Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm hyped for this game. Anything I should do to prepare for it? I literally can't wait and want to do anything I can to get myself ready by the time it launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Take time off from work.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

need a mod to replace the music during the bitterblack end boss w/ into free

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm hyped for this game. Anything I should do to prepare for it? I literally can't wait and want to do anything I can to get myself ready by the time it launches.

A good start would be to reign your expectations. The game is a rough diamond, and after a bit of an initial "wow" with the prologue and first couple encounters, it can seem to lose focus for a long time. Additionally, a lot of the "wow" factor is supposed to be in the action. So instead of high speed cinematics or something, you only have the potential for cinematic encounters, not a guarantee. It may be a while before the combat mechanics and visual design elements come together in one of "those" moments. That, combined with it sometimes taking a good while for the character classes to hit their stride means you kinda need to enjoy what you can get before the game suddenly surprises you with mixture of action and visual design. Once you get "that" moment, you'll understand how the game is trying to play out like a badass fantasy movie where you're acting as both the hero character and director.

So if prepare means anything, it should just be to give yourself enough time to let it sink in, and be ready to inject your own take on things. The plot in particular is very basic, and while the finer points aren't readily explained they're there. It can seem pretty lazy, the quest objectives in particular, but the perk is it gives you a lot of room to sort of write your character into the game world and come up with your own adventure, rather than strictly follow the "main" quest as the 'Arisen'.

Then you get into the Dark Arisen Bitterblack Isle content and it basically throws that second paragraph out the window and is non-stop gently caress rad dungeon crawling.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 9, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
also the parts of the plot that are really cool are literally all shoved in at the very end

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Blacktoll posted:

I don't care about the song.

:mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

also the parts of the plot that are really cool are literally all shoved in at the very end

To be fair, it'd kind of ruin a chunk of it if it were any earlier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blacktoll posted:

I don't care about the song.

I think you might be playing the wrong video game, friend :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No worries, they just need to drink some iodine and they'll be right as rain.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

You can now start preloading. 14GB download.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This game was up there with Dark Souls as one of the top gaming experiences I've ever had. The fights with the giant monsters always felt like such epic struggles, especially when coupled with the Sorcerers crazy as gently caress top tier spells that took up the entire screen.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Genocyber posted:

http://blog.gib.me/

Also dug into a lot of debug stuff for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

holy poo poo you're the gibbed guy

oh man i'm so excited if you get your hands on this you'll split it open like a coconut

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
No, gibbed is the gibbed guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Baiard posted:

No, gibbed is the gibbed guy.

Who has posted in this thread regularly no less.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I played a bit of dragon's dogma on ps3 a long time ago but don't remember anything and didn't get very far. I'm trying to wrap my head around stat growths and such, and it seems like if what I want is to be an assassin my best bet is to start as a fighter and become an assassin later? I'm trying to completely ignore anything that isn't just character math so it's still somewhat blind going in.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Fighter is good to get some melee skills but you'll probably want to spend a bit as a strider, too, since you'll learn some bow skills that will be handy for an assassin. don't worry too much about stat growth since its pretty much useless unless you still want to be grinding the online ur-dragon in a year.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

don't worry too much about stat growth since its pretty much useless

Just play whatever you want, worrying about what stats raise the most from leveling up is just min max stuff and there's never a need to do it when just playing the game normally.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Just play whatever you want, worrying about what stats raise the most from leveling up is just min max stuff and there's never a need to do it when just playing the game normally.

Hell yeah. This games is made just to play with whatever vocation you want. Min-max is something you do after you've exhausted all other options.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
What you should check out when planning your character are the augments. These work as passive skills that you unlock by reaching a certain level in any vocation, but unlike the usual skills, you can use augments with every other vocation. For example, if you want to play as an Assassin, you will have more attack than defense. By playing as a Warrior for a while, you unlock an augment that increases your defense and use that when you switch back to Assassin. Strider and Ranger have some augments that increase stamina, climbing and mobility, and archery, the Fighter has augments that improve blocking with a shield, and so on. So by unlocking the augments you give your final character a lot more versatility.

Notice that, at least in the original game, some augment descriptions are misleading, such as egression.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Augments

edit: Just realised that the Warrior's defense augment is available immediately as you first switch to that vocation. The rank 3 augment, however, is also pretty good for Assassins.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 9, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Max fighter, max strider, try warrior.
If you like Warrior, max it.
After that or if you don't like warrior, play assassin.

That will get you the best augments and extremely good/solid stats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Basically, you can try whatever you like- which is the whole point of being able to switch vocation just by changing weapons -but be wary that if you pick a color of vocation and stick with it, your stats are going to start being slanted toward it, which will make playing as other classes harder in the future.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Kiggles posted:

A good start would be to reign your expectations. The game is a rough diamond, and after a bit of an initial "wow" with the prologue and first couple encounters, it can seem to lose focus for a long time. Additionally, a lot of the "wow" factor is supposed to be in the action. So instead of high speed cinematics or something, you only have the potential for cinematic encounters, not a guarantee. It may be a while before the combat mechanics and visual design elements come together in one of "those" moments. That, combined with it sometimes taking a good while for the character classes to hit their stride means you kinda need to enjoy what you can get before the game suddenly surprises you with mixture of action and visual design. Once you get "that" moment, you'll understand how the game is trying to play out like a badass fantasy movie where you're acting as both the hero character and director.

So if prepare means anything, it should just be to give yourself enough time to let it sink in, and be ready to inject your own take on things. The plot in particular is very basic, and while the finer points aren't readily explained they're there. It can seem pretty lazy, the quest objectives in particular, but the perk is it gives you a lot of room to sort of write your character into the game world and come up with your own adventure, rather than strictly follow the "main" quest as the 'Arisen'.

Then you get into the Dark Arisen Bitterblack Isle content and it basically throws that second paragraph out the window and is non-stop gently caress rad dungeon crawling.

This is a good post.

Dragon's Dogma is a weird sort of game that resonates especially well with a particularly passionate (but mostly quiet) fandom.

The thing that really made the game click for me is how reactive the game is. Not in a tired YOUR CHOICES MATTER marketing way, but in the little ways you can dick around with your character, NPCs, monsters, and objects in the game. Just something as simple being able to pick up and throw objects and/or people is part of how DD sort of feels like a game, as in a toy you play with, tinker with, and gently caress about with. It's ~emergent gameplay~ is just charmingly different from other open world games. When a pawn jumped on an ogre and sent them both plummeting to the bottom floor of a dungeon, I knew I was playing something special.

Add to this the great music, the accidental charm of the East-Meets-West aesthetic, the hundreds of ways you can dress up and customize your character, the number of different classes, the flashy action combat, hiring random internet pawns and sending them back to their owners with lovely items if they're bad, collecting items like HARD BONE... it all just makes a really unique, fun package that's unexpectedly great while also being sorta janky.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Doesn't really get much cooler than A giant dragon swooping in and literally eating the subplot.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

This is a good post.

Dragon's Dogma is a weird sort of game that resonates especially well with a particularly passionate (but mostly quiet) fandom.

The thing that really made the game click for me is how reactive the game is. Not in a tired YOUR CHOICES MATTER marketing way, but in the little ways you can dick around with your character, NPCs, monsters, and objects in the game. Just something as simple being able to pick up and throw objects and/or people is part of how DD sort of feels like a game, as in a toy you play with, tinker with, and gently caress about with. It's ~emergent gameplay~ is just charmingly different from other open world games. When a pawn jumped on an ogre and sent them both plummeting to the bottom floor of a dungeon, I knew I was playing something special.

Add to this the great music, the accidental charm of the East-Meets-West aesthetic, the hundreds of ways you can dress up and customize your character, the number of different classes, the flashy action combat, hiring random internet pawns and sending them back to their owners with lovely items if they're bad, collecting items like HARD BONE... it all just makes a really unique, fun package that's unexpectedly great while also being sorta janky.

I think you hit the nail on the head. DD is amazing because it's very much a game, and tries very little to be anything else.
No "meaningful" plot.
No "innovative design"
None of that buzzword bullshit that fills modern game design.

The game starts with a deus ex machina, gives you a tiny tutorial, then lets you fly into free.

Imho when someone says "spectacle fighter" I think of DD. DMC is to me a technical fighter with a high skill cap and lots of focus on the combat from the input side of things. DD is pretty simple and 100% about output. It takes three buttons to set yourself on fire and jump on a Griffin to set it on fire. It takes one button to send a meteor shower down upon hapless goblins. And god drat does it look/feel rad.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

This game is good because you can romance a jester

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there going to be a new thread for the PC launch?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pentyne posted:

Is there going to be a new thread for the PC launch?

I'm currently working on the OP for one. I'll probably have thread up by Monday (I'll also post the link in this thread).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

This game is good because you can romance a jester

The best part of this is that I wasn't even aware there was a romance system and then there's a little thing involving your most romanced (or if you're not specifically trying, most interacted-with) NPC and suddenly shop keeper lady just shows up. It was great.

God I have the itch to play this so bad now. I've got it for the PS3, but it comes out next week anyway and unnngghhh...

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Saxophone posted:

The best part of this is that I wasn't even aware there was a romance system and then there's a little thing involving your most romanced (or if you're not specifically trying, most interacted-with) NPC and suddenly shop keeper lady just shows up. It was great.

God I have the itch to play this so bad now. I've got it for the PS3, but it comes out next week anyway and unnngghhh...

I've been wanting to scratch the itch. Would it really be such a bad thing to get it for ps3 now instead of waiting for next week....

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I've been wanting to scratch the itch. Would it really be such a bad thing to get it for ps3 now instead of waiting for next week....

get both :getin:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This.

But if you're gonna get one, get the PC version so they see the uptick in sales and give us a sequel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Saxophone posted:

This.

But if you're gonna get one, get the PC version so they see the uptick in sales and give us a sequel.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Saxophone posted:

my favourite source of internet outrage is all the people who burned through the game but maxed fournival's daughter because of the quest with her and who suddenly had a kid for their lover and were horribly confused

im not gonna game vocations or skill points but oyu loving know im gonna grind out a good romance for my first playthrough.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to romance Feste like I do every playthrough

finally got the game preordered, lets do this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i could never hook up with Feste even when i gave him the ring :(

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

lets hang out posted:

i could never hook up with Feste even when i gave him the ring :(

the secret is you have to get the other npc's you've maxed affinity with down, so just find them and draw your sword in front of them or throw them around a bunch

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Preload time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kieyen posted:

Preload time.

:neckbeard:

Captain Novolin posted:

my favourite source of internet outrage is all the people who burned through the game but maxed fournival's daughter because of the quest with her and who suddenly had a kid for their lover and were horribly confused

im not gonna game vocations or skill points but oyu loving know im gonna grind out a good romance for my first playthrough.

I was gonna go in blind, but I'm very happy somebody brought this up so I can avoid having a child bride.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

:neckbeard:

I was gonna go in blind, but I'm very happy somebody brought this up so I can avoid having a child bride.

Just FYI the court jester is the best beloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

With a few plot-related exceptions, I'm pretty sure you can romance literally any named NPC in the game. Like, meet J. Random Idjit who does nothing but wander the merchants' quarter to give the city the appearance of being crowded, give them presents until they get all blushy at the sight of you, and then bam! they are your love interest and the game will treat them as such in cutscenes.

The problem arises because of Capcom trying to give the player hella freedom. See, your player character can appear to be nearly any age from about eight to about eighty, so Capcom lets you romance, well, everyone with a name. This includes small children. I guess it could be mildly cute if you were playing an eight-year-old, but not so much when your Arisen is definitely in his thirties, agh.

They did adjust some (spoilery) issues with the romance system when they released Dark Arisen, but they left the child brides in. :gonk:

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Just FYI the court jester is the best beloved.

Well, fine, more Julien for me. :colbert:

• Locked thread