Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

buddhanc posted:

so if no one wins, then we get to do this again on Wednesday or what?

Well holy poo poo, looks like no one won. It's going to get crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
From this large user base, someone had to win it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oooh, actual big B billion.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Haha im calling in sick on wednesday if nobody won this poo poo, i had a disney world esque line all day in my little gas station all by my self today

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Official results should be out in an hour or two. So far California has announced no winners. The twitter rumor mill is spouting either winners or a roll over to $1.3B or $1.4B.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If there are no winners it will go over 1.5 B

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

It seems like even with several hundred million DB items this should be a trivial lookup for a computer? Why does it take 2+ hours to post a result?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the fact that there could be a 1.5B Powerball evidence that our economy is good enough that people are throwing away money on the lotto, or is it so terrible that people are hedging their bets and using it as a retirement fund? I'm guessing the latter.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wish they'd bump the ball numbers up to 90 so you could play ascii numbers. I wanna play 73-77-71-65-89-33.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Germstore posted:

I wish they'd bump the ball numbers up to 90 so you could play ascii numbers. I wanna play 73-77-71-65-89-33.

Idgi

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mods please change the title to Powerball is 1.5 billion dollars

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Oh whoops I forgot to play

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the fact that there could be a 1.5B Powerball evidence that our economy is good enough that people are throwing away money on the lotto, or is it so terrible that people are hedging their bets and using it as a retirement fund? I'm guessing the latter.

People are not good at math so don't try to model things on the assumption that they are

The zeitgeist is effectively a chimp brain

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Dude, who doesn't want a mansion, a jet, and a few tigers? Entree fee $2

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
Whenever I buy a lotto ticket, which is almost never, I strictly look only at the ratio of the odds of winning to the price and nothing more because anything else is stupid

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

henkman posted:

good news no one won

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
just wondering what i should spend my $1.5 billion on?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Chinatown posted:

good news no one won

you're getting trolled by a fake twitter account. they haven't announced winners yet.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

the black husserl posted:

you're getting trolled by a fake twitter account. they haven't announced winners yet.

lol drat im lame as hell

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

henkman posted:

Thanks to you the prize goes up

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Gf and i got two tickets each, one where you pick your numbers and one quick pick. We matched one white ball.

Even if it rolls over i dunno if ill bother trying on Wednesday, tonight it was kinda just a fun thing to do though.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
maybe it is taking so long to process from the amount of tickets bought?

it would be crazy if nobody wins this

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Hahahaha it's gonna be a 1 and a half billion loving dollar lottery, what a ridiculous country this is. If someone wins they will be more than 3 Mitt Romney's in wealth if they take the cash option.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I hope someone that bought like 500 bucks worth of tickets wins it so a bunch of stupid people will think that they should have spent more.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Hahahaha it's gonna be a 1 and a half billion loving dollar lottery, what a ridiculous country this is. If someone wins they will be more than 3 Mitt Romney's in wealth if they take the cash option.

meanwhile, considering the current market and various other reasons, this is just what this country needs. Some kid of hope.

2$ for a shot of HOPE! Get your HOPE here! 2 $ for some HOPE!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/686070633080471556

Says no winner.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Get hype

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Christ, I have to spend another 2 dollars.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

Gotta spend some to make some.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

MrChupon posted:

It seems like even with several hundred million DB items this should be a trivial lookup for a computer? Why does it take 2+ hours to post a result?

idk i'd guess there's all sorts of like security checks and confirmations they have to do

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

same but like probably $10.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
when the next time they pull that big sweet ball bucket out and round up the next numbers for 1.3BIG ONES

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
$1,300,000,000 Est. Cash $806,000,000

bound to get higher before wednesday

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

MrChupon posted:

Because the systems that run powerball are not a single computer system but rather independent ones for each state that need to be compiled by the Multi State Lottery.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

this one is real. see you next time, space cowboys.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
THESE ARE NOT THE DOORS OF A BILLIONAIRE RICHARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMUrB-Um1Y

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

We made a day of road tripping up to Idaho, standing in line with a crowd of people confused by the concept of 'a line', then drove back home. didn't win but it was fun. We wanted to spend the night in Lava Hot Springs while we were there, but the timing didn't work out, and driving up and back is probably a once a year thing, so next time we want to play we'll probably just ask someone in a lotto playing state to buy us a ticket and paypal them $2.

Good luck to everyone playing this Wednesday, looking forward to seeing something awful's first billionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can I join you? I got $4 for having the PowerBall Number.

nice thats 4 bucks back.

• Locked thread