Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

JerryLee posted:

(the wind is blowing directly out of the CEO's butt)

And into this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Well, leaving fantasy alone or discontinuing it cost a lot less than developing a brand new product. If the sales were the same or even slightly better than old fantasy, it still wouldn't make up for the cost of creating and pushing out the new product.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

guts and bolts posted:

camera pans over Luke Skywalker's hand tumbling into a laundry chute in the Cloud City

hence why empire strikes back is the only star wars movie that is not a horrible mary sue-filled disgrace to the series I guess

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, leaving fantasy alone or discontinuing it cost a lot less than developing a brand new product. If the sales were the same or even slightly better than old fantasy, it still wouldn't make up for the cost of creating and pushing out the new product.

Did they even spend much more on R&D than they normally do for fantasy? AoS got 2 small factions of new dudes (3 if you count dorfs), a bunch of repacks with round bases, and rules an intern could bang out in an afternoon.

e: Oh, and that big castle thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They paid $4M pounds for the website, the CEO probably spent an afternoon writing the AoS rules and expensed $1-2M pounds capital to himself.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

No, really. Just because you hate the message doesn't meant it wasn't an artfully constructed film with a coherent message.

Now, getting irate because that message is "Ridley Scott thinks you're an rear end in a top hat for wanting another Alien film" is reasonable, but don't confuse it for being a poo poo film.
It certainly was a gorgeous film from a cinematography perspective. And I'd even grant that it was well-acted. But when the people who have the best idea about why quarantine protocols exist do poo poo as dumb as the doctor did? When mankind's first contact with something slippery and alien is effectively, "C'mere li'l guy!" ? That's just badly written, and badly written enough that it drags the rest of the movie into the toilet. It makes me hate it all the worse because I can see how much potential it had, how good it could have been.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

hence why empire strikes back is the only star wars movie that is not a horrible mary sue-filled disgrace to the series I guess

You are absolutely entitled to that opinion, which I disagree with.

Ilor posted:

It certainly was a gorgeous film from a cinematography perspective. And I'd even grant that it was well-acted. But when the people who have the best idea about why quarantine protocols exist do poo poo as dumb as the doctor did? When mankind's first contact with something slippery and alien is effectively, "C'mere li'l guy!" ? That's just badly written, and badly written enough that it drags the rest of the movie into the toilet. It makes me hate it all the worse because I can see how much potential it had, how good it could have been.

I liked Prometheus despite some of the glaring flaws, but there really are just too many times where characters behave like badly-written horror movie clichés instead of people. Sticking a goopy alien up to your face, opening the door for a guy who appears to have folded himself completely in half the wrong way, running away from the rolling death in a straight line when literally a few strides to either side would get you to safety, etc.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
No pay wall on this one here.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/08/games-workshop-fails-weave-christmas-magic

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Name one bad thing he's done. And if you say 'Noah' then we're no longer friends.

You'll get no arguments from me, sir.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang, this thread moved fast this evening.

guts and bolts posted:

I already died on this hill, but gently caress it!

OK, actually I think you've convinced me. Yeah. Rey needed to be less competent from the outset, and she needed to overcome a personal failing or two in a way that represented growth as a character. I think she did at some point overcome her reluctance to move forward, but that wasn't enough. I still like her as a character but maybe that's just because of the good acting. Also, you presented a well-reasoned argument and you managed to do it without being a tremendous rear end in a top hat, so thank you for that.

In other news, Prometheus was a really frustrating movie for me. I went in with no expectations, having avoided all the trailers and spoilers. It was visually spectacular, but I was constantly pulled out of the movie by sheer incredulity when almost every character did inexplicably stupid things constantly. The alien poo poo was unnecessarily complicated, half the characters were suicidally incompetent for no reason, the old guy was a young actor in terrible makeup for no reason, and I felt like the pacing was bad, too.

Apparently a lot of that was due to a really really really bad editing job.

This short RLM clip (about the DVD release) pretty well conveys my feelings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXZVgzLP68

Why did the old man keep his presence on the ship secret? He owned the ship and financed the trip, if he wanted to go along he could, there's no reason why he had to stay secret even after they'd left, what his employees are going to do... what, exactly, once they know he's there? Why did the aliens want to kill us? If it's because we weren't supposed to try to live forever, then why did the aliens preserve one of their own, to live basically forever? Why did the android put the alien goo into the humans? It can't just be because he's evil, he had to imagine he was conducting some kind of experiment, but surely an android would understand the basics of the scientific method? He had no reason to guess what would happen. Why did the geologist not do any geology? Why did someone invent a super-high-tech medical doctor bed chamber thing and not bother to add the extra 2% of programming so that it could deal with female patients as well? Why did that guy take his helmet off, who could possibly be that stupid? Why would a biologist of all people deliberately expose themselves to biological contamination on an alien planet, especially given what they knew at that point? Why were they all in such a loving hurry once they got there, was there some kind of appointment they needed to get to in three days? How did the alien fetus gain so much mass in so little time with nothing to eat? If the old man can afford a starship, why can't he afford a more competent crew? Why did the charlise theron agreeing to gently caress that guy scene happen at all, what did that add to the movie or the story or the characterization or anything? Why why why why, every goddamn scene I was going "why is that? who... why? What are they doing?"

gently caress it I mean, I'm sure there's answers for some of this stuff in the extended director's cut deleted scenes box, but at some point I just got exhausted with trying to move past each jarring problem and enjoy the movie and by the time I was leaving the theater I just didn't care any more. I thought the lady from the girl with the dragon tatoo films did a great acting job and I thought the special effects were neat, but neither was enough to overcome my overall disappointment.

So: Promethus was a lot like Age of Sigmar, in that it started with a basically OK premise, like how AoS was supposed to have free rules and be a reboot of a franchise and simplify the game, but a litany of inexplicably baffling decisions layered on top of a plethora of other movies/games being available of so much better quality, just makes it a giant embarassing waste of money and potential, from creators who had every resource one could want and all the talent necessary to do so very much better.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

OK, actually I think you've convinced me. Yeah. Rey needed to be less competent from the outset, and she needed to overcome a personal failing or two in a way that represented growth as a character. I think she did at some point overcome her reluctance to move forward, but that wasn't enough. I still like her as a character but maybe that's just because of the good acting. Also, you presented a well-reasoned argument and you managed to do it without being a tremendous rear end in a top hat, so thank you for that.

Rey gets a couple moments that I really love - running at Finn with her teeth bared before Finn even knows why, acting like a geeklord complete with Ye Olde Rebel Pilot Helmet at her AT-AT apartment, obviously trying to impress Han Solo with her technical know-how of his own ship - and Daisy Ridley makes Rey into a likeable, if not exactly compelling, character. I actually like Rey; I think it's too early to dismiss her as a "bad" character, given this was always intended to be a trilogy, and I think that even in TFA Rey is still plenty cool. The problem is that Han Solo is Han Solo and Finn has a real and satisfying character arc ("He said it was your idea"), and Rey is not Han Solo and doesn't have a real character arc, so she feels like the least compelling of the leads despite being the main protagonist.

When I say that Rey was oversold to us, I don't mean that I hate Rey, that I hate women protagonists, or that Rey is an unsalvageable mess who ruins TFA. I don't, I don't, she isn't, and she doesn't. I'm just really hoping Episode VIII gives us some kind of narrative tension regarding her hero's journey, and I especially want to see the writing be unafraid to have Rey rely directly on other characters for survival. If the major theme of Rey's character is abandonment and isolation, it's a curious (and to me, bad) choice to have her constantly overcome all of her problems on her own at every turn. Finn should have been granted the "success" of freeing her from the interrogation room or been the one closing the blast doors on the rathtars that, in this example, grabbed Rey instead. Having Rey trust in others besides herself, and come to depend on and be depended upon by her comrades, would have been an excellent denouement for her character arc. Instead, she (or the author) solves all of her problems very quickly and under her own power.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The shittiest thing about Prometheus is that it convinced Guillermo del Toro not to make At the Mountains of Madness.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

moths posted:

The shittiest thing about Prometheus is that it convinced Guillermo del Toro not to make At the Mountains of Madness.

Haha, yeah. Because if Guillermo Del Toro says he wants to do something, he definitely does. That's the only case of him announcing something that would be amazing and then not doing it.

Now let's all watch his live-action adaptation of Monster on HBO.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I know how he's terrible at that, but with James Cameron attached it actually had a chance.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Haha, yeah. Because if Guillermo Del Toro says he wants to do something, he definitely does. That's the only case of him announcing something that would be amazing and then not doing it.
The Hobbit?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The Mobile Suit Gundam: The Force Awakens discussion is interesting but it's probably edging into Cinema Discusso territory :shobon:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sweet, thanks.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ettin posted:

The Mobile Suit Gundam: The Force Awakens discussion is interesting but it's probably edging into Cinema Discusso territory :shobon:

Amuro Rey, Han-an Karn, Finn funnels, okay I'm done I can't think of anything else

On topic, I have had more than one person in the local shop offer to trade me a lot of Warhammer miniatures for a lot of my X-Wing miniatures, and I've always declined, but the more I think about it the more I think it could be worth it? Like can't you sell one of those pewter armies for a decent amount of cash somewhere online and then just buy up X-Wing stuff with the yield? Like maybe I can come out ahead in this somehow

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You could always use it as the basis of a Kings of War army, assuming it's fantasy and not space marines.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQSp2Cn7uA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxej7m8x2JM

Award winning Steamhead Duardin, award winning video direction and cinematography, and they're advertising the hell out of the video by setting it public and publishing it everywhere possible

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Death thread is basically TG hang out thread tbh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Award winning Steamhead Duardin, award winning video direction and cinematography, and they're advertising the hell out of the video by setting it public and publishing it everywhere possible

"Comments are disabled for this video."

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

BULBASAUR posted:

Death thread is basically TG hang out thread tbh

tbh that is the best use of this thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I asked my sister, who is a real big fan of TFA and has seen it twice, what the relationship between the Resistance, Republic, and First Order was. She was quiet for a few seconds before chuckling and admitting that she doesn't really know.

Welp that's my Gundam story hows about those Christmas numbers

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I asked my sister, who is a real big fan of TFA and has seen it twice, what the relationship between the Resistance, Republic, and First Order was. She was quiet for a few seconds before chuckling and admitting that she doesn't really know.

Welp that's my Gundam story hows about those Christmas numbers

It's almost as if so long as you know these guys are good guys and those guys are bad guys, the details of galactic politics are irrelevant to enjoying the movie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Great, now you've got me thinking about Hux going to Kylo, "Are we the baddies?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

guts and bolts posted:

Amuro Rey, Han-an Karn, Finn funnels, okay I'm done I can't think of anything else

On topic, I have had more than one person in the local shop offer to trade me a lot of Warhammer miniatures for a lot of my X-Wing miniatures, and I've always declined, but the more I think about it the more I think it could be worth it? Like can't you sell one of those pewter armies for a decent amount of cash somewhere online and then just buy up X-Wing stuff with the yield? Like maybe I can come out ahead in this somehow

No. You're better off trading for magic cards and trading that into X wangs. I know of enough LGSs that only allow you to spend store credit magic winnings on merchandise and not further tournament entries. You could leverage having wanted cards for more X wangs if you really wanted to do arbitrage. This is the death thread for crying out loud wtf dude.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

I'm the lovely Quintesson on the end of the stick.

Or maybe the grossly over sized, heavy and impractical helmet on his head.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My wife never saw the other Star Wars movies. She enjoyed TFA, and recapped the plot as "Republicans are the cool looking guys in red flight suits". She was also stumped that Yoda wasn't in the movie, since he's one of the few characters she knew about, and thought that the thing stuffed into BB-8 somehow was the Force. It's not the deepest or most complicated movie, but it had plenty of fun action. Sometimes likeable characters and good action translates into a fun movie, despite plotholes and misses in character development. Not having a good character arch for one out of several of the main characters is a huge step up from what we've gotten used to with Star Wars, and honestly most movies in the genre.

Aaaanyway, the new Horus Heresy starter boxes are piled on a big 20% discount table in the middle of my LFGS, together with random board games that I've never heard. GW stocks can obviously only go up, uP, UP!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got a little extra cash left over from Christmas. Trying to decide between X-Wangs starter set or Star Realms expansions...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star realms is a bad dominion clone. You already lost out by buying the base set. Now dominion vs X wing, that's a tough choice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

YF19pilot posted:

Got a little extra cash left over from Christmas. Trying to decide between X-Wangs starter set or Star Realms expansions...

If you only have a little cash, X wing is a bad idea, it will eat all your money.

You will enjoy it though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Chill la Chill posted:

Star realms is a bad dominion clone. You already lost out by buying the base set. Now dominion vs X wing, that's a tough choice.

I didn't pay for it. :smug:

Actually, I like Star Realms, it's different enough from Dominion. Though I like Dominion and I've heard Trains is suppose to be a good Dominion clone. Though one of my friends doesn't like Dominion, because he feels there isn't enough player interaction.

thespaceinvader posted:

If you only have a little cash, X wing is a bad idea, it will eat all your money.

You will enjoy it though.

Cost of shipping and how long poo poo takes to get here will temper my spending. Especially if I place an order with the local game shop now, I'll probably get the starter set in time for Summer. Seriously, I ordered the starter set to Netrunner back in October and it still hasn't arrived. Sure, cheaper than Amazon, but by the time it gets here, everyone's excitement for it is already chilled.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Actually, I like Star Realms, it's different enough from Dominion. Though I like Dominion and I've heard Trains is suppose to be a good Dominion clone. Though one of my friends doesn't like Dominion, because he feels there isn't enough player interaction.

Play with witch and see how he feels about player interaction. :colbert:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SynthOrange posted:

Play with witch and see how he feels about player interaction. :colbert:

We did, and barely anyone bought it that game :v: We also had thief, spy, and a few others. Apparently I'm the only one who has figured out the Spy+Thief combo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

YF19pilot posted:

Cost of shipping and how long poo poo takes to get here will temper my spending. Especially if I place an order with the local game shop now, I'll probably get the starter set in time for Summer. Seriously, I ordered the starter set to Netrunner back in October and it still hasn't arrived. Sure, cheaper than Amazon, but by the time it gets here, everyone's excitement for it is already chilled.

Trains is not as good a game as dominion, but has a little more theme and a map so some people like it I guess.

The base set for Dominion IS a little low on player interaction, to be fair. But if you played with Witch and no-one bought it, it's not surprising if it feels low on interaction.

Where do you live, the moon? I'd be shocked if your FLGS didn't have X-Wing core sets in stock.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

No. You're better off trading for magic cards and trading that into X wangs. I know of enough LGSs that only allow you to spend store credit magic winnings on merchandise and not further tournament entries. You could leverage having wanted cards for more X wangs if you really wanted to do arbitrage. This is the death thread for crying out loud wtf dude.

My X-Wing collection is a couple Core sets, a few single-fighter expansions, a Falcon, and a K-Wing. I bought some of it in the shop and some of it online. I don't think I've crossed the $200 mark yet, which I'm pretty sure is the cost of a Warhammer entry box. This is the death thread, where I am entertaining the idea of trading my "cheap plastic" minis for a hand-painted? army of dudes that GW produced and made rules for, only to trade that away again for more cheap plastic. No matter what deal goes down here, most of the interested trading parties will put either little or no value on the GW product actually being traded.

Games Workshop is the "developing third-world economy" of this deal - none of the players actually care about it at all, except to potentially turn it into more money or a different thing that they might actually want.

Atlas Hugged posted:

You could always use it as the basis of a Kings of War army, assuming it's fantasy and not space marines.

It is Fantasy, which I had guessed by the lack of chainsaw swords and abundance of instead just regular swords but I asked for confirmation anyway. There is a printed list of what is in his Plano case that I could probably post in a different trading thread to discern its actual value.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

She was quiet for a few seconds before chuckling and admitting that she doesn't really know.

Here's the secret: nobody knows

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

thespaceinvader posted:

Trains is not as good a game as dominion, but has a little more theme and a map so some people like it I guess.

The base set for Dominion IS a little low on player interaction, to be fair. But if you played with Witch and no-one bought it, it's not surprising if it feels low on interaction.

Where do you live, the moon? I'd be shocked if your FLGS didn't have X-Wing core sets in stock.

Close enough, I live in a small city in Taiwan. Stuff would probably be easier to come by in Taipei, but that's like a two hour trip by HSR.

e: Regarding my friend, I think it's that he prefers either cooperative games, or games where player interaction is more direct if they are playing against each other. He likes games with heady strategy, but also worker placement games and themed games. Like, for example, on NYE we had a full table playing Tokaido. We all had fun, but he felt the strategy was maybe too shallow to play it regularly. (I agree it's an easy going game, but I like the artwork and enjoy it myself.)

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2016

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Star Realms is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

X-Wing is good, Star Realms is good, giving money to GW is :siren: always bad :siren:

• Locked thread