Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Do people really put TV on just to have it on in the background? What's the point of having it on if you aren't going to pay attention? And if you're watching something not worth giving your full attention to, why not switch to something that is worth it?

I don't understand people sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Doc Block posted:

Do people really put TV on just to have it on in the background? What's the point of having it on if you aren't going to pay attention? And if you're watching something not worth giving your full attention to, why not switch to something that is worth it?

its like talk radio or jazz, just some background noise

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vastarien posted:

No but seriously American Horror Story: Coven is pretty loving awful. Like, atrocious.

What other wrong and bad opinions would you like to share with the class?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

On another note, I have never watched an episode of Mike and Molly so maybe it's really deep and heart-felt, but it looks like every joke is "they're fat lol." Most network tv commercials run together, but this one sticks out as a show to never watch under any cirumstances.
Mike and Molly makes me sad, because melissa mccarthy is funny and charming when she's not on that terrible CBS sitcom

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

When I do watch AHS I always think "this is exactly what a modern horror should look and feel like", for example many scenes in Asylum are gut-wrenching in a good way. It's just, yeah, the writing is garbage. It feels like every episode is written without any regard to the previous or next and poo poo just goes completely out of control.

I agree, theres tons of bad writing and Asylum was everywhere, but I've always kind of assumed that each season is just taking all the tropes that exist in whatever genre of horror they're doing that season and just throwing it all together.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Mike and Molly makes me sad, because melissa mccarthy is funny and charming when she's not on that terrible CBS sitcom

Name one thing that Melissa McCarthy was ever funny in.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Doc Block posted:

Name one thing that Melissa McCarthy was ever funny in.

I liked her in Gilmore Girls. Another terrible show that I like. I mean, she was kind of annoying, but that was the character and I thought it was funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OctoberBlues posted:

I liked her in Gilmore Girls. Another terrible show that I like. I mean, she was kind of annoying, but that was the character and I thought it was funny.

This, plus both Spy and The Heat were solid roles for her. And she always puts a ton of effort in whenever she hosts SNL. She's just one of those people who attract lovely writing, and it pays the bills.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The Heat and Spy were actually good despite expectations

e: I see...

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

full blouse

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

If you're doing something else and not actually looking at the TV then how do you, um, appreciate Kat Dennings, then?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How is two broke girls still on while Happy Endings got cancelled after 2.5 seasons? That is bullshit. Probably the best ensemble cast since MASH.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I always thought the second season of AHS would probably be the best if they just got rid of that drat aliens sub-plot cause that poo poo was just stupid in the midst of everything else going on.

Yeah. I still feel that given so many other themes of the season, the aliens was one step too far and just simply making them some sort of supernatural divine beings akin to angels or something could have done the same thing. Of course, that is because part of me is still thinking alien abduction as an AHS season set in the 70s/80s could work pretty well in a time when ET, Star Wars and Close Encounters were big.

Bro Dad posted:

The Awesomes is the worst show ever made and I can prove it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY49pZijwiI

I don't know how to say this, because it blew my mind, too: It got... better?

Season 1 was mostly horrible but towards the end it had a slight uptick. Seasons 2 and 3 aren't great, but I think they've managed to watchable. They don't get crazy good or anything, but they have their moments. I sort of almost can't help but think Maya Rudolph is adlibbing or writing her own dialog, though. She and Impressario are about the only two characters with dialogue that get grins or laughs out of me on occasion. Post-Season 1 Dr. Malocchio and Mr. Awesome are a lot better, too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How much of two broke girls jokes has to do with Kat dennings big boobies?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

How much of two broke girls jokes has to do with Kat dennings big boobies?

The show 100% revolves around them. Just like everything else in their wake.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

The show 100% revolves around them. Just like everything else in their wake.

Well, they are large enough...gravity field...fun joke etc.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
See: Where Are My Pants?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

How is two broke girls still on while Happy Endings got cancelled after 2.5 seasons? That is bullshit. Probably the best ensemble cast since MASH.

Happy Endings had 3 seasons. It loving owned though and it sucked to see it go but ABC did give it a lot of chances with even prime spot right after Modern Family before shuffling it a little bit, and it was sort of going a bit downhill by Season 3 so, oh well :(

I mean ABC could have treated it a little better because I think they did some dumb random quarter/mid season breaks and shuffled time slots around a little too much, but considering their past treatment of other shows and it is ABC afterall, they did at least try to keep it around longer than I expected.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 9, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Blind Pineapple posted:

On another note, I have never watched an episode of Mike and Molly so maybe it's really deep and heart-felt, but it looks like every joke is "they're fat lol." Most network tv commercials run together, but this one sticks out as a show to never watch under any cirumstances.

i was surprised by the amount of trans jokes in mike & molly in the few episodes that i saw

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

YeahTubaMike posted:

i was surprised by the amount of trans jokes in mike & molly in the few episodes that i saw

Did it trigger you? Are you triggered?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Mustached5thGrader posted:

does this bug you? i'm not triggering you, i'm not triggering you!

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Doc Block posted:

It's not that difficult to multi-task and pay attention to multiple things at a time. Personally I am not capable of just sitting there and watching TV and doing nothing else. If I'm not playing on my phone or cleaning something or tending to one of my pets while the TV's on, it feels like an incredible waste of time and leaves me bored out of my mind. I don't go see movies at a theater for the same reason.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

republicant posted:

It's not that difficult to multi-task and pay attention to multiple things at a time. Personally I am not capable of just sitting there and watching TV and doing nothing else. If I'm not playing on my phone or cleaning something or tending to one of my pets while the TV's on, it feels like an incredible waste of time and leaves me bored out of my mind. I don't go see movies at a theater for the same reason.

You should see a neurologist or psychiatrist - what you describe sounds more like symptoms than a personality quirk.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm posting this while the tv is on. I'm a monster.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Celebrity Eye Candy. It was a VH1 show that was nothing but slideshows of paparazzi photos with an announcer making catty comments and bad celebrity impersonators doing one-liners over them, and it lasted hundreds of episodes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You should see a neurologist or psychiatrist - what you describe sounds more like symptoms than a personality quirk.

You shouldn't give advice on the Internet because you suck at it because this is something most people do Jesus Christ

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Professor Shark posted:

You shouldn't give advice on the Internet because you suck at it because this is something most people do Jesus Christ

Yeah I did that all the time when I had Netflix. It helps if it's something you've seen before and just want to tune in and out without losing pace. I can't do it while reading a book but dicking around on here, sure.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
The Wire is the worst show i have ever seen.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

The Wire is the worst show i have ever seen.

I dare you to tell Jason Whitlock that to his face.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rolo posted:

Yeah I did that all the time when I had Netflix. It helps if it's something you've seen before and just want to tune in and out without losing pace. I can't do it while reading a book but dicking around on here, sure.

My girlfriend and I do it when we're marking, I do it when I'm posting or cleaning, etc

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mustached5thGrader posted:

no, i just thought it was stupid, uncreative, and unfunny. also surprising when the show is about fat people

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I will consider your advice and then promptly discard it, because keeping the television on as background noise is indicative of poor mental hygiene.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Simple_Rules

quote:

The first three episodes of the show's second season had been completed when Ritter reportedly suffered an undiagnosed aortic dissection. After Ritter had experienced discomfort during his rehearsal of the show that afternoon, crew members took him to a nearby hospital, where he suddenly died that night following a misdiagnosis of a heart attack. Following Ritter's death, ABC announced that the show would continue after a hiatus, and would incorporate the death of Ritter's character. The three new episodes that Ritter completed were aired with Sagal introducing them.

The show returned two months after Ritter's death, with a one-hour episode, "Goodbye", which was turned into a tribute to Ritter's character. Subsequent episodes dealt with the family's reaction to his death and them moving on from it.

Before Ritter's death, the show ranked 42nd in the Nielsen ratings. After Ritter's death, it had slipped to 50th, but was renewed for a third season

just, why :psyduck:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Blind Pineapple posted:

The worst show I watched start to finish (which was like 6 or 7 episodes) and I'm impressed/sad that I'm the first to mention after 14 pages was Line of Fire.

It was on ABC I think, because I saw tons of commercials for it during football, and being 12-ish, I thought it looked cool. It was centered around David Paymer as a mob boss. Even at that age, it was quickly apparent that David Paymer was a dweeb and the least intimidating tv mob boss ever. The other characters I remember were a sex-worker in one of Paymer's brothels and a lady cop who had a light bondage sex scene. I guess that's the stuff that burns into your mind at that age. I'm glad it was cancelled because I had no concept of sunk cost fallacy.

hello

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Once Upon a Time is really loving bad.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I Remember an Australian show that was made as an experiment by getting a class of 14 year olds to be a writing team. It was called 'Let the blood run free.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdEorW3EMI&app=desktop

Also Eddie Izzard made a pilot in the UK called 'Cows' after brainstorming it on a chat show. It is always a great riposte against the smug fans of his who like his twee, middle class, motor mouth comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljskhBtsGW4&app=desktop

In terms of fans of shows Joss Whedon has a lot to answer for.
"You haven't watched Buffy or Angel Or Firefly?"
-"No because then I would be like you."
Plots where attractive people have a halloween transformational face mask put on and then wrestling moves, all with dialogue that only aspies can ever think are edgy.

Reality Television of course is of course mainly poo poo except for the odd outliers like Space Cadets.

Oh and of course The Black and White minstrel show is terrible for obvious reasons with lovely variety acts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYOraDt1_k

Minipops because it was made for the children of the producers to be in but turned into a peadophile's wet dream. Try and watch that poo poo. Even as a kid their age I knew it was a crap show to watch, but try to watch it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKcmHwjfCbg

The BBC did a TV Hell night 20 years ago which shows a bunch of disasters from the 90s back in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0tPbLkqb_k&list=PLQIk8RsfwkGHnMtDfsM4JNvrL9qs_ROAa

Edit- yt links added.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 10, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Seinfeld was worst show, close thread

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has a lot of brilliance but all too often it's just the 4-5 of them screeching at each other.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seinfeld was worst show, close thread

You converted to Judaism for the jokes, got called out on it, and are now all sour grapes about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
rules of engagement is really really bad.

Everyone just really hates each other on that show, even (especially) the married couples.

Who enjoys this kind of thing?

• Locked thread