Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate the movie's depiction of orcs as nasty victims of radiation poisoning. Way less subtle than the book. Same for the way they show the evil men and the ring wraiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I hate the movie's depiction of orcs as nasty victims of radiation poisoning. Way less subtle than the book. Same for the way they show the evil men and the ring wraiths.

It was that or degraded and repulsive versions of the (too Europeans) least lovely Mongol types.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
A line from the Fellowship that has bugged the hell out of me, when Frodo is just setting off from the Shire:

"Walking for pleasure, why didn't I drive?"

Wat?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thunder Moose posted:

A line from the Fellowship that has bugged the hell out of me, when Frodo is just setting off from the Shire:

"Walking for pleasure, why didn't I drive?"

Wat?

Driving is a thing you can do with carts! Sam drove the cart with all the furniture, for example.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VanSandman posted:

Driving is a thing you can do with carts! Sam drove the cart with all the furniture, for example.

Thought that was Merry?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah the words "drive" and "car" were in use well before their modern definitions, and meant the same thing, just applied to animal-powered vehicles.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Think "cattle drive," but in a not-The Far Side way.
From the Old English "drifan" - originally, "to push from behind."

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 9, 2016

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thought that was Merry?

Could be! I don't remember perfectly.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah the words "drive" and "car" were in use well before their modern definitions, and meant the same thing, just applied to animal-powered vehicles.
The line, "Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van" confused the hell out of me as a kid. Why hadn't the van been mentioned before? Wasn't it really bumpy driving over the plain? Where were they getting the petrol?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

The line, "Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van" confused the hell out of me as a kid. Why hadn't the van been mentioned before? Wasn't it really bumpy driving over the plain? Where were they getting the petrol?

Travelling in a fried-out Kombi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

If I were only a little more bored I'd work out some alternate lyrics.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I met a strange lady,
She made me nervous.
She took me in, and told me "In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!”

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Celeborn as the guy stood behind her dishing out Vegemite sandwiches is far too good a mental images not to share.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Runcible Cat posted:

This is amazing.

I think the only genuine anachronism that slipped through in LOTR is where Gandalf's dragon firework "passed over Bywater like an express train", which always stuck out to me like a sore thumb. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

webmeister posted:

This is amazing.

I think the only genuine anachronism that slipped through in LOTR is where Gandalf's dragon firework "passed over Bywater like an express train", which always stuck out to me like a sore thumb. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it.

That and Lobelia's umbrella. You don't notice either because the hobbits otherwise feel so Edwardian.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That and Lobelia's umbrella. You don't notice either because the hobbits otherwise feel so Edwardian.

What's wrong with umbrellas? If the Chinese could make them in 600 BC Hobbits surely could make one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah the umbrella never seemed weird to me. The express train reference does but an umbrella is the sort of thing you can just come up with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

webmeister posted:

This is amazing.

I think that's sort of like how later on someone is described as Mongoloid(?) in appearance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i81icu812 posted:

What's wrong with umbrellas? If the Chinese could make them in 600 BC Hobbits surely could make one.

Tolkien specifically mentions the umbrella as an anachronism in the Letters.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Umbrellas didn't exist in Britain until I don't know when, and lotr is a mythology of Britain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
potatoes

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The elves brought them back from Valinor, obviously.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Potatoes are implied in The Children of Húrin as well, though never named.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Potatoes, like pipe-weed, are *clearly* Tolkien's translations for then-extant middle earth plants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Potatoes, like pipe-weed, are *clearly* Tolkien's translations for then-extant middle earth plants.

Agreed.

Also Children of Hurin is insanely good.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Granted. How about express trains?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

Granted. How about express trains?
Obviously a quickly-made trailing bit of dress, decorated quite 'loudly.' (Where's my no-prize?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Native Americans had no horses or ate them all into extinction until the Spanish started losing track of theirs. Nonetheless they had robust mythical integration of the horse into their cultures by the time we got into the plains states. If they can do it, so can old man Tolkien.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This actually reminds me of this post in the Star Trek thread:

Duckbag posted:

90% of the internet doesn't know the origins of the term Mary Sue and are just using it as a dead metaphor. Dead metaphors are phrases like "by and large" that used to suggest a specific image but don't anymore ("by" and "large" describe angles at which the wind hits the sails of a ship. A ship that sails well by and large can sail in most any wind. We still use the phrase all the time, but most people don't know it's a metaphor.) Another example is the phrase "fish out of water." As George Orwell pointed out, the first time you hear the phrase, you'll probably picture that poor fish, but once it's become a cliche to you, you stop picturing the fish and the metaphor starts to die.

It made me think of how "express train" was a visual cue that has ceased to mean much for us in the modern world, particularly people who don't spend a lot of time in city transit. We think "express train" means "particularly fast train". But what Tolkien was probably going for (whether intentionally or because he fell prey to a cliché) was the much more physically specific idea of "a train that's not stopping at this station", i.e. one that's rushing past you on the platform at full speed without giving a gently caress if you're inches away from it, displacing wind with such force as to knock you over. If a suburbanite were to use a train as a metaphor the "express" aspect of it probably wouldn't enter into the picture; he'd just say "steam locomotive" or something. But "express train" has special meaning that will only really resonate with someone who's stood on a subway platform waiting for a local.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 12, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Potatoes and pipe-weed are fairly easy to reconcile diegetically if we drop the idea that Middle-Earth is imminently prehistorical or prehistorical at all. Like athelas, they're a relic of Numenorean civilization.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

It made me think of how "express train" was a visual cue that has ceased to mean much for us in the modern world, particularly people who don't spend a lot of time in city transit. We think "express train" means "particularly fast train". But what Tolkien was probably going for (whether intentionally or because he fell prey to a cliché) was the much more physically specific idea of "a train that's not stopping at this station", i.e. one that's rushing past you on the platform at full speed without giving a gently caress if you're inches away from it, displacing wind with such force as to knock you over. If a suburbanite were to use a train as a metaphor the "express" aspect of it probably wouldn't enter into the picture; he'd just say "steam locomotive" or something. But "express train" has special meaning that will only really resonate with someone who's stood on a subway platform waiting for a local.

Well, "train" has been around a lot longer than the locomotive. Maybe he mean a long train of wagons pulled by oxen at 2 or 3 mph? One that's not stopping at this station just, you know, more slowly?

Or possibly express as in being pulled by fast horses rather than plodding oxen? Dozens of fast horses pulling metal wheeled wagons at 10-12 mph would be a hell of a racket and quite scary to rural shire folk.

e: VVVV Hush.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 12, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Murgos posted:

Well, "train" has been around a lot longer than the locomotive. Maybe he mean a long train of wagons pulled by oxen at 2 or 3 mph? One that's not stopping at this station just, you know, more slowly?

Or possibly express as in being pulled by fast horses rather than plodding oxen? Dozens of fast horses pulling metal wheeled wagons at 10-12 mph would be a hell of a racket and quite scary to rural shire folk.

It's not a particularly apt metaphor for magical firework rockets whizzing past your head though

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe Gandalf's fireworks actually move at 2-3mph and that is one of the reasons they are considered amazing and remarkable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

we could also probably enjoy some dope rear end books and not jerk off about the few anachronisms the author left in them (though I'm sure this thread is down with that)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

we could also probably enjoy some dope rear end books and not jerk off about the few anachronisms the author left in them (though I'm sure this thread is down with that)

What is with this attitude?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Levitate posted:

We can do both, OP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The translator of TLOTR used "express train" in the place of an even more anachronistic and confusing metaphor.

There I solved the issue.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

SHISHKABOB posted:

What is with this attitude?

it's cool I'm just making fun of the people who legit get upset at Tolkien for those lines

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

The translator of TLOTR used "express train" in the place of an even more anachronistic and confusing metaphor.

There I solved the issue.

I had been thinking along the same lines as data graham, and the only pre industrial equivalent that came to mind was juggernaut, which would have been problematic for a few reasons. There really isn't a word for, " parallel but really, really close to a cavalry charge."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"A huge gust of wind," there you go, I'm the new Tolkien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

"A huge gust of wind," there you go, I'm the new Tolkien

Lightning bolt? Avalanche? The sound Fatty Bolger makes when cannonballing into the Brandywine?