Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Literally The Worst posted:

Why is there a guide for Final Fantasy 13 Hallway Simulator

Because the crafting system requires a lot of grinding and is a bit obtuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Final Fantasy IX is coming to steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

Yay! I loved FFIX the best out of the PSOne Final Fantasy games. Hope Square doesn't gently caress it up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Look at these words posted by someone that probably didn't even maximize their Turtles per Hour.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Augus posted:

Because the crafting system requires a lot of grinding and is a bit obtuse?

Saint Freak posted:

Look at these words posted by someone that probably didn't even maximize their Turtles per Hour.
IIRC the joke is the guide didn't even really communicate the the basics of crafting to get your turtles per hour up, beyond telling you the importance of turtles for ultimate weapons.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Saint Freak posted:

I don't even have crafting unlocked because I've been playing 7 instead mostly

Gonna go back to it tonight, wanna finish it or get close before I get 10

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

General Emergency posted:

Final Fantasy IX is coming to steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

Yay! I loved FFIX the best out of the PSOne Final Fantasy games. Hope Square doesn't gently caress it up.

Also at some point this port is coming to phones

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't even have crafting unlocked because I've been playing 7 instead mostly

Gonna go back to it tonight, wanna finish it or get close before I get 10

Prioritizing actually good games like 7 and 10 over 13 isn't a bad idea at all

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Best for last

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There was a strategy guide for The Order 1886. It involved large pictures of QTE prompts.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've pretty much assumed at this point that strategy guides are high-mark-up sales opportunities for retailers to sell to gamers with more money than sense.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Augus posted:

This. My buddy was really getting into the series, started on 4DS, I hooked him up with 6 and he loved it, he played Crisis Core and 7 and wanted even more, and then he played 8 on PSN and he hated it so much that he wasn't even willing to skip it to go to 9.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just came here to vent about how much I absolutely hate Final Fantasy III DS. There is no reason why an RPG released 2006 should exist without save points. I mean drat. I get through the Crystal Tower, I beat Xande, and then Cloud of Darkness WRECKS me. Why? Cause I had no idea how to find the Dark Warriors, so I just followed the path in front of me. Turns out that leads straight to "You still can't win" Cloud of Darkness. No chance for me to turn around or otherwise abort. No way to save after beating Xande without having to teleport out and then re-climb the tower. gently caress right off.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Your mistake was deciding to keep playing after the first dungeon

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think their best design choice, was compensating the low enemy numbers by simply giving them a chance to wipe your party before you even get a turn. Great job SE. Stellar design :thumbsup:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think their best design choice, was compensating the low enemy numbers by simply giving them a chance to wipe your party before you even get a turn. Great job SE. Stellar design :thumbsup:

Wasn't FFIII DS mostly developed by Matrix Software rather than Square?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kanfy posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah. You're right. Sorry SE. Stellar job, Matrix Software.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I've never played a Fire Emblem game. Which should I start with? (If you like FFXIII please don't answer, thanks.)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Awakening's a decent place as ever to start. It's the most user-friendly Fire Emblem. The translated GBA games aren't bad either. Shadow Dragon on the DS isn't good, and the NES games are probably too archaic a place to start.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem game. Which should I start with? (If you like FFXIII please don't answer, thanks.)
Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the GBA are good starting places.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the GBA are good starting places.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah. You're right. Sorry SE. Stellar job, Matrix Software.

Don't forget they are also responsible for The After Years and the terrible graphics for the FF5 and FF6 ports.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

these are both honestly my favorite FE games, altho tbf the only other ones i played was the first gamecube one and Awakening

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Help Im Alive posted:

Your mistake was deciding to keep playing after the first dungeon

Totally fair point. I just really want to say I've beaten every Final Fantasy in the main series. The problem being of course that only the worst ones are left. I should've done a good one and then a bad one to draw things out longer. I'm fairly close though and to give up doesn't seem right. It'll be a long fuckin time before I pick up FF3 again though. gently caress right off Matrix Software.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Don't forget they are also responsible for The After Years and the terrible graphics for the FF5 and FF6 ports.

holy poo poo. they are bad devs

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

As well as Final Fantasy Dimensions.

...Matrix Software is not a good company.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I loved FFIX and I'm excited for it to be on PC, but I'm not sure I could handle the way too frequent, lengthy random encounters again. :I

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

Tanaka was still in charge, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I loved FFIX and I'm excited for it to be on PC, but I'm not sure I could handle the way too frequent, lengthy random encounters again. :I

Good thing you can disable them in this version and speed them up too.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

these are both honestly my favorite FE games, altho tbf the only other ones i played was the first gamecube one and Awakening

Why didn't you play the Wii one if you played the GC one? Quality-wise I'd rank them about the same, but you get some good story beats if you know the story of the first game.

He says, posting in the Final Fantasy thread.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Totally fair point. I just really want to say I've beaten every Final Fantasy in the main series. The problem being of course that only the worst ones are left. I should've done a good one and then a bad one to draw things out longer. I'm fairly close though and to give up doesn't seem right. It'll be a long fuckin time before I pick up FF3 again though. gently caress right off Matrix Software.

The NES game is fun, try that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Why didn't you play the Wii one if you played the GC one? Quality-wise I'd rank them about the same, but you get some good story beats if you know the story of the first game.

I didn't play my wii much and tbh i prefer handheld games for stuff like FE so i never really wanted to play that FE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Augus posted:

i mean im probably going to finish 7 first just as a function of playing it on the psp and being able to take it with me when i go places

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

This. My buddy was really getting into the series, started on 4DS, I hooked him up with 6 and he loved it, he played Crisis Core and 7 and wanted even more, and then he played 8 on PSN and he hated it so much that he wasn't even willing to skip it to go to 9.

i really want to play 8, eventually, but man the fifteen minutes i played of it when i bought it on psn do not inspire confidence

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Augus posted:

i like 13 way more then either 7 or 10 :-)

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Saoshyant posted:

Good thing you can disable them in this version and speed them up too.

Oh thank gently caress

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

i really want to play 8, eventually, but man the fifteen minutes i played of it when i bought it on psn do not inspire confidence

It's a weird trip, but I enjoyed myself once I had my head wrapped around Junctioning.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's a weird trip, but I enjoyed myself once I had my head wrapped around Junctioning.

I think there are certain games that are only really good if you're already familiar with a few tricks. You'll have a much smoother and more fun time with Alpha Protocol if you know how good stealth and pistols are, for example. I started liking Final Fantasy 8 as much as 7 and 9 on my second playthrough when I knew how to get enc-half right after the starting area and turn cards into junctioning magic. You can really fly through that game if you know how to break it a little, and it doesn't require much grinding (unless you don't like Triple Triad.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I am that guy who enjoyed both FF3DS and FF8.

On the other hand as someone who didn't play IV til I was in my late teens I never really fell in love with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have yet to see a completely terrible FF game. I think FFVIII is putrid poo poo but it had several good moments, an interesting if horribly executed battle system and a great soundtrack. The animations are also really awesome, which is something I came to appreciate more my last time through. My main problem with the game is most of the characters are terrible, story makes no sense and it's absurdly easy. Like, I'm the guy who bailed out of Lightning Returns a couple hours in because I could see I would probably suck at it but FFVIII is almost insulting in how breakable it is. I can't even imagine how they made this game and thought anyone would have fun. Sure we'll let you activiate your Limit Breaks any time you want! And how about infinite full party invincibility items?

But eh. To each their own. I have a good friend who swears by the game. I don't get it but if you have fun, more power to you. I'm the guy who thinks FFXIII-2 is the best XIII Trilogy game now so I'm hardly coming from a position of righteous popular authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I am that guy who enjoyed both FF3DS and FF8.

On the other hand as someone who didn't play IV til I was in my late teens I never really fell in love with it.

Same here. And honestly, I didn't really begin to like FFIV until I played the DS version. I think I beat IV when it came out on PSX in "Final Fantasy Chronicles," but it was a very boring experience for me. And I like FF3DS a ton. I personally feel that the increased difficulty due to the smaller amount of enemies on the screen evens out. And it definitely is a pain not having a save area in the final dungeon, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel it's a gamebreaker. I'm definitely in the minority though, so... v:v:v