Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Beeme posted:

I just got Sproggiwood. As a somewhat experienced roguelike player, should I jump straight into Savage?

From what most people have said that I've read, and my limited experience, yup. Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Lock posted:

From what most people have said that I've read, and my limited experience, yup. Absolutely.

I did that and am having a blast. Very fun. I like how it doesn't hold out on the fun. It doesn't give you a little bit of fun and makes promises of greater fun if you stick around. It's fun straight away. A couple of minutes in and I was throwing multiple bombs around and making huge explosions, killing many many jellies in the process. Also it's very cute. And I liked the swipe controls and UI in general. Good job madjackmcmad. :thumbsup:

I only wish there were a different slider for sound effects. Or that the music slider went further beyond 100? Essentially I want to better listen to the music without getting my eardrums pierced every time I smash a pot. I mean, come on, there's already one for music.

EDIT: Also, at least so far, all weapon and armor upgrades have felt substantial. I really like that. It's not very fun to get an upgrade that lets you be 2.5% more efficient.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 8, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Beeme posted:

I did that and am having a blast. Very fun. I like how it doesn't hold out on the fun. It doesn't give you a little bit of fun and makes promises of greater fun if you stick around. It's fun straight away. A couple of minutes in and I was throwing multiple bombs around and making huge explosions, killing many many jellies in the process. Also it's very cute. And I liked the swipe controls and UI in general. Good job madjackmcmad. :thumbsup:
Thank you. I'm glad you picked my good game over that lovely, lovely Dungeonmans.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Why doesn't anyone ever confuse us with the URR or Cogmind guys, madjack?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unormal posted:

I think the thread is saying its time for you to act like proper soulless corporations and begin mass murders mergers.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Unormal posted:

I'm a big fan of the homoerotic tension between you two.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if that system shock roguelike thing isn't ever turned into an actual game i'm going to be very sad. i love that sort of 'pixel textures on 3d models' look.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
There's no tension. :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I can't wait for the Qud and Dungeonmans lovechild, where I can roll a Truemans and develop the College of Qud.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unormal posted:

your games actually have gameplay, which saves anyone from confusing them with URR

if I played Cogmind and Caves of Qud going in blind and somebody told me they were made by the same person, just trying out different mechanics i might have believed them. of course, if someone told me Sproggiwood and CoQ were made by the same people in a similar blind test, i probably wouldn't

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nonsense, Qud and Sproggiwood are identical: Both involve dying horribly in a pit of slimes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

there is all the tension in the world

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I can't wait for the Qud and Dungeonmans lovechild, where I can roll a Truemans and develop the College of Qud.

Admired by Paingolins for carrying the Doubtstone for three moonrises.
Hated by Brigands for betting against gravity.
One look at his many thews and you will know why he gets free sandwiches at the Academy Deli.

Unormal posted:

:black101::love:Love is a battlefield:love::black101:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

roguelike dev love is a serious matter

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unormal posted:

this sort of thing is exactly why crawl devs stick to posting in their own thread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hieroglyphika is a pretty stylish-looking roguelike on Greenlight right now, with the interesting feature of having no text at all -- only pictograms (and numbers).

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hieroglyphika is a pretty stylish-looking roguelike on Greenlight right now, with the interesting feature of having no text at all -- only pictograms (and numbers).

proof that words are over:thumbsup:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

looks like the dev is Japanese, hopefully they do an english translation

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It seems like they won't need to.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nice. Dev comments it's probably gonna be around $5-10. Will absolutely take a look when it goes live, very pretty-looking thing.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

looks like the dev is Japanese, hopefully they do an english translation

:rimshot:

Looks fly as hell, though. Hope it has really good music, it could be very atmospheric.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

Unormal posted:

What we're trying to say is that you two should collab and make a game together. It cannot go wrong.

Speaking of which, I'm having a blast learning to program by making a roguelike

I'm also going to put this out there right now: It's going to be poo poo and that's okay

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bleu posted:

:rimshot:

Looks fly as hell, though. Hope it has really good music, it could be very atmospheric.

There's a trailer on the greenlight page. The music in that seems good.

e: Oh hey, it was greenlight today. Clearly, it was because of my post.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

IronicDongz posted:

It seems like they won't need to.

:henget:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
listen. its fine. I'm not owned!!!

By the way on the Nuclear Throne side of things, apparently the devs acquired thronebutt.com when it went down and now that they've moved servers they're getting the same guy to get it back working again for when dailies are unfucked. I'm real excited

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4pc_B8chs

Take a look at the first video of Roggle's gameplay, in which I play through the game's first depth. Development is pretty far along now, I'm going to start sharing it with videos more often. I use mouse controls in the video, but don't worry, full keyboard controls are already implemented.

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

Take a look at the first video of Roggle's gameplay, in which I play through the game's first depth. Development is pretty far along now, I'm going to start sharing it with videos more often. I use mouse controls in the video, but don't worry, full keyboard controls are already implemented.

This is looking very good. Seeing the "void" in motion is way better than the darkness you had before. Am I seeing enemies dripping because they are wet for a few turns after getting out of the water?

Also, the UI looks super comfortable and easy to work with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DeathBySpoon posted:

This is looking very nice.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my only criticism is if that's supposed to be dungeon level 1 it kind of looks more like overworld due to the multiple different environment tiles that get mashed together.

looks really good though

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Since last year, I've been working through my giant steam backlog. For 2015 I had a pool of games I wanted to play and rolled dice to dictate which games I had to finish. For 2016 I'm playing one game from each letter of the alphabet. I want to pick Caves of Qud to be my "C" game, but it's got no endgame, right? What would be a good milestone I could achieve in CoQ where I could cross it off the list and consider it equivalently beaten?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The game outright tells you when you've finished all the implemented content in the main quest. It's not easy to get that far, either - CoQ's storyline quests don't pull any punches.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

DeathBySpoon posted:

Want

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Nice. Very nice. I am really liking the UI design. Play action looks nice too.

Seconding Tin Tim's "want".

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 10, 2016

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I dunno if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm looking for more rogue-lite type games like binding of isaac or nuclear throne. I got kind of addicted to ziggurat which is an FPS roguelite thing, but I unlocked everything and kind of beat the hell out of it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you specifically liked Ziggurat a lot try tower of guns.

Less the fps vein but I also think Towerclimb is the best roguelite out there and I'm pretty bad and haven't gotten far.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dungeonmans feedback: is my cool warlord polearm supposed to not be able to do reach attacks? It still lets me use my Bannermans attacks and it hits enemies behind adjacent targets struck by it, just like any other polearm.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Replacing worms with spiders/neat enemies - amazing change.
Replacing nether worms with these cocksuckers -

Rude.

uPen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 10, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm looking for more rogue-lite type games like binding of isaac or nuclear throne. I got kind of addicted to ziggurat which is an FPS roguelite thing, but I unlocked everything and kind of beat the hell out of it.

Flamebreak is a really good isaac-like. I really hope the devs add more content in one way or another.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Does the new version of Sil still have molds? Worms and molds are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MrWillsauce posted:

Does the new version of Sil still have molds? Worms and molds are the worst.

Molds got replaced too, with Tanglethorn/Nightthorn/Madthorn.

All of which are infuriating but at least in theme!