Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How the hell are people fitting 3 AC5s on a MAD-3R? Just not bothering with taking any lasers? Best I can manage is this, but you have no ammo or heatsinks to speak of: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=345&l=1123f41cc6065b6ce0cfd03d6845c55f8d843439

You can drop two of the lasers.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=345&l=28010bdb2f0e65ceb891d46faf86bed973abdda5

RescueFreak fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How the hell are people fitting 3 AC5s on a MAD-3R? Just not bothering with taking any lasers? Best I can manage is this, but you have no ammo or heatsinks to speak of: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=345&l=1123f41cc6065b6ce0cfd03d6845c55f8d843439

Seems about right. If this is the MAD I'm thinking about, I run it with 4 LPL and 3 Machine guns... Because, I can juggle heat like a champ and those pulses make people think twice before charging.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stringbean posted:

Seems about right. If this is the MAD I'm thinking about, I run it with 4 LPL and 3 Machine guns... Because, I can juggle heat like a champ and those pulses make people think twice before charging.

:cripes:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Stringbean posted:

It's like Kitchen Nightmares but with Mechs.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Don't weep for me, I'm lost (upon seeing the ac/5 build I switched already, because God do I love me some ACs)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got some questions - I'm currently sitting on 20,000 MC, a couple million C-Bills, and well over 6 months of Premium banked. I need some advice on how to spend the MC, whether it's to buy some of the Mastery packs that PGI is selling, hold on to them, or eventually go out and buy the various DLC in the Steam store and have even more MC, more C-Bills, and more Premium time banked (this would be last resort, and something that would take a couple months to do since I'm not currently sitting on a lot of cash). I only restarted playing again last night, and frankly I suck at mixing it up - I either get gang-raped or I never get close to the action before it's all over. Need some suggestions on where to go from here.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Got some questions - I'm currently sitting on 20,000 MC, a couple million C-Bills, and well over 6 months of Premium banked. I need some advice on how to spend the MC, whether it's to buy some of the Mastery packs that PGI is selling, hold on to them, or eventually go out and buy the various DLC in the Steam store and have even more MC, more C-Bills, and more Premium time banked (this would be last resort, and something that would take a couple months to do since I'm not currently sitting on a lot of cash). I only restarted playing again last night, and frankly I suck at mixing it up - I either get gang-raped or I never get close to the action before it's all over. Need some suggestions on where to go from here.
I was in the exact same situation a couple of nights ago, so I asked goons this same question.

They advised me to buy the hot pink camo color.

They were absolutely correct.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thronde posted:

Stock 270, 5x ac5,2x medium lasers (that I might remove) does 46 or some slow poo poo. It's not fast.

Ah, 5 ACs, that makes sense. Still tempted to try this though

So, this is probablly a Bad Idea but I was thinking that maybe an XL would not be so bad in certain Maulers. The MX90 is still strictly superior but follow me here; Loosing a mauler side is literally half the payload, so even with a STD you're still half the man you used to be. The Maulers thing seems to be high DPS, and it stands to reason that getting more tonnage on the payload would improve the efficiency of it's Mauling capabilities. The MX90 has an alpha between 20 and 25, not counting any lasers and a DPS of 8.55. This MAL-1P with a XL325 has 7.63 DPS with an Alpha of 52, most of which cycles pretty quickly.

I dunno, I prolly won't like it, regardless of whether its good or bad. AC5s are just so crunchy and flexible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The problem with the XL is that it takes up LT/RT slots, which means you can't boat three AC5s in each torso, you have to cut it down to two.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Mastery packs are a good value, but the premium is immediately activated.
If you do the math on all the individual offerings of a Mastery pack, the bundle price is roughly half off all the items.

Tier 1 Mastery packs: Thunderbolt, Griffin
Raven, Firestarter, Stalker are also very good value.
Cataphract, Catapults aren't bad if you just like the chassis, but there's other things that do those roles better.

DiHK posted:

So, this is probablly a Bad Idea but I was thinking that maybe an XL would not be so bad in certain Maulers. The MX90 is still strictly superior but follow me here; Loosing a mauler side is literally half the payload, so even with a STD you're still half the man you used to be. The Maulers thing seems to be high DPS, and it stands to reason that getting more tonnage on the payload would improve the efficiency of it's Mauling capabilities. The MX90 has an alpha between 20 and 25, not counting any lasers and a DPS of 8.55. This MAL-1P with a XL325 has 7.63 DPS with an Alpha of 52, most of which cycles pretty quickly.

I dunno, I prolly won't like it, regardless of whether its good or bad. AC5s are just so crunchy and flexible.

You can't drop with less than 10 HS. You also don't have enough ammo for 6.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Machine guns are so fun

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

TVDinna posted:

Mastery packs are a good value, but the premium is immediately activated.
If you do the math on all the individual offerings of a Mastery pack, the bundle price is roughly half off all the items.

Tier 1 Mastery packs: Thunderbolt, Griffin
Raven, Firestarter, Stalker are also very good value.
Cataphract, Catapults aren't bad if you just like the chassis, but there's other things that do those roles better.
Additionally, I don't know if mastery packs ever go on sale, but don't buy anything else with MC that isn't. Mechbays go on sale all the time, and they just ended a hero mech sale.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

ImpactVector posted:

Additionally, I don't know if mastery packs ever go on sale, but don't buy anything else with MC that isn't. Mechbays go on sale all the time, and they just ended a hero mech sale.

Nope, never seen them go on sale, but given the huge discount of the bundle, I don't imagine them going on sale.
Even when they have 50% off hero sales, this still is arguably a better deal since you get the 2 chassis variants you need to master the mech.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
When will the black knight be available for cbills? It is a cool looking robot and I want to use it for lazor disco.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DiHK posted:

Even ignoring the problems with room brought up by others, I have a non-goon buddy who plays this a bunch. I was online one night while he was testing out an XL mauler build and it was a hot mess. That thing is a walking torso and if you draw any fire at all you will loose it.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

When will the black knight be available for cbills? It is a cool looking robot and I want to use it for lazor disco.

It's posted up on the Resistance 2 FAQ, all mech information is always released in the FAQ.

Q: When will these 'Mechs be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?
Wolfhound: November 17th for MC and December 15th for C-Bills
Crab: December 1st for MC and January 5th for C-Bills
Black Knight: December 15th for MC and January 19th for C-Bills
Mauler: January 5th for MC and February 2nd for C-Bills

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How worthwhile is it to get 3 mech variants for the elite skills? The Stormcrow and Timberwolves are on sale right now so I thinking of grabbing another one so I can work on getting the next skill set.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If I post a bad build here will you guys make fun of me because I am in a fragile emotional state right now

Ok you know what I am going to claim my space and stand up to your negativity ok I'm not afraid of you buttholes

If you offer criticism that isn't constructive I will troll you guys like I trolled my grandmother (rip meemaw) ok I just remember having fun with my shadow hawk

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=111&l=489308a1defda16ef2004839ce3b2be0e16be52f

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Axetrain posted:

How worthwhile is it to get 3 mech variants for the elite skills? The Stormcrow and Timberwolves are on sale right now so I thinking of grabbing another one so I can work on getting the next skill set.

Very worthwhile. Once you get all the elite skills you double the basics, which means that tye 7.5% faster cooling and 10% increased heat cap goes up to 15 and 20. That's big for any mech, but clans run pretty hot so heat is always going to be an issue with them. Also, once you get into modules having that second module slot can be really nice as well.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Tujague posted:

If I post a bad build here will you guys make fun of me because I am in a fragile emotional state right now

Ok you know what I am going to claim my space and stand up to your negativity ok I'm not afraid of you buttholes

If you offer criticism that isn't constructive I will troll you guys like I trolled my grandmother (rip meemaw) ok I just remember having fun with my shadow hawk

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=111&l=489308a1defda16ef2004839ce3b2be0e16be52f

why do people continue to make garbage bracket builds

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ok that is just mean the lasers and missiles all hit at the same range, I just wanted something to shoot far away with ok

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

TVDinna posted:

Nope, never seen them go on sale, but given the huge discount of the bundle, I don't imagine them going on sale.
Even when they have 50% off hero sales, this still is arguably a better deal since you get the 2 chassis variants you need to master the mech.
Agreed. I'd only recommend buying the heroes alone (on sale) when you already have a couple of the mechs for the chassis.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
The CTF3D is a bad robot but my god is it fun gun

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tujague posted:

Well, twojack, I think you could have a much better mech if you focused the build to do one thing. That AC/5 isn't doing anything to help the srm4s and medium lasers.

not only that, but if you're going to pack on an XL engine on a medium mech, you really should be going much faster. Do you want to brawl or do you want to snipe? Pick one, and stick with it.

Personally, if I absolutely HAD to run around in a shadowhawk, I'd probably do this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#modified

But then, I'm cuckoo for srmpuffs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Banano posted:

Remember when it was the best mech in the game?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ok I reinstalled this and in as risinginferno, where do I get an invite to a most honorable goon group?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Banano posted:

Speaking of the Cataphract, I ended up buying the CTF-4X (the one with four ballistic mounts) because I like dakka and have no impulse control. Any decent builds around for that? My first instinct was stuffing four AC/2s in there which, while potentially hilarious, doesn't seem to be particularly effective.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Tujague posted:

SHD-2D2 "NEAR"

SHD-2H "FAR"

(neither of those may be fast enough for some tastes but I've had good success with "FAR")

TVDinna posted:

You can't drop with less than 10 HS. You also don't have enough ammo for 6.

gently caress you, I'll do what I want.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even ignoring the problems with room brought up by others, I have a non-goon buddy who plays this a bunch. I was online one night while he was testing out an XL mauler build and it was a hot mess. That thing is a walking torso and if you draw any fire at all you will loose it.

Yeah, playing around more in smurfy reveals that the 3 slot loss in each torso limits the payload more than the extra weight benefits.

This one feels pretty good though, if a little hot.
MAL-2P

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

abuse culture. posted:

why do people continue to make garbage bracket builds

How is it a bracket build when all it has are brawling weapons?

I mean, it's a bad build as pointed out by others already, but it's not a bracket build at all.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

TVDinna posted:

It's posted up on the Resistance 2 FAQ, all mech information is always released in the FAQ.

Q: When will these 'Mechs be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?
Wolfhound: November 17th for MC and December 15th for C-Bills
Crab: December 1st for MC and January 5th for C-Bills
Black Knight: December 15th for MC and January 19th for C-Bills
Mauler: January 5th for MC and February 2nd for C-Bills

Good to know, thanks.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How is it a bracket build when all it has are brawling weapons?

I mean, it's a bad build as pointed out by others already, but it's not a bracket build at all.

a whole bunch of tons and slots are wasted on a long range poking weapon for use at ranges outside where it should be fighting sounds like a bracket build to me. if you're gonna do brawling or midrange or sniping you should be packing only those weapons + medium lasers to fill the rest of your space

e: just realized he cut armor from his ct lol

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 9, 2016

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
by the way, the battlemaster 1s with 4LPL and a huge XL engine is still secretly the best IS mech in the entire game and nobody realizes it

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

Not enough of us on to do CW anyway so no biggie.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

abuse culture. posted:

a whole bunch of tons and slots are wasted on a long range poking weapon for use at ranges outside where it should be fighting sounds like a bracket build to me.

Medium lasers are not long range. :wtc:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He's talking about the lone ac/5, which is a longish ranged gun and not a brawl weapon.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

I'm fine with it. I'm a GIRL for the cool tag and the Girl Power.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

yeah im definitely talking about the thing that takes 2 tons and 2 slots versus the thing with a longer range that weighs a shitload, takes up 69 slots and has to load ammo as well

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Basically if you're going to invest that much tonnage in an autocannon, you're better off going all the way and boating multiples. Right now you're devoting like 20% of your mech's total weight toward a weapon that does five damage. You're better off upgrading the SRMs, adding heat sinks, or maxing out the engine.

It's the same as when people add a single LRM10 to their assault 'mechs in an attempt to give them some long range ability. The tonnage sacrificed will always hurt you elsewhere

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

Remember when it was the best mech in the game?

Thanks, I thought I'd forgotten.

I haven't mounted a single ppc since the dark times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

It's gonna cost 50.6 million cbills to break our contract right now. I think we should. A weekly tour of the clans for GIRL and the same for IS houses in WoL would make sure any goon can CW on whichever side they want, while minimizing associated costs and getting their free stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in the first 5 million.

Only 45.45 million to go.

• Locked thread