Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are there good stands for Logitech Z5500's that don't involve raiding the fastener bins at your local hardware store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I have a problem with my JBL LSR305s. When I activate any game, or anything graphics-intense, the speakers give off a buzz. You can really hear it when they are muted. The buzz gets higher or lower based on how graphics intense the action is. I get the same buzzing whether I'm using motherboard audio jacks or my sound card.

I am using:
JBL LSR305
Hosa CMP159 Stereo Breakout, 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS, 10-Feet
Creative Sound Blaster Zx PCIe Gaming Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Desktop Audio Control Module
Adam Hall PAD ECO Series SPADECO2 Monitor Isolation Pad

Anyone else have this happen and know a solution?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Are your speakers too close/touching your monitor?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Etrips posted:

Are your speakers too close/touching your monitor?

They are about 6 inches behind and to the side of the monitor. I just moved them closer and further away and there was no change. the buzzing is still there at the same intensity.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JFC posted:

They are about 6 inches behind and to the side of the monitor. I just moved them closer and further away and there was no change. the buzzing is still there at the same intensity.

Try playing with the cables at the connection points if you haven't already. Updated all the soundblaster drivers? Do you have any way to by pass the control module?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
No change when fiddling with the cables. Drivers are up to date. I'm not using the control module at all.

Edit: I've been googling around and some people with the same problem were told to get "balanced" cables. What's that about? Are mine not balanced? Is there a ground issue?

JFC fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2016

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

JFC posted:

I have a problem with my JBL LSR305s. When I activate any game, or anything graphics-intense, the speakers give off a buzz. You can really hear it when they are muted. The buzz gets higher or lower based on how graphics intense the action is. I get the same buzzing whether I'm using motherboard audio jacks or my sound card.

I am using:
JBL LSR305
Hosa CMP159 Stereo Breakout, 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS, 10-Feet
Creative Sound Blaster Zx PCIe Gaming Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Desktop Audio Control Module
Adam Hall PAD ECO Series SPADECO2 Monitor Isolation Pad

Anyone else have this happen and know a solution?

It's interference/noise from your graphics card. I had the same problem and fixed it by getting an external USB DAC. The Behringer UCA-202 should do the job for you.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Brain Issues posted:

It's interference/noise from your graphics card. I had the same problem and fixed it by getting an external USB DAC. The Behringer UCA-202 should do the job for you.

My sound card doesn't have a USB. Is there one that has a 3.5 mm plug?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JFC posted:

My sound card doesn't have a USB. Is there one that has a 3.5 mm plug?
You plug it into your computer's USB port, the sound would be going computer->USB DAC->speakers. No clue if the sound processing or whatever your sound card does would/could still apply though.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

japtor posted:

You plug it into your computer's USB port, the sound would be going computer->USB DAC->speakers. No clue if the sound processing or whatever your sound card does would/could still apply though.

Okay, I see it has an optical out. My card has optical. So I could go via optical from Sound Card > USB DAC (which is plugged into a USB slot) > Speakers?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

JFC posted:

Okay, I see it has an optical out. My card has optical. So I could go via optical from Sound Card > USB DAC (which is plugged into a USB slot) > Speakers?

Nope. What he is suggesting is a effectively a USB sound card. You plug it in a USB port and then plug your speakers into it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you want to use your card's output I guess there's optical to analog converters which should work too right?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I now have two computers in the same room that I want to output sound to the same set of speakers. The speakers have an aux in, but attempting to connect a male-male cable between it and my laptop seems to have mostly just made them constantly buzz with power cable noise or something. Is there some sort of small mixer I can buy that will (a) give me volume knobs for each device and (b) possibly cut down on whatever noise is being generated? Most mixers seem to be geared towards working with professional sound equipment; I just need something that will accept 2-4 3.5mm inputs and mix to one 3.5mm output.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

japtor posted:

If you want to use your card's output I guess there's optical to analog converters which should work too right?

Yeah, I use a FiiO D03K, which can usually be had for ~$30 on Amazon.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NAT-T Ice posted:

I now have two computers in the same room that I want to output sound to the same set of speakers. The speakers have an aux in, but attempting to connect a male-male cable between it and my laptop seems to have mostly just made them constantly buzz with power cable noise or something. Is there some sort of small mixer I can buy that will (a) give me volume knobs for each device and (b) possibly cut down on whatever noise is being generated? Most mixers seem to be geared towards working with professional sound equipment; I just need something that will accept 2-4 3.5mm inputs and mix to one 3.5mm output.
http://www.amazon.com/RDL-EZ-MX4L-Channel-Stereo-Level/dp/B002RMYHSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452155470&sr=8-1&keywords=ez+mx4l

http://www.amazon.com/rolls-MX44S-M...5GSQD0CEXZC610E

A passive one:
http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-St...XKPGA6R4V4MV73V

When looking at small line level mixers, a bunch are going to have mono inputs, or want to include microphone inputs for some reason. Beware of that. There are DJ type mixers too. Cheap ones will be poor quality and the number of inputs will almost always include a couple of phono inputs and sometimes a microphone channel you can't use for line level stuff. Beware of splitter devices that go "one to many" instead of "many to one".

Read the reviews. Use the related items links to look at more products. I'm not specifically vouching for the quality of any of these. Cheap active mixers will add a bit of noise. Passive mixers will attenuate the signals. Neither will necessarily eliminate any ground loop buzz you're likely having. Quality-wise you might be better off with a switch, if you don't need both machines' audio at the same time. The one linked is relatively pretty, but expensive. The cheapest switch boxes are going to be technically made for old style composite video and will do if you can live with the looks and the input/outputs you're not using.

Sorry to not have some can't-go-wrong-go-to product, hope this helps your search anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JFC posted:

Nope, in that case I'd probs use an optical DAC like this one (you just want stereo, right?) instead and output the sound from there.

Basically, if you use a USB DAC, you're sending the signal out to the USB DAC and bypassing the internal sound card. That could be totally what you want or it could not, it really depends on your use case and what you're trying to achieve. I can tell you that using the optical DAC we suggested will be the cheapest option, and will sound excellent for 99%+ of uses.

E; fb.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Not sure if this will fix the issue but interference can be caused by the speakers being from different power sources. Putting them both on the same strip worked wonders for me.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nope, in that case I'd probs use an optical DAC like this one (you just want stereo, right?) instead and output the sound from there.

Basically, if you use a USB DAC, you're sending the signal out to the USB DAC and bypassing the internal sound card. That could be totally what you want or it could not, it really depends on your use case and what you're trying to achieve. I can tell you that using the optical DAC we suggested will be the cheapest option, and will sound excellent for 99%+ of uses.

E; fb.

No, you got it right, I want to go through the sound card, but get rid of the buzzing. I ordered an optical DAC and I'll tell you guys how it goes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Flipperwaldt posted:

http://www.amazon.com/RDL-EZ-MX4L-Channel-Stereo-Level/dp/B002RMYHSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452155470&sr=8-1&keywords=ez+mx4l

http://www.amazon.com/rolls-MX44S-M...5GSQD0CEXZC610E

A passive one:
http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-St...XKPGA6R4V4MV73V

When looking at small line level mixers, a bunch are going to have mono inputs, or want to include microphone inputs for some reason. Beware of that. There are DJ type mixers too. Cheap ones will be poor quality and the number of inputs will almost always include a couple of phono inputs and sometimes a microphone channel you can't use for line level stuff. Beware of splitter devices that go "one to many" instead of "many to one".

Read the reviews. Use the related items links to look at more products. I'm not specifically vouching for the quality of any of these. Cheap active mixers will add a bit of noise. Passive mixers will attenuate the signals. Neither will necessarily eliminate any ground loop buzz you're likely having. Quality-wise you might be better off with a switch, if you don't need both machines' audio at the same time. The one linked is relatively pretty, but expensive. The cheapest switch boxes are going to be technically made for old style composite video and will do if you can live with the looks and the input/outputs you're not using.

Sorry to not have some can't-go-wrong-go-to product, hope this helps your search anyway.

Nah, that should do it. Went with the passive one since I currently only barely turn my speaker volume up for this room. Having to get 3.5mm to RCA converters is a bit annoying but whatever, I should be able to mount it under a shelf and never really move them. Hopefully having the single input to the speakers will get rid of the ground loop buzz. Thanks!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's a good set of speakers for the gaming desktop in my bedroom? I don't have a dedicated sound card, my room, and my desk in particular, are pretty cramped so I'd prefer something smaller, and as far as budget I'd like to stay under a hundred - maybe $150 if I'm underestimating how much good speakers cost for this use case.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's a good set of speakers for the gaming desktop in my bedroom? I don't have a dedicated sound card, my room, and my desk in particular, are pretty cramped so I'd prefer something smaller, and as far as budget I'd like to stay under a hundred - maybe $150 if I'm underestimating how much good speakers cost for this use case.

I'm going to get a ton of stick for this, but I have had the Series II version of http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companio...=bose+companion and have been very happy with them for how little space they take up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dummy.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 10, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You can get a pair of JBL LSR 305s for around $200 from Amazon Warehouse, that's easily the best buy in the market right now especially if you use your computer a lot.

BUT- If money is a huge concern, the M-Audio AV32s are probably ok and they're like 80 bucks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LSR305's are not a good choice if you want to preserve space on a cramped desk though.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
How are these Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD1PTF0

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They'll make some semblance of sound.

I think that's the most positive description I can give of any Bose product.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JFC posted:

How are these Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD1PTF0

Wouldn't the AC-powered Amazon-basic speakers probably be somewhere in the same ballpark, loudness/quality wise?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Hahha, ok. Just curious.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Any good budget options for listening to spotify over wifi in a medium sized room?

Seems like google chromecast audio makes the most sense, and then I just have to decide between studio monitors, a t-amp and bookshelf speakers, or an old stereo amp and bookshelf speakers. Budget is $100 I guess?

Asking in here since it's pretty close to a PC setup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Any good budget options for listening to spotify over wifi in a medium sized room?

Seems like google chromecast audio makes the most sense, and then I just have to decide between studio monitors, a t-amp and bookshelf speakers, or an old stereo amp and bookshelf speakers. Budget is $100 I guess?

Asking in here since it's pretty close to a PC setup

That's not much at all. A Chromecast Audio is $35 on its own, so you're pretty much just limited to craigslist and yard sales from that point forward.

Fortunately, you can still totally cobble together a crackerjack setup for that much!

Check it:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/5402021650.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/5403541097.html

And you can deffo do much better bang/buck-wise if you're in the right place at the right time and know your poo poo. Goons ITT have seen gear that goes for $1k easy on eBay end up in people's trash or sitting on a yardsale tarp with a ":10bux:" sign.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a recommendation for a USB DAC and amp since my old one just broke. The only dealbreaker is I want it to have some kind of analog volume control so I can turn the knob or w/e and control the volume. Price range is flexible but I'm hoping to spend in the ~$100 range but I can go higher if necessary. Will be used with sennheiser hd598 and a cheap computer speaker system.

Edit: Whoops, just found the audio questions thread.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Anyone know of decent budget speakers, like under $50? I need some speakers for my desktop and I'm not an audiophile or anything, just going to use them for gaming and watching youtube videos, have a different set up on my main tv for music and movies in the living room.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I just replaced my Z-5500s with LSR305s and now I'm getting a background hum. It only happens when in a game at 100+ FPS (like I can move the frame cap slider in Diablo 3 and eliminate it) and it happens both through onboard sound and a FIIO USB DAC, although it's a different hum betwen the two sound cards.

I had the same problem with a bass amp hooked up to my PC and an Ebtech Hum-X fixed it. Is there a better solution here? The PC has an optical out -- maybe a preamp with an optical in or something? All I really need is a line level out. I don't know what's out there and don't want to spend more than maybe $100.

KS fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 25, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ace of Baes posted:

Anyone know of decent budget speakers, like under $50? I need some speakers for my desktop and I'm not an audiophile or anything, just going to use them for gaming and watching youtube videos, have a different set up on my main tv for music and movies in the living room.

Just ultra-basic stuff? Get whichever Logitech speakers you can find at that price. Amazon usually has a couple of different sets on sale.

But honestly, for $50 and with gaming in mind, I'd much rather get a set of headphones. You'll get MUCH better sound quality at that price point than you would from a set of speakers.

I highly recommend these, they'll blow away any set of PC speakers for sound quality, let alone $50 PC speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...rdynamic+dt-231

KS posted:

I just replaced my Z-5500s with LSR305s and now I'm getting a background hum. It only happens when in a game at 100+ FPS (like I can move the frame cap slider in Diablo 3 and eliminate it) and it happens both through onboard sound and a FIIO USB DAC, although it's a different hum betwen the two sound cards.

I had the same problem with a bass amp hooked up to my PC and an Ebtech Hum-X fixed it. Is there a better solution here? The PC has an optical out -- maybe a preamp with an optical in or something? All I really need is a line level out. I don't know what's out there and don't want to spend more than maybe $100.

I had the same issue with my PC. Getting a FiiO D03K and going to optical solved the issue.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KozmoNaut posted:

I had the same issue with my PC. Getting a FiiO D03K and going to optical solved the issue.

Cool, thanks. Ordered one.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KS posted:

Cool, thanks. Ordered one.

Got one. Worked beautifully. Thanks again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Awesome, I'm glad it solved your problem.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I have a set of Insignia 2.1 speakers that seem to be crapping out on me. There's no sound from the left speaker, and the volume sensitivity jumps around (the first 1/4th rotation on the volume nob hardly increases the volume, and then at a certain point the volume spikes and become very loud very quickly). I checked all the connections and tried different audio jacks/devices, and it wasn't that. Would there be anything else to try, or should I look into buying a new set?

In terms of new speakers, what's good on a computer desk? I play a lot of games/watch movies/listen to music almost exclusively on my PC, so a good set of speakers is important to me (I already have a pair of headphones, but I'd like a good set of speakers, too). This $30 set of Insignias has served me pretty well, but I'd be willing to go higher than that for a very reliable, high quality set of speakers. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a 3.1 set (if they even make those for home PC?) either.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
How high is your budget? Speaker prices can go up pretty quickly. Some decent monitors will run you $220-400 depending on what you get. If your budget is in the $50 range, your best bet would probably be some budget logitech stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Check out Craigslist for used receivers and bookshelf speakers?

Also remember that you generally get what you pay for, so if you can afford it, it might be worth putting some more money into something that'll last you more than a few years.