Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's election time in Manitoba!

The Liberal candidate in my riding and leader of the provincial party was super nice and also had the most wonderful deer in the headlights look when I told her I was primarily going to base my vote on who vows to privatize the least amount of public assets and that I was fully aware that P3s are a garbage idea that only serve to enrich the wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

https://opseu.org/news/union-province-reach-deal-corrections-talks

Looks like the millions spent on strike prep was wasted money. I hope they leave the trailers at the jails though, that space would make a big difference to volunteer organizations who could use the space.

Or the prisoners.

Ikantski posted:

“Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS) is not a government agency, nor is it funded by the government,” said party spokesperson Patricia Favre.

We're not funded by the government, we're funded by the mandatory fee the government forces taxpayers to give us. Bev Oda says hi.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's funny that when standard private business practices become public people get outraged.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

Fortunately there are about... six? of us who are adult and experienced enough to be kicking and screaming against that outcome.

It probably won't help as much as I'd like, but it's so rare to get a chance to work in government policy "greenfield" like this...

I see what you did there :)

It will be very interesting to see what happens to a policy that came out of the desire to be rid of a rule against something, as opposed to the desire to have something.

If this had sprung up from a critical mass of people who actively wanted weed to be legal, then they would have done at least some of the legwork towards coming up with practical solutions to the kinds of problems we're going to face, and there'd be a coherent advocacy group with some legislative street cred. Instead, it seems to me like this movement kinda sprung organically out of the justice system's desire to be rid of it and the public's willingness to push the limits of that laxity. Does that mean the lack of arrests and prosecution attempts mean their victory condition is largely satisfied, so they have no motivation to get off the couch and work on formalizing something that goes beyond the status quo?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

I see what you did there :)

It will be very interesting to see what happens to a policy that came out of the desire to be rid of a rule against something, as opposed to the desire to have something.

If this had sprung up from a critical mass of people who actively wanted weed to be legal, then they would have done at least some of the legwork towards coming up with practical solutions to the kinds of problems we're going to face, and there'd be a coherent advocacy group with some legislative street cred. Instead, it seems to me like this movement kinda sprung organically out of the justice system's desire to be rid of it and the public's willingness to push the limits of that laxity. Does that mean the lack of arrests and prosecution attempts mean their victory condition is largely satisfied, so they have no motivation to get off the couch and work on formalizing something that goes beyond the status quo?

I would hope not as that creates a very nebulous hole in the laws and their enforcement. The last thing we or law enforcement need is the ability to determine which laws to enforce at any given time. It opens up exploitation form both sides and that scares me more.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cow's run off, Paw! We oughta shut that there door!

e: That's exactly what's just happened and it's for the best. Police and prosecutorial discretion are a very important safety valve where the laws impose what would otherwise be totally unreasonable demands on the justice system.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 9, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I heard that some Syrian refugees got pweppersprayed in Vancouver but can't find the story. Anyone got a link?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I heard that some Syrian refugees got pweppersprayed in Vancouver but can't find the story. Anyone got a link?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-pepper-sprayed-outside-vancouver-welcome-event-1.3396899

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
^ Was just going to post that, gently caress Vancouver

EvilJoven posted:

It's election time in Manitoba!

The Liberal candidate in my riding and leader of the provincial party was super nice and also had the most wonderful deer in the headlights look when I told her I was primarily going to base my vote on who vows to privatize the least amount of public assets and that I was fully aware that P3s are a garbage idea that only serve to enrich the wealthy.

This is probably the first election ever where I don't like anyone

Pallister is a wingnut
Rana Bokhari has good ideas, but wants to sell off everything and has no base for actual implementation
Greg Selinger is Greg Selinger

:suicide:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it wasn't the rcmp doing the spraying

hockeydog posted:

So it is true-bringing in these refugees will result in terrorism....

Rare exceptions to the rule still don't mean you should read the comments, but :laffo:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 9, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Proof that Vancouverites are the worst, IMO. Cultural Imperial was right after all!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

We're not funded by the government, we're funded by the mandatory fee the government forces taxpayers to give us. Bev Oda says hi.

That's what got me about it. They could add an "Eternal Governance Tax" to every purchase that goes straight to the Liberal party who are not a government agency or funded by the government and make the same argument.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait to see what people do to refugees once they start having their helocs called.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

loving cyclists, ban bike lanes and stop these hate crimes.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PT6A posted:

Proof that Vancouverites are the worst, IMO. Cultural Imperial was right after all!

Don't be smug. Part of the problem is that we're loading up on rear end in a top hat economic migrants fleeing west.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Don't be smug. Part of the problem is that we're loading up on rear end in a top hat economic migrants fleeing west.

I've lived here my entire life and Vancouverites really loving suck

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

Run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, hey that's life and sometimes it ain't peaches. Start running into assholes all day and chances are...

Lived here all my life, people are the same as anywhere.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jfood posted:

Lived here all my life, people are the same as anywhere.

No, as I've discovered travelling, people are quite a bit better in other places.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You were gonna leave, no one felt the need to make a fuss

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Fact: I was actually really happy living in Seattle. People were polite, helpful, and easy to talk to. Consider that most americans consider seattlites cold and distant.

gently caress Vancouver. nuke this city to glass

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pepper-spray-attack-1.3396899

quote:

"This isn't who we are," Trudeau said in a tweet. Robertson, also on Twitter, described the incident as a "disgusting display of hate."

actually it is

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Nicknames for Justin Trudeau I have seen in CBC comments since his election:

Trudump
Trudope
Turdeau
Justine
Justin Hair-do
Pot Minister Trudeau
Jihadi Justin
Sunni Ways

Right-wingers are giant children.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think people coming up with dumb, childish names for politicians they don't like is restricted to one particular side of the ideological spectrum.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

I don't think people coming up with dumb, childish names for politicians they don't like is restricted to one particular side of the ideological spectrum.

Harper was really only known as Harper, PMSH, and Satan.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My sister laughs every time she calls Harper "He who shall not be named". We don't talk politics much.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there are always assholes on all sides, it's true, but right-wingers, in my experience, are far more likely to have derisive nicknames for their political opponents than left-wingers. For example:

Furnaceface posted:

I saw Harpercrite a few times, but that's the only one that stood out to me. And I wouldn't see it in every big collection of comments. It was not as encompassing as what I was referring to.

Maybe Hitler, but every politician gets called Hitler at least once in their career. If they don't, they're boring.

But, living in Ontario, under a Liberal government for example, Dalton McGuinty has been called McGuilty on a regular basis, as well as every other negative word you can think of, preceded by Mc, because that's just the perfect name for that kind of tomfoolery: McLiar, McUseless, McWindbag, McDouchebag, you name it.

The stuff for Trudeau is in practically every comments section.

I'm just sour today. I don't even particularly care about Trudeau that much. Is it too much to ask, though, that you use the proper name of the person you're criticizing? Disagree with him all you want, but Jesus, act like an adult.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Furnaceface posted:

Don't forget Dear Leader.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Whiskey Sours posted:

That was this thread's go-to.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Whiskey Sours posted:

I was always partial to Pedosmile Sweatervest, but that was really nichey.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leofish posted:

I'm just sour today. I don't even particularly care about Trudeau that much. Is it too much to ask, though, that you use the proper name of the person you're criticizing? Disagree with him all you want, but Jesus, act like an adult.

I agree, I'm just saying it's a distasteful and stupid thing that pretty much everyone engages in from time to time, not simply a right-wing thing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

To be fair, politics are never really argued at a high level, it's usually someone characterised as left-wing against some characterised as right-wing spewing out the same facts at each other which usually dissolves down to name calling.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll take your word for it. Other than a stint in university Vancouver has always been that big cloud of dirty pink smoke at the south end of the Gulf, to be avoided except for the occasional shopping trip.

During part of uni I lived in East Van, which was full of perverts, students, and junkies at the time. Not sure how much I should extrapolate from there.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Leofish posted:

Nicknames for Justin Trudeau I have seen in CBC comments since his election:

Trudump
Trudope
Turdeau
Justine
Justin Hair-do
Pot Minister Trudeau
Jihadi Justin
Sunni Ways

Right-wingers are giant children.

I'm a fan of Justine, because it's basically LOL HE'S A GIRL AND GIRLS ARE BAD

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm a fan of Justine, because it's basically LOL HE'S A GIRL AND GIRLS ARE BAD

Except for sex, because when two guys do it it's icky and bad!

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I could get behind Trudope

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Mods please change my name to Pot Minister Trudope of Canadabs. tia

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
All this focus on the race to 25k when in reality you could just donate and it would help many more in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.

quote:

The simple way Canadians can help Syrians
The feds set aside $100 million to match donations to the Syrian crisis, but donations have reached only a tenth that amount

When the disturbing photo of toddler Alan Kurdi lying dead on a Turkish beach hit the news in the middle of last fall’s federal election, Canadian politicians scrambled to respond to the outpouring of grief and anger. Kurdi, his mother and five-year-old brother drowned in an attempt to flee Syria for somewhere safer. The family had relatives in Canada who hoped to resettle them here, personalizing a story that for four years had been somebody else’s nightmare.

As the political parties tried to outbid each other on their plans to resettle Syrian refugees, the then-Conservative government announced it would set aside up to $100 million to match donations to Canadian NGOs working in the region. But for all the tears shed over little Alan Kurdi and all the anger directed at the Conservatives for dragging their feet on refugee resettlement, Canadians have donated only $12 million since the matching funds were announced on Sept. 12. That’s not much more than a dollar per person for the nearly 11 million people displaced by the bloody conflict.

Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, whose Liberal government has replaced the Conservatives, yesterday announced Canada would extend the period for donations to be matched. Canadians have been focused on the Liberal promise to increase the number of refugees resettled, so now they’ll have an additional two months—until Feb. 29, 2016—to contribute. It’s “to say hey, there’s so many to come, to welcome, but don’t forget there are so many others to help over there,” Bibeau said.

To say there are “so many others” who won’t be coming to Canada is a massive understatement. The government’s goal is to resettle 25,000 Syrians by the end of February, with another 10,000 or so by the end of 2016. That’s 35,000 Syrians out of the 4.4 million who have fled their country—actually, let’s make it more clear and write it as 4,400,000 people. An additional 6.6 million (6,600,000) have been displaced from their homes but remain in Syria. Giving up a winter coat or a high chair for the family settling in your city is a more personal way to help somebody, but it’s also far more limited than giving even a small amount of cash to one of the many agencies trying to feed and shelter the families who will never make it to Canada.

The NGOs say the focus during the election campaign became how to welcome refugees in Canada, which is where everyone has targeted their generosity. Collection centres across Canada have been overwhelmed with bags of clothes and household items for the newcomers to set up their homes. Now it’s time to consider those on the other side of the world.

“I think that when you have a guest coming to your home, you lay out the good food, you lay out the nice linen. And this is what we’re doing: we’re saying to new guests and new Canadians, we embrace you,” said Cicely McWilliam, a senior adviser at Save the Children. The extension of the matching funds is a chance for Canadians to embrace the millions of Syrians who are living in refugee camps in neighbouring countries, or who remain under siege within the country’s borders. “The effort really now needs to be refocused a little bit so that that Canadian generosity can support efforts under way in the region,” McWilliam said. “Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan have almost doubled their populations in some cases. So they are straining.”

The conflict’s long, slow burn is one of the barriers to fundraising. Donors tend to respond to major unexpected events and feel better about giving to a problem with a clear solution. “It’s easier to donate to a natural disaster where you see okay, there’s been an earthquake, thousands of people have been killed, thousands of people are homeless,” said Rose Anne Devlin, a University of Ottawa professor who studies why people donate to charities. With Syria, “there is a bit of fatigue… You start to wonder what can I do to solve this problem? It requires [a] structural political solution and people get frustrated by that.”

None of this is to say Canadians haven’t already given a great deal to local efforts. Devlin points out there are hundreds of organizations collecting donations for Syrians arriving on our shores, so to draw a conclusion from the limited response to the matching funds would be to ignore the massive success of the work in those communities. And while $12 million pales in comparison to the size of the refugee challenge, World Vision Canada says the matching fund did help boost donations.

“We raised more money in the first two weeks after the picture of Alan Kurdi on the beach and the announcement of the matching fund than we did in the 4½ years of the Syrian conflict,” said Michael Messenger, president of World Vision Canada. “We’re not disappointed in the generosity at all.”

This is the first time the government has tried to use a matching fund during a long-running conflict, as opposed to a natural disaster. Both the government and the NGOs are evaluating how it’s worked, as well as how best to raise money to support people in the midst of a drawn-out emergency without some kind of galvanizing moment. What’s clear right now is there’s little Canadians can do to help end an incredibly complex war on the other side of the world. By reaching into their pockets, they could be doing ever so slightly more to help its victims.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

All this focus on the race to 25k when in reality you could just donate and it would help many more in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.

Haha, like the average Canadian has money they can donate. No one's going to dip into their HELOC for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Manitoba Liberals are going to win and they are going to Lib the gently caress out

http://www.manitobaliberals.ca/home-ownership-matters

HOME OWNERSHIP, EVERYONE BUY A HOME!