Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So in Tripping the Rift season 1 there's an episode where two characters are fighting over one gun on a teleporter stage. The gun gets dropped and the ship teleports it out saying "This one's for you, Michael Moore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I think this all started because I called Star Wars a children's movie

It all started when you got all holier than thou about people discussing the movie because it's a 'children's movie'. Nobody cares about people pointing out that the movie isn't high art, it was just the way you went all :spergin: about other people caring to discuss it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Talk away, but save the aspergers smile for when it actually applies

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you guys would like, I can take my Aspergers self and leave you guys to talk in depth about Star Wars in peace

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Professor Shark posted:

If you guys would like, I can take my Aspergers self and leave you guys to talk in depth about Star Wars in peace

Or you can stay and stop being a sanctimonious twat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ you guys are sensitive, are we on the same forum? :psyduck:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Please do, and if you didn't keep coming back to get the last word in we would've moved on by now, god drat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol you can have the last word following this post if you want, god drat :rolleyes:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I liked having an antagonist who is driven by his emotions. It shows us that the Dark Side is, ultimately, petty.

E: Kind of a snype? I don't know. I just wanted to talk about the Star War.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

lol you can have the last word following this post if you want, god drat :rolleyes:

ok thanks, it's mine now.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
movies are bad ,imo

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You're wrong, and furthermore

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Monkey posted:

ok thanks, it's mine now.

oldpainless swoops in and steals the glory

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

oldpainless swoops in and steals the glory

:negative:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You guys are terrible. Thanks

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

True, he only had to pull the trigger at the right time when Rey lined up the shot, but wasn't that because the turret malfunctioned? Maybe I'm not remembering that part right. Anyway, didn't he do much better than could be expected with Poe? It's natural he needed to be coached with regards to the controls and stuff, but (again, unless I'm not recalling correctly) he made a lot of really tricky shots that would be difficult for even an experienced gunner.

Anyway, just wanted some confirmation I wasn't just imagining things.

he wasn't doing a very good job of shooting before getting his turret damaged. (maybe i'm misremembering and it gets damaged sooner than i think.) but even with poe a stormtrooper needed to be taught how to fight in a tie fighter by a rebel that doesn't scream competence to me even if he isn't a jar-jaresque bafoon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What kind of struck me about Finn is that he was able to wound a loving Skywalker in a lightsaber battle. Like people use that to complain about Kylo Ren being a chump but seriously it was like Finn's second time holding a lightsaber gently caress.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Elfgames posted:

he wasn't doing a very good job of shooting before getting his turret damaged. (maybe i'm misremembering and it gets damaged sooner than i think.) but even with poe a stormtrooper needed to be taught how to fight in a tie fighter by a rebel that doesn't scream competence to me even if he isn't a jar-jaresque bafoon.

He was a janitor, not a pilot. He'd never been in a tie before and in all likelyhood wouldn't have been trained in space combat.

Anyway, being unfamiliar with a complex military machine is not incompetence. Competence is getting minimal instructions "here's the shoot things button, here's what I need you to shoot" and then actually doing it.

Pretty sure he also like, never misses when using a regular old blaster on the ground. Maz's advice to him was lovely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
and to be fair He did shoot down one of the TIE F/O fighters pursuing them before the gun got jammed into the forwards position

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Marines aren't exactly going to be hopping into jets and knowing how to fire missiles and poo poo right off the bat. Why would he be any different?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In fact if the F35 has taught us anything marines don't know anything about planes at all.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Aphrodite posted:

In fact if the F35 has taught us anything marines don't know anything about planes at all.

Now I'm convinced some important marine meatball watched the re-releases in 1997, pointed to a X-Wing, and told LM to make it happen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

What kind of struck me about Finn is that he was able to wound a loving Skywalker in a lightsaber battle. Like people use that to complain about Kylo Ren being a chump but seriously it was like Finn's second time holding a lightsaber gently caress.

Well, Kylo did get himself shot by Chewie's bowcaster, which has been shown to be powerful enough to literally send dudes flying. Plus the earlier fight against the trooper with the shock baton implies that troopers probably get at least rudimentary instruction in using melee weapons. Last but not least, throw in a bit of good old-fashioned hubris and carelessness on Ren's part.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Well, Kylo did get himself shot by Chewie's bowcaster, which has been shown to be powerful enough to literally send dudes flying. Plus the earlier fight against the trooper with the shock baton implies that troopers probably get at least rudimentary instruction in using melee weapons. Last but not least, throw in a bit of good old-fashioned hubris and carelessness on Ren's part.

I cannot loving believe people are still having this conversation. I swear I've seen this explained on the Internet a hundred times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Were people so distracted by han's death that they didn't notice Ren get shot or something? Do they somehow think being shot shouldn't have affected his performance when he holds his side throughout the fight and even hits the wound a few times in frustration over the distraction?. People are getting real hung up over this easy to explain thing.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
There's two scenes earlier in the movie where they offhandedly mention how powerful the bowcaster is.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Goons are only good at seeing subtle things. The obvious? Waaaay over everyone's head

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Goons are only good at seeing subtle things. The obvious? Waaaay over everyone's head

I clicked the link in your sig, and that led me to the current prompt, which led me to this: https://twitter.com/thestrangelog

I can never thank you enough.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mazerunner posted:

He was a janitor, not a pilot. He'd never been in a tie before and in all likelyhood wouldn't have been trained in space combat.

Anyway, being unfamiliar with a complex military machine is not incompetence. Competence is getting minimal instructions "here's the shoot things button, here's what I need you to shoot" and then actually doing it.

Pretty sure he also like, never misses when using a regular old blaster on the ground. Maz's advice to him was lovely.

Was he really supposed to be a sanitation worker, though? I thought he was just bullshitting the other characters, who only knew that he worked there but not that he was a former storm trooper. I took it as him telling them whatever they wanted to hear as long as it gave him a better chance of getting inside. Why would they bring a trash man to go burn down and massacre a village? Do they tidy up afterwards?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Wild T posted:

Was he really supposed to be a sanitation worker, though? I thought he was just bullshitting the other characters, who only knew that he worked there but not that he was a former storm trooper. I took it as him telling them whatever they wanted to hear as long as it gave him a better chance of getting inside. Why would they bring a trash man to go burn down and massacre a village? Do they tidy up afterwards?

He flat out stated that it was his first combat situation and he was still a stormtrooper. Han asks him what he was doing when he was stationed at Starkiller base and Finn replies "Sanitation". In other words, he was completely green and got stuck with the bitch job because of it.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Wild T posted:

AFAIR at that point everyone knew who he was (which is why he's there, his knowledge of the shield system) and what we see in the beginning was his first combat mission. I just assumed the sanitation work was part of his military duties during training..

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andohz posted:

AFAIR at that point everyone knew who he was (which is why he's there, his knowledge of the shield system) and what we see in the beginning was his first combat mission. I just assumed the sanitation work was part of his military duties during training..

I honestly felt it was a reference to this SA article.
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/sanitation-death-star/1/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Han's response of "That's not how The Force works!" is possibly the best part of the film. He is just so cross!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captain McStabbin posted:

He flat out stated that it was his first combat situation and he was still a stormtrooper. Han asks him what he was doing when he was stationed at Starkiller base and Finn replies "Sanitation". In other words, he was completely green and got stuck with the bitch job because of it.

I assumed that "sanitation" could also have a different meaning. They were pretty clearly sanitizing that village at the beginning of the movie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Lotish posted:

Were people so distracted by han's death that they didn't notice Ren get shot or something? Do they somehow think being shot shouldn't have affected his performance when he holds his side throughout the fight and even hits the wound a few times in frustration over the distraction?. People are getting real hung up over this easy to explain thing.

I heard somewhere that him hitting the wound was supposed to be him revving up his dark side power, because pain and suffering leads to the dark side as well. If he's hitting it, he's causing more pain, which will help to strengthen his power. I thought that was an interesting take on it. When I watched it, I saw anger and frustration as well.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

I heard somewhere that him hitting the wound was supposed to be him revving up his dark side power, because pain and suffering leads to the dark side as well. If he's hitting it, he's causing more pain, which will help to strengthen his power. I thought that was an interesting take on it. When I watched it, I saw anger and frustration as well.

The same thing can work in real life, because it increases adrenaline. I've even heard the actor suggested it, because he knew about it from his military experience.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rydiafan posted:

The same thing can work in real life, because it increases adrenaline. I've even heard the actor suggested it, because he knew about it from his military experience.

It's also an unwise and desperate move to prevent yourself from going into shock for a little bit.
A gut shot with a bowcaster is no loving joke.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You know my one gripe leading up to TFA was Kylo's lightsaber. But looking back on his character it's kinda the kind of lightsaber he'd have.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MichiganCubbie posted:

You're over analyzing it. He was just trying to psych himself and ignore his pretty bad injury which wasnt really working but he is "badass wannabee" afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Han's response of "That's not how The Force works!" is possibly the best part of the film. He is just so cross!
I agree, partially because of how much it reminded me of this old Conan bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5XRsHh6vU

Cranky Ford is best Ford.

edit: bonus crank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpP7GfxGkCM

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Jan 10, 2016