Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

I've found Dad's key exactly two times in my 200 hours of rebirth + afterbirth.

You just gotta get a solid red heart run going and sit on those spikes for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This daily run taught me that you can't stack Polyphemus, which makes me very sad.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
You can stack The Mark and Incubus in the Catacombs devil room though :v:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

horseshit. Brains literally isn't hard and is pretty fun minus waiting around a little, which is a small problem for a BoI challenge

Waiting around for your brain to recharge is extremely boring, actually. Also being unable to avoid War's 2nd phase due to the low speed from thunder thighs is insanely bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Most rooms you don't actually have to wait because most rooms you only need to use one or two brains and they all have their own timer so you don't need to wait for all three of them to come back, all that does is make your damage spike more at the start of a room(beyond what most rooms need) but doesn't affect your sustained damage much.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

You just gotta get a solid red heart run going and sit on those spikes for a while.

Excellent advice for the Lost

I also found Dad's Key exactly thrice in 200 hours of Re/Afterbirth. Twice in the Basement 1 treasure room, once from a key beggar.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Most rooms you don't actually have to wait because most rooms you only need to use one or two brains and they all have their own timer so you don't need to wait for all three of them to come back, all that does is make your damage spike more at the start of a room(beyond what most rooms need) but doesn't affect your sustained damage much.

There were tons of rooms where I needed all three brains, especially in the Womb and beyond. And you're still sitting around with your thumb up your rear end during pretty much every boss fight waiting for your damage source to come back. It's just not a fun challenge at all, IMHO.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

There were tons of rooms where I needed all three brains, especially in the Womb and beyond. And you're still sitting around with your thumb up your rear end during pretty much every boss fight waiting for your damage source to come back. It's just not a fun challenge at all, IMHO.

Brains is far too dependent on the RNG of "not getting rooms that will murder you, either because you cannot run away, or because you'll blow yourself up if you try to actually kill anything"

I imagine a run with none of these bad rooms would be chill, but since that won't be everyone's experience, the challenge is hot trash. I beat it by dying twice (judas shadow, then judas rags), and got my tears back on the second death.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No matter what I will not accept people calling it worse than The Guardian, the challenge where you can die with no way to prevent it because you got red mom and she'll just stomp on the heart repeatedly, or because your dude just walks into enemies randomly that you don't have time to bodyblock, or because your dude walks into spikes or red poop and instantly takes an amount of hits anywhere from 1 to infinity

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

No matter what I will not accept people calling it worse than The Guardian, the challenge where you can die with no way to prevent it because you got red mom and she'll just stomp on the heart repeatedly, or because your dude just walks into enemies randomly that you don't have time to bodyblock, or because your dude walks into spikes or red poop and instantly takes an amount of hits anywhere from 1 to infinity

I'd rather have an unfair challenge than a challenge that is boring as gently caress.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Andrast posted:

I'd rather have an unfair challenge than a challenge that is boring as gently caress.

You only have to do the boring challenge once. The unfair challenge will unfairly force you to try a billion times.

Speaking of unfair challenges, I just beat speed, thanks entirely to my frame rate tanking. So my advice to anyone having trouble with that challenge is keep Skype running in the background or something.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
E: gently caress

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Rubber cement+brimstone+lump of coal+tammy's head for the win! Everything died instantly and Maggie's post it note is now filled :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Andrast posted:

it's unfortunate that Guardian is both, then

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

It's about time I finished making the whole set.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I think Guardian was pretty fun actually, unfair damage bullshit aside.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Tofu Injection posted:

You only have to do the boring challenge once. The unfair challenge will unfairly force you to try a billion times.
You don't have to do any of the challenges.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I liked Brains and The Guardian. I also liked Onan's Challenge. I find most of the challenges entertaining in their own way.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Isaac, Maggie, Cain and Judas' post-it notes filled. The more stuff gets unlocked the more fun this is since there's a higher chance you get something useful (or that's how it feels like anyways).

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i do not like any of the challenges aside from slow roll

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Suicide King is fun as hell.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

SirSamVimes posted:

on opposite day

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that but I just wanted to let you know that yours is wrong.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

watho posted:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that but I just wanted to let you know that yours is wrong.

at the circus

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

i do not like any of the challenges aside from slow roll

How about the one with the two homing tech beams? It's easy, you won't get hosed up by rng and it takes no time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I just completely lucked out on my second attempt at The Guardian by finding a Placebo and a One Makes You Larger. :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blue Bomber is fun and good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SirSamVimes posted:

It's actually pretty good, yeah. You get ipecac so you're powerful and you have a downside that is manageable and funny.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also, you get a little taste of suicide king when you have monstro's lung, ipecac and the fruitcake. Sometimes one of your bombs comes back..

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
there's a tournament going at http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas
i won my first match

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

SirSamVimes posted:

no

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i'm not a big fan of IPECAC in general but suicide king is definitely one of the more fun challenges.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GuavaMoment posted:

It's about time I finished making the whole set.

Where's the headless horseman?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The only good challange is pride day and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate Suicide King, I hate My Reflection and I can-tolerate-but-would-rather-have-something-else-good-instead Ipecac.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
my reflection is p good combined with pierce and high fire rate

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:toot:

Godhead was surprisingly easy to pick up but I feel like that might be due to Afterbirth adding far more methods to get batteries. Isaac's Heart and The Mind were my last two pickups instead. Isaac's Heart hosed up my reroll setup by preventing sharp plug from working but I still found the mind so whatever, it's finished.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Guardian is good because it doesn't outstay its welcome, you can finish it really fast. Blue Bomber and Brains are poo poo because you are still playing long after you have gotten to grips with the setup and its just boring.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MokBa posted:

This daily run taught me that you can't stack Polyphemus, which makes me very sad.

Wait, you can't? I Diplopia'd it in a game like last month and iirc it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blue Bomber does CQC so much better than Guardian, tho