Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Belisarius6 posted:

I'm stunned at the reaction I've received for my link to Suvorov's "Icebreaker". The only reason I used the "Justice4Germans" website was because my Google search showed it had the book available online. I never stated support for Nazism - in fact I immediately followed up my first comment with a statement that Hitler was going to attack the Soviet Union regardless of any provocation or threat. Yet forum participants are all over me for being a Nazi sympathizer. Someone changed my avatar, I'm assuming the moderator himself, to a cum covered Iron Cross. What the hell? This is why the U.S. is collapsing before our eyes - nobody's willing to make a serious effort at understanding any viewpoint that differs from their own - even when that viewpoint is, all in all, very much the same.

You didn't put any serious effort in finding a more credible source for your argument, and linked to a clearly pro-nazi website.

Accusing mods of changing your avatar is dumb, and if you're so offended go re-reg or buy something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Belisarius6 posted:

I'm stunned at the reaction I've received for my link to Suvorov's "Icebreaker". The only reason I used the "Justice4Germans" website was because my Google search showed it had the book available online. I never stated support for Nazism - in fact I immediately followed up my first comment with a statement that Hitler was going to attack the Soviet Union regardless of any provocation or threat. Yet forum participants are all over me for being a Nazi sympathizer. Someone changed my avatar, I'm assuming the moderator himself, to a cum covered Iron Cross. What the hell? This is why the U.S. is collapsing before our eyes - nobody's willing to make a serious effort at understanding any viewpoint that differs from their own - even when that viewpoint is, all in all, very much the same.

No, someone spent real money to call a spade a spade. Weren't no moderator.

And a lot of us aren't from the US, so I'm no sure how you used us calling you a Nazi (rightly) as your personal pro-Trump vehicle or whatever.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mods, make me a mod, clearly that's how this poo poo works.

I promise to give many idiots and neonazis avatars.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Reminder to all forums members: Don't feed the troll.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nothing to seehere posted:

Reminder to all forums members: Don't feed the troll.

Meh he'll be banned in like 20 minutes anyway, might as well have some fun while he's here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, he just needs to find the right thread in D&D and he'll fit right in.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

goatface posted:

Nah, he just needs to find the right thread in D&D and he'll fit right in.

Is Emden still around?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hopefully Grey can get through this game once as Japan before the US collapses before our eyes...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it would be best if you all dropped this line of conversation. I don't see anything good coming from it at all.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, I saw there was like 30 new posts and I thought some carrier battle ensued, and find out its just some Nazi apologist.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I think it would be best if you all dropped this line of conversation. I don't see anything good coming from it at all.

First, I'd like a response on how apparently we're the same person? I mean, I'm pretty certain I'm just me, but apparently poo poo is really getting weird and more then just the US is collapsing.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

lenoon posted:

I guess an occasional salutary reminder that the grog world is divided into two groups:

People like us who really enjoy ridiculously in depth games of strategy and planning.

and

Hitler apologists

I usually play the Axis in grand strategic wargames, 'cause I like playing the losing side and seeing if I can get them to win.

I always feel at least a little bit dirty doing so, though.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thalantos posted:

I usually play the Axis in grand strategic wargames, 'cause I like playing the losing side and seeing if I can get them to win.

I play Axis in a bunch of wargames because I find of of there equipment fascinating, like any TFR goon does. That said, my favorite WW2 story still involvers my Opa pissing on dead Nazis in Holland when he was a boy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MohawkSatan posted:

That said, my favorite WW2 story still involvers my Opa pissing on dead Nazis in Holland when he was a boy.

I've always enjoyed one of my grandfather's WW2 stories. He enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor and spent the entire war on a destroyer patrolling South America and the Caribbean for u-boats. His entire war experience was tropical hookers and booze without firing a shot in anger. :v:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

I play Axis in a bunch of wargames because I find of of there equipment fascinating, like any TFR goon does. That said, my favorite WW2 story still involvers my Opa pissing on dead Nazis in Holland when he was a boy.

Ah yes, the old classics that get revisited to this day.

http://imgur.com/tj1Dvuk

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cythereal posted:

I've always enjoyed one of my grandfather's WW2 stories. He enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor and spent the entire war on a destroyer patrolling South America and the Caribbean for u-boats. His entire war experience was tropical hookers and booze without firing a shot in anger. :v:

Mine served on an airplane tender in the Pacific (that is actually modelled in WITP but doesn't show up until 1944).

Grey's probably gonna be sinking a lot of peoples' grandpas in this LP.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Oma's only story from the war aside hungry and cold wast watching a Stuka bomb a cow and getting chocolate from Canadian troops.

Peanut3141 posted:

Ah yes, the old classics that get revisited to this day.

http://imgur.com/tj1Dvuk

Pretty sure a Dutch boy pissing on dead Nazis that had been occupying his country and for a good chunk of his life at that point is different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drone posted:

Mine served on an airplane tender in the Pacific (that is actually modelled in WITP but doesn't show up until 1944).

Both of mine should be safe, I think. Paternal's destroyer never left the Atlantic, maternal spent the war in an Army legal office state-side processing paperwork for, in his words, an army of drunks, deserters, rapists, and murderers.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Drone posted:

Is JFK in the game? I know a lot of other named historical figures are kicking around as pilots and commanders. That could be a fun mini-Japanese victory.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Pretty sure a Dutch boy pissing on dead Nazis that had been occupying his country and for a good chunk of his life at that point is different.

War crimes are war crimes whether they're committed by the good guys or bad guys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His boat is, I think we saw it kill something last run.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
50 new posts, Grey must have sunk the Enterprise!

Oh.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My paternal grandfather was too old (and also lame), so he got to stay home during the war. My maternal grandfather was captured by the enemy when we got our asses kicked in Greece, was handed over to the brits, and spent the rest of the war living somewhat comfortably as a POW in India :shrug:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My great grandfather went AWOL at Dunkirk and spent the war living in the south of France - the other died while serving with the BEF in 1938.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

lenoon posted:

the other died while serving with the BEF in 1938.

Before the war even started? :confused:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My maternal grandfather was part of the invasion of southern France. He blamed the extraordinary masses of aircraft flying overhead for his hearing loss later in life. Went home after being shot in the leg.

Paternal grandfather never saw fighting, as he was drafted late in the war and was in training to be part of the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands. As my father hadn't been born yet, this gives me somewhat mixed feelings about the whole nuclear bomb thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My maternal grandfather was one of the guys who was going to drive the landing craft for an invasion of Japan. He never saw combat.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thalantos posted:

It's probably why the eastern front is an extremely strong scenario to play, both sides are the underdogs. On one side, you have a desperate defense against the forces of evil before turning the tide, on the other side you've got the idiots that poked the Russian bear.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

team overhead smash posted:

.....and Stalin cannily tricked Hitler into all those invasions.

Hmmm.....much like Roosevelt did with Japan....or....? I mean, we are in the Pacific, are we not..?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Belisarius6 posted:

There is a book called "Antisuvorov" that literally goes through "Icebreaker" reference by reference and demonstrates how Suvorov's quotes are either hilariously out of context or not actually present in the document he refers to. Rezun (Suvorov is just his nom de plume) rode the anti-Soviet sentiment of the 1990s to make a quick buck, he is by no means a historian whose work you should be taking seriously.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

drat it WITP thread. I thought something interesting had happened.

Instead someone tried to prove that Hitler did nothing wrong...ON THE LP FORUM. what. We have a History AND a Politics forum on here for a reason.
This is just like people putting lovely sexist jokes in my Dad jokes group on FB >: (

Also, I am 100% okay with it being the President Coolaid.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

My great-grandfather died fighting the russians in 1940 and I have the notification of death signed by Mannerheim framed on my wall and a picture of him in uniform on my desk, welp that's my family war story.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

HerraS posted:

My great-grandfather died fighting the russians in 1940 and I have the notification of death signed by Mannerheim framed on my wall and a picture of him in uniform on my desk, welp that's my family war story.

Post / av combo.

My grandfather's is the Waffen SS barging in and setting the village on fire and shooting the priest and dragging his corpse through the streets and leaving a single severed finger, origin unknown, on a table.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
My grandfather got moved about on a few different ships during his time in the Navy. The two I remember him talking about was he spent a lot of the war as an AA gunner on a fleet oiler. Which meant he did jack poo poo because his ship had to be kept way far away from the actual fleet and the last thing he wanted to do was be shooting signal flares showing every plane in the area where the floating fuel-air explosive was. He remembers the Indianapolis stopping by briefly to refuel.

I think he was a Master-at-Arms during the occupation, I forget which ship he was based from but regulating people coming/going and bringing things on/off the ship. His only real story was that he took cigarettes that were supposed to be disposed of because new ones had arrived and bartered them for various things like a kimono and a few nick-knacks for my grandmother (because he was the one supposed to be monitoring bringing stuff on/off, he got away with a fair bit). Still have a bored out mortar shell and a knife of some variety that I found in the old house after he died.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've currently (i.e. as of January 42) got one great-grandfather in-theater, stationed aboard the USS Whitney somewhere around Pearl Harbor. He'll be transferred to the USS Wilkes-Barre soon enough, though. I've also got a a grandfather who won't be showing up for another three and a half years on the USS Ira Jeffery, and a Great Uncle I don't know a lot about who will allegedly be a gunner on a PBY.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

My Grandpa served with the engineers building and maintaining airfields throughout the war. Bout the most interesting thing that happened to him is when the Japanese launched a bombing raid on the field he was stationed at during the middle of the night while the airfield was filled with loaded bombers.

He actually had this wrote down somewhere, I should try to find it.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Nope wheraboos trying to defend nazis.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, Grey already nearly bombed my paternal grandmother as, just like in real life, she lived in Honolulu at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. Dud even landed up the street from her house in a different yard.

Neither of my grandfathers are likely to be involved though, as one was flying Catalina patrols on the East Coast, and the other ended up just barely missing the war and ended up on MP duty in Berlin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would love to hear stories from people who crewed the glorious flying whale that is the PBY.

Catalina is the best boatplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The worst part of sinking the President Coolaid is that we'll never again get to use that amazing name :(