Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm basically using ssh for remote admin and for sftp access to my synology nas via an nfs mount (synology don't have the best security track record)

nginx is used to reverse-proxy my domoticz installation, not sure how secure that is.

I guess I should probably install fail2ban :)

Also this is a pi2 which I thought was arm7? Is it worthwhile to run regular Debian? How quickly do debian security updates filter down to raspbian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
fail2ban + non-standard port for SSH + disable password/use keys is pretty much impenetrable unless you do something like post your key.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

37th Chamber posted:

fail2ban + non-standard port for SSH + disable password/use keys is pretty much impenetrable unless you do something like post your key.

This is basically the bedrock of the linode linux hardening guide.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've also got fail2ban with key file access only. No problems so far. I haven't changed port 22 because it's fun to view the logs and see the ever growing list of banned IP's.

I'm under the impression that the Pi2 is fully compatible with the Pi in terms of processing and chipset operation. I've not experienced any problems running Raspbian Wheezy or Jessie on both my Pi and Pi2: just try it out and you should be fine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

This is basically the bedrock of the linode linux hardening guide.

Hello, this is quite useful to me, thanks for mentioning it. I tell you, it may be a somewhat flawed device, but I feel like I've learned more with tinkering with this toy computer than I have since my DOS/Win95 gaming days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

37th Chamber posted:

Do this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Hello, this is quite useful to me, thanks for mentioning it. I tell you, it may be a somewhat flawed device, but I feel like I've learned more with tinkering with this toy computer than I have since my DOS/Win95 gaming days.

Here is the direct link, in case anyone was looking for it:

https://www.linode.com/docs/security/securing-your-server

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I'm thinking of moving Kodi from PC to my Pi2 since then it can also be a 24/7 dlna server, use less power and the living room PC can just be used for gaming.

To do this though. I'm going to need a USB soundcard with either co-ax or optical out and is capable of bitstreaming.

Somewhere I have a Terratec Aureon USB Mk2 which can't bitstream under Windows because apparently bitstreaming over USB is really hard or something.

Will this work in Linux, or any recommendations for a decent cheap USB soundcard that can bitstream and works on the pi? Alternatively any device that can extract the digital audio from HDMI and squirt it out of an optical or co-ax connector (or 6x RCA at a push)

Yes I know I should upgrade my Receiver to something more modern that supports HDMI but my DSP-AX2 is still a bloody good amp and it'd cost me a grand minimum to replace it with an equivalent with hdmi support.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lum posted:

So I'm thinking of moving Kodi from PC to my Pi2 since then it can also be a 24/7 dlna server, use less power and the living room PC can just be used for gaming.

To do this though. I'm going to need a USB soundcard with either co-ax or optical out and is capable of bitstreaming.

Somewhere I have a Terratec Aureon USB Mk2 which can't bitstream under Windows because apparently bitstreaming over USB is really hard or something.

Will this work in Linux, or any recommendations for a decent cheap USB soundcard that can bitstream and works on the pi? Alternatively any device that can extract the digital audio from HDMI and squirt it out of an optical or co-ax connector (or 6x RCA at a push)

Yes I know I should upgrade my Receiver to something more modern that supports HDMI but my DSP-AX2 is still a bloody good amp and it'd cost me a grand minimum to replace it with an equivalent with hdmi support.

What are the available drivers for that? It's probably not going to run on ARM, but could you run a Liva or a PC Engine ALIX on a Linux or (firewalled!) Win7 setup?

It sounds like you have a DAC/amp that you like, I would focus on making that work.

Alternately if it makes a good amp then get a DAC that can squirt optical/coax digital audio out. Maybe Fiio makes something you'd like. How many channels are you looking to push?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Terratec's website makes it sound like it's mainlined, so it should just work. Plug it in and see...

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Does anyone know if it's possible to run Excel off a Pi 2? I know people say it can run Windows 10 apps, but I've also heard that's marketing crap and it can run a single Metro-style app at a time. I am one of three people in the world that own a Windows phone, and I know there's a stripped down version of Excel available on it. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time since I have a week before I return to class and I want to make my time worthwhile.

I'm also extremely curious about opening my Pi 2 to the internet and attempting to get the Bittorrent Sync GUI accessible outside of my network. The previous posts were really informative but I'm still relatively new to Linux servers and might attempt another attempt at a server if I can get the security issues figured out. Is there any other reading someone would recommend? I'd prefer in English, not Linux acronym speak, if possible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

durtan posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to run Excel off a Pi 2? I know people say it can run Windows 10 apps, but I've also heard that's marketing crap and it can run a single Metro-style app at a time. I am one of three people in the world that own a Windows phone, and I know there's a stripped down version of Excel available on it. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time since I have a week before I return to class and I want to make my time worthwhile.

I'm also extremely curious about opening my Pi 2 to the internet and attempting to get the Bittorrent Sync GUI accessible outside of my network. The previous posts were really informative but I'm still relatively new to Linux servers and might attempt another attempt at a server if I can get the security issues figured out. Is there any other reading someone would recommend? I'd prefer in English, not Linux acronym speak, if possible.

Nope it only runs Windows 10 IoT apps which are not the same as Windows 10 Metro apps. IoT apps can have a UI that even sorta looks like Metro, but real Metro apps can't run on the Pi 2 Windows 10. Excel definitely is not an IoT app unfortunately.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just bought a Canakit Rapberry Pi 2 Complete Starter kit to make this magic mirror thing for my girlfriend for Valentines day so I will probably be in here complaining when it doesn't work.

Are there any particularly good effort posts on the Raspberry Pi/Pi 2 between the OP and now? A lot has happened in four years.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

Just bought a Canakit Rapberry Pi 2 Complete Starter kit to make this magic mirror thing for my girlfriend for Valentines day so I will probably be in here complaining when it doesn't work.

Hey I bought the same kit tuesday and I'll receive it today! :) Can't wait! But you know, I won't do that magic mirror for my GF because I'm not that good, just want the emulators on my TV with recalbox or RetroPie (don't know which one I'll go) :)

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hey I bought the same kit tuesday and I'll receive it today! :) Can't wait! But you know, I won't do that magic mirror for my GF because I'm not that good, just want the emulators on my TV with recalbox or RetroPie (don't know which one I'll go) :)

You might also check out Lakka.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Dem Bones posted:

You might also check out Lakka.

What I loved with recalbox is the embedded KODI for my random streaming needs, without much tweaking (I'm not Linux savvy).

Does Lakka provide easy media streaming?

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVV

Thanks, I'll take a look!

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 7, 2016

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

What I loved with recalbox is the embedded KODI for my random streaming needs, without much tweaking (I'm not Linux savvy).

Does Lakka provide easy media streaming?

Don't think so, yet. You should be able to dual-boot with e.g. NOOBS, though https://github.com/libretro/Lakka/wiki/Alternative-installation-methods

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Dem Bones posted:

Don't think so, yet. You should be able to dual-boot with e.g. NOOBS, though https://github.com/libretro/Lakka/wiki/Alternative-installation-methods

I have a question along these lines. I just booted Raspbian using NOOBS, and now I want to install something like OpenELEC and/or Retropie on the same SD card. It seems like they want me to extract ..something.. to the /os folder of my NOOBS install, but it only has like 90MB free after partitioning off the other ~28GB (which I can't access through Windows 7 right now).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

CarForumPoster posted:

Are there any particularly good effort posts on the Raspberry Pi/Pi 2 between the OP and now? A lot has happened in four years.

I took the byte_unixbench results I posted earlier in the thread and wrote a blog post about the performance differences between a Sun SPARCstation 20/61—which was hot poo poo in 1994—and the original RPi and RPi2. It was briefly popular last weekend with the Hacker News crowd.

The short version: The RPi is 7× as fast while the RPi2 is 17–42× depending on workload.

It also inspired me to actually get a SPARCstation 20 of my own, which turns out itself to have been a server at Sun! (Either that or whoever owned the system before set it up to claim to be a Sun system before scrapping it, to prank the next person to boot it.)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Got my Canakit Rapberry Pi 2 Complete Starter kit last night. The power supply was DOA. Emailed Canakit and had and answer within the hour and they ship me today a new one, no question asked.

The kit was neatly packaged and my Pi2 is now powered by my 2.0Amp phone charger. I hope it won't break anything while waiting for my new power supply.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It won't.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to set up a Pi remotely? Or am I basically stuck getting a monitor and usb keyboard/mouse?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you need a monitor to enable the serial port or enable ssh. After the first boot it can (and mine frequently do) go headless from there on out. In theory you could enable that stuff, then clone the SD card image.

The new Pi Zero allows you to program it via micro usb and is truly headless, but for whatever dumb reason, they don't include a true USB port* so you can't plug in any of the countless wifi usb nubs that work out of the box with the Pi.

*The nubs will work if you use an $3 adapter cable, but that's dumb, there's plenty of room on the board for a regular USB port

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah you can, should connect to wired ethernet with an ssh server running automatically.

The DietPi distro also allows you to specify a wireless network in a text file on the SD card to automatically try and connect.

The UART pins can be accessed with a cheap ($2) USB-UART dongle for terminal access. Hit or miss on whether or not this is enabled by default in your distro of choice.

Adafruit also has some tools that I've been meaning to check out https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder

I've probably only connected a Pi to a monitor twice ever

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think Raspbian now has SSH enabled by default, so just hooking it up to your router long enough to config wireless should do you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a stream from my raspi's camera (specifically, the camera feed configured by octopi/octoprint, but I'm pretty sure that just set up the web stream in the background and does nothing out of the ordinary) that I would like to send to a server out in the wilds of the internet, and then have that server handle multiplexing the stream to multiple viewers. The goal would be to minimize the load on my home network and the pi itself, since it has other time-sensitive workloads to deal with, as well as keep my home network reasonably secure, while still allowing multiple viewers to stream from the webcam.

Any recommended google searches to get me started on this? So far I haven't turned up anything terribly useful. If the solution involves sending the stream to some service a la livestream or what have you, I am perfectly okay with that. My only requirement would be the option to embed it in a web page, but even that is a soft requirement.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In Raspbian I've been able to connect to the serial port without any configuration on a fresh install. I really like the HC06 Bluetooth serial dongle for this purpose.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Bad Munki posted:

I have a stream from my raspi's camera (specifically, the camera feed configured by octopi/octoprint, but I'm pretty sure that just set up the web stream in the background and does nothing out of the ordinary) that I would like to send to a server out in the wilds of the internet, and then have that server handle multiplexing the stream to multiple viewers. The goal would be to minimize the load on my home network and the pi itself, since it has other time-sensitive workloads to deal with, as well as keep my home network reasonably secure, while still allowing multiple viewers to stream from the webcam.

Any recommended google searches to get me started on this? So far I haven't turned up anything terribly useful. If the solution involves sending the stream to some service a la livestream or what have you, I am perfectly okay with that. My only requirement would be the option to embed it in a web page, but even that is a soft requirement.

Can you run a webserver on the Pi and a cron job to take a picture every ten seconds?

Mantle posted:

In Raspbian I've been able to connect to the serial port without any configuration on a fresh install. I really like the HC06 Bluetooth serial dongle for this purpose.

drat, that's a great idea to solve both my "not always having a router to connect to" and "not wanting to get off the couch" issues.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ante posted:

Can you run a webserver on the Pi and a cron job to take a picture every ten seconds?

The video stream is already available via web server, that's not a problem. However, I don't want to punch a hole in my network to make it accessible to the outside world at large, and I don't want to bog the pi/network down by having it serve up more than one stream. Hence the desire to have an external server access the stream (which I will make a very specific hole through the nat/firewall for) and then have that server multiplex to the general public through whatever mechanism.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ante posted:

Adafruit also has some tools that I've been meaning to check out https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder

I've probably only connected a Pi to a monitor twice ever

I've used the ada fruit tool before and it worked p well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think I figured out the solution to my remote webcam multiplexing issue. I mean, I found that the solution exists, now I just have to figure out how to apply it. Sounds like ffserver is the answer, it can take some number of ffmpeg streams and serve them up. From what I'm reading, an ffmpeg stream can be remote, so in theory, I can just have my pi talk to an online ffserver somewhere and that server will handle actually serving out the stream to viewers. I'll post a trip report if I ever get it working. :)

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I got a Pi2 for Christmas, it was one of those starter packs that included a LCD screen that I *think* is touchscreen as well, but I think I'm just going to sell that once I figure out what it is. I'm looking into using it to just play with sensors/cameras and just learn about how all that interacts. Eventually I'd like to learn more about putting together some neat little robot or some automated device just as a little hobby. I may have asked this here before but it was a while back and I don't recall what the responses were. Should I just pick up something like one of the following kits to start tinkering with since I have no clue what I want to start with?

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Starter-Kit-Breadboard-Compatible/dp/B00X5BVGZY/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452458765&sr=1-21
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Se...N8F6MGC56F05QSS
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Pr...N8F6MGC56F05QSS

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yup, newest version of Raspbian has ssh enabled by default. Plugged it into my router and was good to go.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

I think I figured out the solution to my remote webcam multiplexing issue. I mean, I found that the solution exists, now I just have to figure out how to apply it. Sounds like ffserver is the answer, it can take some number of ffmpeg streams and serve them up. From what I'm reading, an ffmpeg stream can be remote, so in theory, I can just have my pi talk to an online ffserver somewhere and that server will handle actually serving out the stream to viewers. I'll post a trip report if I ever get it working. :)

have you looked at red5 server?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheresaJayne posted:

have you looked at red5 server?

No, but I will now, thanks.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Anyone use their rpi for openhab/home automation? I just got my z-wave stick and raspbee. I'm hopefully going to replace my smarthings hub with something a lot more customizable (and not dependent on an internet connection). Does anyone have any articles or guides for doing this? I've found quite a bit of info online but the zigbee support seems pretty lackluster, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get it all working as I want.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I run Domoticz on mine. Currently it's running z-wave light switches, milight bulbs and also an mce usb dongle for a convoluted hack that lets me control the bulbs from my logitech harmony remote.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just got to take over a pretty cool little project at work - setting up a few Pis on monitors to display live metrics data and status updates from our internal systems.

My boss then directed me to a drawer full of Pis that I get to play with. :getin:

Guess I'll be reading this thread front to back pretty soon!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I hope you don't work with IT systems, because yikes. Plugging tons of digital meters into Pi's owns tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I hope you don't work with IT systems, because yikes. Plugging tons of digital meters into Pi's owns tho.

It's for my NOC team.

I already have something rudimentary to work with. We're building out some Grafana dashboards that the Pis will output to the TVs and then rotate through every several seconds. Stuff like system load, open production issues, overall server cluster health, that sort of high-level junk.

We already do something similar for the sales/care teams that shows things like current wait time and calls in queue. It's just nice to have quick info up on the wall for people to see and go "hey, looks like everything's OK/bad!"