Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

That can only be used on the operative, I think, no casting it on other troopers.

Yeah, it's a passive. Think "Secondary Heart" only psionic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

That can only be used on the operative, I think, no casting it on other troopers.

Yeah, but you have Stasis Shield for the other situation of slapping on your ranger when they gently caress up a run & gun or swording

space wizards get to do a lot of great things

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i really want to play this game guys

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

UberJew posted:

i really want to play this game guys

27 days and counting.....unless they delay it again.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

LightWarden posted:

During Beagle's stream yesterday he talked about how he'd put Run and Gun on his shooty scouting rangers and Conceal on his melee rangers, since melee rangers already have a good dashing murder option in their sword, and Conceal would thus provide a way for them to bail out of dangerous situations or serve as scouts after concealment is blown. Meanwhile, Run and Gun is as good as it always was for allowing a shooter to close the distance or get into a flank.

Personally, I remain unconvinced of Shadowstrike's value so far because it's pretty conditional- you're only going to use it once or twice per mission, and an aim/crit bonus seems a little underwhelming considering how many excellent plays the old Lightning Reflexes provided. Even though this doesn't allow you to use up enemy overwatches like you could in EU/EW, there's still a lot you can do like breaking overwatches by moving into a flank and then damaging the overwatching enemy.

The ranger at 3:50 in the video seemed to still be in concealment after killing that guy so who knows

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You know having watched Beagle play the game a bunch the bugs start to really stick out, and some of the weaknesses in the engine are apparent. There's a lot of patrols getting split up (two guys on the street, one guy in a building) and a lot of pauses where the game seems to hang for a while when you reveal pods and blow stuff up, especially if you drop an enemy down a story or two. This eventually gets resolved after a while and is probably a coded in reset of some sort to get around that issue, but it shows that there's a bunch of hangups in the game that break flow.

Everything in the game is rigged around base .ini values so all soldiers are essentially the same with maybe some random stat variation. Everything, and I mean everything, is handled through items. The psi wand is essentially implemented as a pistol in order to let you mod it, and this distinguishes the psi trooper from other classes. But it's also a weakness since it means modding your soldiers stats and abilities will come down mostly to items that give stat increases. It still looks like a strong game but I can see why they delayed it for so long.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything in the game is rigged around base .ini values so all soldiers are essentially the same with maybe some random stat variation. Everything, and I mean everything, is handled through items. The psi wand is essentially implemented as a pistol in order to let you mod it, and this distinguishes the psi trooper from other classes. But it's also a weakness since it means modding your soldiers stats and abilities will come down mostly to items that give stat increases. It still looks like a strong game but I can see why they delayed it for so long.

Isn't this almost exactly how EU/EW works?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
First mod should add some horribly disfigured ex-MEC pilot from Xcom 1, with rusty mechanical limbs, who only rejoins the organization he hates, because of his "duty to Earth."

See ? Make that into a movie....

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
This is also a press build. Gold won't be out probably a week until release since day 1 patches are the norm now.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
firaxis needs to hire someone with a soul to put the finishing touches on whatever their latest sterile autist boardgame is

if they could manage that they might have some of the best games ever made under their belt instead of something that comes close and then fails in embarrassing ways every time

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Unlucky posted:

firaxis needs to hire someone with a soul to put the finishing touches on whatever their latest sterile autist boardgame is

if they could manage that they might have some of the best games ever made under their belt instead of something that comes close and then fails in embarrassing ways every time

how does xcom not have a soul.

are you confused. the civ and beyond earth threads are over that way->

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Lol, dude posted basically the same exact dumb bullshit a few months/weeks back, didn't he? And got basically the same exact response.
I'd almost say he's a dumb gimmick poster, but that'd be such a lovely and boring gimmick. :v:

Especially considering some of these "soulless autist"'s streams we've seen so far. Good ol' 'Sweetpea' Rumblebottom.

SomeIdiot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 9, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I just hope that doesn't incur any will penalties for being super-wounded. Though it looks like in this game, will wounds can be healed.

Apparently, will penalties are back, but with a pretty neat twist.

If someone takes will penalties, and then has a couple good missions getting payback, he gets all the lost will back, and some bonus will for his trouble.

Basically, the troopers who take some licks and get back in the action will, eventually, be the best you have. Kind of neat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Mr. Unlucky posted:

dont sign your posts lol

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Nah, they really upped their game with XCom 2, giving characters a bit of back-story and all, plus a ton of customization.

The class primus in that genre will forever be Jagged Alliance 2, because of the far more extensive character stories, their perks, the excellent voices, their own likes and dislikes and the reactions to other characters. But XCom 2 is on the right track, by adding more depth and traits.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kinda surprised after XCOM did so well we haven't seen more Jagged Alliance revivals tbh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Nah, they really upped their game with XCom 2, giving characters a bit of back-story and all, plus a ton of customization.

The class primus in that genre will forever be Jagged Alliance 2, because of the far more extensive character stories, their perks, the excellent voices, their own likes and dislikes and the reactions to other characters. But XCom 2 is on the right track, by adding more depth and traits.

UFO: Afterlight actually played around with the JA2 approach to characters. You had a limited pool of characters, each with their own backstories and many were hybrid classes (soldier/engineer, soldier/scientist) who would gain bonus xp in their off-class if they went on a relevant mission. You started off with a smaller roster but I remember if the big dude died his teenage daughter would replace him. There was also a few other replacements but it was kind of a double edged feature since you could easily go into a failure state in the late game if you lost too many guys. On the other hand the game wasn't that difficult so I didn't lose more than 3 guys over my entire campaign which means the feature was mostly wasted on me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HenryEx posted:

Man, I got Gangplank towards the end of May (3rd month) i think, and i only had Lasers and only the rifles, and even that only because i rushed towards them early. Had not even begun research on armor yet, didn't even research MELD recombination yet. I did have early tactical rigging for nanofiber+scope for everyone, though, probably the thing that helped me live through it.
And no, i hadn't done any autopsies or stuff like that.

Are you playing on Marathon or something? Getting the necessary tech for carapace + lasers + meld recombination is a total of 380 science points, which would take 76 days with your starting 5 scientists but there's absolutely no way you're stuck on your starting 5 scientists unless you're actively bypassing every scientist reward and not launching any satellites. Simply adding 5 scientists drops you down to 38 days for all of that stuff.

Are you stopping off along the way to get the arc thrower? That might be what's slowing you down.

Kai Tave posted:

Kinda surprised after XCOM did so well we haven't seen more Jagged Alliance revivals tbh.

There were a couple attempts and then somebody used the franchise for a terrible F2P MMO so that's that. Doing what Firaxis did with XCOM and reviving a beloved old franchise in a genre that is considered extremely niche and outmoded in a modern market and somehow managing to be so successful at it that you capture the hearts of both new players and crusty old veterans at the same time is a piece of wizardry that very few companies can emulate.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

You started off with a smaller roster but I remember if the big dude died his teenage daughter would replace him.

He'd actually retire after a set number of missions as well and his daughter would still take his place, it was a neat little touch. Shame about the game, lots of good ideas

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Kanos posted:

There were a couple attempts and then somebody used the franchise for a terrible F2P MMO so that's that. Doing what Firaxis did with XCOM and reviving a beloved old franchise in a genre that is considered extremely niche and outmoded in a modern market and somehow managing to be so successful at it that you capture the hearts of both new players and crusty old veterans at the same time is a piece of wizardry that very few companies can emulate.

More than that undeniable skill, the sheer luck of the IP winding up in their hands (after how much it was passed around after Microprose went down) is pretty much what makes XCOM's return nothing short of an act of divine intervention for me.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

We did, it was a Kickstart project that got funded that wasn't anything like Jagged Alliance and as soon as the game hit early alpha the devs decided to quit and released the game before it was finished. It sucked.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
That dude's post history is hilarious. The first 50% is him posting like a normal person and then at some point he has a complete mental break and starts losing his mind over xcom 2 lol

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

CrazyLoon posted:

More than that undeniable skill, the sheer luck of the IP winding up in their hands (after how much it was passed around after Microprose went down) is pretty much what makes XCOM's return nothing short of an act of divine intervention for me.

Is there an article on this somewhere? I've heard bits and pieces, but I'd love to know the whole story.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah sorry, I knee about the Kickstarter and should have clarified that I meant something that didn't suck. Not even something named Jagged Alliance, just another/more TBS games with that sort of level of customization plus a roster of unique characters.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Back Hack posted:

We did, it was a Kickstart project that got funded that wasn't anything like Jagged Alliance and as soon as the game hit early alpha the devs decided to quit and released the game before it was finished. It sucked.

So, uh, JA2 is still the go-to then I suppose?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

So, uh, JA2 is still the go-to then I suppose?

With the 1.13 mod JA2 is still a fantastic game. Certain limits of the now ancient engine can ofc not be overcome, like the enigmatic cover system, but other aspects are simply timeless, like the stroke of genius to switch from turn-based to real-time when outside combat.

As posted before, the problem with the various attempts at a remake, is simply that none of the companies which picked up the franchise had a basic understanding of what made the original great. And most of the time these titles looked like cheap cash-grab attempts by using a beloved brand name.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 10, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Are you playing on Marathon or something? Getting the necessary tech for carapace + lasers + meld recombination is a total of 380 science points, which would take 76 days with your starting 5 scientists but there's absolutely no way you're stuck on your starting 5 scientists unless you're actively bypassing every scientist reward and not launching any satellites. Simply adding 5 scientists drops you down to 38 days for all of that stuff.

Are you stopping off along the way to get the arc thrower? That might be what's slowing you down.

I did get the Arc Thrower (and then forgot to bring one on the next UFO mission) and am not on Marathon, but i'm not playing on Normal either. For reference, even with 20 scientists it takes me almost a month just to research this Light Plasma Rifle i've looted.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dominic White posted:

The stuff you loot from bodies is useful bonus stuff like weapon mods or currency, but nothing essential, it looks like?

useful and essential are the same thing in xcom

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HenryEx posted:

I did get the Arc Thrower (and then forgot to bring one on the next UFO mission) and am not on Marathon, but i'm not playing on Normal either. For reference, even with 20 scientists it takes me almost a month just to research this Light Plasma Rifle i've looted.

I play on classic, not on normal. Light Plasma Rifles cost almost as many research points as lasers/prereqs + carapace/prereqs combined, so it's not surprising that it takes that long to research.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Normal Adult Human posted:

useful and essential are the same thing in xcom

Actually, they aren't.
Flashbangs and Mimic Beacons are useful.
Alien Grenades and Titan Armor are essential.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2016

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
After watching Beagle's second stream, I've come to the conclusion this game is still ridiculously fun, but it desperately needs a balance mod as it's even easier than XCOM: EU. And the concealment system needs a revision as it's not doing what it's intended to do. He was absolutely right in upping the difficulty.

fspades fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 10, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

fspades posted:

After watching Beagle's second stream, I've come to the conclusion this game is still ridiculously fun, but it desperately needs a balance mod as it's even easier than XCOM: EU. And the concealment system needs a revision as it's not doing what it's intended to do. He was absolutely right in upping the difficulty.

Good news for babies such as myself, you'll have a to hold out hope that modding will be as easy and accessible as they claim though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

fspades posted:

Yeah Beagle basically looked at the game and thought to himself "how can I do overwatch ambushes, but better" and broke it over his loving knee. Beagle also said that it's balanced around taking wounds and your soldiers having downtime, so when he's always acing missions he snowballs like crazy since the game assumes he doesn't have loving captains and mag guns for the blacksite misison and this is him playing on Legendary. Hell Legendary looks doable for me and I'm not very good at the tactical game.

Firaxis did this with the Rising Tides expansion for Beyond Earth as well. That expansion gave the game the soul it was sorely missing and it has so much flavor and actual character now, but it's also an unbalanced mess and you feel like you can eliminate an AI player by sneezing in their general direction with a hybrid unit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fspades posted:

On the other hand, it's Beagle. Every other report I've seen says it's comparably difficult, maybe even a little rougher. These streams are coming from someone with countless hours in XCOM on the highest difficulty, then countless more hours on a mod designed to kick veterans right in the balls, and a whole campaign's worth of play in XCOM 2. Probably a fair guess it's going to look easy with him at the helm, even if it isn't.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This just in, one of the most famous and skilled XCOM players of all time makes the game look easy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Also he's still playing with halved build times in the interest of getting to show off stuff before the 3 months end, so he gets to the good toys much quicker.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

On the other hand, it's Beagle. Every other report I've seen says it's comparably difficult, maybe even a little rougher.

I wouldn't trust those reports. From watching them play, it's now apparent video game journalists are just terrible at games like this. I haven't seen Beagle doing sophisticated stuff in vanilla either.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's safe to assume that the game is balanced around people using dash moves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

fspades posted:

I wouldn't trust those reports. From watching them play, it's now apparent video game journalists are just terrible at games like this. I haven't seen Beagle doing sophisticated stuff in vanilla either.

Halved build and research times are huge though.

Like, those are enormous boons to the player and probably more than outweigh upping enemy health/+1 pod size. He wouldn't have advanced weapons, or the buildings as early, or be able to snowball anywhere near as effectively because his damage output would be way lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zore posted:

Halved build and research times are huge though.

Like, those are enormous boons to the player and probably more than outweigh upping enemy health/+1 pod size. He wouldn't have advanced weapons, or the buildings as early, or be able to snowball anywhere near as effectively because his damage output would be way lower.

Yeah but he halved those values because legendary doubles them. Plus he didn't reduce research times, just building excavation and construction. He literally just had the proving ground and gym.

Edit: But yeah. Beagle is the guy who beat Long War on ironman impossible while the devs would say publicly they designed it to be impossible and were actively patching his strategies out.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread