Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Olyphant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was pretty obviously asking about him being lumped in with conservative shitheads since he wasn't brought up before that and I've never heard of him being vocally political.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BaurusJA posted:

Following EvE politics as a past time while I don't have a gaming rig for the past few years I noticed even Goons who spend 20-30 hours a week want nothing to do with the "gamer identity."

Anyways I agree, gamer as it currently is understood is kinda shite

One of the really bizarre things that happened with relation to MRAism, Reddit, and GamerGate is that a small subset of "people that play games" suddenly decided what "gamer" meant and it was not "person who play games." They created this entire culture around being useless, unemployed neckbeards that hate the rest of the world and expect to be catered to because, by the hours, they're the ones that play games the most.

The stupid thing is it's because they often have nothing else going on in their lives. They also don't drive sales; casuals make up the majority of game purchases because, hey, most people that like games have lives and play games for fun in their spare time. All told "gamers" are a demographic that can probably be safely ignored.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Have some friends who worked on Damages, and described him as the biggest all around douchenozlle they ever worked with. TO me someones politics shouldn't impact why I see their movies, its if their a douchenozzle. IT does happen that more right wingers tend to being douchenozzles though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really, no. I frequent this board because it's heavily moderated and for the most part, it's funny and the folks who post here seem intelligent and well informed but, no, I don't shape my identity around it. Like at all.

If anyone were to ask me to describe myself and what I do, "Something Awful Forums Poster 'BiggerBoat'" would be well down the list.

Identifying as a SA forum poster would be bizarre, sure. But people self-identifying according to their pastimes is hardly strange. Lots of people identify by the books they read, or as readers in general. Likewise with music, movies, and sports fans. And that's just restricting it to things people spectate rather than actual participatory hobbies, which games also are. A great many of them are :siren:consumer products too, so nothing strange even there.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the really bizarre things that happened with relation to MRAism, Reddit, and GamerGate is that a small subset of "people that play games" suddenly decided what "gamer" meant and it was not "person who play games." They created this entire culture around being useless, unemployed neckbeards that hate the rest of the world and expect to be catered to because, by the hours, they're the ones that play games the most.

The stupid thing is it's because they often have nothing else going on in their lives. They also don't drive sales; casuals make up the majority of game purchases because, hey, most people that like games have lives and play games for fun in their spare time. All told "gamers" are a demographic that can probably be safely ignored.

This is a lot more on point. Again, it's nothing all that strange for a small subset of fanatics in a field to go into weird purist arguments and tell others they're doing it wrong, but this time is very unusual in matter of degree. Probably has a lot to do with how video games and the internet both intersect as something that still clings to a "nerd poo poo" reputation years after becoming something grandma spends half her free time on.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Have some friends who worked on Damages, and described him as the biggest all around douchenozlle they ever worked with. TO me someones politics shouldn't impact why I see their movies, its if their a douchenozzle. IT does happen that more right wingers tend to being douchenozzles though.

drat, that's disappointing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Killer robot posted:

This is a lot more on point. Again, it's nothing all that strange for a small subset of fanatics in a field to go into weird purist arguments and tell others they're doing it wrong, but this time is very unusual in matter of degree. Probably has a lot to do with how video games and the internet both intersect as something that still clings to a "nerd poo poo" reputation years after becoming something grandma spends half her free time on.

To be honest I think a lot of it has to do with the internet being these peoples' only outlet to the outside world. How many of them are basement-dwelling nerds with no money to actually go somewhere and do something? One of the issues is that they're often middle/upper middle-class white guys whose parents can support them more or less indefinitely. Part of it is nerdy association and that comes from the fact that nerds = smart and these people think they're smart and have nerdy interests so they're obviously smarter than everybody else.

Given that a lot of them are white as hell and don't see the outside world it gets tied up in with racism and what have you. For a very long time gaming, especially online, was almost exclusively male so you get it wrapped up with "white men are the smartest people ever. I am a white man ergo I am super smart and everybody else is super dumb." It's why right wing nonsense got so appealing to the demographic. Suddenly non-white non-male people were getting interested in games as well, partly because it became just plain cheaper. Suddenly their interest wasn't some exclusive club that only white dudes ever bothered joining but something that was increasingly inclusive. So of course they're going to become hostile toward liberalism. Suddenly joking about black people stealing bikes is no longer acceptable or saying "tits or gtfo" within nanoseconds of learning that somebody is both online and female are no longer acceptable. Now it's being pointed out that their culture isn't as enlightened, progressive, and inclusive as they said it was and they loving hate that. I think this and just raw territorialism is why there is so much hostility right now. They're working from the assumption of "we are smart and our opinions are always right" and going from there.

Of course it's also reactionary as hell. Some of the backlash against portrayal of female characters is where this gets really obvious and also shows blatantly how sexist gamer culture really is. A woman in a video game absolutely must be sexy in the minds of a lot of people. So once you make a female character that is defined by something other than how sexy she is they lose their drat minds. Given how unfriendly right wing politics are to women it's really no surprise that it's becoming a target demographic for the GOP.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 10, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

DrProsek posted:

I basically stopped being a "gamer" right when I stopped being a conservative/libertarian. Once you get why rape jokes are at least not the greatest thing ever and racism still exists, listening to a self professed gamer talk is all the reason to stop being one.

I was never really that right winged, but the straw that broke the camel's back for me was gamer gate. That poo poo combined with the rise of MRA and PUA BS really just made me want to distance myself from the whole "internet/gamer" scene. You quickly start seeing just pure assholishness every where associated with online geekdom and you come to realize that most people online are just some variety of miserable person with huge chips on their shoulders, nothing better to do with with themselves, and have horrible beliefs because of their completely hosed up social lives. Not the kind of thing I would be proud to associate myself with.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course it's also reactionary as hell. Some of the backlash against portrayal of female characters is where this gets really obvious and also shows blatantly how sexist gamer culture really is. A woman in a video game absolutely must be sexy in the minds of a lot of people. So once you make a female character that is defined by something other than how sexy she is they lose their drat minds. Given how unfriendly right wing politics are to women it's really no surprise that it's becoming a target demographic for the GOP.

The fact that raising the question of the over-sexualization of women is met with "KEEP POLITICS AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS OUT OF MY GAMES/COMICS/whatever" is the most telling things. The fact that it is "political" for them says it all.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 10, 2016

ThomasPancake
Jul 28, 2013

by Reene

MaxxBot posted:

I thought twitter was the dumbest thing in the world until I found out how easy it was to get relatively well known people to respond to my insulting troll tweets, now I think it's great. There's no other venue where these people would actually engage in debate, it's pretty funny how easily they're provoked by some random no-name rear end in a top hat.

Well yeah, if they didn't respond it would be fascist SJW censorship of your brave ideas, and would ust prove they don't possess the logic and reason to debate you irl.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BaurusJA posted:

But then again aren't goons semi-famous for playing Internet Spreadsheets in Space?

Just spitballing here.

#NotAllGoons etc. etc. :hchatter:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 10, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

The fact that raising the question of the over-sexualization of women is met with "KEEP POLITICS AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS OUT OF MY GAMES/COMICS/whatever" is the most telling things. The fact that it is "political" for them says it all.

Yeah the thing that really confuses me is that relatively few people are saying "never sexualize a character, ever." Sex appeal is, in fact, a thing that exists so sometimes it's there sometimes it isn't. Video games are by nature a fantasy and don't reflect reality so the characters are probably going to be idealized in some way or another but as soon as you say "hey you know women that are not sex objects that exist solely to give you a boner exist as well" they starts to scream SJW and talk like everybody is trying to take their wank material away.

Well no some people just want a story with a strong female character whose most prominent trait is something other than her breasts. If people want to make sexy characters they're welcome to, nobody really cares, it's just that acting like every female character must be sexy or it's oppression of men is just stupid.

Granted it's also telling that they tend to not bitch about sexualized male characters existing. Or if they do it's "why is this character so homoerotic it bothers me." Well because some people want a story about a hot guy too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was pretty obviously asking about him being lumped in with conservative shitheads since he wasn't brought up before that and I've never heard of him being vocally political.

Sorry, I actually thought you weren't sure who it was cause I wasn't and had to google to find out

Was trying to be helpful, not a butt :shobon:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Magres posted:

Sorry, I actually thought you weren't sure who it was cause I wasn't and had to google to find out

Was trying to be helpful, not a butt :shobon:

Ah, gotcha, thanks then. You should check out the show Justified if you haven't. Think it's where most people know him from. :)

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I think a lot of it has to do with the internet being these peoples' only outlet to the outside world. How many of them are basement-dwelling nerds with no money to actually go somewhere and do something? One of the issues is that they're often middle/upper middle-class white guys whose parents can support them more or less indefinitely. Part of it is nerdy association and that comes from the fact that nerds = smart and these people think they're smart and have nerdy interests so they're obviously smarter than everybody else.

Given that a lot of them are white as hell and don't see the outside world it gets tied up in with racism and what have you. For a very long time gaming, especially online, was almost exclusively male so you get it wrapped up with "white men are the smartest people ever. I am a white man ergo I am super smart and everybody else is super dumb." It's why right wing nonsense got so appealing to the demographic. Suddenly non-white non-male people were getting interested in games as well, partly because it became just plain cheaper. Suddenly their interest wasn't some exclusive club that only white dudes ever bothered joining but something that was increasingly inclusive. So of course they're going to become hostile toward liberalism. Suddenly joking about black people stealing bikes is no longer acceptable or saying "tits or gtfo" within nanoseconds of learning that somebody is both online and female are no longer acceptable. Now it's being pointed out that their culture isn't as enlightened, progressive, and inclusive as they said it was and they loving hate that. I think this and just raw territorialism is why there is so much hostility right now. They're working from the assumption of "we are smart and our opinions are always right" and going from there.

While this is all very true and well said, I think it's important to remember that there has never really been a time when non-white non-male non-hetero gamers didn't exist, or for that matter, exist in numbers (although definitely, those numbers have grown). It's just they got a bit of a voice and the industry actually (sort of, sometimes) started listening to them, so all of a sudden these guys realized their clubhouse had people who were, le gasp, different than they were. They seem to see it as an invasion when the reality is it's been that way all along, it's just they were pretty effectively ignored and silenced until fairly recently.

I always find it so weird when people act like video games were invisible to every other demographic just because those demographics were mostly invisible to them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kartikeya posted:

I always find it so weird when people act like video games were invisible to every other demographic just because those demographics were mostly invisible to them.

Remember that these are largely the same people that previously spent their time huffing and puffing about gaming companies "suddenly" selling out to "casuals" (children and families).

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Coohoolin posted:

If someone's seriously asking why "transethnic" isn't at the same level as transgenderism (I loving hope not) it's because gender dysphoria is an actual real thing that happens to people, while pigment dysphoria isn't.

Tell that to Bobby Jindal.

Have you ever been to an anime convention? I promise you will find some self described otaku who feel culturally Japanese at a big one. Wanting surgically created epicanthic folds is a thing: https://www.realself.com/question/surgery-for-epicanthic-fold1. Oh, and why do little black girls say the white dolls are prettier and look more like them? This is a clear case of racial dysphoria.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7213714&page=1

quote:

The majority -- 63 percent of them -- said they'd rather play with the white doll. Most said the white doll was nicer than the black doll and in the most poignant answer of all, 44 percent of the black children said the white doll looked most like them.

When racism comes with a few perks for the minority races ( Asians are smart! ) you see people go the other way instead of just trying to pass for white - but passing for white has a long and storied history. Hell, back when the Irish weren't considered "white" one of my ancestors changed his name, moved, and pretended to be English.

I used to hate my body because it made other people treat me poorly. The notion that my mind and body didn't match wasn't something that came from within, it was definitely something that came from without. But it felt like it came from within. Girls are like this, boys are like that. You are a girl so you must be like this!!!! I'd never have known something was wrong if people didn't keep slamming doors in my face with "no girls allowed" signs on them but since they did I spent a great deal of my childhood and adolescence insisting that I should be considered a boy and eschewing all things socially flagged as feminine. I was pleased as punch when I was mistaken for a boy. Then puberty hit and my body betrayed me even worse than it already had.

Eventually I had an epiphany. My mind and body were fine and it was society that was wrong. I understand completely how hard it is to reach that understanding because I was in my thirties when I did. I've spent far longer experiencing gender dysphoria than I have truly understanding that gender roles are bullshit and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. Understanding this brings a wonderful peace of mind, but it doesn't stop being discriminated against due to my gender. It just means that I don't internalize the discrimination into self-hate anymore.

Surgical/hormonal transformation could also have fixed the problem to a large extent by changing how everyone else treated me. The problem being the self-hatred. Society being assholes about gender is also a problem. But it's a problem to big for me to solve on my own. Seeking to pass as the other gender will continue to be a rational response as long as society tells people that who they are is only acceptable in the other gender. We are social beings and do a lot for acceptance. There is nothing wrong with the people who do this. Hopefully it brings them peace. The social norms that drove them to it I have a problem with.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

kartikeya posted:

Ms pac man was marketed to girls and was the most successful arcade game ever made:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Pac-Man

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

McAlister posted:

Tell that to Bobby Jindal.

Have you ever been to an anime convention? I promise you will find some self described otaku who feel culturally Japanese at a big one. Wanting surgically created epicanthic folds is a thing: https://www.realself.com/question/surgery-for-epicanthic-fold1. Oh, and why do little black girls say the white dolls are prettier and look more like them? This is a clear case of racial dysphoria.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7213714&page=1

When racism comes with a few perks for the minority races ( Asians are smart! ) you see people go the other way instead of just trying to pass for white - but passing for white has a long and storied history. Hell, back when the Irish weren't considered "white" one of my ancestors changed his name, moved, and pretended to be English.

I used to hate my body because it made other people treat me poorly. The notion that my mind and body didn't match wasn't something that came from within, it was definitely something that came from without. But it felt like it came from within. Girls are like this, boys are like that. You are a girl so you must be like this!!!! I'd never have known something was wrong if people didn't keep slamming doors in my face with "no girls allowed" signs on them but since they did I spent a great deal of my childhood and adolescence insisting that I should be considered a boy and eschewing all things socially flagged as feminine. I was pleased as punch when I was mistaken for a boy. Then puberty hit and my body betrayed me even worse than it already had.

Eventually I had an epiphany. My mind and body were fine and it was society that was wrong. I understand completely how hard it is to reach that understanding because I was in my thirties when I did. I've spent far longer experiencing gender dysphoria than I have truly understanding that gender roles are bullshit and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. Understanding this brings a wonderful peace of mind, but it doesn't stop being discriminated against due to my gender. It just means that I don't internalize the discrimination into self-hate anymore.

Surgical/hormonal transformation could also have fixed the problem to a large extent by changing how everyone else treated me. The problem being the self-hatred. Society being assholes about gender is also a problem. But it's a problem to big for me to solve on my own. Seeking to pass as the other gender will continue to be a rational response as long as society tells people that who they are is only acceptable in the other gender. We are social beings and do a lot for acceptance. There is nothing wrong with the people who do this. Hopefully it brings them peace. The social norms that drove them to it I have a problem with.

I wanted to send you a PM, but you don't have PM's.

This was 100% my experience as well. Thankfully I'm in a good situation now where it's not too bad, but the years spent with completely weird things being decided about me based on what my gender looked like to other people wasn't fun.

What's interesting now is that I live in a different culture so all the biotruths stuff is real hilarious. If the poo poo people said about gender was really true then we would see a lot less variance in gender roles from country to country.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/10/at-war-with-conservatives-stock-price-tanking-users-alienated-is-this-the-end-for-twitter/

quote:

Twitter is in crisis. Just as the value of its stock has dipped to an all-time low, it has picked a fight with conservative and libertarian users on its own platform. This marks a low point for a social media company that has spent the last year alienating its own users.

How has it alienated anyone? All of my friends still use it. I've not seen anyone on my timeline throw their arms up and go "gently caress THIS." over anything twtter has done in the past year.

quote:

In addition to condemnation from conservative media, including The Blaze and Twitchy, it also drew the ire of independent observers such as tech entrepeneur Jason Calacanis and the influential advertising blog Adland. Even reports in outlets on the opposite end of the political spectrum to Yiannopoulos, like BuzzFeed, were not exactly pro-Twitter in their analysis.

The company now faces a sustained revolt from the most dedicated of its conservative and culturally libertarian users — and, most likely, more negative media coverage too. Its brand will be hurt: yet more unwelcome news for investors, who already have much to be concerned about.

The #JeSuisMilo revolt, however, was a long time coming. Anger at Twitter had been building amidst a large and vocal segment of the platform’s userbase for some time. Almost every change Twitter has made to its service over the past year has served to turn more users against it.

From filtering users’ timelines without their consent to the creation of unpopular new features like “moments,” an attempt to introduce top-down content curation to Twitter, and “while you were away,” an attempt to move away from Twitter’s old model of real-time news.

"Huh. Moments sure is stupid huh? Ah well. Gonna go tweet about this sporting event some more" - my timeline basically.

quote:

As Adland’s Åsk Wäppling explains: “Jack Dorsey has begun experimenting with a timeline view in which tweets are sorted by relevance – as determined by an algorithm which can only be as smart as the person who programmed it – rather than chronological time published.” There are no signs that either feature has been met with particular enthusiasm by users, who are accustomed to choosing the content they see on Twitter.

But it’s not just botched or stillborn new features that are proving cancerous to the reputation of Twitter. The past few years have seen the growth of a relentless, radical, destabilising force in tech that threatens the political neutrality of virtually every company in Silicon Valley: the culturally authoritarian social justice warrior.

And I do mean every company. There’s Jake Boxer of GitHub, who pressured the company into removing a GamerGate page in late 2014. Then there’s the increasingly notorious Arbitration Committee at Wikipedia, who recently purged a long-serving (but politically nonconformist) editor without any public evidence or appeals.

At Twitter, we have engineering manager Michael Margolis, who had been out to get Yiannopoulos for some time prior to his unverification.

Brazenly wearing their political bias on their sleeves, they can often be found in public conversation with progressive and feminist activists, doing everything they can to censor their opponents on the platforms and web services where they hold sway. Twitter, like other Silicon Valley companies, appears to be slow to realise the catastrophic effect that political bias has on user confidence.

Some of Twitter’s more long-standing policies are also a source of annoyance to users. Its policy of refusing to comment on individual user bans, for example, is baffling. So too is its lack of an appeals process. In the case of Yiannopoulos, the failure to provide a reason for his punishment added to the perception that Twitter is entirely arbitrary in its punishments.

This will not be helped by the introduction of new policies, no doubt at the behest of the progressive culture warriors mentioned above, that give Twitter a free hand to suspend anyone, at any time, without providing a reason. A new rule against abusive behaviour lists a number of prohibited actions on Twitter, including violent threats, harassment, and encouraging self-harm. Crucially, however, the rule is prefaced by the following line:

We take action on accounts found to be in violation of the Twitter Rules and Terms of Service, including (but not limited to) the following types of abusive behavior. [Emphasis ours]

“Including, but not limited to.” In other words, Twitter has given itself the ability to make arbitrary, on-the-spot decisions about what constitutes harassment. Inexplicable suspensions of conservative celebrities like Adam Baldwin suddenly make more sense. The fingerprints of social justice warriors, who delight in redefining political disagreement as “harassment,” are all over this new rule. Twitter’s reputation for arbitrary, politically-motivated punishment looks set to grow.

In addition to taking sides in the culture wars, Twitter is also no longer a friend to the politically downtrodden around the world. The platform that once prided itself on acting as a means for activists to challenge their states, increasingly takes their marching orders from national governments.

Twitter, along with Facebook, is working with Germany to enforce its stringent hate speech laws across its platform, assisting Chancellor Angela Merkel in her dangerous attempt to suppress pent-up anger at recent atrocities committed by migrants.

It isn’t just western regimes either: the same Twitter that once acted as a conduit for the Arab Spring now regularly caves in to censorship requests from Turkey. Any reputation Twitter had as a friend to the oppressed is quickly evaporating. Like so many other flashy tech companies, Twitter has morphed seamlessly from a bastion of Silicon Valley, change-the-world idealism, to an opaque, compromised corporate entity like any other.

#JeSuisMilo is not just a momentary instance of outrage. The hashtag, still active after two days, is the culmination of Twitter’s catastrophic management of its relationship with users. Over a year of simmering user discontent has erupted into an online firestorm that is unlikely to die down anytime soon.

For a company that’s already struggling to grow its user base, and with younger competitors like Snapchat and Vine providing more enticing options for those looking to reach an audience, this could mark the beginning of the end for Twitter.

I'm just stunned at how these people throw a hissy fit over this poo poo. You know, women, transgender people and others have faced legitimate harrassment online from shitbag trolls.

But yeah, let's all ignore that and focus on one crybaby fake blonde loser that got unverified because he pretty much promotes hate speech.

"Twitter's fanbase is rapidly declining". I really...really doubt that.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I love how Milo calls himself a "cultural libertarian" while being a raging homophobe and misogynist. What does that word even loving mean? It's about as meaningless as the other gamergate favorite "cultural marxism."

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Breitbart posted:

But it’s not just botched or stillborn new features that are proving cancerous to the reputation of Twitter. The past few years have seen the growth of a relentless, radical, destabilising force in tech that threatens the political neutrality of virtually every company in Silicon Valley: the culturally authoritarian social justice warrior.

This is just magical.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

I love how Milo calls himself a "cultural libertarian" while being a raging homophobe and misogynist. What does that word even loving mean? It's about as meaningless as the other gamergate favorite "cultural marxism."

Cultural Marxism isn't a meaningless phrase it means please ignore my opinions they are garbage.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

McAlister posted:

Racism never has any good perks for anyone.

MaxxBot posted:

Anyone who wants to talk about "cultural marxism" should be demonstrated the fact that Soviet Union was very socially conservative.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Anyone who wants to talk about "cultural marxism" should be demonstrated the fact that Soviet Union was very socially conservative.

B-b-b-but The Frankfurt School :freep:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"#JeSuisMilo is not just a momentary instance of outrage. The hashtag, still active after two days, "

nah actually anyone who isn't obsessed with their tweetfeeds has forgotten about it. most of what's left is just shouting into the void. much like anything else milo has whined about incessantly and actually isn't in widespread view or cared about by normal people lol.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

MinibarMatchman posted:

"#JeSuisMilo is not just a momentary instance of outrage. The hashtag, still active after two days, "

nah actually anyone who isn't obsessed with their tweetfeeds has forgotten about it. most of what's left is just shouting into the void. much like anything else milo has whined about incessantly and actually isn't in widespread view or cared about by normal people lol.

Conservative outrage reminds me of a one-man band. It's just bunch of cacophonous noise made by a few people.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

Rick_Hunter posted:

Conservative outrage reminds me of a one-man band. It's just bunch of cacophonous noise made by a few people.

The best conservative outrage is when they are outraged over other peoples outrage. (Read: liberals)

Essentially,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

The only thing #JuSuisMilo really did was allow for Milo to ingeniously take away his supporters' ability to distance themselves from him when he eventually says something that manages to outrage the general public, not just Tumblr, Twitter, Reddit, or Breitbart's comment section community. Because he got a whole swath of idiots to publicly proclaim they were functionally an extension of himself.

...I wonder what horrible thoughts pass through Ben Shapiro's little head whenever he's forced to be in the same room with Milo? Or do you think he's attained a high enough level of cognitive dissonance to ignore the fact that from a non-political lifestyle perspective, Milo is the sum walking total of everything he has raged against since before he had a drivers license?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Yeah I don't think Breitbart's done anything valuable in years, not since their namesake got a black Department of Agriculture head fired through the magic of video editing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Yeah I don't think Breitbart's done anything valuable in years, not since their namesake got a black Department of Agriculture head fired through the magic of video editing.

And because of things like Breitbart and James O'Keefe, people instinctually ask the for the raw footage now instead of taking the edited video at face value.

Speaking of raw footage, did anything ever come of the Center for Medical Progress giving that congressional committee all of the raw footage? Or did the committee just give up because all they could really say was, ":manning:ABORTION BAD" to Cecile Richards?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

The past few years have seen the growth of a relentless, radical, destabilising force in tech that threatens the political neutrality of virtually every company in Silicon Valley: the culturally authoritarian social justice warrior.

This is the best line.
SJW Ackbar :jihad:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

What was it that Milo said that got him in trouble w/ Twitter?

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

Mister Macys posted:

This is the best line.
SJW Ackbar :jihad:

It's a trap you see.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Only if you think it's bad, I guess.

I however, am one of those authoritarians. :commissar:

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

beatlegs posted:

What was it that Milo said that got him in trouble w/ Twitter?

Being a rabid oval office.

Also he seems to be at war with Re/code for for not sufficiently sucking his self-loathing dick
http://recode.net/2016/01/10/can-tw...y-suggests-not/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Milo is fantastic because you can use him to instantly gauge what the wrong side of any issue is, because I don't think he's been anything but FIRMLY in the wrong about everything I've ever heard him talking about.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think I saw something tagging us as the real "homophobes" because we don't actually care about gay people like Milo, we only worry about an "agenda".

I'm a bit puzzled by the mental gymnastics it would take to reach that conclusion. It just seems like old standby to remove any sort of guilt of supporting discrimination because some of the policies most of these people believe in are very harmful.

Puntification posted:

Cultural Marxism isn't a meaningless phrase it means please ignore my opinions they are garbage.

I keep seeing this phrase used by white supremacists and those on the far right (ie: Cliven Bundy types) Which I mean goes along with their history brandishing any sort of progressive idealogy as "communism".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXPtPoHKKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBPlj7m3lpo

It's always tied in with Communism, Jews, and the UN for some reason.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I really can't get enough of these people pretending a company running a business is required to give them a platform to air their hateful bullshit. They're free to go use whatever Twitter alternative they like if they don't like the way Twitter handles bans.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I still don't understand why they "unverified" him. Like, it makes no sense. Are they no longer sure who he is? What does being verified get you? I thought it was just an identity authentication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RZA Encryption posted:

I still don't understand why they "unverified" him. Like, it makes no sense. Are they no longer sure who he is? What does being verified get you? I thought it was just an identity authentication.

quote:

What kinds of accounts get verified?
Twitter verifies accounts on an ongoing basis to make it easier for users to find who they're looking for. We concentrate on highly sought users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business and other key interest areas. We are constantly updating our requirements for verification. Note, verification does not factor in follower count or Tweet count.

We do not accept requests for verification from the general public. If you fall under one of the above categories and your Twitter account meets our qualifications for verification, we may contact you in the future.

So I guess he's technically a journalist? You can lose the verified tag by changing username, protecting tweets, or breaking the rules.