Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Diego is still 100% ok with letting wekapipo die though. He didn't feel that one in the slightest

I thought he did feel slightly guilty, but not enough not to do it? In that sense, his glimmer of decency is what's holding him back, he's like 90% a bad guy but he can't go that extra mile and go gently caress Everyone All The Time and as a result he never becomes a fully-realised arc villain like DIO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Steel Ball Run is this social-darwinist trial by fire

I enjoyed this post, thank you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't Diego marry an older woman just so she could die and he could get her money

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best part about AU Diego is getting brutally owned by a fourteen year old girl who doesn't even have a stand.

Baal posted:

Didn't Diego marry an older woman just so she could die and he could get her money

Wouldn't you?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd marry diego

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

She was like 84 or something and the murder was stated as a rumour, I thought the whole point of gold digging was to let nature do the murder for you?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could never marry a man who has dinosaur powers and doesn't turn into a t rex

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

I could never marry a man who has dinosaur powers and doesn't turn into a t rex

Diego didn't have the conviction of purpose to turn into a T-Rex

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

She was like 84 or something and the murder was stated as a rumour, I thought the whole point of gold digging was to let nature do the murder for you?

It's still an incredibly lovely thing that brings your morals and humanity into question. I do remember them saying it was a rumor so it obviously has no real stake in his character, but it's still something that's meant to portray Diego as a person with hosed up morality when you first meet him.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Johnny Joestar was a dangerous terrorist who needed to be stopped at all costs. It was Valentine's purity that ruined the bluff that could have saved America.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd marry diego

:yeah:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Diego didn't have the conviction of purpose to turn into a T-Rex

The other post was a pretty great analysis of the themes of SBR and how the characters carry it and I'm glad of reading it, but this has to be the thread title.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

It's still an incredibly lovely thing that brings your morals and humanity into question. I do remember them saying it was a rumor so it obviously has no real stake in his character, but it's still something that's meant to portray Diego as a person with hosed up morality when you first meet him.

Yeah I'd agree, and as I said he's still a pretty bad guy. It shows he lacked that killer instinct though, if the rumour had been about a 40 year old heiress who'd died 'mysteriously' it'd carry an entirely different context to an old woman who could well have died of natural causes

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Diego is an everyday bad guy while DIO is a literal cartoon supervillain.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

DIO is a literal cartoon supervillain.

I still love that DIO's capital C Charisma is literally just brain-controlling parasites and an inexplicably huge cash flow. I guess there were the left-handed old lady, the guy who doesn't realise people don't usually get up from beheading and the priest who abandoned God literally the first chance he got to follow the devil, but everyone else couldn't give less of a poo poo about DIO.

At least with Valentine I could see why everyone up to and including the protagonist himself believed in his absolute and unwavering loyalty to America. DIO's party line of "keep humans as live stock" is a bit of a harder sell for me, really.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cartoon duck posted:

I still love that DIO's capital C Charisma is literally just brain-controlling parasites and an inexplicably huge cash flow. I guess there were the left-handed old lady, the guy who doesn't realise people don't usually get up from beheading and the priest who abandoned God literally the first chance he got to follow the devil, but everyone else couldn't give less of a poo poo about DIO.

At least with Valentine I could see why everyone up to and including the protagonist himself believed in his absolute and unwavering loyalty to America. DIO's party line of "keep humans as live stock" is a bit of a harder sell for me, really.

otoh I would like to hang out in bed with DIO

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

otoh I would like to hang out in bed with DIO

I haven't considered this and you make a strong case.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Dio hogs the covers he can go gently caress off to the couch

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It was de-eared, as momomo said

Huh, I didn't even remember that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Baal posted:

If Dio hogs the covers he can go gently caress off to the couch

Do you really believe DIO would do something that would cover his beautiful stolen body? He'd probably tuck you into bed and then lay seductively on top of the sheets.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

To be fair, N'Doul seemed to be genuinely loyal to DIO (because "even evil needs a savior").

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The ova guy does good art

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Diego is kind of a bad guy, but to be fair Johnny Joestar is also kind of a shithead so it balances out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want an opinion from the thread and this is not 100% a guaranteed thing that is going to happen, but if I were to maybe possibly LP JoJo games should I theoretically start in chronological order of game release or game based on series. The former has the benefit of allowing me to show off the changes in both game tech with JoJo games and the trading of the IP to different publishers and how that effects and the other pushes the story in order but forces me to play an insanely lovely game to start and I wouldn't want to maybe set the mood of a theoretical JoJo LP with the worst game first.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe possibly

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Are there even games for every part? I imagine doing it in series order is still going to be pretty disjointed not doing the story any favours so you might as well go with game release order.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I haven't played most of them so how much garbage would you theoretically put yourself through? It would be a shame to look at any part of Jojo with reflexive disgust

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There aren't games for every part but leaving ASB and possibly EoH for the last games gives me room to talk about those parts at length and an LP would also be for trying to draw general interest to the series. Mind you, the LP sub forum is a weird place to pull from, but it wouldn't be the first time I've tried to get attention for this series in unorthodox places.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I haven't played most of them so how much garbage would you theoretically put yourself through? It would be a shame to look at any part of Jojo with reflexive disgust

The Part 1 game is legitimately awful in about every conceivable way and not even in an interesting way. I legit wrote an essay in thread about how awful it is and how much worse it is than so many mediocre anime based games.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The two Capcom games should probably be LPd first. With Heritage for the Future first, since Golden Wind borrows elements from it while being completely different.

I'm not sure if the Phantom Blood game is worth playing at all. Maybe just have that as a singular update in another LP.

I completely forgot about the SNES game. I'm not sure if that one is particularly interesting either. It's got good music, and Jotaro beats DIO by equipping the time cap, but eh. This could go either way, I suppose.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you could do it by release order, but rather than an in-depth lp of the first game, maybe do something highly edited/condensed? or skip it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

The ova guy does good art

Which is weird because the 2nd ova and movie were both really really ugly, maybe his art just looks lovely in motion or something idk what happened. The first ova looked solid for the time but it wasnt really stylish like jojo is but the art wasn't bad or ugly like the other ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My plan for stuff like the SNES game was to do a two game LP side by side with the Capcom game originally, but I realized that would not only take like an insane amount of work to do effectively, I'm already going to be going in depth on character play styles and stuff in the Capcom fighter and don't need to add a whole JRPG to my workload. That being said I do want to put it in there, so I might just do a single video on it or come back to it later in the LP if I feel comfortable with doing so.

I do really want to LP the Part 1 game because it's worth mentioning and bringing up for a lot of reasons and doing a full play through of it. Especially because it's not a particularly long game, just bad and tedious. My plan is mostly to do really edited videos to make for more well-paced viewing instead of showing every little bit of the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It sounds like you want to put a lot of effort into doing a bunch of games even though you don't necessarily care about the bad ones

imo when it comes to bad games, unlless you're just doing some kind of endurance through it, showcasing the best parts (ie funniest parts) is a good way to go. if the game is just straight up boring with nothing interesting to show at all then dont bother imo. You seemed to really enjoy the stardust crusaders capcom game and vento aureo game, I'd say focus on one or the other, especially if you ended up just doing the story mode stuff from the ps1 stardust crusaders game

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Baal posted:

My plan for stuff like the SNES game was to do a two game LP side by side with the Capcom game originally, but I realized that would not only take like an insane amount of work to do effectively, I'm already going to be going in depth on character play styles and stuff in the Capcom fighter and don't need to add a whole JRPG to my workload. That being said I do want to put it in there, so I might just do a single video on it or come back to it later in the LP if I feel comfortable with doing so.

I know Waffleman_ said he was going to do a double-LP of 7SU with the SNES game, so maybe hit them up to collab?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think AU Diego actually works really well into the story. The main theme that drives the protagonists and antagonists in SBR is 'determination' and how far you're willing to go for your beliefs. The Steel Ball Run is this social-darwinist trial by fire which purges the weak and leaves those driven by some burning compulsion, with the prize being the power of god. Gyro from the start has a flaw in his resolution as he's primarily driven by being a nice guy, having entered to save a little boy's life and all. He tries being an edgy anti-hero through the True Man's World, and it sticks for a while, but he ultimately reverts to his true nature as a more moderate and fundamentally decent person than the others around his. This lack of conviction in an incredibly high-stakes winner takes all situation is finally symbolised by the flaw in his ball preventing him from delivering the fatal blow to Valentine in their duel.

Johnny, having staked his entire existence and self-worth as a human being on claiming the Corpse Parts, ends up having that extra edge in him which eventually allows him to surpass Gyro. It's made clear this isn't neccessarily a good thing though, with his 'Dark Determination' and willingness to cross moral boundaries and do hosed up poo poo. He still has a spark of humanity in his actions though, such as after the gunfight with Tatoo You where he willingly give up the Corpse Parts for Gyro's life, this is what allows him to be the better man in his showdown with Valentine and shows the potential for him to become a better person.

So finally getting round to AU Diego, his appearance at the very end of the story functions as Johnny's Dark Determination taken to their complete conclusion; he's utterly unfettered in his actions and driven by nothing but an overwhelming desire to conquer and dominate, he has such commitment to his actions regardless of cost he unflichingly severs his own leg to achive a decisive victory over Johnny without a moment's hesistation. Despite Diego defeating his nemesis and uncontestably being the strongest fighter in the story, Johnny's actions have given him allies who come to his rescue whereas as Diego's brutal, psychopathic climb to the top have left him utterly alone and he's destroyed by a literal vision of his own fraility and mortality in an empty room. Diego firmly restablishes Johnny's humanity whilst cermenting the story's themes of power as a poison chalice and the internal conflict between compassion and selfishness.
This is a good post and I agree with it 100%. The AU Diego fight is great thematically and conceptually, just it coming off of Valentine left me real exasperated the first time. While it ties in with the ending in a way you can't really move it, I'm conflicted it on in weird ways that may just be me.

Steel Ball Run is probably Araki's best writing on a large scale and great characterization. Johnny and Gyro are super good characters with Johnny probably being one of the most nuanced JoJo's. It's just all so good and I hope JoJolion is even half as good. Right now I have no idea what I think about JoJolion cause What The gently caress.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PeaceDiner posted:

I know Waffleman_ said he was going to do a double-LP of 7SU with the SNES game, so maybe hit them up to collab?

I actually completely forgot Waffleman was planning to do that

Waffleman if you are reading this talk to me, baby

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I really want to beat the second Polnareff fight in 7th Stand User but I think I have just not leveled Jotaro up enough :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

setafd posted:

I really want to beat the second Polnareff fight in 7th Stand User but I think I have just not leveled Jotaro up enough :(

Regular Polnareff or Anubis?