Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of the Cataphract, I ended up buying the CTF-4X (the one with four ballistic mounts) because I like dakka and have no impulse control. Any decent builds around for that? My first instinct was stuffing four AC/2s in there which, while potentially hilarious, doesn't seem to be particularly effective.

You want dakka, here you go

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=40&l=adf2c14f372f5be9e4f6384eb0e3af6e9cb6d6ae

left torso is your shield, add a uac cooldown module for EXTREME dakka madness

Banano fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

No problems whatsoever. In fact we should jump around the clans a bit until we find a good home (back around a year ago FLJK made friends with some chill dudes in Wolf and we dropped with them a lot). Given we're always going to be the group filling out the gaps in other people's teams I'd say we're best off finding out where the least spergy not-idiots are and making friendly with them.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I last played this thing in beta (before whatever the wipe was when they launched) and I thought I'd suck, but apparently other people are really bad too? So i might play some more. In-game name is ModusOperandi. Can I get an invite to one of the goon groups?

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Can I get an invite? NinjaMcKickass in game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Banano posted:

You want dakka, here you go

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=40&l=adf2c14f372f5be9e4f6384eb0e3af6e9cb6d6ae

left torso is your shield, add a uac cooldown module for EXTREME dakka madness

Ah, I'd somehow forgotten about the UAC/5, that could be pretty fun. Cheers.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Last-minute-ish reminder that the goon inhouse stuff starts in ~45 minutes, in case anyone missed out or sucks at doing timezone stuff.

Make sure you bring a trash can. :getin:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Banano posted:

Thanks, I thought I'd forgotten.

I haven't mounted a single ppc since the dark times

2ppc 1gauss 4 eva

milenko 17
Jan 9, 2016
Ok game reinstalled need ivite to the tings plz in game name Milenko 17

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

2ppc 1gauss 4 eva

I think you mean 2 ppc 2 gauss xl 350 king crab?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baudin posted:

:psyduck:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Axetrain posted:

How worthwhile is it to get 3 mech variants for the elite skills? The Stormcrow and Timberwolves are on sale right now so I thinking of grabbing another one so I can work on getting the next skill set.

They are the best mechs in the game so you should get 3 of each, everyone should really.

Alchenar posted:

No problems whatsoever. In fact we should jump around the clans a bit until we find a good home (back around a year ago FLJK made friends with some chill dudes in Wolf and we dropped with them a lot). Given we're always going to be the group filling out the gaps in other people's teams I'd say we're best off finding out where the least spergy not-idiots are and making friendly with them.

Yeah find a clan with a good public server, because there are a shitload of jade falcon pubbies playing today yet the jade falcon TS is totally dead.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 9, 2016

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Who do I need to friend invite to get an invite into GIRL?

In game as Clericshiv, in mumble now as well.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
I have mech ADD, and I usually can't play a single mech for extended periods of time and so I'm always wasting way too much time on smurfy.
I was going through various quirks and hardpoints just messing around to look for the next mech I want to play.

I think this might be hugely undervalued but potentially very strong mech:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=94&l=a395d5acf6725eef80b7a9ef2401c71f7474f966

Kintaro KTO-20: 25% Energy Range, -15% Laser Burn Time, and additional structure on all components.
438 Range with a .55s burn for LPLs. You can run very fast (95.7/102.9 ST) to help protect the buttholes of Fatlases from lights and 3 LPLs is no joke when it comes to dishing out some pain.
Stick on the 2 LPL modules and it shoots faster and even further out.

The BJ-Arrow can do the same fitting with better quirks and is 10 tons lighter with JJ capacity but KTO-20 is faster and 2 of the lasers are mounted to the arms so there's potential to have a bigger range of motion for damage application.
I'd argue Arrows are probably way too OP right now and probably will get nerfed but I don't see the KTO-20 getting nerfed without some other mechs getting the nerf bat first.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Of course I manage to accidentally sleep through the in-house shenanigans.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Apparently I had a bunch of space money left over from before, so I fitted out a direwolf.

Now I realize I literally only have assaults. What are some good mechs to pick up? I got enough brawlers and hate sniping.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Baudin posted:

hey don't give the newbirds any ideas :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Drythe posted:

Apparently I had a bunch of space money left over from before, so I fitted out a direwolf.

Now I realize I literally only have assaults. What are some good mechs to pick up? I got enough brawlers and hate sniping.

Firestarters or Arctic Cheetahs. Stormcrow is also a really solid robot.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Devorum posted:

Of course I manage to accidentally sleep through the in-house shenanigans.

I thought this started in like half an hour

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Blackdog420 posted:

hey don't give the newbirds any ideas :colbert:

It's the most fun I've ever had in this game, when it works.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I somehow got 20 pages behind on this thread. Did PGI do something hilarious or is it all actual discussions about robots? Or goon drama?

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I would very much appreciate an invite to WoL if anyone with invite rights reads this. In-game name is Oz1571.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I somehow got 20 pages behind on this thread. Did PGI do something hilarious or is it all actual discussions about robots? Or goon drama?

Game is really fun, lots of robot talk, tons of new birds (like myself).

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

1) Would like a WoL invite, name is Montecore.

2) What's the trick with both the Gauss rifles and the LRMs? They don't handle at all like I remember from the MW4 days.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

abuse culture. posted:

by the way, the battlemaster 1s with 4LPL and a huge XL engine is still secretly the best IS mech in the entire game and nobody realizes it

metamechs barely put it on one of their tier lists today :ssh:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
actually no, 2 LPL and MLs on the BLR1G, look at the quirks. i have been pwning the pub queue for 2 years with this thing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How the hell are people fitting 3 AC5s on a MAD-3R? Just not bothering with taking any lasers? Best I can manage is this, but you have no ammo or heatsinks to speak of: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=345&l=1123f41cc6065b6ce0cfd03d6845c55f8d843439

2 medium lasers in the arms, 9 tons of ammo (at least) and downgrade your engine to a STD 280.

You need that tonnage for ammo more than you need 4kph.

Remember it's an artillery piece not a brawler. You can outlast almost anyone in a "shoot you in the face" competition because of your range and constant firepower.

Just watch out for heavier mechs with the same gimmick like crabs and banshees.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 10, 2016

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

FARTSTAR posted:

metamechs barely put it on one of their tier lists today :ssh:

the metamechs one has a standard and goes 60 and is less hear efficient. No thanks

Banano posted:

actually no, 2 LPL and MLs on the BLR1G, look at the quirks. i have been pwning the pub queue for 2 years with this thing

the 1g with 3lpl 3ml is also very good

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Based on the 4 LPL battle master discussion, I tried the same thing on my black knight and holy poo poo does it own. 7 kills and 900 damage first go around. It was especially disgusting against light mechs since the lasers are in the arms.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Kudos to whoever suggested the Royal Rumble format where we jump down into the pit when someone on the other team dies. That was my favorite part of the evening.

Also the Cheetah+Hunchback pubbie drop.

Good times.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
If you activate the free week of premium time, does it also activate a month's worth of banked premium time?

https://mwomercs.com/rewards

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
no

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I got a steam giftcard and looked at the prices for the MWO poo poo and then just laughed and bought some games instead. sixty bucks for a king crab, what the hell. Thirty for a cheetah and a raven.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
yes, don't give pgi money

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Banano posted:

yes, don't give pgi money

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Kudos to whoever suggested the Royal Rumble format where we jump down into the pit when someone on the other team dies. That was my favorite part of the evening.

That was me, and I missed it!

Hopefully we can set another one up, soon.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ok I am digging it. Multi-range guns bad. Shorting torso armor bad. I like my 3LL Centurion very much, and I am stacking cash with my week of premium time. I am on the verge of getting a Raven fitted from the first post because scouting looks like fun.

Here's my next dumb question: I looked, and there appears to be no way to save a fitting for a mech, so for instance if I wanted to refit my CN9-AL to carry missiles and MPLs at the touch of a button? Is that not a thing?

Also I would like an invite to WOL if possible, in-game name is Numero Horrendus

Edit: Vvv Yeah thank you, I have tried to catch up on the multitude of little things in this game: Lowered my mouse sensitivity, tweaked my graphics, spent my chassis XP, there's a lot to remember. I'll try to learn hitboxes. It's almost worse that I remember the maps when they were old and lovely. The OP of this thread is good but :redass: :negative:

Tujague fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 10, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tujague posted:

Ok I am digging it. Multi-range guns bad. Shorting torso armor bad. I like my 3LL Centurion very much, and I am stacking cash with my week of premium time. I am on the verge of getting a Raven fitted from the first post because scouting looks like fun.

Here's my next dumb question: I looked, and there appears to be no way to save a fitting for a mech, so for instance if I wanted to refit my CN9-AL to carry missiles and MPLs at the touch of a button? Is that not a thing?

Also I would like an invite to WOL if possible, in-game name is Numero Horrendus

speaking of shooting torso armor, here is a good guide on Where To Shoot Robbits

http://raksarmory.blogspot.com/p/mechwarrior-online-mech-weakspots-guide.html

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Sighence posted:

2) What's the trick with both the Gauss rifles and the LRMs? They don't handle at all like I remember from the MW4 days.
So, first off they're both bad. Don't use them.

That said, the gauss rifle has a charge up mechanic. You hold the button down for a second or so to charge it up and then release it to shoot. It's really annoying, and kind of cripples its use as a sniping weapon. Plus when they get crit they explode and do a shitload of damage to you.

I don't remember how LRMs worked in MW4, but you need to press R to select an enemy and then hold the cursor over them for a lock. This may sometimes be prevented by them being out of radar range or being in an ECM bubble. So if you're going to LRM, it pays to bring your own TAG to mark targets (which works through ECM).

But still don't bring LRMs unless you're making GBS threads around. The name of the game is pinpoint damage to take your enemy out with as little effort as possible (so generally legging light mechs and coring out the CTs of assaults). LRMs just kind of spray enemies indiscriminately. And that's only when you get a clean lock and hold it the whole time the missiles are in the air. If you lose your lock at any point, your missiles will land wherever you lost the lock.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Just watched a pubbie shoot their gauss rifles into the side of a hill on frozen city for about 3 minutes straight. The pubbies in this game are a unique type of special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bait and Swatch posted:

Just watched a pubbie shoot their gauss rifles into the side of a hill on frozen city for about 3 minutes straight. The pubbies in this game are a unique type of special.

Was it one of those builds where they take a heavy or medium, give it just a single gauss rifle and spend the rest of their tonnage on ammo?

• Locked thread