Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Large chunks of Wales don't (didn't? Oh, who am I kidding. Like we'd spend money on basic heating infrastructure) have mains gas, and had big tanks of Calor Gas instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Over in Belgium not all houses are hooked up for gas either, and a decent amount of people still use heating oil, along with electric boilers for hot water. Apparently it's slightly cheaper on a yearly basis, but you do have the hassle of keeping track of your fuel level and you can only order in reasonably large quantities as opposed to just a monthly utilities bill. Maintenance is also a bit more complicated than your average gas boiler.

It's starting to vanish though, but still very common in older houses, mainly due to the lack of gas lines when they were built and the utilities companies charging a decent fee for a connection, along with the hassle and cost of removing an existing oil installation, since most oil tanks tend to be installed in the basement with a pipe to the street for filling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laugh all you want but I bet you get really good at hitting the tennis ball.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Don't you guys have a lot of oil? Natural gas is basically a byproduct of drilling for oil IIRC

We do, but it's all offshore - and on the wrong side of the country for where most of us live. I guess you could run a gas pipeline over the mountains or around the coast, and digging up the streets to lay pipes is also entirely possible. Still, you would be betting an awful lot of money on a dubious business proposition - especially since nobody here is used to gas as an alternative in the house.

I guess you could do LPG tankers to Oslo and distribute from storage tanks, but again I seriously doubt you'd recoup the investment anytime soon.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jan 8, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Natural gas is one of those things you don't realize how awesome it is until you have used it.

Gas heat, hot water. clothes driers, and cooktops are all as good as or better than their electric/oil equivalent and are much, much cheaper to operate. Here gas is $3.50/MBTU. The same amount of energy would be $15.50 worth of heating oil or $23.40 worth of electricity.

As for why it isn't used much in some areas - it was a lot easier to switch houses over from wood/coal to oil one by one or electricity (which was being run anyway) than run gas lines. And natural gas wasn't a thing until the 50-60s int he US and the 80s in Europe so in the past those gas lines were filled with coal gas which firmly belongs in this thread. All of people's fears about gas originate from coal gas (or the close equivalent wood gas) and which was odorless and 10% or more carbon monoxide. Combined with now unused dumb pilot lights in ovens or heaters it was entirely too easy for leak or to go undetected until the concentration in the air got high enough to be deadly or explosive.

Modern systems either use piezoelectric ignition on demand or if they do have pilot lights they have flame sensors which will cut gas supply if the pilot goes out. Newer cooktops have automatic reignition which uses the electrical conductivity of the flame passing by the piezoelectric ignitor to detect the flame and relight it if it goes out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Natural gas is one of those things you don't realize how awesome it is until you have used it.

Hell, a few years back we had a hell of an ice storm where I live. Power was out for days and days. We (my housemates and I) had a LOT of electronics, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving the house and camping out at a friend's like the housemates did. I couldn't use any of the electronics and was living by candlelight, but at least I could cook and take a hot shower...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This chat reminds of a technology I've never been exposed to myself but have read about : AGA stoves:

It's one of those things that's horribly divisive, but having never been around one I can't offer a personal opinion. However, when you read this line:

quote:

This would indicate that the smallest traditional two-oven gas AGA providing simple cooking functions (i.e. no water heating or central heating) consumes almost as much gas in a week as a standard gas oven/hob does in nine months.

I mean, if you were actively trying to make something horribly inefficient, you'd probably have a tough time meeting the standard set by this thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

works on the principle that a heavy frame made from cast iron components can absorb heat from a relatively low-intensity but continuously-burning source, and the accumulated heat can then be used when needed for cooking

I don’t get it. What’s so hard about having a large burner?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Am I reading it right in that it's turned on 24/7? I could see that being really good for the time and place it was developed, since if you were living in Sweden in the 1920s you'd probably have a coal burning furnace running all the time anyway. But using one in 2016? gently caress.

e:

quote:

It began when the gas bill landed on the mat. “This is outrageous,” my husband James yelled. “There’s no way we can afford this.” The bill in question covered seven weeks between January and February this year. It came to £682.30.

Given we’d been on holiday for one of those weeks, the figure was shocking. James had no doubt where the blame lay. “It’s your Aga,” he declared. “It’s got to go.”

Our friends had spotted the glaring design flaw. When David Cameron excused the Aga in his constituency home by saying he only turned it on when he was there, it made me doubt his fitness to lead the country. Because Agas only work properly if they’re turned on all the time. All day, all night, all year round. When we’re on holiday, or at the height of summer (which fortunately has lasted for just two days in recent years) the Aga continually radiates useless heat. As gas prices soar, we’re literally burning money.

Still, we continued to find get-outs. We work at home and use the Aga on and off all day, so we were using it at full capacity. But more and more, unease tempered my enjoyment of my juicy venison casseroles. Last year environmentalist George Monbiot launched a crusade against middle-class Aga owners. “I’ve lost count of the number of aspirational middle-class greens I know who own one of these monsters and believe that they are somehow compatible – perhaps because they look good in a country kitchen – with a green lifestyle,” he said.

The annual carbon footprint of my two-oven gas Aga is four tons, I discovered, two thirds of what an entire average British home emits in a year, a whole ton more than government targets for individual houses by 2020. In this light, my sneering at my neighbours for driving 4x4s, my rubbishing patio heaters and my obsessive recycling of the insides of loo rolls seemed deeply ironic.

I’ve been doing everything I can to offset my Aga’s footprint. I never drive and we have no separate kettle or toaster and no tumble dryer, meaning, as one school-mum friend cheerily pointed out: “whenever I walk past your house I can see your wet knickers on the cooker.”

We’re not the only ones to be having second thoughts. Last week Aga announced annual profits had dropped by 97 per cent, from £14.4 million to £500,000 (although sales levelled out in the second half of the year).

Despite this, I couldn’t bear to let go. Mary Berry, author of dozens of Aga cook books, sympathises. “I know of so many husbands who say 'Good God, this is costing a lot of money’ but our house would be unhappy without it. It’s at the hub of the home: our children did their homework by it, my husband dries the dogs on it, I’ve just washed a jumper and folded it on one of the lids so it won’t need ironing. I don’t want to have Botox or my varicose veins sorted so why not allow myself this luxury.”

Inspired by Berry, I upped my campaign. There were other reasons for the monster bill: it’s been the coldest winter in 25 years, we live in a big, draughty Victorian house and working from home means the heating is almost always on. Mercifully, a heating engineer confirmed this. He calculated our Aga is costing us around £14 a week and our lack of room thermostats was a bigger culprit. “People spend £50 a month on cable television,” I begged James. “I’ll forsake America’s Next Top Model for life in return for the Aga.”

So our Aga is reprieved. But I fear the stay is temporary. It’s like living with an errant husband, turning a blind eye to his obvious flaws, because I can’t imagine life without him. But at least there’ll still be drop scones for tea.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7488832/My-aga-love-affair-is-cooling.html

:stare:

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 8, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

feedmegin posted:

I seriously doubt Deus Ex was written with multithreading support, so I'm not sure why that helped!

It's a timing issue iirc. The game sees multiple cores running at different frequencies and it throws the game logic out of sync.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Shifty Pony posted:

Gas heat, hot water. clothes driers, and cooktops are all as good as or better than their electric/oil equivalent and are much, much cheaper to operate. Here gas is $3.50/MBTU. The same amount of energy would be $15.50 worth of heating oil or $23.40 worth of electricity.

Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland are prolific users of Combined Heat and Power. Most of us simply get piping hot water delivered to a heat exchanger instead of having a burner of some kind in a closet. Hence there isn't much of a consumer market for gas.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Am I reading it right in that it's turned on 24/7? I could see that being really good for the time and place it was developed, since if you were living in Sweden in the 1920s you'd probably have a coal burning furnace running all the time anyway. But using one in 2016? gently caress.

e:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7488832/My-aga-love-affair-is-cooling.html

:stare:

quote:

... my obsessive recycling of the insides of loo rolls...
Wait.. what? I hope this isn't what it sounds like, Typhoid Mary.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Trabant posted:

This chat reminds of a technology I've never been exposed to myself but have read about : AGA stoves:

It's one of those things that's horribly divisive, but having never been around one I can't offer a personal opinion. However, when you read this line:

I mean, if you were actively trying to make something horribly inefficient, you'd probably have a tough time meeting the standard set by this thing.

I'd never heard of these things. It seems like the idea is that it runs all the time no matter what and you can occasionally heat other stuff up with it? Seems bonkers to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland are prolific users of Combined Heat and Power. Most of us simply get piping hot water delivered to a heat exchanger instead of having a burner of some kind in a closet. Hence there isn't much of a consumer market for gas.

Gas is still piped to most of Copenhagen, but these days it's only used for gas ranges. So while my heating is supplied centrally, I use gas to cook. The oven is electric, though.

And I wouldn't have it any other way, gas is so much better than electric hotplates. The only alternative that comes close is induction, but that has its own drawbacks.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

Wait.. what? I hope this isn't what it sounds like, Typhoid Mary.

I assume she means doing poo poo like this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KozmoNaut posted:

Gas is still piped to most of Copenhagen, but these days it's only used for gas ranges. So while my heating is supplied centrally, I use gas to cook. The oven is electric, though.

And I wouldn't have it any other way, gas is so much better than electric hotplates. The only alternative that comes close is induction, but that has its own drawbacks.

The main drawback of induction beyond being powered by magic and the devil is that you have to buy all new cookware. Unless all your pans are cast iron, in which case you're fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If I ever had to switch to induction, I would insist on a 3-4+KW range like they use in restaurant kitchens. Holy poo poo those things are crazy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm not sure that's wise. "just a sec hun I'll just steam some milk *milk flash boils and cooks KozmoNaut face*".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

It's a timing issue iirc. The game sees multiple cores running at different frequencies and it throws the game logic out of sync.

Yeah the same thing happens to a bunch of old games from before multi-core, like Everquest. The game's timing gets all kind of hosed up in inconsistent ways. Luckily there's a 3rd party client somebody wrote that fixes it.

Its funny because the game mostly works but then you try to climb a ladder or swim or something and everything behaves really odd.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boiled Water posted:

The main drawback of induction beyond being powered by magic and the devil is that you have to buy all new cookware. Unless all your pans are cast iron...

Or carbon steel, or 400 stainless, or have an internal or external layer of one of those.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Or carbon steel, or 400 stainless, or have an internal or external layer of one of those.

There are even induction plates that kind of work with aluminium, but those probably cost more than just buying the few pans and pots a household needs.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Here's a technology that belongs in this thread: Automatic seatbelts.

For those who don't know or weren't in the US in the late 80's/early 90's, the NHSTA mandated that all cars have some kind of "Passive Restraint" system, such as airbags. But since airbags at the time were too expensive to include in every car, the wording of the law allowed car manufacturers to use an alternative system.

In this case, on the front seats was a motorized seat belt that went across the shoulders. Though you till had to fasten the lap belt yourself.

My first car had them, and my current car has them.

Car manufacturers stopped including them when they realized that automatic seat belts were godawful and nobody wanted them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Instant Sunrise posted:

For those who don't know or weren't in the US in the late 80's/early 90's, the NHSTA mandated that all cars have some kind of "Passive Restraint" system, such as airbags. But since airbags at the time were too expensive to include in every car, the wording of the law allowed car manufacturers to use an alternative system.

In this case, on the front seats was a motorized seat belt that went across the shoulders. Though you till had to fasten the lap belt yourself.

Car manufacturers stopped including them when they realized that automatic seat belts were godawful and nobody wanted them.

My car from like 2 years ago was one of those old 80s/90s Hondas with the box design and the automatic seatbelts. They're so weird when you're riding in somebody else's car and you're not used to them, same with other people riding in your car if you have them. Its always like "oh", but not in like an impressive way, just kinda... there.

Problem is the stupid motor on the belt died and then my seatbelt wouldn't loving work anymore! So much for that :v: I'd rather have non-motorized seatbelts that "just work" thanks. (In theory there was some backup factory safety feature where you could unpin the seatbelt from the track and manually move it, but I couldn't figure out how for the life of me and ended up junking the car. It had a poo poo ton of other issues too though, windows that wouldn't move anymore, leaking oil, cracked radiator, clutch didn't have much life left, poo poo. But that car went through hell for me.)

The fact that you still had to fasten the lower belt and it only did the upper belt for you automatically made the whole thing pointless. Maybe if you could do both automatically that'd be kinda nice? But even then seatbelts don't take but half a second to put on.

Just one of those false "futuristic" features of cars.

I remember in the early 90s my dad had a car with a voice unit, that would actually talk to you. "Driver door ajar...driver door ajar..." It was this weird robotic female voice. Very 80s.

Also the doors had keypads on them where you could like enter a password to unlock them if you didn't have the key? :v:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh god I had blocked out the memory of those pieces of poo poo. I had a Mazda that didn't work for poo poo, and god help you if you forgot about it trying to get out of the car in a hurry as it tried to decapitate you (weakly but still "Oh goddamit" inducing). Naturally it soon broke and the result was having to clip and unclip the shoulder belt from it for it to function.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

It's a bit counter to the thread, but what happened to municipal heating?

I recently bought a house in a new development that gets hot water and heating from a plant and we pay 0.05p KWh vs 4p for gas and 13p for electricity.

Why did it stop being a thing? And why don't I have the heating on?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

My car from like 2 years ago was one of those old 80s/90s Hondas with the box design and the automatic seatbelts. They're so weird when you're riding in somebody else's car and you're not used to them, same with other people riding in your car if you have them. Its always like "oh", but not in like an impressive way, just kinda... there.

Problem is the stupid motor on the belt died and then my seatbelt wouldn't loving work anymore! So much for that :v: I'd rather have non-motorized seatbelts that "just work" thanks. (In theory there was some backup factory safety feature where you could unpin the seatbelt from the track and manually move it, but I couldn't figure out how for the life of me and ended up junking the car. It had a poo poo ton of other issues too though, windows that wouldn't move anymore, leaking oil, cracked radiator, clutch didn't have much life left, poo poo. But that car went through hell for me.)

The fact that you still had to fasten the lower belt and it only did the upper belt for you automatically made the whole thing pointless. Maybe if you could do both automatically that'd be kinda nice? But even then seatbelts don't take but half a second to put on.

Just one of those false "futuristic" features of cars.

I remember in the early 90s my dad had a car with a voice unit, that would actually talk to you. "Driver door ajar...driver door ajar..." It was this weird robotic female voice. Very 80s.

Also the doors had keypads on them where you could like enter a password to unlock them if you didn't have the key? :v:

My first two cars when I was a teenager had these sons of a bitches (a 87 Camry, then a 94 Subaru). They irritated the poo poo out of me and any passenger, whoever it was.

I got pulled over once for "looking like I wasn't wearing my seatbelt" because I wore a black shirt, I think. I told the officer I wish I could take this loving seatbelt off sir, but it's automatic and I can't.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I recall seeing a video a while back showing how some of them worked off of a sort of clockwork music box instead of a voice synthesizer, but I can't seem to find it right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsJ9i2p3yE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY8J6kCv2tE

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is the best thing, I want a pleasant japanese robot to talk to me when I leave my lights on :3:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Instant Sunrise posted:

You might want to add those seatbelts mounted to the door. The idea was that you left the belt buckled and whenever you wanted to get in or out of the car, you could just open the door and slide underneath the belt. I think all of the early (pre-96) W-body GM cars had that setup.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Samizdata posted:

Hell, a few years back we had a hell of an ice storm where I live. Power was out for days and days. We (my housemates and I) had a LOT of electronics, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving the house and camping out at a friend's like the housemates did. I couldn't use any of the electronics and was living by candlelight, but at least I could cook and take a hot shower...
My previous house (built in the post-WWII suburban housing boom) had gas appliances. A gas stove is much nicer to cook on than electric. Always freaked my partner out when I'd light it with a match when the electricity was out. But, as a Texan, I am intimately familiar with the dangers of gas, and know how to use it properly. My maternal grandparents' house, built a few years earlier, had gas heaters in every room, though by the time I came around they'd modernized to central HVAC, probably because my dad and two of his brothers ran an HVAC shop and cut the in-laws a deal.

Both my and my gran's houses had gas furnaces, but the controls and fans are electric, so that wouldn't help when the power was out.

Grandparents also had a gas fireplace, fake logs and all. That was kinda weird in retrospect, having had a couple of places with actual fireplaces since I moved out on my own. I suppose it made sense at the time, rather than having a blank wall and one of those gas heaters in the corner of the living room in those pre-TV days. The house my parents built for themselves has all electric appliances, but they ran a gas pipe to the living room in case they did want to later install a fake fireplace.

xlevus posted:

It's a bit counter to the thread, but what happened to municipal heating?

I recently bought a house in a new development that gets hot water and heating from a plant and we pay 0.05p KWh vs 4p for gas and 13p for electricity.

Why did it stop being a thing? And why don't I have the heating on?
ConEd still pipes steam around Manhattan to business customers. The electric plants make steam no matter what, so they may as well use the whole city as a heat exchanger, and make a little free money in the process. Most places don't nowadays because their power plants are located farther out from the city (or at least the part of the city people live in) for NIMBY/property value reasons.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

You might want to add those seatbelts mounted to the door. The idea was that you left the belt buckled and whenever you wanted to get in or out of the car, you could just open the door and slide underneath the belt. I think all of the early (pre-96) W-body GM cars had that setup.
On the other extreme, I used to have a '71 Chevy Nova that had separate lap and shoulder belts, with little clips above the door to hold the shoulder belts when not in use.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Jan 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

I recall seeing a video a while back showing how some of them worked off of a sort of clockwork music box instead of a voice synthesizer, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Ah yeah now that I think about it I think my dad's car was a Mitsubishi at the time. Could be wrong but I think so.

That Japanese woman's voice is adorable :3: Reminds me of the subway in Tokyo.

The male voice on top sounds like some serious WarGames voice, "shall we play a game"

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think this may have been posted in this thread before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJBko3-oV4

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

If you can stick a fridge magnet to your cookware, induction tops will work with your current stuff.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
If it conducts electricity, induction cooktops will work with it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

If you can stick a fridge magnet to your cookware, induction tops will work with your current stuff.

ArcMage posted:

If it conducts electricity, induction cooktops will work with it.

And this is why we talk about a nifty little thing called electromagnetism.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Z8X2se_Fg

The Kaypro Robie: evidently, it didn't sell very well due to its floppy drives being monstrous, disk-destroying horrorshows, but drat if it doesn't look cool. So cool, in fact, that despite its poor sales, it still ended up making a few cameo appearances in quintessential '80s shows such as Miami Vice and Moonlighting.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd never heard of these things. It seems like the idea is that it runs all the time no matter what and you can occasionally heat other stuff up with it? Seems bonkers to me.

The house I spent most of my childhood in had an AGA exactly like the one in the picture (cream colour, four ovens, two hotplates and a warming plate). It was oil-fired, which must be the only way to make them remotely financially practical to run given what gas/electricity costs (I think you can still get solid-fuel ones which you have to top up every day).

The whole idea is that you have a very small, central heating unit which slowly heats up the cast iron structure, which is designed to channel/conduct the heat in varying amounts to different parts. It takes about 48 hours for everything to reach the proper temperature if you fire it up from cold (and a similar amount of time to cool down if you switch it off) and then it's on all the time. The environmental footprint must be horrendous and I'm sure they must cost much more than just having a normal oven. Like that Telegraph article implied, they're very much a British rural upper-middle-class status symbol but these days they must surely be considered obsolete.

But they are fantastically convenient and I haven't come across a better, easier device for cooking. You have three ovens all at different temperatures, plus a warming oven, so you can do multiple stages of cooking at once, plus two hotplates - one for boiling, one for simmering. There's no waiting for the thing to warm up (it's just 'there') and all the ovens have a very even, steady heat. You don't really have to clean it, either, as any spills or spatters just get burnt up and you sweep out the ovens/plates every now and then.

The one we had was also hooked up to the hot water but the tank was too big for it to raise the temperature much above luke-warm by itself, but it must have helped reduce the load on the oil-fired boiler at bit (probably not by anything like enough to offset the AGA's running costs, though). Same went for the central heating - there were no radiators in the kitchen/dining room (one big room) and even with the heating off the AGA kept the ground floor of the house comfortable unless it was really cold weather. If it was a really hot summer the AGA would go off for a couple of months and we'd use an electric hob and a microwave.

Basically, I'm they're great if you're Swedish (and/or blind - the guy who invented it was blinded in an industrial accident and wanted a cooker that was easy to use) or if you live in the British countryside where the weather can be poo poo at any time of the year and you can afford the running costs. And you don't give a gently caress about the carbon footprint or fuel consumption.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really love looking up old versions of software I see all the time. Check out Ableton :

Steam:

Winamp !

[sandstorm begins playing mentally]

Firefox:

I looked up one for VLC, but it's not really changed at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

well why not posted:

Winamp !

[sandstorm begins playing mentally]

Whoever took that screenshot needs to learn how to use an equalizer :argh:

E: Oh, it isn't even turned on. Outrage over, I guess.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BalloonFish posted:

The house I spent most of my childhood in had an AGA exactly like the one in the picture (cream colour, four ovens, two hotplates and a warming plate). It was oil-fired, which must be the only way to make them remotely financially practical to run given what gas/electricity costs (I think you can still get solid-fuel ones which you have to top up every day).

Oil is no cheaper per kWh than natural gas right now when the price is at its lowest in 6 years. Until a year or so ago even kerosene wasn't cheaper.

It's mostly the increase in fuel duties over the last 20 years that has made AGAs truly uneconomical, though. The introduction of electricity is what turned them into a nostalgic status symbol. In a properly built non-electric home your AGA would be the only source of heating and hot water that you needed, and you'd use a bit of the fuel for it in lamps.