Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wafflecopper posted:

I just got it myself, beat you by one year :smugdog:

Took a few attempts to get off the ground, mostly because I kept making stupid mistakes like getting greedy in an early war and bankrupting myself (it was late and I was tired and missed the warning) to try and capture just a little bit more. But once I the ball got rolling it wasn't too tough. There was one nervous moment when the Ottomans decided they wanted a bunch of my poo poo and cancelled our alliance, but then Poland and Wallachia (that's them with all of Greece) starting beating them up so I joined in and took the Levant and the Maghreb.

I went Admin-Exploration-Trade-Quantity (first 2 ideas only)-Expansion (first 3)-Dropped Quantity for Defensive-Quality. I was a little slow getting to the Cape so Portugal was able to sneak a few colonies into Indonesia via Diego Garcia, but they petered out pretty quickly. They focused more on Brazil, California and Alaska so I was able to colonize a reasonable amount for myself, although Brunei, Malacca and somehow the French managed to grab a bit too. I'd planned to conquer some of the locals but never got around to shipping the troops over. I had more than enough to keep both them and my admin points tied up on the continents anyway. In retrospect I should have taken Exploration first like that one guy said and I could have Westernised much sooner than I did.

Tempted to try and unify Islam now but it would mean taking on Spain and Poland. They're allied, so I'd have to take on both at once.

e: Also just formed Arabia and got Arabian Coffee, woo.

One year? I'm deleting my achievement, it's meaningless.

I probably could have gotten it earlier if I had thought ahead a bit. When I got to China, I was taking some of their extremely high development provinces like Chengdu and Xi'an before I realized that spending so much admin on a province was slowing me down. It's not like I needed to become any more powerful at that point, I had a 670 force limit that I couldn't even afford half of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else get weird graphical glitches like this when they've been playing a while?

A restart fixes it, but it's a bit annoying.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gort posted:

Anyone else get weird graphical glitches like this when they've been playing a while?

It's a known bug and apparently there isnt any way to stop it from happening. But like you said it only happens several hours into a game and is fixed by a restart. Hopefully it gets patched out with 1.15 later this month

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The most recent patch was supposed to fix/help with that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

That is the game telling you that you have been playing for too long :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How tough is Gothic Invasion compared to Jihad? I'm thinking harder but not sure by how much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

Edit2: a major thing is I'm running 10/mo in fort maintenance, probably could cut down.

I ran exactly 3 forts for most of my horde game. 1 in my capital, and one each on either side of the Bosphorus.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Hey guys, do you think I have a chance of getting A Decent Reserve in my current Ming game? Here's what the world looks like:

It's June 1760.
  • My current maximum manpower is 179K and I gain 1,688 per month.
  • I've westernized and I'm an absolute monarchy.
  • My (only) ally is Austria
  • My current idea groups are exploration, humanist, defensive, expansion, trade and religion (one idea only for the holy war CB.)
  • I've not yet started spamming the +100% manpower province building everywhere.

Is it too late? I've not yet taken quantity and I'm in a position to expand into India, Persia, Anatolia and Central Asia but the prospect of gaining 820k manpower in 60 years is...daunting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Contingency Plan posted:

Hey guys, do you think I have a chance of getting A Decent Reserve in my current Ming game? Here's what the world looks like:

It's June 1760.
  • My current idea groups are exploration, humanist, defensive, expansion, trade and religion (one idea only for the holy war CB.)
  • I've not yet started spamming the +100% manpower province building everywhere.

Is it too late? I've not yet taken quantity and I'm in a position to expand into India, Persia, Anatolia and Central Asia but the prospect of gaining 820k manpower in 60 years is...daunting.

I don't see it happening. Try that as Muscovy or the Ottomans.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Contingency Plan posted:

I don't like your odds. Keep in mind having the cap of a million isn't enough, you actually need to have a million in the pool available.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Contingency Plan posted:

It's June 1760.

what are those borders doing

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Contingency Plan posted:

It's June 1760.

Those borders are an abomination.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm playing as Golden Horde, I vassalized Georgia and spanked Crimea, Muscovy and Kazan. But then Ottomans rivaled me and now I'm getting destroyed by them. I allied Uzbek and Timurids, but neither of them joined my defensive war. I'm not really sure what to do about this. I have about 40 regiments to their 80, plus I'm constantly running a -10 ducat deficit. Warscore is about 20% and the minimum demand that they want is like 15 provinces, which I'm certain is just going to turn this into a losing game for me as they continue feeding on my territory. Is this the inevitable outcome of a typical GH campaign?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Bort Bortles posted:

The new way you set RNW up is really freaking awesome, btw. Any idea if you will consider doing a whole random World option once you have more tiles built?

+1 for a whole random world option!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arrath posted:

Are event outcomes determined when the window pops up to deter save scumming? Rag on me all you want, but as Castile I've had a ruler languishing in Regency for a decade now and at 12yrs old I get the event that he's ill. I can either pay for 50% chance or pray for 75% chance of death. Of course, the replacement heir if he dies is a newborn so I'd be hosed into another stretch of Regency. That council of dickheads is tanking my legitimacy and I just want for go ahead and diplomatically form Spain for the first time. :negative:

I've tried reloading, advancing a bit of time before choosing, and closing and opening the program again. So far the dude is dead as a doornail every time.

Honestly, if you're willing to savescum you're way to that just use a console command to kill your ruler until you get an adult.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

Are event outcomes determined when the window pops up to deter save scumming? Rag on me all you want, but as Castile I've had a ruler languishing in Regency for a decade now and at 12yrs old I get the event that he's ill. I can either pay for 50% chance or pray for 75% chance of death. Of course, the replacement heir if he dies is a newborn so I'd be hosed into another stretch of Regency. That council of dickheads is tanking my legitimacy and I just want for go ahead and diplomatically form Spain for the first time. :negative:

I've tried reloading, advancing a bit of time before choosing, and closing and opening the program again. So far the dude is dead as a doornail every time.

If you aren't playing in Ironman you should be able to just use console commands to kill your ruler until you get an adult and then give yourself legitimacy

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
The multiplayer game is starting tomorrow at 15:00 EST (20:00 GMT) if anybody wants to throw his or her hat in at the last moment to play the Game of Thrones. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743383

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lori posted:

The multiplayer game is starting tomorrow at 15:00 EST (20:00 GMT) if anybody wants to throw his or her hat in at the last moment to play the Game of Thrones. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743383

I'm hesitant because I'm not really able to commit to weekly full play sessions. Would that be okay? Is it possible to join as a random nation every couple weeks, or join as a nation that the host feels like would be worth having a human control it for that day but that would otherwise be computer controlled?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So what's the strategy for Oirat? I've started twice and can't get more than 40 years in without Ming coming up and wrecking me. Mongolia being a constant pain is a problem I haven't solved yet either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you aren't playing in Ironman you should be able to just use console commands to kill your ruler until you get an adult and then give yourself legitimacy

Eh, I rolled with it. Luckily as he died a really pretty nice heir was born, I suffered through the next 15 years and now 40 years later Queen Isabella of Spain rules triumphant across large chunks of Africa. I'm probably a bad person for taking a bunch of slave producing provinces before slavery even became big buuuut it's making me a huge amount of money.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've restarted a dozen times as Kazan and I have never had Uzbek not rival Timurids, which means I can only ally with one, and I thought the best Thing To Do as Kazan was to ally both?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dublish posted:

So what's the strategy for Oirat? I've started twice and can't get more than 40 years in without Ming coming up and wrecking me. Mongolia being a constant pain is a problem I haven't solved yet either.

Use your aweome starting general/ruler to run a pain train on Chagatai, Yarkand, Buryatia. Get them sweet gold mines.

Ally a couple of the Manchu tribes and any other decent-size neighbors, this will help you deter and fend off Ming. There's a fair bit of luck involved.

Stay Tengri, get the +2 Heathen Tolerance and other cool decisions, recommend syncretic Hindu for even more tolerance but you can switch fairly freely for diplomatic reasons and nationwide bonuses.

Burn everything, take Admin first and Humanist third.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I'm hesitant because I'm not really able to commit to weekly full play sessions. Would that be okay? Is it possible to join as a random nation every couple weeks, or join as a nation that the host feels like would be worth having a human control it for that day but that would otherwise be computer controlled?

That is totally fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How does anyone play on Ironman? I cant stand this stupid bullshit you have to deal with:
http://imgur.com/E7nuqIv

I have a 5 shock general, am defending, and am barely outnumbered with even tech and I get STACKWIPED?!? What the gently caress?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Being outnumbered by 4000 at that point is not "barely outnumbered", you are being hit with compounded flanking bonuses.

edit: I'm not saying its not bullshit to be stackwiped, its just not wholly unexpected.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, that amount of flanking is terrible for you. Especially early on you want as much infantry as they have front line.

dublish posted:

Try cutting Mongolia loose right off the bat? Easy peasy to conquer them later.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Even as a horde, early on especially, you still need to fill out your front row of combat as best as possible, investing in cavalry that much just means you'll be fighting every battle flanked whereas if you had 5 infantry instead of 2 cavalry there you probably would have had a shot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PleasingFungus posted:

what are those borders doing

Rekindling the Fires as (mustard-yellow) Zoroastrian Malaysia.

:shepface:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Literally history's greatest monster.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wafflecopper posted:

Tempted to try and unify Islam now but it would mean taking on Spain and Poland. They're allied, so I'd have to take on both at once.

I did it! Almost missed the achievement though because I got coalitioned by Austria, Poland and friends and they occupied some of my provinces before I could finish converting them. Was able to fight them to a white peace in late 1820 and got Dar al-Islam with less than a year to spare. Also picked up Georgia on My Mind, pretty good haul.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Did some skimming on the various big European wars of the 18th century and the scope and complexity of some of it was pretty mind boggling. It got me hoping that down the road dynastic politics, coalitions and succession wars get re-worked and fleshed out a bit. I really like the idea of actively trying to build a coalition would be a neat mechanic that it would do a lot for non-wartime strategic diplomacy as well as making the mid-late game more interesting and challenging. I guess kinda like an expanded dynamic version of the 30-years-war religious leagues, only with a sub-game where you try to entice other nations into joining (or leaving an opposing coalition) instead of just hoping random AIs find a reason to join.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Frontspac posted:

Did some skimming on the various big European wars of the 18th century and the scope and complexity of some of it was pretty mind boggling. It got me hoping that down the road dynastic politics, coalitions and succession wars get re-worked and fleshed out a bit. I really like the idea of actively trying to build a coalition would be a neat mechanic that it would do a lot for non-wartime strategic diplomacy as well as making the mid-late game more interesting and challenging. I guess kinda like an expanded dynamic version of the 30-years-war religious leagues, only with a sub-game where you try to entice other nations into joining (or leaving an opposing coalition) instead of just hoping random AIs find a reason to join.

Expand the favor system so you get them from non-allies as well, spend favors to invite countries to a coalition, they can either join or lose prestige? Just spitballing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I get the feeling Gothic Invasion is a haha funny joke achievement right now. My observations after 20 restarts:

1) Georgia is always declared on within a year by QQ and vassalized. They would be a useless ally anyways except to deter an attack from Crimea, Circassia and Gazimuhfucker hate them and won't give them military access so they could reach you.
2) Circassia is your only possible ally. Raising relations to the max with Muscovy or Poland (or Lithuania, if they don't form the union) won't even get you a royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Well, you can ally Trebizond, but that does nothing for you. They can't reach you either, and they can get eaten up by QQ or the Ottomans any time.
3) Crimea has declared war on you.

I don't mind achievements where I have to restart a few times to get the ideal conditions, like I did for Jihad, but I think the changes to this game has made this achievement exponentially more difficult than what it used to be in base/early versions of EU4. The only thing I could see is working is if somehow Lithuania did not get into a union with Poland, and was confident enough to fabricate a claim on Crimea, not be afraid of Crimea's allies (Nogai, usually) and attack them immediately, so you can go over your force limit and declare a war of opportunity. Obviously I haven't seen this happen.

Of course if anyone has any other suggestions I haven't thought of I'm willing to try them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
DDRJake did a Gothic invasion run at some point iirc, might be worth tracking down. I think it was before common sense though and he might've gotten super lucky with the opening.

But yeah there are a couple of achievements that have gotten harder/easier because they were made for basically a different game than what EU4 is nowadays.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

DDRJake did a Gothic invasion run at some point iirc, might be worth tracking down. I think it was before common sense though and he might've gotten super lucky with the opening.

But yeah there are a couple of achievements that have gotten harder/easier because they were made for basically a different game than what EU4 is nowadays.

I specifically watched the first couple episodes of Jake's and Shenyyr? doing it. The game is so different now. Like you said, it was pre-Common Sense at the very least. Getting alliances was easier for them, too.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

dublish posted:

Expand the favor system so you get them from non-allies as well, spend favors to invite countries to a coalition, they can either join or lose prestige? Just spitballing.

If they redo the coalition system I'd like something where you can decide in advance how your coalition target will be divided if you win, perhaps by spending favors/getting favors or something. That's at least how I've understood that some of the coalition wars worked back in the days, like during the Napoleonic wars.

Star fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 9, 2016

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
This seems reasonable.

Unfortunately my tech group didn't change, so I had to kill the process.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How fun are the Timurids to play? Their rebel problems seem undesireable...

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Should I be coring colonies/provs that don't cause any overextension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

How fun are the Timurids to play? Their rebel problems seem undesireable...

Yeah, their starting situation is pretty tough due to rebels and instability, plus their NIs suck for a Horde. If you wanted to go for forming the Mughals then maybe but if you're just looking for a Horde start to try there are a lot less frustrating ones.

Edit: in particular, not having an early coring discount like Kazan or the Manchu hordes is a huuuuge disadvantage. Hordes are chronically starved for ADM points, getting your coring discount with your first idea set (ADM tech 5) vs. unlocking it with your third set (ADM 10) is a big difference. Timurids don't get a coring discount at all.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread