Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Munin posted:

This thing should blow fuses like a champ surely?

Nah, water has high enough resistance that the current draw isn't too much. The resistance is why it heats up as a matter of fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Is that... clear packing tape holding together the plastic seal?

Surely it's aerospace grade clear packing tape.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:stonk:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Munin posted:

This thing should blow fuses like a champ surely?

No, video goes into how much current it's drawing. 240VAC, peaking at around a kilowatt, that's just several amps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's certainly enough to cause electrolysis. Some of those bubbles aren't water vapour, they're hydrogen and oxygen.

Oh, and if you put it in chlorinated (or just salty) water, this thing will cause chlorine gas to come out.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I did wonder if it was causing electrolysis to occur. Was waiting to see if he'd try and gather some hydrogen to make a wee explosion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh, and if you put it in chlorinated (or just salty) water, this thing will cause chlorine gas to come out.

Better out than in :pseudo:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's certainly enough to cause electrolysis. Some of those bubbles aren't water vapour, they're hydrogen and oxygen.

The expert youtube comments claim it can't cause electrolysis because it is AC not DC.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
The new title for this thread is dumb and doesn't even make sense other than it sounds like osha if you pronounce it. The joke of it evidently goes over my head. Oh......shuhh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I don't get why it was renamed, is it named after a post in the thread or

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It sounds a bit like someone getting cut off while shouting 'oh, poo poo' because a container fell on their head I guess....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I don't get why it was renamed, is it named after a post in the thread or

Mods think changing thread titles is funny, whether the new title is actually good or not

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ohhhh! S'shuh! *does that motion where you gesture to the air and roll your eyes as if to say 'ha ha silly me'*

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Uhh....?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

OhsH posted:

Uhh....?

:thurman:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

thats would the electric chair should have been.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

New title makes me think of this:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh shuh. Oh Sha. OSHA. https://www.osha.gov/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is that a Dune II rocker launcher?
And if so, why did I recognize it after playing Dune II for a week or two twenty years ago?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I can only picture this as a device for flinging old people.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Computer viking posted:

Is that a Dune II rocker launcher?
And if so, why did I recognize it after playing Dune II for a week or two twenty years ago?

It is indeed, from the intro. Dunno, I thought it was pretty memorable, but I was a tiny child at the time. And played it obsessively for the next 25 years of my life or so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: Whoops, already posted.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 10, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hyperlynx posted:

It is indeed, from the intro. Dunno, I thought it was pretty memorable, but I was a tiny child at the time. And played it obsessively for the next 25 years of my life or so.

I randomly picked it up in the late 90s after I'd already played C&C (and warcraft 2), but apparently it made a bit of an impression. :)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

froward posted:

real world examples:
high voltage low current systems - like the electric potential generated by rubbing your feet on carpet in winter (a few thousand volts, a millionth of an amp) - can make massive sparks that make you say OUCH but don't even twitch your muscles. 15k volts and .4ma is a stun gun: throws enough current into your meat sack to seize muscles, but not enough to kill you (usually).

Sorry, kinda' late on this.

Ampacity or the flow of current is what can kill someone (electrocution). This can kill in a couple of different ways:

• Fibrillation - the flow of electricity causes you heart to "lose it's beat". This is a fatal condition if your heart doesn't get it's rhythm back. The heart will not be able to pump blood.
  • Respiratory paralysis - the flow of electricity can cause you to be unable to breathe in or out. This like fibrillation can be pretty fatal. Also, people swimming in pools and near docks have been electrocuted by faulty equipment in the water - being unable to move causes them to drown.
  • Falling or physical trauma - someone who is shocked working on a ladder or elevated platform could be knocked over, resulting in a fatal fall.
  • Burns - the burns themselves can be severe and fatal (more likely on higher voltage systems). These are burns caused by electricity flowing through the body - not burns from arc flash events.

Also people don't react the exact same way to the same amount or duration of electricity. Age and overall health can contribute to survivability. There have been people sent to the electric chair who (gruesomely) survived repeated applications of around 2kV, or ended up having their heart restart and gasp after they were declared dead. So they were strapped back in the chair and shocked a few more times until they were deceased.

Boat posted:

Nah, water has high enough resistance that the current draw isn't too much. The resistance is why it heats up as a matter of fact.

You could also have an element with impedance in series with the circuit to limit the flow of current as well. Other thing about that video - the plug is made for 120V. He's connecting it to 240V. It's going to draw four times as much power on the 240V circuit.

I've worked around live 790V and even 4160V equipment and him grabbing the spoon still made me cringe. :gonk:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 10, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TVs Ian posted:

Hospital killbots will be fun to watch.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Hospital killbots will be fun to watch.

You say this, and now I can only picture its nose as a captive bolt stunner.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

the thread isn't properly labeled so i fell over and died to bits

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don Tacorleone posted:

Mods think changing thread titles is funny, whether the new title is actually good or not

It's GBS, all good and interesting threads must be destroyed to make way for the thousands of one line shitpost threads.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Three-Phase posted:

You could also have an element with impedance in series with the circuit to limit the flow of current as well. Other thing about that video - the plug is made for 120V. He's connecting it to 240V. It's going to draw four times as much power on the 240V circuit.

I thought the Chinese/UK converter he used was a small 110/230V transformer?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boat posted:

I DON'T WANT THE ROBOT'S ESKIMO KISSES GET IT AWAY FROM ME

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

treasure bear posted:

the thread isn't properly labeled so i fell over and died to bits

Had an image of a man in a pit of swirling drill bits just being idk whatever would happen in that situation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boat posted:

I was imagining it gives you that reassuring hug, and then it just tightens its grip and pulps you in its arms.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

TVs Ian posted:

geriatrebuchet

also, the thread title sucks poo poo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Computer viking posted:

The cheap Chinese to anything plugs just allow mismatching hot/neutral pins to interact, with ground being left out.

Sometimes they also allow hot/neutral/ground/you to interact in new and exciting ways.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 10, 2016

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's GBS, all good and interesting threads must be destroyed to make way for the thousands of one line shitpost threads.

here's a link to a racist dailymail article, where's my goldmine

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was imagining it gives you that reassuring hug, and then it just tightens its grip and pulps you in its arms.

Bear hug?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

With the random name changes, GBS isn't up to OSHA standards. Petition to move this thread to a subforum where I can feel safe.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So which mod changed the thread title to that stupid poo poo, come on fess up

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Computer viking posted:

I don't know if you can fit a several-hundred volt-amp transformer into a package that small. No, I would be extremely surprised if there's a transformer in the outlet converter. He might have a 240/120 transformer, autotransformer (single-winding transformer, less safe) or rheostat somewhere out of frame that drops it down to 120V.

(Devices with modern switching power supplies can easily handle voltage inputs generally from 100Vac to 250Vac at 60 or 50Hz.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Right, true - putting 1kW through a transformer small enough to fit in a converter socket seems a bit unlikely.

• Locked thread