Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bondster
May 6, 2007

So Lucy and Brandish were supposed to be the same age as kids, yet after the seven year timeskip they look exactly the same?

Sure thing there Mashima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
this manga really is just a 468 chapter exercise for mashima in drawing one-handed isn't it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bondster posted:

So Lucy and Brandish were supposed to be the same age as kids, yet after the seven year timeskip they look exactly the same?

Sure thing there Mashima

I don't think Mashima remembers the time skip.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think Mashima remembers the time skip.

Either of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Either of them.

Wait what

There were two?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bondster posted:

Sure thing there Mashima

Brandish looks somewhat older to me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wait what

There were two?

Yeah, the 7 (I think????) year one during the Fairy Tail Island Exams.

Then one right before this arc for 1 year after the disbanding of Fairy Tail.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Brandish does look older despite the anime age effect tho.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

this manga really is just a 468 chapter exercise for mashima in drawing one-handed isn't it

Draw with two, observe with none.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Aquarius is still an rear end in a top hat, I see.

Fairy Tail has always been pretty bad about the easily forgiven thing, but Brandish strikes me as an especially bad case. She hated Lucy for something that wasn't remotely Lucy's fault, forcing Lucy to get in the bath with her was super creepy, she treated her subordinate like crap for pretty much no apparent reason, and she worked for Zeref. Yet now she and Lucy are best friends?

Forgiveness creep in fairy tail is like power creep in toriko. There is no stopping that runaway train.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

What's amazing is how Brandish, a chick first established as someone so powerful that she could easily wipe the floor with everyone on the mission to rescue Makarov, is completely subservient to Aquarius.

Oh no wait it's not amazing at all.

Aquarius was her childhood "friend" she's traumatized.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did Brandish even do anything to Lucy? She slaughtered civilians, but fairy tail doesn't care about civilians.

And yeah I don't think Mashima concerns himself with the timeskip.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Did Brandish even do anything to Lucy? She slaughtered civilians, but fairy tail doesn't care about civilians.

And yeah I don't think Mashima concerns himself with the timeskip.

If there's tension between a plot device and Mashima being able to draw a rocking pair of titties only one is going out the window.

Guess which one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Is that really how they're written? They don't care about property damage, but I thought they'd always had a fair amount of concern for civilian lives.

And I don't actually remember Brandish killing anyone personally.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't think she did anything really. Even when they first encountered her, she was pretty cool about things. Getting rid of creepo, giving them a stern warning and letting them go.
Then when they invaded she was more preoccupied with sitting in a bathtub.

Having her turn good isn't that big of a thing really. Especially compared to people like Gayeel who crucified innocent people.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She was a lot more talk than walk and it was likely for the sake of this resolution.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulderman posted:

I don't think she did anything really. Even when they first encountered her, she was pretty cool about things. Getting rid of creepo, giving them a stern warning and letting them go.

Having her turn good isn't that big of a thing really. Especially compared to people like Gayeel who crucified innocent people.

Gajeel didn't crucify anyone. He semi-Tree of Woed them. It was all about contemplating the riddle of iron.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gajeel is just from a different, past culture that hits on women by nailing them to trees. You just don't understand the beliefs of his now extinct tribe. Just like I don't even understand how the loving door of plot device / 8th time skip interact. I mean kinda weird that second and third generation dragonslayers came about like, centuries after dragons ... something? Extinct? Someone make some loving charts for me.

I thought bath tub lady obliterated all of the townsfolk in that resort? Just squelched like ten thousand people right there and laughed about it? Maybe I misread the chapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Gajeel is just from a different, past culture that hits on women by nailing them to trees. You just don't understand the beliefs of his now extinct tribe. Just like I don't even understand how the loving door of plot device / 8th time skip interact. I mean kinda weird that second and third generation dragonslayers came about like, centuries after dragons ... something? Extinct? Someone make some loving charts for me.

I thought bath tub lady obliterated all of the townsfolk in that resort? Just squelched like ten thousand people right there and laughed about it? Maybe I misread the chapter.

She shrunk a dude and an island but that's about it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I actually reread that chapter recently and they were just stuck to the tree by braces which were nailed in. He still beat on all three of them though, which is pretty bad in itself.

God, Gajeel was a prick at the start, there's no way Mashima originally planned on him joining.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And now Gajeel is the best character.

So on second thought I shouldn't be too hard on Brandy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Mashima planned anything out.

Like, were people making that big of a deal out of dragonslayers at the start? Because apparently they're like time lost warriors of which there's like ... 5? In the whole world? Who hunt something no one has seen for ... uh, how long? Except Gildartz wasn't like "holy poo poo, a dragon!"

seriously how the gently caress does the time skip work. Why did the dragons disappear? God, loving fairy tail

And now Gajeel is the best character.
And his romance is the cutest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

So on second thought I shouldn't be too hard on Brandy.

Yeah, Mashima's had that covered for you since the first page she appeared in

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiderdrake posted:

seriously how the gently caress does the time skip work. Why did the dragons disappear? God, loving fairy tail

As the dragons were dying, 5 of them decided to join together and train 5 orphans with the power to one day defeat Acnologia, the dragon slaying dragonslayer. Later it turned out that they weren't yet powerful enough to defeat Acnologia and thus once again time skipped ahead 7 years. Following that they once again ran into a fight with dragons and, while able to finally do something, realized they were still too weak to actually really fight dragons, so they time skipped a year.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

It really is.

Gray and Juvia has pretty much felt like a one-sided obsession for most of the manga.
Ezra and Jellal is just weird a lot of the time.
Elfman and Evergreen is just an endless cycle of denial and I don't have time for that in my battle manga.
Natsu and Lucy or Lisanna is a non-entity because Natsu doesn't do romance.

Gajeel and Levy are actually cute together and capable of communication, which puts them leagues ahead of every other Fairy Tail romance except I guess maybe the two side characters who are married and have a kid together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Elfman and Evergreen are denying it any more.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I don't think Elfman and Evergreen are denying it any more.

Fairy Tail has gone the way of Naruto and Bleach for me in that I barely remember any minuscule and trivial details.

Or major details for that matter.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Gyges posted:

As the dragons were dying, 5 of them decided to join together and train 5 orphans with the power to one day defeat Acnologia, the dragon slaying dragonslayer. Later it turned out that they weren't yet powerful enough to defeat Acnologia and thus once again time skipped ahead 7 years. Following that they once again ran into a fight with dragons and, while able to finally do something, realized they were still too weak to actually really fight dragons, so they time skipped a year.
Wtf was weakening them?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wtf was weakening them?

The dragons? I believe Acnologia was killing them when they weren't getting killed by human mages. It's not really focused on other than the mention of the Fire King festival actually being the remembrance of Acnologia becoming so strong he actually turned into a dragon and kept on killing poo poo. There was also some schism within dragonkind over training dragon slayers which lead to some dragon on dragon violence.

I'm sure it's going to be explored more in depth since 400 years ago is when Zeref went crazy and disappeared, dragons disappeared, eclipse first happened and other major poo poo. Plus Lucy has an ancestor at the heart of it, so there's tits.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

It really is.
Gajeel and Levy are actually cute together and capable of communication, which puts them leagues ahead of every other Fairy Tail romance except I guess maybe the two side characters who are married and have a kid together.

I actually watched the anime which just ended the Tartaros arc. One of the last episodes had Gajeel singing about Levy. It was real cute.

Shoo bee do bop. :3:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

My favorite little bit about them so far, which might not be intentional at all. Was a few chapters ago when we saw everyone getting ready. We see a small glimpse of their beds and it looks like they have the same bedsheets.

It's a really subtle thing that doesn't rely on blatant fanservice or heavy handed imagery, so it might just be a coincidence, this being Fairy Tail and all but still.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wtf was weakening them?

there was starting to be less magic in the air so they were gonna time travel to when there would be more cause magic goes in cycles or some poo poo.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mulderman posted:

My favorite little bit about them so far, which might not be intentional at all. Was a few chapters ago when we saw everyone getting ready. We see a small glimpse of their beds and it looks like they have the same bedsheets.

It's a really subtle thing that doesn't rely on blatant fanservice or heavy handed imagery, so it might just be a coincidence, this being Fairy Tail and all but still.

The best part of that was the chapter ended with the start of the invasion by the Empire's army and the Spriggan Twelve, but all the internet gave a poo poo about was the possibility that the two had hooked up.

I want it to be that they just have the same style of blanket for one reason or another, if only because the frustration of shippers gets me off.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kuroyama posted:

The best part of that was the chapter ended with the start of the invasion by the Empire's army and the Spriggan Twelve, but all the internet gave a poo poo about was the possibility that the two had hooked up.

I want it to be that they just have the same style of blanket for one reason or another, if only because the frustration of shippers gets me off.

This is because Fairy Tail does not have much tension and we all knew they were coming.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

And it's surprising to see this kind of subtle stuff in Hiro's crazy fetish of the week series.
This whole invasion will end with a wet fart anyways, so why bother paying attention to it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I really liked the fact that there was very little delay between getting ready and the invasion. There wasn't any drawn out bullshit before the 12 ultra dudes come out. Natsu vs Zeref was cool but I really wanted more damage to Zeref (even if he was to heal himself later on), Natsu was channeling Might Gai.

Things went to poo poo as soon as Lucy was the centre of attention.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please do not be mean to my friend Lucy. I still have hope that maybe someday she will get to do something cool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Please do not be mean to my friend Lucy. I still have hope that maybe someday she will get to do something cool.

She got randomly turned into a fish for no reason, does that count

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Someday Lucy will be a main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Elfgames posted:

there was starting to be less magic in the air so they were gonna time travel to when there would be more cause magic goes in cycles or some poo poo.

Mashima's commentary on global warming

• Locked thread