his suffering? Because remember, she was right there with everyone else in flinging this poor confused kid at a giant monster, a fight he certainly would have lost if not for The Beast showing up... That did a long way of softening me to Shinji this time around, by the by- absolutely nobody has his back in that scene, not even Sailor Moon.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

There's also themes of parental acknowledgement with Asuka and her mother. And I suppose to some extent Ritsuko and her mother.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

e: Ahahaha!
When Unit02 makes a jump for the UN carrier they deploy some dinky barricade nets on the flight deck. I'm not sure how I never noticed this before because it's loving hilarious. I love you gainax :haw:

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 10, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I forgot I was going to mention Hyuga carrying Misato's printerwashing for her. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I forgot I was going to mention Hyuga carrying Misato's printerwashing for her. :v:

I bet he's posting about it on Nerv's forum right now.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thanks these are cool

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

thanks these are cool

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zas posted:

thanks these are cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zas posted:

thanks these are cool

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I did it guys! I caught up! :kiddo:
Very glad I was able to cram all this in before the show went full eva.
Next session is today right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jostiband posted:

I did it guys! I caught up! :kiddo:
Very glad I was able to cram all this in before the show went full eva.
Next session is today right?

Hooray!

Yeah we're watching 13 and 14 at 8 PM EST today.

Or heck you can watch it whenever and just say things later, it's all good. I've been watching eps early on some days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quick note for first time watchers (do we actually have any?) episode 14 starts out with a clip show summary, but it only lasts half the episode, do not skip the whole thing as the second half it is vvvvvvvv important.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Quick note for first time watchers (do we actually have any?)

Yes! Although I haven't been able to post much lately.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, episode 13 is so good. You really need you're attention caps on because it's so dense with stuff. The subs I'm watching also translated the writing on the notes for the first time I've ever seen Ikari, you jerk!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

for some reason in my memory its shinji that drops the pants

Shinji definitely does not have the self confidence to pull that off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only watched the first episode so far. I'm extremely far behind.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

A good way to talk about stuff is just to post screen grabs of shots you find particularly interesting. It helps focus your ideas into one frame and keep your thoughts brief and relevant. There's obviously place for the larger discussions too but it's what I did for the Haruhi simul for the most part.

Oh, good! That'll save me from having to use words since I'm not good at those.
I wish I could make gifs because there's so much stuff in this thing that only works in motion :(

Fun fact: While browsing the haruhi simulwatch a few weeks ago, I looked at all the cool perspective shots and determined I really wanted to grab this screencap when the eva thread happened, so hey here it is!

Grabbed this from the same episode because it's a really cool scene and cut. Love the reflections and the composition in general. Gonna spoilertag the rest of my dumb rambling about it because uhm spoilers: I'm saving this as eva.jpg and if someone ever makes a Sum Up An Anime In A Single Picture thread this will be my contribution. I like how much of the show's main conflict and thematics show up in just a single shot here. All it really needs are a vagina and a crucifix in one of the corners and it would be :perfect:

It's also a nice reminder that Shinji and Asuka are about the same size in case you hadn't noticed due to her stealing all the screen real estate and shot focus at every possible opportunity. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That is a very cool shot that appears in what seems to be a comedy episode. I've never noticed it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the emergency arm exploding lever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

the emergency arm exploding lever

When NERV prepares for every possible contingency, they mean it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

drat, 13 is such a good ep.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"It's okay, I have almost a whole second to spare."

I forgot how suspenseful and stressful this episode was. :ohdear:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Command Ant posted:

"It's okay, I have almost a whole second to spare."

I forgot how suspenseful and stressful this episode was. :ohdear:

It's very well paced and they make their technobabble hacking so exciting.

And of course it's nice to see what happens when they tackle a problem that the Evas can't solve.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Friendly reminder that this clip show ep is only half a clip show.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Also as far as clip shows go it is as close to optimum as possible really, the newsreel aesthetics are pretty cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Also as far as clip shows go it is as close to optimum as possible really, the newsreel aesthetics are pretty cool.

It's also nice to hear a few perspectives from people who were involved with the incidents. Even though it's only some narration over reused footage it's still a nice touch.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm glad that we've reached the second half of evangelion, and glad for the way the second half of ep 14 makes that immediately apparent

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love how quiet most of the clip show is. It was downright eerie during the part where Shinji's supposed to be screaming. It's getting real, real hard to not rush ahead and marathon the rest.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lets hang out posted:

I'm glad that we've reached the second half of evangelion, and glad for the way the second half of ep 14 makes that immediately apparent

:yeah:

That was the bit that made it clear, but the whole episode is quite different. Very focused on conveying the personal impressions of characters rather than events, despite it being a clip show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Yeah it's a heck of a way to tell the audience that they're in for a change of pace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion has an absolutely stellar soundtrack but the piece of music that plays during Rei's introspective section is probably my absolute favourite, apart from Komm Susser Tod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Does anyone have a source for reviews in anime magazines/newspapers for this episode when they initially aired? I'd love to know exactly what people in Japan thought was going on at the time.

• Locked thread