Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi posted:

I don't live on a city that i have to worry on who is behind me or a car running me over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

is it actually dynamically reconfigurable pins? or one of two states, pins 0-7 do this while pins 8-15 do this and vice versa

and usb is a serial form of communication

I don't know how versatile it is. it negotiates some sort of configuration with the cable, probably depends on what kind of multiplexing/routing/termination they have in there. if they wanted to route the dac out of it, it seems doable.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

you can do analog audio through a digital output if you do some fancy Class-D amplifying and use the headphones as a low pass filter. I would be surprised if apple goes the DAC route instead of just doing some magic with amplifiers.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Grandmaster.flv posted:

if you are walking or biking with noise cancelling headphones in your are an idiot.

if you don't jaywalk it's generally fine if you keep it to a volume where you can still mostly hear traffic and they help you ignore the peope that pass out fliers and poo poo anyway

they own on the subway though and you can crank them up unless you don't know what stop you need to get off at

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

jesus christ if you're deaf and have to go to the corner store call a cab you loving lunatic

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

earpods sound terrible and beats are tacky as poo poo

sorry gramps but apple products are not for olds

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

poty posted:

this isnt the 5 figgies thread

:melter::boom::chanpop::fyh::master:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

My car wasn't even made 7 years ago

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

I don't know how versatile it is. it negotiates some sort of configuration with the cable, probably depends on what kind of multiplexing/routing/termination they have in there. if they wanted to route the dac out of it, it seems doable.

Its just barely versatile enough to make the cables reversible.

again, the whole point of Lightning is to be purely serial data instead of doing something dumb like having all 29 DVI pins and DVI output hardware in the phone itself

iOS will only ever speak serial data to the cable, if it ends up as an analog signal or as some other digital connector, there has to be a chip in the cable doing the conversion.

edit: the Lightning-to-30-pin adapter has a DAC for analog audio

edit 2: the original explanation when everybody was whining about the 1600x900 resolution of the HDMI adapter: https://panic.com/blog/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/#comment-16841

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 10, 2016

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

neonbregna posted:

sorry gramps but apple products are not for olds

You posted your old saggy neck and thinning hair in this thread.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
apple needs someone who can tell jony to shut the gently caress up when he shits out things like the camera bump and those thick lines on the back of the 6/s/+ and also the big scren size and really everything iphone 6/s/+

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

apple needs someone who can tell jony to shut the gently caress up when he shits out things like the camera bump and those thick lines on the back of the 6/s/+ and also the big scren size and really everything iphone 6/s/+

gently caress you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cremnob doesn't even argue he knows johnny ives isn't being kept in check and is dragging apple down

they're even having to decrease production because the 6s is tanking

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey so my 6s isn't getting calls. it can make them and do data, but incoming calls all hit voicemail without ringing my phone or iPad. this is a Verizon problem right?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey so my 6s isn't getting calls. it can make them and do data, but incoming calls all hit voicemail without ringing my phone or iPad. this is a Verizon problem right?

upgrade to a 5s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

maybe?? idk if verizon uses sim cards now or not but if yes you should try putting it in a different phone (if they dont then lol verizon)

also what happens if you leave yourself a voicemail?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wild EEPROM posted:

that was jobs' job

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

phones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

have you tried tuning it off and back on again?

beepee
Apr 29, 2010

Friend had this problem on her T-Mo iPhone 5 and it turned out she'd accidentally toggled Do Not Disturb from the iOS slide-up menu.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

come on guys :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yes, call your isp and theyll help you

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

do you have any other phone to test the sim?

:pt: way to do it is to restore your phone without importing a backup and see if the issue persists.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't have another phone so I can't even test to see if what I tried worked

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
borrow a co-worker's or family member's phone for a few minutes?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dodoman posted:

borrow a co-worker's or family member's phone for a few minutes?

it's Sunday and also I don't live at home?

but yeah I'm meeting up with people soon, hopefully they don't have to call me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apparently mac rumours hates the leaked Facebook messenger desktop app but hey if it keeps me from having to go to Facebook.com how is it a bad thing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if apple transitions to a lightning connector for headphones they'll definitely need to resurrect steve jobs to explain the reasoning behind it. he was really good at explaining why something sucks and should be replaced. the new Tim style isn't really the same.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If the Lightning connector is required for an even thinner phone and the 6s already has a camera bump the future is not looking great for the iPhone 7 camera. Do people really care about the size of the camera?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
itd be better if there was no camera bump and they put in a bigger battery

idgaf about the 3.5mm jack if there's a good alternative. maybe they come up with really good bt headphones?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

MrMoo posted:

If the Lightning connector is required for an even thinner phone and the 6s already has a camera bump the future is not looking great for the iPhone 7 camera. Do people really care about the size of the camera?

they have a ton of patents for dual cameras that simulate a camera with better optics or something like that

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my main :tinfoil: is that they're working on a 3D display. they have that parallax effect in iOS 7, "3D" touch, dual camera patents, purchase of PrimeSense, and now rumours that they're making a custom OLED display right now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

maybe the periscope camera is finally ready for production

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

pseudorandom name posted:

maybe the periscope camera is finally ready for production

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple has passed 10m subscribers for its music streaming service, taking six months to hit a milestone that took its arch-rival Spotify six years to hit, say people familiar with the matter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
yeah, they all forgot to cancel the charge after their trial ran out

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I never even touched the Music button on my phone and got charged for the family subscription. had to contact customer support, it was a poo poo show, they have worse customer support than valve.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cremnob posted:

Apple has passed 10m subscribers for its music streaming service, taking six months to hit a milestone that took its arch-rival Spotify six years to hit, say people familiar with the matter.

"people familiar with the matter" = "someone wildly speculating"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I never even touched the Music button on my phone and got charged for the family subscription. had to contact customer support, it was a poo poo show, they have worse customer support than valve.

it's the family tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

apple music is owning as expected and its driving tech bloggers crazy

just look at how the verge took this reblogging of the FT's story and turned it into a spotify PR release

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/10/10745630/apple-music-total-paid-subscribers-vs-spotify

• Locked thread