Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Newlamog is a staple in a bunch of decks that may be about to get significantly better so that's not too weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is Glimmervoid in something other than Affinity? One of the Eldrazi variants? Ulamog is a mythic in demand now, doesn't seem so odd. Annoyed I can't finish my Inquisition set though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Newlamog is a staple in a bunch of decks that may be about to get significantly better so that's not too weird.

And for a powerhouse 2 of mythic 24 bucks isn't a huge cost.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is Glimmervoid in something other than Affinity? One of the Eldrazi variants? Ulamog is a mythic in demand now, doesn't seem so odd. Annoyed I can't finish my Inquisition set though.

Glimmervoid is a 4 of in a tier 1 deck. Not surprising in any way.

Ulamog is not only in like 2 different Modern decks, ramp is poised to be a tier 1 deck in Standard with the tools from OGW.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I found it, the most retarded price spike of all

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/future-sight/delay

All off of potential use of processing while suspended, talk about speculative.

e: also conveniently called retard in french lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok I found it, the most retarded price spike of all

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/future-sight/delay

All off of potential use of processing while suspended, talk about speculative.

e: also conveniently called retard in french lol

I was going to make a joke about how this is retarded but you beat me to it.

Also wtf is there not allowed to be a reasonably -priced modern deck?

Ninja edit: Who wants to best like, Ashy Larry is the next one to spike?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

suicidesteve posted:

How much could it really cost to own all the ashy Larry's?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

4-of in Affinity and Lantern.

And Ulamog spike is pretty normal, its a standard card and people are getting ready to not open it up anymore, so it spikes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Last call for the MTGO PAUPER LEAGUE! We have a few decks for people to borrow so if you're interested, post in there by midnight-ish EST if you want to play!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I'm a little confused as to why Inkmoth hasn't jumped more, when it has only had one printing (whereas Glimmervoid has had 2) and it is a four of in infect and affinity whereas Glimmervoid is pretty regularly a 3-of in affinity.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

4-of in Affinity and Lantern.

And Ulamog spike is pretty normal, its a standard card and people are getting ready to not open it up anymore, so it spikes.

I'm at scg Charlotte open and it seems like every single tron player has at least 1, sometimes 2 ulamog in their deck. Tron keeps getting insane cards and is all over the place here today.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dehtraen posted:

I'm a little confused as to why Inkmoth hasn't jumped more, when it has only had one printing (whereas Glimmervoid has had 2) and it is a four of in infect and affinity whereas Glimmervoid is pretty regularly a 3-of in affinity.

Because you haven't bought them all out yet!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

☑ I am an rear end in a top hat.
☑ I have a lot of money to burn.
☐ I apply common sense to my investments.

Looks like it's time for me to play mtgfinance!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

☑ I am an rear end in a top hat.
☑ I have a lot of money to burn.
☐ I apply common sense to my investments.

Looks like it's time for me to play mtgfinance!

I'm telling you, Ashiok is the hot new spec. It will be $25 by March.

I don't even know if I'm kidding or not. I can't help but think I might be right about this, especially if UB Eldrazi is a real deck.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
I got to play the most wicked loving draft last night. Conspiracy/Time Spiral/New Phyrexia. Some guys who frequents my LGS bought a shitload of boosters for his birthday and hosted a $5 you-keep-the-cards draft of these three sets. It was loving bananas.

You know what's more fun than pulling Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Exploration in your packs? Being passed Fires of Yavimaya, Rout, and Vedalken Orrery. It was a good draft night.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

It was in a LOT of event decks and stuff.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
This thread whining #mtgfinance about things clearly not related to mtg finance is getting about as exhausting as arguing with mcmagic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tailfnz posted:

I got to play the most wicked loving draft last night. Conspiracy/Time Spiral/New Phyrexia. Some guys who frequents my LGS bought a shitload of boosters for his birthday and hosted a $5 you-keep-the-cards draft of these three sets. It was loving bananas.

You know what's more fun than pulling Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Exploration in your packs? Being passed Fires of Yavimaya, Rout, and Vedalken Orrery. It was a good draft night.

I wish I could get a chance to draft the decade+ of formats I missed when I first got away from the game. I also have a ton of loose Conspiracy packs and no one with whom to draft them :(

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Modern is that popular, anytime a deck is A. good/intersting/popular B. cheap people start moving in on it. Cards can be good or cheap generally but not both.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Something like 850ish people at the modern open in Charlotte today. Seems like lots of tron and affinity were running around. Shouldn't have played a deck weak to tron, went 6-3 with two of those losses to g/r tron, super frustrating to keep getting hit by t3 karn and t4 ugin. Had to be 7-2 to day 2.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

suicidesteve posted:

Mono-Green Aggro will usually run you sub-$120, if you don't care too much about being Tier-1 competitive. You may also just sweep FNMs with it because nobody expects to sit across the table from it, like I do from time to time. I certainly have more fun playing it than I do my Infect.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Something like 850ish people at the modern open in Charlotte today. Seems like lots of tron and affinity were running around. Shouldn't have played a deck weak to tron, went 6-3 with two of those losses to g/r tron, super frustrating to keep getting hit by t3 karn and t4 ugin. Had to be 7-2 to day 2.

The guy who is 9-0 is playing b/w tokens if that puts anything into perspective. Not exactly a deck that I feel is just super strong against tron or really a lot of the meta. He did get some pretty decent pairings past the 4th round and went against twin, which I feel is one of the decks best match ups. It helped that those matchups didn't draw cryptics and he drew champions, but that is just the way it goes sometimes.

Modern is just a crazy format.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A big flaming stink posted:

This thread whining #mtgfinance about things clearly not related to mtg finance is getting about as exhausting as arguing with mcmagic
-Someone who cares about #mtgfinance

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

The guy who is 9-0 is playing b/w tokens if that puts anything into perspective. Not exactly a deck that I feel is just super strong against tron or really a lot of the meta. He did get some pretty decent pairings past the 4th round and went against twin, which I feel is one of the decks best match ups. It helped that those matchups didn't draw cryptics and he drew champions, but that is just the way it goes sometimes.

Modern is just a crazy format.

B/W tokens could have game against Tron. Maindeck Quarters can get the job done, Thoughtseize early, typical artifact hate to stop their early game, buff at the right times to get around Pyroclasm. When I play tokens (Mardu version, with 1-of Crumble to Dust in the SB because I can) I have Quarter'd a tron piece and Sugically Extracted it out on numerous occasions. That usually gives you enough time before they can drop an O-Stone or Ugin.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Anyone have a marsh flats expidition on MODO? I need 1 more and I have tix/paper stuff for it. I will beat buylist prices for sure

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

-Someone who cares about #mtgfinance

The entire game was built on the notion of the cards being collectible with an uneven distribution, so it's kind of annoying when people who have been playing the game for years are surprised when the card that people were hoping would get reprinted didn't, so then people bought the card because they realized it wasn't going to get reprinted until MM17.

Like going "wtf" at the random legends cards that get bought out for poor speculative reasons is one thing, but if anyone was surprised by inquisition going up once it was confirmed to not be reprinted they must enjoy equally surprising events like the sun rising, politicians lying, and mcmagic misvaluing planeswalkers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'll admit I was skeptical about the ramp deck but who can say no to a deck where this is the top end of your "curve"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 11, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'll admit I was skeptical about the ramp deck but who can say no to a deck where this is the top end of your "curve"

Reckless Bushwacker will probably just push this version of ramp out of the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Reckless Bushwacker will probably just push this version of ramp out of the format.

Kozilek's Return is a card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Instant Speed, Colorless Pyroclasm is definitely something to always consider.

RG Tron probably becomes a lot stronger, and I'm sure RG Ramp will be a thing given the stupid amount of removal it has access to now in standard.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Annorax posted:

It's even worse on MTGO, Daze is a loving $30 card now on there.

Sidenote: Since I brought it up before and bring it up multiple times below: 4x Chain Lightning is .16tix or $50 in paper

Oh sure, I mean, different odd cards are more expensive on MTGO than paper, but on the whole most of the paper decks cost more. You need to add in costs like time/gas or shipping into the "Paper" price on MTGOgoldfish.

It looks like there are some decks that are playable on MTGO for $10 with some missing sideboard cards but in paper the spendy cards tend to be in the mainboard. Keep in mind, the guy I was replying to was asking "What the hell kind of pauper deck isn't going to be $10 to assemble from your store's commons/uncommons/tcgplayer anyways?" and I was responding that none of them are $10, especially when you're talking about paper. He's probably one of those guys who doesn't understand how powerful a common needs to be to be Pauper playable and thinks the format is filled with 10 cent cards :downs:

It's poo poo like: I probably spent around $60 on my burn deck, without Chain Lightning, to assemble it in paper but the same list is 23tix and it's not hard to find a better list for 6-12tix that's 5-0'ing leagues. I even managed to pick up cards like Lightning Bolt and Rift Bolt at below TCG-low, but that doesn't make up for literally every other card in the deck costing $0.10-$2.75 more in paper (plus shipping) (excluding Chain Lightning) than MTGO.

suicidesteve posted:

Last call for the MTGO PAUPER LEAGUE! We have a few decks for people to borrow so if you're interested, post in there by midnight-ish EST if you want to play!

Damnit. Hopefully you guys will do another one I can get in on.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 10, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Auriok champion $70.

Edit: single printing 3rd set rare from 300 years ago

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 10, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is that SCG B/W Token deck playing them or is this also just random?

Edit: Is this is the same list he's using at the Open today then it runs 3x: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32013_WB-Tokens-In-Modern.html

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Is that SCG B/W Token deck playing them or is this also just random?

Edit: Is this is the same list he's using at the Open today then it runs 3x: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32013_WB-Tokens-In-Modern.html

Its not the same list because his sideboard is just b/w.

I have actually watched an MTGO streamer from the UK stream b/w tokens and it looked really good sometimes and really poo poo others. It looks like Cho's list is pretty similar although its only what I can tell by his games because he doesn't have the list available for what he is playing now.

Basically

4x bitterblossom
4x procession
4x lingering souls
4x Auriok champion
4x path
Hand distruption + random black removal
4x Intangible Virtue
2x sorin
2x gideon

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

Damnit. Hopefully you guys will do another one I can get in on.

You've still got a little time but be quick about it!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

Like going "wtf" at the random legends cards that get bought out for poor speculative reasons is one thing, but if anyone was surprised by inquisition going up once it was confirmed to not be reprinted they must enjoy equally surprising events like the sun rising, politicians lying, and mcmagic misvaluing planeswalkers.

Nah, I wasn't surprised.

The magnitude of the increase combined with cards having annoyingly persistent price memory, though? It's just depressing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Its not the same list because his sideboard is just b/w.

I have actually watched an MTGO streamer from the UK stream b/w tokens and it looked really good sometimes and really poo poo others. It looks like Cho's list is pretty similar although its only what I can tell by his games because he doesn't have the list available for what he is playing now.

Basically

4x bitterblossom
4x procession
4x lingering souls
4x Auriok champion
4x path
Hand distruption + random black removal
4x Intangible Virtue
2x sorin
2x gideon

The disruption seems to be IoK, TS, and Duress at least 2x each (though some of it is in sb). He also has 4x path and I think 2x Murderous Cut in main. He's also running Windbrisk Heights, and I think 4x Gideon instead of 2.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
What worries me is I am picking this game up pretty recently, so I missed out on all of these cards having ever been cheap when they first came out. I take my budget decks to modern or standard nights and end up getting wrecked by people with full, expensive pro decks. This seems like a big problem for new players like me.

As an example, Affinity looks cool, but now with even more parts spiraling up in cost its getting harder and harder to build even a locally competitive yet affordable deck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chairman Pow! posted:

What worries me is I am picking this game up pretty recently, so I missed out on all of these cards having ever been cheap when they first came out. I take my budget decks to modern or standard nights and end up getting wrecked by people with full, expensive pro decks. This seems like a big problem for new players like me.

As an example, Affinity looks cool, but now with even more parts spiraling up in cost its getting harder and harder to build even a locally competitive yet affordable deck.

This is 225 bucks: Soul Sisters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Chairman Pow! posted:

Modern card prices fluctuate, some of the cards in affinity are cheaper than they were a year or so ago, others not so. Pick a deck that you like the look of and pick up all the cheaper bits through trades and play the long game with the expensive bits as most things will be reprinted eventually.

• Locked thread