Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

Bus Rapid Transit

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

New York gives up and announces its futuristic ticketing solution:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

oh motherfuck, guess I'm not getting anywhere ever again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

just wait for it to come to buses :q:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

time to unleash the drunk bus posting demons then :twisted:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you're curious why transit is so poo poo in the USA here is an old link with part of the reason:
https://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/us-rail-construction-costs/

Tldr:

quote:

Second Avenue Subway Phase 1: $4.9-5.7 billion in 2007-17 for about 3 km of new tunnel. This is $1.7 billion per km.
Amsterdam North-South Line: €3.1 billion in 2009 money for 9.5 km of new tunnel. The project has run over budget by a factor of more than two, leading to accusations of boondoggle and remarks that the project should not have been built. This is $410 million per km.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shags lusts for a world that is devoid of bikes, buses, and trains

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

theflyingexecutive posted:

they should've put the camera on the ceiling with a zoom lens so you just set your phone facedown on the gate and someone steals your phone and ticket while it reads it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they should set it up so only a couple turnstiles use qr codes and keep the rest like ezpass lanes for the experienced

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

shags lusts for a world that is devoid of members of the working class

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

triple sulk posted:

shags lusts for a world that is devoid of bikes, buses, and trains

shags already lives in this world, it's called maine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jimmy Carter posted:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

oh god you have to be making GBS threads me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also how is public transport in miami? my gf's parents are going to south beach for a few days and while i could possibly go pick them up and drive them to wherever they want to go (i'm visiting my parents for the next few days about an hour away from there) i don't really want to borrow one of their cars for that

plus no way am i staying in their hotel room so i would have to commute back and forth to do so

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

didn't the aarp rate Miami as one of the most pedestrian-hostile areas in the USA?

e:yep, number 4 http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/05/the-most-dangerous-us-cities-for-pedestrians/371253/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

also how is public transport in miami?

you will need a car.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

shags already lives in this world, it's called maine

we have all of them and they're bad. the train could be good but it stops too much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
haha there was a dude riding a recumbent bike out in the snow but it was like a weird taller recumbent bike and he had a go pro on lmao. bicyclists are the worst "people"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you will need a car.

well poo poo. carting around some old koreans that barely speak english for 3 days will be great

unless it's possible for them to rent one? idk how that works for international people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you plan a trip without thinking about specifically how you're gonna get around based on local availability of transportation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

lol if you plan a trip without thinking about specifically how you're gonna get around based on local availability of transportation

well her parents came to visit her in nyc and she hasn't lived anywhere that doesn't have semi-decent public transportation (chicago, nyc, seoul & tokyo). i don't understand why they want to go somewhere after flying somewhere else but they originally wanted to take her to san francisco, although they didn't realize how far that is from nyc

so she thought a visit to FL before i leave for new york would be a nice surprise even though i go back the day they go back. she has a habit of making last minute long distance travel plans though. so nice of her to tell me literally less than a day before they get here :shepicide:

this is getting a little too cls though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

unless it's possible for them to rent one? idk how that works for international people

it is usually pretty easy

they might need international drivers permits (english-language translations of their driver's license data, not a license on its own). that varies state to state

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it's Florida so I'm sure a photo taped to some cardboard counts

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Our drivers licenses are international driver permits too, so there isnt a need for 2 of them, i am sure most eu countries are like that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

infernal machines posted:

UPX is great, too bad it has less than half the minimum level of ridership needed to make it feasible. there's a reason snc lavalin backed out of the P3 to operate and manage the line, and metrolinx is loving stupid to think they were somehow going to manage 100% fare recovery and still have anyone ride it.

maybe after another couple years of ghost trains riding empty night and day metrolinx will decide to take the money they're burning running trains with no one in them and use it to subsidize the fare down to like $5 so it's a practical alternative to an airport limo.

i think i posted this before but my company is like a five minute walk from union and we have ~15 remote employees that fly in to pearson probably like 4-6 times per year. i am the only one who has ever taken upx and i was the only one who knew it existed until i stumbled across it on one visit and started asking my coworkers about it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

i think i posted this before but my company is like a five minute walk from union and we have ~15 remote employees that fly in to pearson probably like 4-6 times per year. i am the only one who has ever taken upx and i was the only one who knew it existed until i stumbled across it on one visit and started asking my coworkers about it

public transportation?

but...that's for poors!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

notorious made a good point that every missed. commuter buses + transit doesn't help people live without cars. for example it's good and easy to take the train or bus to the CBD for work here in sydney but trying to take the irregular, slow roundabout transit to go cross town to visit friends or do shopping is a major pain and driving is way easier and faster

most cities need a good network instead of a CBD focused network that only caters to the 9-5 M-F crowd. i believe houston recently fixed their network to make it work for people who need to go other places than the centre of town and it sounds way better
http://humantransit.org/2014/05/houston-a-transit-network-reimagined.html

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

also we only give buses priority lanes in peak hour so if you're on the bus on the weekend or during the day you're stuck in traffic and may as well drive. lmao.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

http://www.trapezegroup.co.uk/article/the-pilots-of-our-roads-recognising-the-importance-of-bus-drivers

Not that people have ever paid respect to members of a profession based on how demanding it is, but an interesting comparison none the less.

Ultimately, planes are associated with travel, leisure, and business, where buses are associated with students, olds and poors. Operating an aircraft is something almost all of us will never do, but every middle class commuter feels entitled to opine as to the quality of every other motorist's driving.

But there's a lot of truth here. People really overlook how challenging operating a bus can be. We expect bus operators to operate large motor vehicles to exacting schedules within frequently chaotic traffic and road conditions, all while maintaining composed and knowledgeable customer service, and we expect them to do it alone.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Jimmy Carter posted:

motherfucking QR codes

one of the coffee shops i go to uses levelup for app-based payments. it's based on a little qr scanner hooked up to a cash register that scans a qr code on a smartphone.

in practice, even if image quality is good you have to line your phone up with the scanner and it takes a second or two.

so lol at using such a thing for public transit regardless of those factors you mentioned.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on my Microsoft Lumia 950 running Windows 10 Phone for WIndows Phones QR code reading is so fast you don't even have time to align the code before the phone finds it and reads it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

how fast is it on your iphone 6s?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they'll still issue paper tickets, probably, with the QR code printed on them, as NJ transit does

it works worse than the old scanner tickets, but it doesn't immediately fail when you insert the ticket into the machine the wrong way (most typical issue)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the other issue with metrocards is people deliberately loving with them because people are assholes (whichll totally happen with qr too, prob scratchiti or stickers covering the scanners)

last winter someone filled one card scanner by me with chewed gum, in freezing weather, that was cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

it works worse than the old scanner tickets, but it doesn't immediately fail when you insert the ticket into the machine the wrong way (most typical issue)
in glorious nippon the readers work no matter which way you put the ticket in [although most people pay using nfc]

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PhilippAchtel posted:

But there's a lot of truth here. People really overlook how challenging operating a bus can be. We expect bus operators to operate large motor vehicles to exacting schedules within frequently chaotic traffic and road conditions, all while maintaining composed and knowledgeable customer service, and we expect them to do it alone.

No one who has had to take the bus more than a few times (on vacation to some far-off European utopia, probably) expects bus drivers to do any of those things.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

chicago used to use the same cars as MetroCards but did it with motorized readers that sucked the card in and spit it out at the correct speed to read them.

i miss those readers :(

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

in glorious nippon the readers work no matter which way you put the ticket in [although most people pay using nfc]

at most city centers each gate is staffed by at least 2 people to help you out due to technical errors and human errors

they're amazing when they work though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

this is one of the worst parts about america. her parents coming from korea might not think about this stuff because you can take a last minute trip to any major city in asia and worry about details like how to get around once you get there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

this is one of the worst parts about america. her parents coming from korea might not think about this stuff because you can take a last minute trip to any major city in asia and worry about details like how to get around once you get there

get a rental car BITCH

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Share Bear posted:

at most city centers each gate is staffed by at least 2 people to help you out due to technical errors and human errors

they're amazing when they work though

in glorious japan, literally every entrance/exit gate of every station in the entire country has 1-2 people there to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we can't afford that kind of expense in north america, because of unions you see

• Locked thread