Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Cisco certified power cable. Only $49.95!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

What is everyone using for inventory tracking and does it support parent/child relationships for piece parts (line cards / modules)? We currently use an Excel spreadsheet that I built with respective tabs for each site, drop-down menus for most of the column information, and it has several functions and formulas for populating contract information from a sheet that has all of the appropriate information provided from the vendor.

I want something internally accessible that runs on a LAMP environment so I can query it directly for various checks, population of devices for scripting, etc. Basically a good host database that scales well with custom fields. I looked into racktables.org, but I have an IPAM solution (phpIPAM) and don't want to migrate away from it and in order to populate devices and their respective IP's, the IP subnets had to be defined as well, which just doubles up the work. I'm looking at using the custom fields within phpIPAM but I'd rather not extend/hack my IPAM solution into an inventory tracker as that isn't the projects original intention.

Anytime I go looking for a solution I end up saying "I should just convert the excel document into a php/mysql setup and be done with it" because what's out there either doesn't function in enough detail or comes with a bunch of extra features I don't want/need. I figured I would ask again before just building something myself.

Netdisco is pretty good for this. It keeps track of line card information as well as all the basics and functions as a reasonable mac/ip/port database. However, it has no manual entry so if you want any details other than what you can poll via SNMP you're out of luck.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Prescription Combs posted:

Cisco certified power cable. Only $49.95!

I wish they only cost this much. gently caress those stupid 3750X power cables.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Kirios posted:

I wish they only cost this much. gently caress those stupid 3750X power cables.

You mean just the XPS 2200 power cables? Those aren't required, the 3750X still takes a standard AC power supply.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Not w/ the 715watt power supplies. Sorry, should have clarified, it's the PoE 3750's.

Edit: I'm sure if you're desperate enough you can probably cut a slit into a standard power cable and use it, but still, I recall it being almost 200 dollars to order a cable with that weird end that connects to a NEMA NEMA L5-15 twist lock.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 5, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Oh yeah, I ran into that. I run different colored power cables to redundant PDUs so you can tell at a glance that your redundancy is right, and I couldn't plug in my colored power cords to my 4500-Xs because of the notch.

C13 is the standard plug. C15 is the standard for the notched plug. So for 208/240 you want C15 to C14. Here's a good vendor: http://www.stayonline.com/c14-c15-cords.aspx. I paid $16 per 8' cord for red and blue. Black is cheaper.

Maybe they don't have L5-15 ends, but they do custom cords.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can probably find C15 cables for no more than $10-15 too if you look around. They're used on electric kettles, space heaters and other things that draw 1KW or more, nothing super special about them apart from a higher heat tolerance.

fake edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0091F8F1G

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's...actually good to know. I honestly didn't think to see if amazon would carry them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We ran into an issue where Cisco sent a customer the wrong cables and then wanted several thousand dollars to provide the right ones :allears:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Collateral Damage posted:

You can probably find C15 cables for no more than $10-15 too if you look around. They're used on electric kettles, space heaters and other things that draw 1KW or more, nothing super special about them apart from a higher heat tolerance.

fake edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0091F8F1G

also here https://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-3900-series-ac-power-cord-us-cabc15ac-8ft-p-5332.html

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
99% of the time we never use the vendor provided power cables because we custom order power cables for each install. If we can prevent them from shipping them to us with an order, even better because they usually end up in the dumpster.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone run a dual stack network or even a fully native ipv6 network?

If so, why and what are some of the benefits

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have it setup across three sites in CT, NJ, HK and test tools report it can yield lower latencies but I just don't know the best way forward with private networks to hide internals services to match the paradigms deployed for IPv4. It is a PITA having IPv4-only management interfaces on some hardware.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Methanar posted:

Not yet, but I'm going to dual stack in Q3 of this year if all goes well.

Only reason we're doing it is that our Director has a serious Hardon for Microsoft DA, and that won't work otherwise.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 7, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Methanar posted:

Yes dual stack, no tangible benefits yet.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

CrazyLittle posted:

Same. I have maybe a half dozen customers who use v6.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

Pretty much the same here, dual stack through Tunnelbroker at my home and office, customers that have native support from their ISPs get it as well but I won't run a tunnel for a customer unless they actually had a need for v6. The only real practical benefit at this point is I can access machines on my home network directly from work and vice versa with one simple firewall rule rather than a pile of port forwards, but I like being future-proof.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We've been rolling it out slowly as customers refresh their networks. Many service providers don't offer v6 to residential customers yet (looking at you, Verizon), so I expect it'll remain of minimal use for another few years. Still, might as well put it in when you get the chance and get used to it instead of rushing to rolling it out 5 years from now.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Is no one using microsoft DA?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
We're just getting IPv6 dual stack going now. Almost entirely so we can say we have IPv6. I don't expect a single customer to use it this year.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

DigitalMocking posted:

Is no one using microsoft DA?

I used it at my old job but in server 2012 you didn't need IPv6, the DA server would handle 6to4

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Methanar posted:

We have a fully dual-stack network, the benefits include being the first customer to discover software bugs

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

wyoak posted:

I used it at my old job but in server 2012 you didn't need IPv6, the DA server would handle 6to4

Interesting, they deployed DNS64 and NAT64 as part of the 2012 offering for DA.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Y'all missed ipv6 test day and ipv6 launch day by several years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day_and_World_IPv6_Launch_Day

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
At what point will I benefit with running it internally?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Moey posted:

At what point will I benefit with running it internally?

When there are IPv6-only services that are too tedious to access through a proxy, so almost never if you follow todays paradigm of operation. The real benefits are using public IPs for every host and scrapping NAT, see the usage cases for Windows DirectAccess. You would probably need a new generation of admins to start seeing this.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MrMoo posted:

When there are IPv6-only services that are too tedious to access through a proxy, so almost never if you follow todays paradigm of operation. The real benefits are using public IPs for every host and scrapping NAT, see the usage cases for Windows DirectAccess. You would probably need a new generation of admins to start seeing this.

Absolutely. VoIP would work a fuckton better if it were on ipv6 but a lot of the hardware and software that's out there today doesn't support it. Getting rid of NAT would fix a lot of protocol handling issues.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

Absolutely. VoIP would work a fuckton better if it were on ipv6 but a lot of the hardware and software that's out there today doesn't support it. Getting rid of NAT would fix a lot of protocol handling issues.
My biggest gripe with Polycom is that they still don't seem to give a rat's rear end about IPv6. Way to be an industry leader, guys... It'd be so nice to be completely rid of NAT issues as even a possibility for customers with v6-capable ISPs. I've been bugging my rep about it intermittently for years now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MrMoo posted:

Thanks, pretty much what I assumed.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cisco's VoIP more or less supports IPv6 , as in V6 only or dual stack, but, some of the applications still require either dual stack or v4 only last I checked (contact center).

What will get you would be firewalling, proxies, and various other poo poo in the middle, but their implementation supports it anyways. To no point.

We are dual stack and it basically lets you get to V6 resources if you need to, for applications that support it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

My biggest gripe with Polycom is that they still don't seem to give a rat's rear end about IPv6. Way to be an industry leader, guys... It'd be so nice to be completely rid of NAT issues as even a possibility for customers with v6-capable ISPs. I've been bugging my rep about it intermittently for years now.

Yep. We pretty much gave up on Polycom except for people who ask for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which leaves who? Cisco?

I hate their newer stuff because it feels really cheap compared to the 7962 range that I was spoiled with a while back.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 9, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

Which leaves who? Cisco?

I hate their newer stuff because it feels really cheap compared to the 7962 range that I was spoiled with a while back.
Avaya, for better or worse
Smaller companies like Audiocodes (used a SIP gateway of their's that was pretty nice) too

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Polycom, Avaya, Shoretel, and to some extent Panasonic, Siemens, Toshiba - depends what you're doing really.

The veritable 7900 series of phones may be at their end as far as development is concerned as well, but their replacements (8800s really), are still shaking out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yealink or bust. :v

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

I miss the days of reinstalling the same firmware version to resolve weird issues with the phone locking up and lagging in menus.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FatCow posted:

:v::hf::cheers:

They're cheap, not prone to vendor lock-in, have all the bells and whistles, sound good, and the company is responsive to bugs and feature requests. Good enough for me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

:v::hf::cheers:

They're cheap, not prone to vendor lock-in, have all the bells and whistles, sound good, and the company is responsive to bugs and feature requests. Good enough for me.

I have a T48 testing with a customer and a T46 on my desk right now, considering the price they're drat good and I'm sure unless there's a showstopper of some sort I'll be moving a lot more of them soon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

I have a T48 testing with a customer and a T46 on my desk right now, considering the price they're drat good and I'm sure unless there's a showstopper of some sort I'll be moving a lot more of them soon.

Customers give them a funny look because all they see on TV is Cisco... which ironically sound like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

Customers give them a funny look because all they see on TV is Cisco... which ironically sound like garbage.

Maybe it's because I've been working with the things for years so they stand out, but I see pretty much as many Polycoms on TV as Ciscos. I remember House and 24 had Ciscos everywhere, but Weeds and I think Californication had Polycoms. I just started watching Blunt Talk and they had Polycoms in the conference room (two linked IP7000s on a table that was barely large enough to need extension mics, much less linked bases, but still), not sure if they're anywhere else.

I've seen Grandstreams once before as well, but never Yealink so far.

I haven't used any of the wideband Ciscos, are they really that bad? We used 7940/60s everwhere when I started, but the terrible support for non-CUCM SIP in the 79x1s made us stop caring about Cisco and we've never looked back since.