Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Can we please get this going sometime tomorrow (Thursday), say around 4/5pm eastern? I pretty much grind daily until I work & want to get as many as I can.

Sure. I keep trying to find a group in CTS, but it's always dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So, this happened today while pubstoving. Vox eat your heart out. Or is it Cheeto? Whoever here who worships the Long Guide.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

UnknownMercenary posted:

So, this happened today while pubstoving. Vox eat your heart out. Or is it Cheeto? Whoever here who worships the Long Guide.

:swoon:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well that's proof it's Dr Cheeto who is our king of Long Guide Disciples alright.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Hey, tell him he's wrong about the dozer spawns on FWB- they totally are spawned as soon as the thermite finishes- it's what makes the overdrill so manageable.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So if someone were to try and make a dumb Payday 2 Clicker / Incremental game for fun and to practice Java with, what would you think the abilities / DPS items would be?

For DPS items I was thinking the turret, gas can (like in mallcrashers or nightclub), drill (???). Maybe just use the different members of the Payday gang?

As for abilities, Inspire and 'Gitgud' seem obvious to me. Maybe a passive one where damage increase the lower the timer is on a boss enemy?

(I posted this in traditional games' Cat-Piss thread first by accident, whoopssss)

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
It's already in the game, and its the EXP bonus for going infamous.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My thanks to UnknownMerc, who carried me through DW Birth of Sky even as the pubstove roasted us alive over the course of 2 hours or so of failed attempts. UnkownMerc, you get to choose which Death Vox heist I plan out next!

edit: Merc has selected Hotline Miami, which needed a serious rewrite based on recent game design changes. I'm working on it now!

Death Vox Hotline Miami Day 1

Spawn position: You spawn, and secure bags, at the corner by the gas station for maximum exposure.
Map changes: Police will be able to path up to the back windows of hotel rooms. All hatches/tunnels spawn, but only one will be visible to the player and available for opening- more info at step 4 in “Tasks” below. The back wall of the alley will spawn. No additional random bags of cash will spawn in the hotel, but bodybags can still spawn in car trunks. Other additional loot will spawn as identified in the Tasks section below. Crowbars do not spawn in the general hotel- finding one is a specific task. Planks spawn as normal.
Enemy spawns:
Russian Gangsters have been changed so that they aren’t a complete nonissue. They're meant to parallel your crew, so they'll have AKs and IZHMAs. There will also be more of them. While their health is boosted, they still should not be a significant threat to a team with decent damage output.
Winters spawns as normal. Due to heist timing his eventual spawn is inevitable.
Snipers will spawn multiple times. Overwatch can occur.
The Gunship will make multiple passes during the aboveground parts of the day (tasks 2-5). Its attacks will hit locations near the front of the hotel with sufficient damage to down in one hit, roughly equivalent to an RPG attack.
Tasks:
1. Kill all the Russians. There are more Russians, including some that begin spawned inside hotel rooms. This step is not significantly changed.

2. The Commissar is a lot more resistant to getting on the phone. You have to begin (after killing the Russians) by burning all the cars in the lot. The gas to do so is spread over the outdoors areas of the map.

3. After this, Bain decides humiliation is the best tactic. You have to cook and secure 3 batches of meth from the lab. This isn't too hard, even with the wrinkles:
a. The meth ingredients are spread throughout the hotel rooms. This is meant to trick players into grabbing them and having uneven ingredient distribution. Ingredients will be grouped in cardboard boxes, as previously.
b. The penalty for blowing the lab is a DW-style wipe.
c. The whiteboard is a bit different on DV- three rows, each with the ingredients in a different order. You have to go down the list. Additional cooks start from the first row again.

4. Blow up the gas station. If anything, this is easier because the C4 is right next to it.

5. Open the hatch
a. The winch will be dropped onto the burning former gas station.
b. The hatch will take longer to open. The truck will run out of gas partway, and you will need to locate the remaining gascan (if you haven't already) to refuel it. (Kudos to Fauxton for this idea)
c. Once your crew gets into the bunker, the police will also start getting in- all the other hatches and tunnel entrances will also be spawned, and the police will path to and open them.
d. Six bags of weapons will be in the lockup.

6. The crowbar won't be in the lockup. Instead, replacing the washing machines and furthering the "Russian safehouse" parallel, there will be a vault to open with a thermal drill.
a. The thermal drill will be dropped near the hotel sign. Demo teams can spawn during the drilling process.
b. The inside of the vault will contain cash, gold (1-4 bags of each, random), several Russians, a video camera and a tortured, dead hostage from day 2- no C4 though. The crowbar, previously used on the hostage, can be used on the crates.

7. Crates/barcode reader.
a. Bain won't know exactly where the Commissar is. Instead he'll tell you a location and ask you to scan a barcode you think is going there. He'll have to run every location to trace the origin of the shipments.
b. The map is missing, but the locations are the same! If you remember what goes where from other runs of the heist, it will only take one try per location.
c. Only one crate of each type will actually have a barcode, but the barcode scanner will run much faster.
d. The power in the tunnels (controlling lights and the scanner) is at two powerboxes located in the tunnels surrounding the bunker. Disrupting the power pauses, but does not reset, the barcode scanner.

8. Escape Or, if you wish, stick around and cook more meth. With the guaranteed 3 batches up top, you are guaranteed 7 batches with the crates in the basement.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 7, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Death Vox Hotline Miami Day 2
Enemy spawns:
Russian Gangsters As on Day 1, Russian gangsters are generally buffed. Additionally, police and gangsters will not fight each other.
Commissar The Comissar has done a lot of coke- he will have massively buffed HP.In addition, the Commissar is feeling no pain- his hurt system will be turned off, meaning he cannot be stunned.
Snipers will spawn similarly to the normal heist. Overwatch can occur.
Demo Teams There are no demo teams on this day-the gunship is bad enough.
Tasks:
1. The Commissar has a several additional traps throughout the building. The first one is a hallway that has been doused with gas (gas can models will be lying around) and lit on fire. Fire on DV has been buffed- it isn't really possible to run through it without getting downed.
a. The fires are put out by activating the sprinkler system from a nearby valve, much like in the penthouse. This is mostly to prime players for this activity, which will be a Thing later on.

2. The gate that players need to saw or drill has a nasty surprise- it's electrified!
-Players must find a powerbox somewhere nearby on the floor to shut it off, at which point it saws/drills like normal. The powerbox isn't highlighted- players must find it. The gate always spawns in the same position.

3. At the top of the ramp: Three C4 hostages, all on the same circuit, are spread around the top of the ramp. The door to the room is also closed and has a trip laser claymore on it. 1-4 bags of cash spawn for each hostage.

4. The magnetic door is a lot more complex and finished.
a. There are three wires heading away from the door. One still ends close by, the others travel much further- through barriers, down stairs, strung across the atrium, etc.
b. The wires terminate by running into walls that are noticeably more finished and plastered than others in the heist. Players can notice them on the way up.
c. The wiring is now inside a finished wall. The player with the C4 asset has to blow each of these locations open, which means they have to travel to each of them. The walls aren't highlighted when they are found.

5. Penthouse changes:
a. The penthouse door can just be shot out.
b. 4 Bulldozers will always spawn in the penthouse.
c. Player access is narrowed by removing the two doorways that go straight from the penthouse "antechamber" into the room with the vault. This way, players will have to head through the bathroom or camera room.
d. The vault door will always be on the back of the penthouse for maximum sniper exposure.

6. The gunship is a lot more troublesome on DV. [thanks to Mas and Fauxton for suggestions to improve this and the next step]
a. First, it will be scripted to attack roughly every 60 seconds on the drill. This means it's predictable, and that the number of valve-turnings will be static.
b. Second, the fire is far, far more damaging, so you can't stick around in it.
c. Third, the drill cannot be repaired while the fire is raging.
d. Fourth, in order to put out the fire, the crew has to reroute water all the way up the building- this means getting to and using valves, starting with the one used to put out the gas on step 3, in sequence, all the way up the tower. The valves will be highlighted as each becomes available. The crew only needs to do the whole trip once- subsequent reroutings will only involve two valves, one on the third and one on the penthouse floor.

7. The thermal drill won't be dropped into a skylight- Alex will be spooked by the gunship and bail, dropping it down the atrium and forcing players all the way back down the map to retrieve it. Police will be scripted to spawn at and attempt to cordon the thermal drill location, similar to the coke on WD day 2. The first gunship pass happens as soon as you trigger the wait for the thermal drill, so you'll already be near the ground floor when Alex drops the drill.

8. There won't be any coke in the penthouse; instead, all money spawns in the vault are active (15 bags). This also means no complaints from Bain about the coke as you head up the map. 15 bags are also required for escape to be available. Cash from the hostages can compensate for or supplement your earnings.

9. Since Alex bailed, the escape will be at the Delorean, all the way back at the spawn. This is also where you need to secure bags. You can just toss bags out windows into the atrium to save time on lugging them all back down. As with the thermal drill, the police will have cordons up at the escape vehicle, as well as the stairwells on the way down.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 8, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

This also means no complaints from Bain about the coke as you head up the map.

Awful. Just terrible. Heist ruined.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So is this new version of HLM supposed to take two hours or what.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Has this game gotten any better?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
well you can use basically any gun you want without being a burden and being a one man army is much easier but aside from that its still payday 2

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

So is this new version of HLM supposed to take two hours or what.

The estimate is day 1 takes about 6 minutes longer if you're not going for 7 cooks-the scanner is a lot faster. Day 2 takes about 10-15 minutes longer, unless you're optimizing your route. In both cases there's a lot more movement around the map, with minimal required additional bag hauling.

edit: I've removed the penthouse door drill, since that's particularly boring dead time. Are there other steps you'd particularly like gone?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 8, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UigWbt15sM

I am such a dick

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

The estimate is day 1 takes about 6 minutes longer if you're not going for 7 cooks-the scanner is a lot faster. Day 2 takes about 10-15 minutes longer, unless you're optimizing your route. In both cases there's a lot more movement around the map, with minimal required additional bag hauling.

edit: I've removed the penthouse door drill, since that's particularly boring dead time. Are there other steps you'd particularly like gone?

TBH, I'm just glad you thought about how much extra time this stuff might add onto the heist.

All of these are just random thoughts, impressions, and nitpicks, so feel free to disagree or correct them:

Day 1

- I know that you can't as easily estimate their impact, but I hope you're taking the extra potential fuckery introduced by overwatch spawns and demo teams, as well as stuff like the buffed gangsters and gunship into account. In short, are those time estimates best case scenario, everyone knows every single spawn, perfect coordination numbers? What might a less skilled (but resilient) team expect? Worst case scenario?

- Hunting for gas cans seems like it might add some time. If not objectively tons of time on the clock, I'd be worried about it being a real drag to actually play (see complaints about Birth of Sky's money bundles). I guess this is a question of exactly how randomized, dickishly-placed, and numerous they'd be. Would there be exactly enough gas, or a little more than you need? Honestly the gas objective is already a little lame right now (especially if you're running ICTV and don't have the stamina to keep a steady run), so more general spawn positions for the gas is actually more of a neutral.

- I'm not a big fan of cooking meth to begin with, especially on HLM because the cook room is so boring to hold. I take it the scavenger hunt for ingredients is an attempt to reduce the tedium, but then I go back to the same questions I had regarding the gas cans. I'm also not a fan of the DW wipe condition, but on the other hand you're obviously in need of a failure state since the meth is now required. I didn't think of until now, but if you can pre-cook the meth (since presumably the objective is going to track meth placed in the car), that makes it not as bad, though you'll obviously still get delayed by needing to find ingredients (god forbid you can't find the right one to begin the cook).

- Truck takes longer. Just pointing this out as a time sink of ambiguous length. I like the gas part, but the same gas can questions apply here too.

- You completely gloss over the drill wait required to breach the basement, so presumably it's unchanged. I really hate that part. Total momentum killer, and I hate the inconsistency of Day 1's gate being C4 compatible and Day 2's saw compatible. I'm totally alright with the lengthier truck step if it's in tandem with the gate being removed entirely.

- The thermal drill sounds like it would eat up the most time. I love the little tableau with the dead cop and the crowbar a lot, though.

- I would get rid of the pointless RNG screw on the barcodes. You already get screwed by having multiple of the same possible barcode spawn so what's the point? I'm okay with the scanner assuming what you're intending is that each scan is measured in seconds and it's more about juggling barcodes and keeping the power on so you can actually start each scan. That said, system mastery bullshit is still dumb, Vox. :colbert: (Also as a side note, I do hate how the scan currently varies between lightning fast and tediously long.)

- The power boxes themselves introduce another variable time-eating obstacle, especially since you're intending for the cops to aggressively path to their location as part of other changes. (Having them also knock the lights out is a nice touch.) I think their location is also a bit boring. What if one was somewhere in the basement (replacing the slightly silly need to defend the scanner itself, because the cops magically understand its importance) and the other was up in the hotel room where the original hatch was located?

- Definite nitpick, but by doubling the number of weapons and introducing the potential for gold spawns in the basement, you are slowing down the final exit march from the map and making the bag hauling a bit more annoying. And then said loot has to be hauled to the less convenient car location to boot.

I have far fewer nitpicky complaints about Day 2; I like the setup you've got with some caveats:

- I am biased because my version of Day 2 is 3000% cooler (but 3000% more impractical to realistically implement). I've also always hated the big crescendo of the map being yet another goddamn thermal drill wait and I don't like the penthouse in general. You haven't fixed that, just made it more consistent and less exploitable, which is fine.

- You've casually mentioned it previously, and you imply it with the gate, but I take it that the apartment building's layout is now static? I know we've agreed before that the apartment block is currently wasted space but now I wonder how fun and engaging it will actually be to fight through multiple times. Also how workable it is from an enemy AI perspective. This is outside your usual scope, but it could probably do with substantial layout alterations, with fewer mazes of cubbyhole rooms and a little more open space, perhaps taking inspiration from Panic Room and Undercover.

- I'm minorly bothered that with the removal of the coke, there's no real benefit to bringing a saw for the gate.

- You don't explicitly mention it, but if the thermal drill is going to consistently break, it should otherwise not break down automatically.

- Obviously the multiple trips through the apartments (mitigated by a static layout) and randomized objective spawns are the unarguable time sinks, and big ones at that. There's no real way to draw time off of the penthouse outside of directly fudging the drill timer/gunship cadence without completely changing everything.

- Just as a sudden idea, I wonder if you could punch up the overall pace of the heist by rejiggering the dead drop into the cutting torch from Mountain (it probably wouldn't take too much effort to justify its use not only for the first door but also the magnetic lock wiring). Discovering the safe room in the penthouse triggers the gunship attack, but instead of dropping a thermal drill, Alex drops C4 back downstairs. You do that loop as normal, but it ends with blowing the safe room open (bonus change: change it to the Panic Room glass box style so the Commissar visibly agitates at you during the heist). This has the downside of de-emphasizing the gunship's overall presence and heavily reducing the penthouse holdout, the latter of which doesn't personally bother me, so :shrug: Having to place a lot of C4 and then deal with the coke-monster Commissar while the cops press in sounds much more interesting anyway. The only thing missing from the apartment treks would be the omnipresent threat of snipers/overwatch, which would be relatively simple to add in.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 8, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Good luck balancing around this Vox.

It even picks up 10 bullets a box!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Concordat posted:

I didn't know they had a Tron heist :staredog:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

dscruffy1 posted:

I didn't know they had a Tron heist :staredog:

Don't even start that.That would be too good to ever be put in this game.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

Don't even start that.That would be too good to ever be put in this game.

We have to hack it... FROM THE INSIDE.

(Insert obligatory joke about cooking cyber-meth and "I don't know, I'm going with .mp3. These internet descriptions are iffy.")

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tempest_56 posted:

(Insert obligatory joke about cooking cyber-meth and "I don't know, I'm going with .mp3. These internet descriptions are iffy.")

Cyber Cops, give the virtual cloakers a lag script and call you a n00b.

gently caress man.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

Cyber Cops, give the virtual cloakers a lag script and call you a n00b.

gently caress man.

this happens already

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Give me a loving Master Control Program mask and I'm game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Those are a lot of great points, Murdoch- I'll go through the heist with pruning shears in a bit and see if I can make it more reasonable.

Tempest_56 posted:

Locke says the files are in the computer.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Concordat posted:

Suggatron, the descendant of Sluggator, rules the future battlefields.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:words: time! I'll take a break from voxing the thread up for a while after this- I promise. Only the dentist's heists are remotely this complicated.

John Murdoch posted:

Day 1
- I know that you can't as easily estimate their impact, but I hope you're taking the extra potential fuckery introduced by overwatch spawns and demo teams, as well as stuff like the buffed gangsters and gunship into account. In short, are those time estimates best case scenario, everyone knows every single spawn, perfect coordination numbers? What might a less skilled (but resilient) team expect? Worst case scenario?
You're right- I'm assuming a level of skill that's unrealistic. You're also right that the overwatch and demo teams are probably too much. I'll do away with overwatch, but leave the possibility of continuous sniper spawns rather than each sniper spawning once ever(that's actually an unpatched bug). Players on any heist with demo teams should expect between 1 and 3 demo team spawns per drill. Train Heist is Demo Team city.
The buffed gangsters and gunship should be nonissues for any team that can run the heist normally- they're "oh hey" moments and a source of embarrassing downs to laugh at, not real threats. In particular, right now gangsters are set at damage levels based on normal difficulty.

John Murdoch posted:

- Hunting for gas cans seems like it might add some time. If not objectively tons of time on the clock, I'd be worried about it being a real drag to actually play (see complaints about Birth of Sky's money bundles). I guess this is a question of exactly how randomized, dickishly-placed, and numerous they'd be. Would there be exactly enough gas, or a little more than you need? Honestly the gas objective is already a little lame right now (especially if you're running ICTV and don't have the stamina to keep a steady run), so more general spawn positions for the gas is actually more of a neutral.
The gas cans won't dickish in location at all- they'll all be outdoors in visible locations, and you'll be able to pick them up as soon as the heist starts(I should have mentioned that). The gascan objective actually is, in a way, intended to kill time- I want the police assault to be in full force for meth cooking.

As a sidenote, I wish gas cans were a brighter red- they tend to blend in in many maps.

John Murdoch posted:

- I'm not a big fan of cooking meth to begin with, especially on HLM because the cook room is so boring to hold. I take it the scavenger hunt for ingredients is an attempt to reduce the tedium, but then I go back to the same questions I had regarding the gas cans. I'm also not a fan of the DW wipe condition, but on the other hand you're obviously in need of a failure state since the meth is now required. I didn't think of until now, but if you can pre-cook the meth (since presumably the objective is going to track meth placed in the car), that makes it not as bad, though you'll obviously still get delayed by needing to find ingredients (god forbid you can't find the right one to begin the cook).
OK, here's the revised plan for that step.
1. Two bags cooked and secured required. Winters/Turret spawn after one bag cooked.
2. Police path to and set C4 on the front wall of the lab, blowing it open (this was planned for the wall on the interior of the lab, and I suspect they were going to use it in day 2 but ran out of time). That should increase exposure.
3. No pre-cooking- it screws up the possible scripting for the heist. Ingredients can be picked up immediately, though. Ingredient spawns aren't as bad as I think I've made them sound. The plan is three cardboard boxes in random hotel rooms, One with three of each ingredient.

John Murdoch posted:

- Truck takes longer. Just pointing this out as a time sink of ambiguous length. I like the gas part, but the same gas can questions apply here too.
Again, you're right. How about this: the truck will take the same amount of time, but it will need gas first. I think it's likely that players will already have the leftover gas can.

John Murdoch posted:

- You completely gloss over the drill wait required to breach the basement, so presumably it's unchanged. I really hate that part. Total momentum killer, and I hate the inconsistency of Day 1's gate being C4 compatible and Day 2's saw compatible. I'm totally alright with the lengthier truck step if it's in tandem with the gate being removed entirely.
Ouch, you're right- I'd forgotten that step, and I hate that step. I'll remove it from the heist.

John Murdoch posted:

- The thermal drill sounds like it would eat up the most time. I love the little tableau with the dead cop and the crowbar a lot, though.
I mostly like it because of the absurdity of having Bile drop a thermal drill to get to a crowbar! The thinking is that players will move weapons out of the basement during this step. With the meth change above, they can also continue to cook.

John Murdoch posted:

- I would get rid of the pointless RNG screw on the barcodes. You already get screwed by having multiple of the same possible barcode spawn so what's the point? I'm okay with the scanner assuming what you're intending is that each scan is measured in seconds and it's more about juggling barcodes and keeping the power on so you can actually start each scan. That said, system mastery bullshit is still dumb, Vox. :colbert: (Also as a side note, I do hate how the scan currently varies between lightning fast and tediously long.)
I'm thinking about 45 seconds per barcode. That said, system mastery is great and DV is meant to encourage it. :colbert: What if instead of removing the map, I give a map filled with squiggly lines that players have to follow to figure out what goes where? The locations would be randomized, though.

John Murdoch posted:

- The power boxes themselves introduce another variable time-eating obstacle, especially since you're intending for the cops to aggressively path to their location as part of other changes. (Having them also knock the lights out is a nice touch.) I think their location is also a bit boring. What if one was somewhere in the basement (replacing the slightly silly need to defend the scanner itself, because the cops magically understand its importance) and the other was up in the hotel room where the original hatch was located?
The powerboxes used to be at street level, but this can become unfair pretty easily- I don't want to repeat the DW FF3 scenario. Given the layout of the basement with all tunnels spawned, a player won't be able to cover more than one position at once.

John Murdoch posted:

- Definite nitpick, but by doubling the number of weapons and introducing the potential for gold spawns in the basement, you are slowing down the final exit march from the map and making the bag hauling a bit more annoying. And then said loot has to be hauled to the less convenient car location to boot.
The loot's going to stay, I think- it's optional, and it's a good additional challenge. On vanilla

John Murdoch posted:

I have far fewer nitpicky complaints about Day 2; I like the setup you've got with some caveats:
- I am biased because my version of Day 2 is 3000% cooler (but 3000% more impractical to realistically implement). I've also always hated the big crescendo of the map being yet another goddamn thermal drill wait and I don't like the penthouse in general. You haven't fixed that, just made it more consistent and less exploitable, which is fine.
Hotline Miami is generally a challenge to work with because it's kind of really badly designed and made. Half the stuff in the heist is still bugged, and I think the devs have given up on it. It's part of the reason I threw the kitchen sink at the heist; I'm just struggling to make lage parts of it interesting and not an afterthought.

John Murdoch posted:

- You've casually mentioned it previously, and you imply it with the gate, but I take it that the apartment building's layout is now static? I know we've agreed before that the apartment block is currently wasted space but now I wonder how fun and engaging it will actually be to fight through multiple times. Also how workable it is from an enemy AI perspective. This is outside your usual scope, but it could probably do with substantial layout alterations, with fewer mazes of cubbyhole rooms and a little more open space, perhaps taking inspiration from Panic Room and Undercover.
I agree. The plan is that most elements of the floors are random, but obstacles (the gas hallway, the gate, the ramp, and embedded powerboxes) will be static. I'd love to improve the sightlines and such in the lower floors, but as you say that would basically require a new map. We can do away with some of the random garbage and furniture in rooms, though. They tend to make it more of a pain to navigate.

John Murdoch posted:

- I'm minorly bothered that with the removal of the coke, there's no real benefit to bringing a saw for the gate.
My thinking is players will have enough to deal with, and regulating time for coke loss will be hard to manage.Besides, the Commissar will have snorted it all.

John Murdoch posted:

- You don't explicitly mention it, but if the thermal drill is going to consistently break, it should otherwise not break down automatically.
Hrm. Yeah, ok, that's fair. Police should still be able to path to and kick it, though. I'm trying to limit the "camp far away and send someone to restart it" scenario. Ofc a restarting drill is still handy for that.

John Murdoch posted:

- Obviously the multiple trips through the apartments (mitigated by a static layout) and randomized objective spawns are the unarguable time sinks, and big ones at that. There's no real way to draw time off of the penthouse outside of directly fudging the drill timer/gunship cadence without completely changing everything.
Yep, guilty. again, day two's layout is really hard to work with.

John Murdoch posted:

- Just as a sudden idea, I wonder if you could punch up the overall pace of the heist by rejiggering the dead drop into the cutting torch from Mountain (it probably wouldn't take too much effort to justify its use not only for the first door but also the magnetic lock wiring). Discovering the safe room in the penthouse triggers the gunship attack, but instead of dropping a thermal drill, Alex drops C4 back downstairs. You do that loop as normal, but it ends with blowing the safe room open (bonus change: change it to the Panic Room glass box style so the Commissar visibly agitates at you during the heist). This has the downside of de-emphasizing the gunship's overall presence and heavily reducing the penthouse holdout, the latter of which doesn't personally bother me, so :shrug: Having to place a lot of C4 and then deal with the coke-monster Commissar while the cops press in sounds much more interesting anyway. The only thing missing from the apartment treks would be the omnipresent threat of snipers/overwatch, which would be relatively simple to add in.
This is an agree to disagree moment, I think. I really want the lower parts of the map to have more use, but I also like the intensity of the penthouse.

Ooh, new plan. Instead of a saferoom, the Commisar hides inside one of those timelock Titan safes from lab rats and santa's workshop. When you open it, he pops out with twosix almir's toast! The toast is required to escape the map. :v:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
More :words: yay!

Discendo Vox posted:

You're right- I'm assuming a level of skill that's unrealistic. You're also right that the overwatch and demo teams are probably too much. I'll do away with overwatch, but leave the possibility of continuous sniper spawns rather than each sniper spawning once ever(that's actually an unpatched bug). Players on any heist with demo teams should expect between 1 and 3 demo team spawns per drill. Train Heist is Demo Team city.
The buffed gangsters and gunship should be nonissues for any team that can run the heist normally- they're "oh hey" moments and a source of embarrassing downs to laugh at, not real threats. In particular, right now gangsters are set at damage levels based on normal difficulty.
I mostly included the gangsters and gunship as minor X factors that might have an additional knock-on effect. By themselves I wouldn't expect them to really bother anyone, but with disastrous bad luck, someone losing a down (or getting their health shaved off) early might influence the difficulty down the line. Overwatch is definitely the big problem because it'll destroy lesser teams while forcing better ones to meticulously cull every sniper off the map, in the middle of dealing with everything else. Honestly HLM1 probably works better for it just because, even if the sniper spawns are pretty dickish, you always have the option of retreating behind the hotel at the expense of having to deal with the cop waterfalls back there. And you even get more options against potential sniper spawns thanks to the extra tunnels being open.

Discendo Vox posted:

The gas cans won't dickish in location at all- they'll all be outdoors in visible locations, and you'll be able to pick them up as soon as the heist starts(I should have mentioned that). The gascan objective actually is, in a way, intended to kill time- I want the police assault to be in full force for meth cooking.

As a sidenote, I wish gas cans were a brighter red- they tend to blend in in many maps.
Sounds good. I forget, doesn't DV remove assets entirely? One of the reasons why HLM can be such a snore is because there's no reason not to get delayed police response. That and the whole 75% aggression bug, which I'm sure you'd fix.

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, here's the revised plan for that step.
1. Two bags cooked and secured required. Winters/Turret spawn after one bag cooked.
2. Police path to and set C4 on the front wall of the lab, blowing it open (this was planned for the wall on the interior of the lab, and I suspect they were going to use it in day 2 but ran out of time). That should increase exposure.
3. No pre-cooking- it screws up the possible scripting for the heist. Ingredients can be picked up immediately, though. Ingredient spawns aren't as bad as I think I've made them sound. The plan is three cardboard boxes in random hotel rooms, One with three of each ingredient.
The C4 thing sounds kinda goofy, insomuch that I don't see the cops ever getting much of a chance to get close enough to do it without cheating (same with the interior wall, maybe that's one reason why they canned it). There's a much better means of blowing up cover in the form of the gunship. Forcing the players out of the comfort zone of endless hard cover and having to make use of the bathrooms and props does sounds like it would add some much needed tension. Ingredient spawns also sound good and much better than I thought.

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, you're right. How about this: the truck will take the same amount of time, but it will need gas first. I think it's likely that players will already have the leftover gas can.

Ouch, you're right- I'd forgotten that step, and I hate that step. I'll remove it from the heist.
Like I said, just take some of the time originally spent on the drill and add it to the truck and it's all good. I wonder if originally you were intended to just crowbar the hatch open and they added the truck step on top of it without removing the redundant drill. As it stands, it's pointless padding and the most frustrating of short, constantly breaking drills.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm thinking about 45 seconds per barcode. That said, system mastery is great and DV is meant to encourage it. :colbert: What if instead of removing the map, I give a map filled with squiggly lines that players have to follow to figure out what goes where? The locations would be randomized, though.
I'd just shave a few seconds off each scan and make the locations randomized. There's enough moving parts being introduced (and an additional, longer but simpler holdout phase being added via the thermal drill) that I don't see much purpose in overcomplicating the scanner section. The open tunnels will make things more hectic, but the basement itself isn't a hugely interesting location to defend.

Discendo Vox posted:

The powerboxes used to be at street level, but this can become unfair pretty easily- I don't want to repeat the DW FF3 scenario. Given the layout of the basement with all tunnels spawned, a player won't be able to cover more than one position at once.
I definitely wouldn't want them to be split far apart either. My idea just nudges them around a bit, keeping the same general distance between them just with slightly different and more interesting defense locations than drab corridors.

Discendo Vox posted:

The loot's going to stay, I think- it's optional, and it's a good additional challenge. On vanilla
I think you forgot to finish your thought. :P Like I said, definitely a nitpick, but this is a player psychology thing. If the loot is freely available (and sometimes even if it isn't), then players will gravitate towards always taking all of it it rather than leaving it due to impracticality. (I think one of the reasons I've come to hate cooking meth on HLM1 is because people used to insist on all 7 cooks.) I see now that you specifically indicated required bag hauling, but that part of your previous post was why I brought it up.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hotline Miami is generally a challenge to work with because it's kind of really badly designed and made. Half the stuff in the heist is still bugged, and I think the devs have given up on it. It's part of the reason I threw the kitchen sink at the heist; I'm just struggling to make lage parts of it interesting and not an afterthought.
Agreed. That's why I'm so cavalier about bulldozing a lot of Day 2, though my original revamp actually sticks much closer to the overall pace we currently have compared to the off the cuff idea I came up with in my reply.

Discendo Vox posted:

My thinking is players will have enough to deal with, and regulating time for coke loss will be hard to manage.Besides, the Commissar will have snorted it all.
Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't want Bain nagging about the coke anyway. My complaint really boils down to Overkill having no consistency when it comes to how and when various tools can be used. HLM2 actually stands out a bit because you're barred from C4ing the gate at all while also having objective C4 in tow...because you need to save all three remaining charges to blow open a seemingly normal set of double doors. It's another little nagging player psychology thing - the game helpfully points out all these cool places you can put that saw to use...just once, in heists where the saw is otherwise dead weight. Total beginner trap. At least right now on HLM2 you get the token reward of some extra coke as a trade-off for bringing the saw to speed things up.

I think that gate bugs me extra because it's just an arbitrary roadblock without any context. Shouldn't someone have the keys to the thing? There's just the one gate...is it being used a security checkpoint by the gangsters? But then why is there a hapless civ behind it (presumably working on the construction he's mostly nowhere near)? Your design at least makes it clear it's another gently caress you trap in the Commissar's funhouse full of gently caress you traps.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hrm. Yeah, ok, that's fair. Police should still be able to path to and kick it, though. I'm trying to limit the "camp far away and send someone to restart it" scenario. Ofc a restarting drill is still handy for that.
My thought exactly; there's just no benefit of added RNG fuckery if it's going to both be on a schedule and be vulnerable to the cops.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 9, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also this is me quoting myself from the previous thread so my :krad: HLM Day 2 idea isn't lost to the annals of time.

quote:

I personally don't totally hate it (and I've certainly cooled on it a bit compared to when it first came out), but I can see why Day 2 isn't particularly appealing. From a design standpoint, it has all these nifty ideas that it doesn't really manage to do anything with.

Going past the usual issue we bring up that the first three floors are wasted space, I think the big penthouse finale is ultimately kind of tedious and uninteresting unless you really, really love shooting endless waves of cops, alternating between challenging close quarters encounters and picking off slightly longer-range sniper waves. The problem is that there's no real change of pace or scenery and because of how the map flows, there's no reason to ever really leave the confines of the two corner rooms with occasional trips to the outer hallway to pick off snipers.

I think it would've worked better (but obviously would've been more complicated to design) if you were forced to climb up to the roof in order to reach the water valves, thereby putting you into more varied encounters with the cops (as opposed to same 4-5 tiresome spawn patterns climbing down from above) and drawing you out into the open so the gunship could fire directly at you.

There's also something to be said about the finale being a bit unsatisfying in the face of the dramatic momentum the entire previous day and the ascent successfully build up. It's yet another thermal drill defense with a few vague gimmicks thrown in. gently caress drilling that rear end in a top hat out, we should've pulled a reverse Panic Room on the Commissar - blow up the supports underneath the vault so he takes an elevator ride straight to hell. :black101: Death Voxian bonus: The vault would have more than a mere three money bags worth of loot inside if you want to brave going down into the depths of the complex to fish it out. And now the fire's raging out of control and the building's opening up like a Swiss cheese.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

all you had to do CJ was follow the drat train

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I think that deserves more than a 10 point deduction

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/md704rp.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/gfegsQa.gifv

it was a weird heist

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hey I'm testing a theory. What is the highest number of safes someone has in their steam inventory that were all drops? At any one time, not lifetime.

right now I have 5 at once. Wondering if anyone has 6+

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Psion posted:

hey I'm testing a theory. What is the highest number of safes someone has in their steam inventory that were all drops? At any one time, not lifetime.

right now I have 5 at once. Wondering if anyone has 6+

I've got 6. 2 Bodhi safes, 2 Crimefests, 2 Sputniks.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

7 here. 5 Sputniks, 1 Dallas, 1 Bodhi.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
12 in my inventory: 3 Crimfest, 4 Sputniks, 3 Dallas, 2 Bodhi

I just want a goddamn drill to drop :negative:

Blight Runner fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 9, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Concordat posted:

Bustin' makes me feel good :getin:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
9 safes including an unopened Christmas and Completely OVERKILL one with their respective drills. 4 Crimefest 2, 2 Dallas and 1 Sputnik.

So I guess the gas pellet can be dropped on a specific area and be left behind by the van? Would be neat to use that against the cops when they try to use a turret as a roadblock.

Also Murdoch, at this point it'd be more fun to just use all of our fire tools and somehow burn him alive in his own safe. Melt him and his money. But then again it'd be easier to combine our ideas and just thermite the floor and have him descend down several times until either he falls or the building's weak enough to just collapse and we have to rush to escape it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 9, 2016

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
8 safes here. 3 Crimefest, 3 Sputnik, 2 Dallas.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crabtree posted:

Also Murdoch, at this point it'd be more fun to just use all of our fire tools and somehow burn him alive in his own safe. Melt him and his money. But then again it'd be easier to combine our ideas and just thermite the floor and have him descend down several times until either he falls or the building's weak enough to just collapse and we have to rush to escape it.

Bringing down the Commissar's entire house down onto him is also pretty awesome. Fits in with how the hotel steadily gets more and more hosed up as Day 1 progresses.

If we were gonna burn him, Hoxton would have to make a joke about Matt. Maybe the way to do it is sabotage the air system the safe room has to have. And by sabotage, I mean just hook up pure oxygen and :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

Bringing down the Commissar's entire house down onto him is also pretty awesome. Fits in with how the hotel steadily gets more and more hosed up as Day 1 progresses.

If we were gonna burn him, Hoxton would have to make a joke about Matt. Maybe the way to do it is sabotage the air system the safe room has to have. And by sabotage, I mean just hook up pure oxygen and :supaburn:

But then we'd burn the cash, too!