Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What do the multiple monitor options in the settings do? Are they stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Megasabin posted:

What do the multiple monitor options in the settings do? Are they stable?
The monitor number one? Just lets you choose what monitor you want it to display on, unless there's another option I'm missing. No way to stretch it across two or anything fancy like that, that I know of.

e: digging through the dialogue xml file again, I like the Plague Doctor even more. There are so many lines I've never seen, a lot of the conditions for triggering them are... pretty specific.

quote:

Silence! Or I'll expose you all to corrosive humours

Medicine marks a new age, ignorant barbarians!

Urinate in this flask. No, you're fine -- I just need it.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 9, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What trinkets do you guys use for a Jester in the back spot? I'm running a Jester-Occultist-Abom-Abom team and can't decide what would be most useful.

E: +crit?

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2016

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

The Plague Doctor has a rat, but it's dead. :(

Pet leeches.

"GIVE THEM BACK WHEN YOU'RE DONE."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The monitor number one? Just lets you choose what monitor you want it to display on, unless there's another option I'm missing. No way to stretch it across two or anything fancy like that, that I know of.

e: digging through the dialogue xml file again, I like the Plague Doctor even more. There are so many lines I've never seen, a lot of the conditions for triggering them are... pretty specific.

I've wondered for a while if you could mod in new lines easily enough. I always thought it strange that there's almost 5000 lines for various character-specific afflictions and virtues, but then you get down to the increasing stress trigger and there's only a half dozen generic lines.

Maybe I should find a few minutes between now and release to test.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh Darn. I thought it would do something neat like put a map and an inventory on another monitor. I wish more games did that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wish the barks in the XML came out more in regular play. Most people will never even see them.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Coolguye posted:

I've wondered for a while if you could mod in new lines easily enough. I always thought it strange that there's almost 5000 lines for various character-specific afflictions and virtues, but then you get down to the increasing stress trigger and there's only a half dozen generic lines.

Maybe I should find a few minutes between now and release to test.
Editing the actual existing lines seems like it would be just a matter of changing the .xml file, I'd be curious to see if dumping additional lines in would work as well though, or if it would break something.

For sure though, there are many that are very specific. The triggers for this one, for instance, seem to require that you be do a camp event with a stressed out Plague Doctor who has the Paranoid affliction:
plague_doctor+str_bark_stress_camp_paranoid"><![CDATA[How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

And it's one of three possible lines for just that scenario!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

quote:

• Urinate in this flask. No, you're fine -- I just need it.
  • How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Traveling with the Plague Doctor sounds stressful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I've got most of my Rank 3's who haven't leveled yet taking a stress off (all 7 of them, because I'm down a roster member that I was hoping to fill with a second Vestal) So now it's high time to go take out the Veteran bosses I believe, I have access to

Rank 4s
3 Crusaders
1 Vestal
1 Hellion
1 Grave Robber
1 Bounty Hunter
1 Abomination
2 Men at Arms
1 Highwayman
1 Occultist
1 Plague Doctor
1 Houndmaster

I'm thinking about going after the Necromancer with Triple Crusaders and a Vestal and just Holy Lancing him to Oblivion

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Editing the actual existing lines seems like it would be just a matter of changing the .xml file, I'd be curious to see if dumping additional lines in would work as well though, or if it would break something.

For sure though, there are many that are very specific. The triggers for this one, for instance, seem to require that you be do a camp event with a stressed out Plague Doctor who has the Paranoid affliction:
plague_doctor+str_bark_stress_camp_paranoid"><![CDATA[How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

And it's one of three possible lines for just that scenario!

Yeah, I was reviewing it earlier and noticed the specific triggers. You should be able to at least reuse the existing triggers trivially, but that's not really the point. The point is that after you have 3 of the above barks, you've also got:

<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[This expedition is doomed!]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[This cannot continue...]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[*breathes heavily*]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[I...this...can't...]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[We have seen such horrors already!]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[We shall not survive. This I know.]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[It gnaws at the back of my mind...]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[What are we doing?]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[W-we should run!]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[*gasp!*]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[I don't like this...]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[I-I don't want to die here!]]></entry>
<entry id="str_bark_increasingstress"><![CDATA[It's over for us - over!]]></entry>

And that's it for when people are getting stressed out. Seriously, what?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Onmi posted:

So, I've got most of my Rank 3's who haven't leveled yet taking a stress off (all 7 of them, because I'm down a roster member that I was hoping to fill with a second Vestal) So now it's high time to go take out the Veteran bosses I believe, I have access to

Rank 4s
3 Crusaders
1 Vestal
1 Hellion
1 Grave Robber
1 Bounty Hunter
1 Abomination
2 Men at Arms
1 Highwayman
1 Occultist
1 Plague Doctor
1 Houndmaster

I'm thinking about going after the Necromancer with Triple Crusaders and a Vestal and just Holy Lancing him to Oblivion

I use double crusader for ruins, but I wouldn't recommend 3. The one farthest back may have some turns where they have no moves they can use.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Pavlov posted:

I use double crusader for ruins, but I wouldn't recommend 3. The one farthest back may have some turns where they have no moves they can use.

I agree, I would probably use 2 Crusaders, a Vestal, and a Grave Robber or Highwayman in rank 3.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

So my Arbalest contracted rabies and I'm tempted to leave it on, but it IS very unethical to leave a hero ill, Oh morality, why must you be a bitter pill to swallow?

he's probably a deserter who fragged his commander or something

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Okay absolutely shredded the necromancer, One of my Crusaders ranked up (I followed the advice of only bringing two) So for the Prophet I can do the same trick. On the other hand I just got a new Vestal recruit (I was very sad to lose the last one as she started with some amazing Quirks) So time to diverge for a moment to level her up on a short map, and then it's either the Prophet, the Hag, the Swine King or the Siren. The Swine King is ridiculously easy since I can bring an Arbalest with Signal Flare to negate his mark and just hammer into him with a Leper or Hellion. the Siren is... Well the last Siren fight was 'Fail to mind control Hellion until the very end of the fight and then get shot to death before even getting a turn off) and the Hag... I think I'll just do what I did last time, and try to DPS her with Bounty Hunter, Occultist, Hellion and a fourth.

The funny thing (I guess?) about fragging the Necromancer is besides the Arbalest I completely forgot to attach Trinkets to my team (there was no warning as the Arbalest had pre-equipped her trinkets) And he still completely melted under my barrage. He never even got into Rank 3 as one Crusader would hit a Skeleton and the Arbalest would usually wind up killing it with a Bola. Or I would deviate from group heals with a Judgement.

It makes me laugh when I remember my first save file attempting to fight the Apprentice Necromancer and how much I got dunked on.

EDIT: Took out the Swine King even though I realized too late my Arbalest didn't know Signal Flare. Still with her, the Leper and Reynauld doing 20+ damage a hit and the healing of the Occultist, King went down hard and fast. Now my Arbalest, the Rabies one, contracted Hysterical Blindness, now I know I need to treat that, so it's a roll of the dice whether or not I lose my amazing damage bonus (I got the Sniper Ring to negate penalties to Rabies. She also got Quick Reflexes and I'm becoming attached to her as a unit. I might even give her a name since she hit Rank 5)

EDIT 2: Occultist, Grave Robber, Abomination and Hellion tore the Hag apart, it took two turns, and she missed her chance to dunk the Grave Robber in the pot. My Occultist joined the other Rank 5s, Which means it's time for another side mission, Rank up the new Vestal to Rank 3 (minimum) with the remaining Rank 3s. I'll be dragging along the Jester as well, as I'm figuring either next or the mission after I'll be going after the Unstable Flesh, and Hound+Joker Bleed will be hilarious, I forget if it's weak to blight as well and if I should throw in the Plague Doctor. 5 Veteran Bosses Remain.

AND THE loving COLLECTOR DROPPED HIS TRAPEZOHEDRON AGAIN NOT AN ITEM I CAN USE.

EDIT 3: And right now down to the Sunken Crew and 12 Pounder. My new Vestal is up to Rank 3, leaving her and a Grave Robber with Rabies as the only two Rank 3's remaining. 17 Rank 4s remain, though many of them are a short mission away from Ranking up. I'm thinking about taking an Occultist/Vestal/Grave Robber/Hellion team to take down either the Crew or Pounder.

EDIT 4: Welp, all that's left is the Sunken Crew. I am honestly shocked I beat the Pounder, if only because besides the Occultist I forgot to equip trinkets, or rather the Occultist had them from a previous run, and thus the game didn't warn me. Plus side, everyone survived, it just took forever.

Still. Only the Sunken Crew to go, and then it's leveling everyone up into Rank 5. And I certainly hope I don't experience the same level of culture shock that I did going from Apprentice to Veteran.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 10, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Reading this makes me wonder if the bosses need a buff. My Necromancer also melted under the Plague Doctor barrage, and yet I remember him kicking my rear end the first time I fought him... Half a dozen updates ago.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Found a Shambler shrine for the first time in a Short Apprentice dungeon run. Hadn't really played much with that party but figured "heh it's Apprentice dungeon WHAT COULD GO WRONG." EVIDENTLY, EVERYTHING. Jesus christ that increasing damage buff. After two died I had to pull out lol

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Reading this makes me wonder if the bosses need a buff. My Necromancer also melted under the Plague Doctor barrage, and yet I remember him kicking my rear end the first time I fought him... Half a dozen updates ago.

I do think that the bosses need a bit of a buff, their stat scaling cant seem to keep up with your team's equipment/skill/trinket upgrades. While not as big an issue as it was in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the difficulty feels front loaded. The game still feels tense, like it can quickly go south with a few unlucky crits, but with an upgraded team it very rarely ends up with mass party wipes. I am hoping that the next patch will smooth out the balance, but I am happy enough that the game never feels like a cakewalk.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Found a Shambler shrine for the first time in a Short Apprentice dungeon run. Hadn't really played much with that party but figured "heh it's Apprentice dungeon WHAT COULD GO WRONG.
This is why I highly discourage people from reading spoilers about curios at first

Everyone should have this experience

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is why I highly discourage people from reading spoilers about curios at first

Everyone should have this experience
I first encountered my first Shambler shrine in the first Cleanse the Three Holy Idols dungeon I ever ran, before running into any of the idols

So of course I mistook it for one of the idols

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You can randomly encounter the shambler on the road to the mansion if you douse the torch.

Also just picked up playing this again and wanted to confirm it's great. I love taking a brand new party on a dark run just to watch them devolve into bickering manic psychopaths.

I really wish the inventory / roster sizes were bigger though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think the bosses are plenty challenging, yeah, when you know how to fight them they melt, but I'm not going to lie, that's preferable. That said, we could stand to differentiate the different levels of them in more ways than just having more Numbers.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is anyone both running this under Windows 10 and streaming it using OBS multiplatform?

The game runs fine, but OBS stops capturing the image after about 30 seconds. Tried in both Window and Game capture mode.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Aw bugger, the game's gonna have achievements now. My completionist tendencies will force me to run a second file.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp, this is it, I'm onto the final set of bosses before the end-game content runs out, All but 7 characters are Rank 5, Which means I can start filling out that requirement list. Then, it's all preparation for the Darkest Dungeon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

Aw bugger, the game's gonna have achievements now. My completionist tendencies will force me to run a second file.

I assumed the game already had achievements in the form of the list in-game of bosses you killed and level 6s you have. If they post-patch give you achievements for that poo poo that'd be cool but if not I don't care. Impossible to quantify an entire team quivering in fear at the Formless Flesh until finally the Vestal rises up, becomes Virtuous, inspires the Leper to become Focused, and they both avenge Dismas' death with two consecutive crits for the victory.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I assumed the game already had achievements in the form of the list in-game of bosses you killed and level 6s you have. If they post-patch give you achievements for that poo poo that'd be cool but if not I don't care. Impossible to quantify an entire team quivering in fear at the Formless Flesh until finally the Vestal rises up, becomes Virtuous, inspires the Leper to become Focused, and they both avenge Dismas' death with two consecutive crits for the victory.
Oh yeah I've already had moments like that before, all to do with good old Shambler. I managed to beat it the first two times I ever faced thanks to stress leading to powerful virtues, but all other times have been a disaster... :(

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Intermediate bosses really don't mess around. I had to turn back twice at the final step due to ambushes, and I had a near-full-party wipe to that one treebranch rear end in a top hat. Just when I thought Swinetaurs were the worst of it too.

Looks like I'm going to just run regular missions for a while to get them up to level 4+ and upgrade my town a bit more.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Leper backstory

All hail King Baldwin!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rich, detailed backstory of "he's a leper"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

idk I thought he was just a poet, looks like he was a king of some sort who exiled himself for the good of his people, who still care for him

That one definitely adds more to the mix than the lovely MAA one

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Obviously he worked his way up to be King by winning epic sixteenth century rap battles.

"Petals in the Wind...bitch!" *chops podium in half with giant sword*

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I can't stop seeing the stress symbol everywhere in these art pieces now and I don't know if it's intentional anymore.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mzbundifund posted:

I can't stop seeing the stress symbol everywhere in these art pieces now and I don't know if it's intentional anymore.

I... I can only sort of see it in the gate, and only after you pointed out. It seems like we got opposite afflictions.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Oh I forgot to mention, the email for backer designed items says they have a similar system to backer designed characters, in that you can get yours for free just by typing it in at the nomad wagon. I really do hope they have a system for limiting that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah ok fair enough, with this background strip we get "leader", "beloved" and also some reference to those cherry blossoms that the leper keeps banging on about in his barks

i think the highwayman one was more effective though. i also don't know where people are seeing the stress symbol

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I see the stress symbol in the archstones making up the exit gate in the final panel. The shadows on the stones look very stress-y to me, but like I said, I don't know if it was intentional or if I'm just finding it because I'm specifically trying to find it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

I... I can only sort of see it in the gate, and only after you pointed out. It seems like we got opposite afflictions.

The doorway hes coming out of after putting on the mask looks like it. More than the gate does to me.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Considering the mortality rates of the average crew, it's kind of hilarious to imagine all these kingdoms dealing with leper kings. Guess someone didn't wash their hands preparing the goods at the latest King-con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
All kings have body doubles, and after the original king got leprosy, all the body doubles had to get it too.