Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

quote:

This was thanks to a well-placed source. Who told me in January 2013, months before the Xbox One launch, that Microsoft planned to make two Xbox vNext consoles:

really, how in the gently caress does a fully grown native English speaker write that and publish it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

drop the xbox name... call is something like.. Windows... media centre?

also isn't releasing a smaller version of a console standard fair by now. "microsoft should do what they and competitors have been doing like clockwork already :downs:" -- thurrot

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Microsoft, It’s Time for Xbox One S and an Entertainment Set-Top Box

as usual I'm torn between directing the lols at the sentence structure or the actual thoughts

His source was that leak account on NeoGAF, sounds like.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
for months i was the only person with an inside track to incorrect information.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thurrott's plan for xbox is to release a device that isn't called xbox and doesn't play games :confused:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

eschaton posted:

I'm surprised they haven't decided to release a slightly-upgraded Xbone+ that just improves CPU & GPU performance and adds RAM, so existing titles can be tweaked to run at 1080p60 and all new titles can be locked to that

it would at least help repair the Xbone's rep as being underpowered and having the wrong kind of RAM

ok I'm not actually surprised at all that they don't do this, even though other consumer electronics companies whose volume eclipses theirs to a ridiculous degree have managed major hardware upgrades without breaking software compatibility, annually, for many years

a longstanding pedigree exists of expanded gaming devices that are never used and piss away money and i agree that microsoft should get in on it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

really, how in the gently caress does a fully grown native English speaker write that and publish it

PleasureKevin posted:

standard fair

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the wii u is the closest thing to a "slight upgrade" in the history of consoles and has cratered nintendo into their first losses ever as a company

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
But what about neo geo pocket...color!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

the wii u is the closest thing to a "slight upgrade" in the history of consoles and has cratered nintendo into their first losses ever as a company
there's only like a dozen different versions of the 3ds

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

thurrott's plan for xbox is to release a device that isn't called xbox and doesn't play games :confused:

oh so an xbox one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anthonypants posted:

there's only like a dozen different versions of the 3ds

and each is selling slower than the last

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Microsoft is back from years in the woods, fearless and full of ambition

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-company-without-fear

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao he thinks micorsof should get in on the $30 anroid tv box game

hmm, yes, let me buy a microsoft made media player that will surely have excellent support outside the us and will not be abandoned within months.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

bribing 100 blogs to write puff pieces about you must be like 2% as expensive as a real ad campaign

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

qirex posted:

bribing 100 blogs to write puff pieces about you must be like 2% as expensive as a real ad campaign

At the turn of the century, Microsoft had endured a very public battle with the US government, rival companies, and nearly half of the states in the union, followed by years of court-ordered scrutiny into its business practices. One judge had even ordered a break-up of the company though this was overturned on appeal. This is scary stuff. Like the oppressive environment of his home, the New York City neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen shaped Daredevil's hardened character, this court battle was a culture-defining burden for Microsoft.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Puppet Master posted:

Like the oppressive environment of his home, the New York City neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen shaped Daredevil's hardened character, this court battle was a culture-defining burden for Microsoft.

:barf:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The Puppet Master posted:

At the turn of the century, Microsoft had endured a very public battle with the US government, rival companies, and nearly half of the states in the union, followed by years of court-ordered scrutiny into its business practices. One judge had even ordered a break-up of the company though this was overturned on appeal. This is scary stuff. Like the oppressive environment of his home, the New York City neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen shaped Daredevil's hardened character, this court battle was a culture-defining burden for Microsoft.

this really speaks to me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm not sure if that's a daredevil joke i don't get or a gordon ramsey joke i don't get

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Someone post the thing with my little ponies photoshopped into the Warsaw ghetto

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i like to think that deciding to base his career around speculating microsoft's next move has driven thurrott to such rampant alcoholism that the already barely functional language center of his brain withered away into something resembling a tiny bean

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Someone post the thing with my little ponies photoshopped into the Warsaw ghetto

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jfc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

quote:

Microsoft's bold ventures into areas that rivals dared not tread have arguably positioned the company beyond the curve. Deliberate steps into the cloud, mixed reality, a unified platform, a freemium model for Office, category-defining hybrid hardware and expensive gaming accessories are signs of a company that's not afraid of what lies beyond the bend. This ambition is likely due to an acute sense of what the future holds.

since when does "throw literal poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" equate to "deliberate steps"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

How did you even find one without the comment?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

thank you for blacking out my deviantart username

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sagebrush posted:

How did you even find one without the comment?

less offensive than that windows central article

pram
Jun 10, 2001

classic

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

As you may recall, Microsoft has delivered KB3035583 as a 'recommended update' to users of Windows 7 and 8.1. What this update does is install GWX ("Get Windows 10"), a program which diagnoses the system to see if it is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, and if so, asks the user if they would like to upgrade (though recently, the option to decline has been removed). Some users have gotten around this by editing Windows Registry values for "AllowOSUpgrade", "DisableOSUpgrade", "DisableGWX", and "ReservationsAllowed" in order to disable the prompt altogether. This advice was endorsed by Microsoft on their support forums.

According to a report by Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld, the newest version of the KB3035583 update includes a background process which scans the system's Windows Registry twice a day to see if the values for the four aforementioned registry inputs were manually edited to disable the upgrade prompt. If they were, the process will alter the values, silently re-download the Windows 10 installation files (about 6 GB in total), and prompt the user to upgrade.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Thank god win 7 enterprise doesn't have this poo poo...yet

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

i hate microsfot

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

As you may recall, Microsoft has delivered KB3035583 as a 'recommended update' to users of Windows 7 and 8.1. What this update does is install GWX ("Get Windows 10"), a program which diagnoses the system to see if it is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, and if so, asks the user if they would like to upgrade (though recently, the option to decline has been removed). Some users have gotten around this by editing Windows Registry values for "AllowOSUpgrade", "DisableOSUpgrade", "DisableGWX", and "ReservationsAllowed" in order to disable the prompt altogether. This advice was endorsed by Microsoft on their support forums.

According to a report by Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld, the newest version of the KB3035583 update includes a background process which scans the system's Windows Registry twice a day to see if the values for the four aforementioned registry inputs were manually edited to disable the upgrade prompt. If they were, the process will alter the values, silently re-download the Windows 10 installation files (about 6 GB in total), and prompt the user to upgrade.

that's bullshit, but i believe it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

univbee posted:

No that's okay don't link it or anything

I mean if true, sure, :yikes: - especially because they'll add new listings for the upgrade thinger on the regular.

On the other hand, by the time Microsoft's done updating 7, it'll have all the disadvantages of 10 with none of the advantages.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
someone repost that shining axe through door windows 10 gif

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

No that's okay don't link it or anything

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3020460/microsoft-windows/banishing-get-windows-10-nagware-isnt-as-easy-as-you-think.html

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that OS sounds like it's bad

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

i finally surrendered and went to 10. minus the start menu, it's just fine

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Clockwerk posted:

i finally surrendered and went to 10. minus the start menu, it's just fine

wait till you have to change a setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

lol

os x just gives you a little notification for el capitan that you can dismiss and never see again

• Locked thread