Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

Arrow's is the worst though. I had to SAVE THIS CITY, so I BECAME SOMEONE ELSE. SOME...THING ELSE. But that DIDN'T WORK, so I had to become...ANOTHER SOMETHING ELSE for a few seasons. Then...I tried...SOMETHING ELSE. And then I RETIRED. But then I had to become...SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY

Uh ...Yes, it would be the worst if that thing you made up was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also isn't this thread about Arrow? Theoretically?

Hypothetically.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Aphrodite posted:

Uh ...Yes, it would be the worst if that thing you made up was it.

What are you, like autistic turned up to 11?

I will explain: I used exaggeration* to loosely describe the Arrow intro voice over, to explain why it is so dumb and also I did not have the god drat script in front of me so it is not word for word accurate, but whoever wrote those is like, really attached to this whole "I must become someone else...something else." motif because each season has a different intro but they've all managed to shoehorn that into it.

*Exaggerate: to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate.

edit: and they wouldn't have to spend so much intro time explaining the god drat island if they didn't waste so much time in flashbacks trying to retcon the island into something that's worth giving 2 shits about.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 8, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They update but keep the specific phrases because they're taglines.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arrow's intro is seriously annoying. I think it's just the way Amell voices it. It comes across as incredibly pretentious, whereas The Flash's comes across as genuine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xealot posted:

Black Mirror is amazing.

Black Mirror is terrible. It tries so hard to be serious and meaningful but the premise always has some massive flaw that makes the whole thing fall apart.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiggum posted:

Black Mirror is terrible. It tries so hard to be serious and meaningful but the premise always has some massive flaw that makes the whole thing fall apart.

like how super heroes arent real or magic healing jaccuzzis dont really exist?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

like how super heroes arent real or magic healing jaccuzzis dont really exist?

No. Those things are consistent within the setting and fit the tone of the show. We're not expected to believe that anything that happens in Arrow could actually happen in reality. It's a soap opera in which magic exists, we understand going into it that the things and people in it are unrealistic.

The same applies to things like the humanoid robots or implants that record everything you see and hear in Black Mirror - those are sci-fi elements we're not expected to believe are real things we could have ourselves. What doesn't work in Black Mirror are the things we're expected to believe are possible in real life, that is, things like the people and society. It's supposed to be a realistic portrayal of contemporary people (as Charlie Brooker said about it "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy.") But in that sense, it's not plausible. It takes these terrible, appalling ideas that in reality would be incredibly unpopular and the says "yeah, but what if they weren't unpopular? Wouldn't that make us terrible people?" Yes it would, but you may as well ask "what if we killed one child out of every two for no reason? Wouldn't that make us terrible people?" Yeah. But we don't do that. It's not saying anything about real people, it's criticising this hyperbolic straw man of modern society.

Except for The Entire History of You. I liked that one. Perhaps not coincidentally, the only episode not written by Charlie Brooker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

No. Those things are consistent within the setting and fit the tone of the show. We're not expected to believe that anything that happens in Arrow could actually happen in reality. It's a soap opera in which magic exists, we understand going into it that the things and people in it are unrealistic.

The same applies to things like the humanoid robots or implants that record everything you see and hear in Black Mirror - those are sci-fi elements we're not expected to believe are real things we could have ourselves. What doesn't work in Black Mirror are the things we're expected to believe are possible in real life, that is, things like the people and society. It's supposed to be a realistic portrayal of contemporary people (as Charlie Brooker said about it "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy.") But in that sense, it's not plausible. It takes these terrible, appalling ideas that in reality would be incredibly unpopular and the says "yeah, but what if they weren't unpopular? Wouldn't that make us terrible people?" Yes it would, but you may as well ask "what if we killed one child out of every two for no reason? Wouldn't that make us terrible people?" Yeah. But we don't do that. It's not saying anything about real people, it's criticising this hyperbolic straw man of modern society.

Except for The Entire History of You. I liked that one. Perhaps not coincidentally, the only episode not written by Charlie Brooker.

Whatever, Waldo rules.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

enraged_camel posted:

Arrow's intro is seriously annoying. I think it's just the way Amell voices it. It comes across as incredibly pretentious, whereas The Flash's comes across as genuine.

Yeah, that too. I've done some voice over work, and it starts getting pretty hard to sound convincing after I've had to repeat a thing about a hundred times. I can't even imagine having to do that stupid intro that keeps getting even stupider, 4 seasons later, without losing something.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm so loving happy that lazarus pits are off the table, at least for now.

Always a cheap device since their inception, they are literally a "Break Glass In Case of Writer gently caress-Up" card.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm so loving happy that lazarus pits are off the table, at least for now.

Always a cheap device since their inception, they are literally a "Break Glass In Case of Writer gently caress-Up" card.

Not like the Arrow writers are above pulling even stupider plot devices out of their asses to compensate. Hell, they cured "stabbed through the heart by a heart stabbing expert and then fell off a god drat cliff" with some god drat Chinese herbs and spices.

edit: VVVV fine, stabbed purposefully by a literal killing people by stabbing them expert.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 8, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He wasn't stabbed through the heart, but yes, your point stands.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rhyno posted:

Whatever, Waldo rules.

No, Tiggum is right. Black Mirror woefully misrepresents real human behavior. In no way would the British Prime Minister ever gently caress a pig, for any reason.

Isn't Diggle supposed to be an actual DC comics character now? Or did that fall through? I remember reading some interview where this was claimed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

No, Tiggum is right. Black Mirror woefully misrepresents real human behavior. In no way would the British Prime Minister ever gently caress a pig, for any reason.

Isn't Diggle supposed to be an actual DC comics character now? Or did that fall through? I remember reading some interview where this was claimed.

I c wat u did ther

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Xealot posted:

Game, set, match.

quote:

He needs to become a superhero pronto just to get rid of the dumbass helmet. Nobody in the business of getting shot at should ever restrict their peripheral vision that much. I want the Green Lantern rumors to come to fruition just to see Oliver go, "First magic, now aliens? What the gently caress?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or maybe he shouldn't become a character he has nothing in common with just because of his skin colour.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He needs to become a superhero pronto just to get rid of the dumbass helmet. Nobody in the business of getting shot at should ever restrict their peripheral vision that much. I want the Green Lantern rumors to come to fruition just to see Oliver go, "First magic, now aliens? What the gently caress?"

Flashbacks in Season 6 are to mysterious year 5.5 on the island where he was abducted by the Green Lantern Corps in order to assist in the apprehension of space Barrowman

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

enraged_camel posted:

Honestly it feels like the opposite to me. Amell's is fine but I feel like Gustin is kinda bullshitting. Especially in the season 2 intro.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Or maybe he shouldn't become a character he has nothing in common with just because of his skin colour.

But he shares a first name with a character. Obviously that means they're the same guy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nate Falls posted:

I just watched some Supergirl, and it's really starting to annoy me how formulaic ths intro sequence voiceovers are for this, Arrow, and Supergirl.

"I'm [name], I [origin story or some poo poo], by day I [whatever], but for REALS, I [FIGHT CRIME {with organization}]. I AM...THE [superhero name]!

Arrow's is the worst though. I had to SAVE THIS CITY, so I BECAME SOMEONE ELSE. SOME...THING ELSE. But that DIDN'T WORK, so I had to become...ANOTHER SOMETHING ELSE for a few seasons. Then...I tried...SOMETHING ELSE. And then I RETIRED. But then I had to become...SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY

It's not even just DC shows - Forever did it as well (I miss that show); and iZombie does it. It appears to have become the standard opening for any vaguely hipsterish show. I didn't mind it with Arrow, I even don't mind it if all the arrow spin off shows do it, as a kind of family trait, but when everyone is doing it it becomes kinda cringeworthy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Lord Bude posted:

It's not even just DC shows - Forever did it as well (I miss that show); and iZombie does it. It appears to have become the standard opening for any vaguely hipsterish show. I didn't mind it with Arrow, I even don't mind it if all the arrow spin off shows do it, as a kind of family trait, but when everyone is doing it it becomes kinda cringeworthy.

B5 also changed the narration every seasons. I think its a way of getting across the premise of the show for new viewers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

bobkatt013 posted:

B5 also changed the narration every seasons. I think its a way of getting across the premise of the show for new viewers.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about specifically starting the show with a voice over where the main character goes ' My name is Blah; and I am blah blah blah'.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about specifically starting the show with a voice over where the main character goes ' My name is Blah; and I am blah blah blah'.

Opening narrations are a fine old tradition, and can sometimes pinpoint a show directly to a timeframe. But the style Arrow uses has an old and distinguished pedigree.

quote:

I am Adam, Prince of Eternia, Defender of the secrets of Castle Grayskull. This is Cringer, my fearless friend. Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said "By the power of Grayskull, I have the power!" Cringer became the mighty BattleCat and I became He-man, the most powerful man in the universe!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you think about it, Felicity is a lot like Orko.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Aphrodite posted:

They have pretty similar backgrounds, being ex-military. With a similar personality (compared with JLU).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Digg was Magic TV Ninja Special Ops, and John Stewart was just a marine.

And as we all know, Marines are a different breed (of stupid) than the rest of the military.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Nikita does it too, and that started in 2010 on CW.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Xealot posted:

Jeff Lemire introduced Diggle as a character in his Green Arrow run, which is fantastic and you all should go read. They just released a big volume of it as well.

He's basically the same character, former parter of Oliver's, but they've had major disagreements in method which led to a falling out, only to be brought back together in times of crisis.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

hi liter posted:

Jeff Lemire introduced Diggle as a character in his Green Arrow run, which is fantastic and you all should go read. They just released a big volume of it as well.

He's basically the same character, former parter of Oliver's, but they've had major disagreements in method which led to a falling out, only to be brought back together in times of crisis.

Yeah, I kind of like the idea that he's *not* some surprise other existing DC character. I just wish they'd come up with a more interesting treatment of his "Spartan" persona than what we've seen. He's a guy in fairly regular military gear, with a leather jacket. And the Dredd-esque helmet, I guess...that's something, though it's definitely goofy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nate Falls posted:

Not like the Arrow writers are above pulling even stupider plot devices out of their asses to compensate. Hell, they cured "stabbed through the heart by a heart stabbing expert and then fell off a god drat cliff" with some god drat Chinese herbs and spices.

edit: VVVV fine, stabbed purposefully by a literal killing people by stabbing them expert.

Thanks for reminding me. For me, that is the show's low point. The whole "nah, he was only mostly dead.", "just kidding, we used unexplained herbs", "no one will ever mention this ever agin." schtick was mind boggingly awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whizbang posted:

If you think about it, Felicity is a lot like Orko.

I never wanted to bang Orko on a conference room table.

Edit: and for the 100th time, Diggle is based on John Smalls, Oliver's body guard introduced at the beginning of the Mayor Queen arc.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

I never wanted to bang Orko on a conference room table.

You're the exception that proves the rule.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

New set photos floating around are showing Felicity in a wheelchair and the Batman fanboys are losing their minds over it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Scyantific posted:

New set photos floating around are showing Felicity in a wheelchair and the Batman fanboys are losing their minds over it

I can see Rickards tearing into that character beat like a Thanksgiving turkey, particularly if her paralysis is permanent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks for reminding me. For me, that is the show's low point. The whole "nah, he was only mostly dead.", "just kidding, we used unexplained herbs", "no one will ever mention this ever agin." schtick was mind boggingly awful.

It's so bizarre because they went ahead and introduced the Lazarus pit later anyway, it was a perfect opportunity to foreshadow it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Looks like we won't be getting Slade back since Manu is on the MTV Shannara show.

(It's surprisingly not that bad)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

McSpanky posted:

It's so bizarre because they went ahead and introduced the Lazarus pit later anyway, it was a perfect opportunity to foreshadow it.

That would mean some pretty significant changes to the later LoA storyline though, unless they had another Lazarus Pit/people manage to sneak a mostly-dead Ollie into Nanda Parbat/somebody else beside Damien stole water from it, since Ollie's survival is what tips Ra's to name him as his successor. I suppose you could do it as "Ra's was impressed by the fight he put up so he decided to bring him back," but that's a little sloppier for all of the characters.

And it's not like the powers of ~mysterious Asian herbs~ hasn't been a big part of the show from the start - how many poisons has Ollie cured with those herbs from Lian Yu?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The herbs have to be linked to whatever mystical poo poo Constantine was talking about during episode 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Scyantific posted:

That's what this show needs. More Batman parallels. I wish DC had love for their television universe. They would've just green-lit a Batman TV show and we wouldn't have to deal with this from time to time.

• Locked thread