Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I just got my mobius but haven't installed it yet. If you want I can do some test images like yours tomorrow so you can compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I have a Mobius and love the thing. See my post history in this thread for some example night footage; day quality is great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

melon cat posted:

So, I'm back to considering a Mobious Action cam. Like this one. Anyone want to chime in on their experience with this one?

As an alternative around the same price check out the A118C. I love mine. They're on sale right now at gearbest at a great price:
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Takes No Damage posted:

HAHA yeah....... The idea is that if you don't have a TollTag then it's "no big deal" as they will just mail you your toll fine with a little bit extra for admin fees. In your case they would have sent that back to the car rental place, which then had to turn around and track your info down and forward it on to you, the bureaucracy of which as you say took months, with late fees and admin fines piling up all the way. Maybe could have called NTAA and plead your case, but that's a pain in the rear end either way you go.

Also, if you get a toll for a rental car they will enroll you into some kind of "toll convenience program" where you pay $X per day up to some large maximum value, plus you have to pay the value of the tolls and the admin fees etc. etc.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Quick vid from my dashcam showing me almost crashing after losing traction on some black ice. Time/date is screwy, this was on Sunday the 3rd around 5pm after driving 14 hours or so. This was near Tigard, OR. Made it to Kalamas, WA before I had to get off the highway cuss of heavy snow/ice. Yes I'm listening to T swizzle, just be glad it didn't record me singing along like I was earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm6gwowadA

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nothing wrong with singing.

http://youtu.be/ss6Gk6dGHf4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Starkk posted:

Quick vid from my dashcam showing me almost crashing after losing traction on some black ice. Time/date is screwy, this was on Sunday the 3rd around 5pm after driving 14 hours or so. This was near Tigard, OR. Made it to Kalamas, WA before I had to get off the highway cuss of heavy snow/ice. Yes I'm listening to T swizzle, just be glad it didn't record me singing along like I was earlier.

Well you did a great job handling it, so good on you

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Starkk posted:

Nice job keeping it going where it should. Even my STi got a bit slippy on the black ice this morning. Lots of accidents also in the area during the morning commute so you did better than a lot of others. (Seattle area)

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

8ender posted:

As an alternative around the same price check out the A118C. I love mine. They're on sale right now at gearbest at a great price:
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html

Well, on your recommendation I ordered one. For 50 bucks it seems worth a shot. Gets decent reviews on Amazon.

Thanks for the link.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just following up on my purchase of the Mobius ActionCam that some of you suggested. I'm really liking it. Huge improvement over that terrible Amacam AM-M80 that I tried previously. Only thing left to do is figure out how to hardwire it to my car's electrical supply.

PROS:
  • The video quality's great (sample below
  • Nice small size
  • Lots of recording options

CONS:
  • It doesn't like being left in the cold. Whenever I leave it inside of the car while I'm at the office, it stops working (it won't record) and I have to eject then re-insert the micro SD card to get it working, again.
  • No realtime display screen. This is a minor hang-up, since the LED indicator tells you when it's recording.
  • The Mobius download/instructions site is a bit disorganized and cluttered. But it's simple to figure out, and their instructions are written in plain, easy to follow English.

EDIT: This camera stopped working 2 weeks afterwards. I don't recommend this one.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If the Mobius came with GPS, I'd already own several. I want something that size with in-built GPS... I keep eyeing the Mini0805, but the quality isn't there, and I don't really want the distraction of the screen.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

sharkytm posted:

If the Mobius came with GPS, I'd already own several. I want something that size with in-built GPS... I keep eyeing the Mini0805, but the quality isn't there, and I don't really want the distraction of the screen.

I have a mini 0803 and only issue I have is every now and then it locks up when turning the car on. I think if I put a capacitor in between it would help with the voltage sag of starting the car. It isn't very common though with hard wire kit. Also, you can turn the screen off on a 1, 3, and 5 minute interval I believe. I have mine set for 1 minute to shut the screen off and auto start with motion.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Christobevii3 posted:

I have a mini 0803 and only issue I have is every now and then it locks up when turning the car on. I think if I put a capacitor in between it would help with the voltage sag of starting the car. It isn't very common though with hard wire kit. Also, you can turn the screen off on a 1, 3, and 5 minute interval I believe. I have mine set for 1 minute to shut the screen off and auto start with motion.

Yeah, I've seen your sample videos. How clear are license plates in front? Both your videos have no cars in front of you.

Any pics of how you mounted it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I've seen your sample videos. How clear are license plates in front? Both your videos have no cars in front of you.

Any pics of how you mounted it?

FWIW I've had a Mini 0801 for over 2 years mounted constantly in Texas. I was expecting the heat to kill it, but it keeps trucking. Every once in awhile (once a month maybe?) it doesn't turn on but it's easy to look at the LED and see the status. If you mount it behind the rear view you can't even see the screen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Bovril Delight posted:

FWIW I've had a Mini 0801 for over 2 years mounted constantly in Texas. I was expecting the heat to kill it, but it keeps trucking. Every once in awhile (once a month maybe?) it doesn't turn on but it's easy to look at the LED and see the status. If you mount it behind the rear view you can't even see the screen.

How's the GPS? I've read that the coordinates are reversed. Can you overlay the GPS coordinates on-screen?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I just ran the cable through the A-pillar, into the roof liner, and down by my rear view mirror. I have it behind my rear view mirror so I don't really see it. When my gf gets back later I have some night video going to the airport I can throw up. We don't have front license plates here but you can get an idea.

Mounting is similar to this persons.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Christobevii3 posted:

I just ran the cable through the A-pillar, into the roof liner, and down by my rear view mirror. I have it behind my rear view mirror so I don't really see it. When my gf gets back later I have some night video going to the airport I can throw up. We don't have front license plates here but you can get an idea.

Mounting is similar to this persons.

Thanks, that's a much better photo than most. I think I can hide it behind the OnStar mirror on my truck. The mount houses the GPS receiver, right? I'm more concerned with people in front of me's plates, not oncoming.

\/\/ You can usually tap the power from the mirror, if you have a fancy-type mirror.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2016

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I just wish car manufacturers would start putting power outlets up near the headliner, for cameras, radar detectors, or whatever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 0803 gets good plates even at night. Although it seems that it has degraded a bit since I got it. Is that a thing?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I made a quick video for a friend that wanted to see my setup so here it is. More outlets are nice.

http://youtu.be/Pb9Vx7OouZM

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A follow-up on my Mobius Action Cam- it turns out that it doesn't like being left in a cold, idle vehicle. Whenever I leave it inside of the car while I'm at the office, it stops working (ie. it won't record) and I have to thaw it out, then eject then re-insert the micro SD card to get it working, again. Just a heads up, on that.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 14, 2016

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
After using my mobius for a few days I am seeing that at night it is not great at capturing plates and tail lights cause a ton of glare in the cam. Has anyone had luck fiddling with the settings to get it to behave better at night?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

melon cat posted:

A follow-up on my Mobius Action Cam- it turns out that it doesn't like being left in a cold, idle vehicle. Whenever I leave it inside of the car while I'm at the office, it stops working (ie. it won't record) and I have to thaw it out, then eject then re-insert the micro SD card to get it working, again. Just a heads up, on that.

Do you have a sandisk sd card? What temps?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Soarer posted:

After using my mobius for a few days I am seeing that at night it is not great at capturing plates and tail lights cause a ton of glare in the cam. Has anyone had luck fiddling with the settings to get it to behave better at night?

At night, bright lights have halos around them, but not large enough to obscure the plates.

Have you tried cleaning the windscreen glass and the camera lens?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Christobevii3 posted:

Do you have a sandisk sd card? What temps?
I do have a Sandisk SD card- how'd you guess that? :ohdear:

Most recent temperatures have been typical Canada climate in January: around -25 degrees celsius (-13 in Fahrenheight).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Love my a118c. GPS module for it is only 20bux, too.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I can't get a plate off my Mobius to save my life, they pretty much need to be in my lane, even during the day. Sadly the developer of the Android app to configure the Mobius revoked his app and deleted his developer account, I'd have gladly paid for it now that I finally have a phone that fully supports USB OTG.

Content:
This happened back on December 9th; I worry regularly about driving down memorial with its broken bits of curb sticking out like landmines, and then I saw it happen live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJ-jhGBJ5g

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Considering Memorial has freeway-width lanes and only 60mph traffic, it's really not that hard to stay off the curbs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
It is if you're brain dead and/or not watching the road

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that the last time I watched someone else blow a tire at 60MPH, they stomped on the brakes (and presumably sawed at the wheel) hard enough to do a 180 in their lane and grind against the center divider for a while, I'd say that went well.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Considering that the last time I watched someone else blow a tire at 60MPH, they stomped on the brakes (and presumably sawed at the wheel) hard enough to do a 180 in their lane and grind against the center divider for a while, I'd say that went well.

Let me guess, they promptly sued Ford and Firestone for their lovely driving.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

melon cat posted:

I do have a Sandisk SD card- how'd you guess that? :ohdear:

Most recent temperatures have been typical Canada climate in January: around -25 degrees celsius (-13 in Fahrenheight).

Sandisk has some goofy firmware that starts locking up the card when in dashcams. Go buy a different brand like transcend.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Christobevii3 posted:

Sandisk has some goofy firmware that starts locking up the card when in dashcams. Go buy a different brand like transcend.

Yeah, I've lost like 4 Sandisk cards recently to two completely different dashcams (and one to a Galaxy S5 phone), I don't know what it is but I'm avoiding Sandisk cards for now. I switched to Samsung cards for everything and haven't had any issues, I've also heard good things for Trancend cards. It's kind of a shame because they used to be the best brand for SD cards a few years ago.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you re-format them with a tool they start working again but makes them useless for dashcams

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Christobevii3 posted:

Very interesting. I just used a 16GB Sandisk since it's what I happened to have lying around. :shrug:

I just re-checked the Mobius instructions manual and they specifically recommend a "Class 4 Kingston" brand MicroSD. Really odd, since Kingston memory storage devices aren't exactly known for their reliability. But if Sandisk isn't the best brand- time to consider other options. Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 15, 2016

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

:stare:
:stare:
I think I maybe need a freeway sabbatical or something; I take surface streets a lot, but the last bit from Washington to the 610/290 interchange is just not barely worth doing off of the freeway.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Laserface posted:

My 0803 gets good plates even at night. Although it seems that it has degraded a bit since I got it. Is that a thing?

Not sure, maybe the lens is slowly being vibrated out of focus somehow.

My 0802 was always clear but it eventually started dying (pink streaks whenever something as bright as a headlight was seen), so I replaced it with an 0806 which has been nothing but poo poo+piss. Blurry focus out of the box and recently it has started dying, basically failing to record after a while and rebooting once a second every time I turn the car on until I turn it off and on several times with the power button, so don't ever get an 0806.

My blackvue dr650gw-2ch just arrived today and I'll install it tomorrow once I get another fuse tap from o'reillys tomorrow. It looks swanky as gently caress and I can't wait to loving shoot my mini0806 to bits with a machine gun. It will need some black tape over the "Full HD!" text written all over it though, why would you do that to a dashcam, it's supposed to be hidden and obscure, not advertising its presence.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Seeing this was certainly a first. I was half expecting to round the corner to a field of elk corpses.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Soarer posted:

Seeing this was certainly a first. I was half expecting to round the corner to a field of elk corpses.

Still time to try for the high score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My Smart Fortwo is so understated, I'm literally invisible to other cars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv1hj23nxdooenv/vlc-record-2016-01-18-22h50m18s-CrashNov1st.AVI-.avi?dl=0

Oh, and the guy's insurance company is saying I'm 50% at fault. I guess I'm supposed to sue the driver in small claims court now? That's what my insurance company is telling me to do.