Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
When I was a kid I called mashed potatoes "clouds." Because they are white and fluffy.

And tortellini soup was "ears" because it looked like a bowl of severed ears to me. My mom even adopted my weirdness, she'd be like "I'm making ears for dinner tonight" or "do you want any clouds on your plate?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Friend's daughter, 3. Points down a completely dark hallway and says to Dad "They're coming."

2 days later , same spot, she says "You can scare them away, Daddy."

Actually, I haven't got any messages from him for a few days..

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kevyn posted:

When I was a kid I called mashed potatoes "clouds." Because they are white and fluffy.

And tortellini soup was "ears" because it looked like a bowl of severed ears to me. My mom even adopted my weirdness, she'd be like "I'm making ears for dinner tonight" or "do you want any clouds on your plate?"

Most parents find themselves learning as many words from their kids as vice versa. Just easier than arguing with them.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Got to tell my almost-four-year old about death. She suggested I could have a new papa.

The next day, I mentioned I was sad.
"Now you have no papa and no grandma"
"Sweetie. That's not very nice."
"You only have a mama. When will you not have a mama?"
:gonk:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My kid is weird. Smart, but weird. Despite barely saying anything at 19 months with regularity, he knows how to navigate my iPad or iPhone to YouTube despite it being in different locations and folders on each, and click to his favorite shows. As long as it is unlocked. He also somehow plays clash of clans because I am always noticing gems missing.

I mentioned how he teabags me before, but another weird one is how I will take a piss and he will loving run from where ever he hears it and bash through the door, get next to the wall and the toilet, watch me pee in the toilet then look up at me with this craziest loving smile. I don't know what to think anymore.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kevyn posted:

And tortellini soup was "ears" because it looked like a bowl of severed ears to me

This reminds me a night when I was 9 or 10 where, after watching a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode, I declared that the waffle fries we had with dinner looked like skin grafts.

I'm not sure my past self was actually wrong.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
my son (age 3): momma, I have a a surprise for you!

the wife: for me?

son: yeah, but it's a secret, ok? you can't tell anyone about your surprise, which is a secret, ok?

the wife: ok, I won't tell anyone about my secret surprise

son: good. because if you tell anyone, I will hunt you down.

little kid is hardcore...

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

My 1 yr old son, having watched both my wife and me turn the XBone/TV off and on using voice commands now yells "OFF!" at anything with a large enough screen.

He does it in a slightly exasperated tone as well since my wife can't get the phrasing right sometimes or it doesn't recoginze her Jersey accent.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Colton posted:

my son (age 3): momma, I have a a surprise for you!

the wife: for me?

son: yeah, but it's a secret, ok? you can't tell anyone about your surprise, which is a secret, ok?

the wife: ok, I won't tell anyone about my secret surprise

son: good. because if you tell anyone, I will hunt you down.

little kid is hardcore...

So what was the surprise?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Spalec posted:

So what was the surprise?

hey, she promised she wouldn't tell! :mad:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
3-4-year-old at work tonight:

"When I big I gonna have a real gun.'

This was in response to me asking what he drew at the coloring table.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just remembered this: apparently when I was a preschooler, I kept asking my parents if I could go to "Egg-pit." I had only just started to figure out how to read and they soon realized that "Egg-pit" was how I interpreted the word "Egypt." Luckily for my parents there was a nearby museum with a bunch of Egyptian antiquities, which saved them an international trip.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Astrofig posted:

3-4-year-old at work tonight:

"When I big I gonna have a real gun.'

This was in response to me asking what he drew at the coloring table.

"I'm going to sacrifice you with a gun."
5 year old

"Sacrifice! Sacrifice! Sacrifice!"
Another 5 year old a few days earlier.

"All of the people [in Syria] are leaving their planet because everything there is blowing up."
4 year old

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

tribbledirigible posted:

My 1 yr old son, having watched both my wife and me turn the XBone/TV off and on using voice commands now yells "OFF!" at anything with a large enough screen.

He does it in a slightly exasperated tone as well since my wife can't get the phrasing right sometimes or it doesn't recoginze her Jersey accent.

We had some friends over watching football and they brought their two year old son along. The two year old got off the couch and our dog immediately jumped up and took his place, so we taught him to say "off" and point at the ground to make the dog jump off the couch.

He did, and the dog jumped off. The kid then proceeded to walk around the room sternly telling everybody "off" and pointing at the floor.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
it came from tumblr:

dakotaaaa posted:

my youngest sister was trying to express that someone died with her limited child vocabulary and what she finally said was “his ghost fell out”

its been loving me up all week

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

My 5 year old daughter last night: "You just got to get it wet and pray to God."

In reference to me trying to hang a window decoration with a very torn and ripped suction cup.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

it came from tumblr:

How does a child have the vocabulary and conceptual understanding to describe a ghost/spirit without knowing the word "dead" or at least a euphemism like "passed away?"

Or am I misreading the intention of the quote? (i.e. the girl is trying to explain the concept of death) Or am I too jaded by the stdh thread?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

How does a child have the vocabulary and conceptual understanding to describe a ghost/spirit without knowing the word "dead" or at least a euphemism like "passed away?"

Or am I misreading the intention of the quote? (i.e. the girl is trying to explain the concept of death) Or am I too jaded by the stdh thread?

Assuming the kid has a religious family, she'd probably have had death explained to her as the soul/spirit leaving the body, and from that it's not a huge leap to "his ghost fell out."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kids misinterpret religious stuff all the time. As a child, I was taken to some christmas or easter thing in church and they had a youth pastor who showed these cartoony pictures of Jesus entering Nazareth with the palm leaves and the donkey & all that, and there's an apostle or someone watching from a tree.

"Look at the monkey!" one of the kids yelled.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Keystoned posted:

Right this second im in the movie theatre bathroom with my five year old. The guy on the stall next to us has very loud gas and my son is losing his goddamn mind laughing like crazy. Every time the guy farts he goes into another bout of laughter.
I'm nearly 30 and I struggle keeping it together when people fart in the bathroom.

I can't imagine trying to keep some composure while a 5 year old also is also laughing.

Perceptopolis
Dec 13, 2009
Okay, I'm a teacher, I have a billion of these.

I taught third grade last year. Paper introductions:

Everybody has a birthday if they're born. Do you have a birthday? Well, I do!
Have you ever done something that almost killed yourself?
Have you ever almost drowned in a pool?
Have you ever almost died? I have, by a fleamarket.
Have you ever fell off your Tia's truck?

Paper Conclusions:

So I told my mom if I was a psychic but she said no one was and I was confused but I just flowed with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When I was a kid my mum tried to explain God to me and said something like 'He's a great power'. So naturally I assumed it was electricity.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Kids misinterpret religious stuff all the time.

So do adults.

Not something my son said, but something he did.

My wife has taken the kids up North for christmas with her parents, and due to a cyclone the weather has been really lovely up there. So most of their fun activities this year have been indoor stuff. They went to this place called "Monkey Business" I think it was, it's basically a big playground/kids entertainment complex indoors.

Our youngest loves the ball pit, which is fair enough, but our eldest who is 4 just wanted to dance. I was sent video of him grooving his little heart out on Facebook, and I'll be damned if he isn't really quite good. I have no idea where he learned any of that, (he was pulling hip-hop moves and some terribly cute faux breakdancing stuff) and he has the beat nailed down.

Blew me away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Assuming the kid has a religious family, she'd probably have had death explained to her as the soul/spirit leaving the body, and from that it's not a huge leap to "his ghost fell out."

Death in cartoons is also often depicted as a ghost leaving the body.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also X s on the eyes

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The other day my sister let her two daughters go out to play in the snow/slush while wearing boots, hats, and jackets over their pajamas. Ten minutes later the four year old comes back in the house with mud all over her pajama pants and says "by accident I had too much fun!"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've got a few from my youngest sister and cousin over the holidays:

The first few come courtesy of a map I managed to dig up when she was skeptical that most of the world was water. What you must know was that this's grandma's map, and was old enough to have the soviets and east and west germany, and one big korea. It's a really loving old map. Naturally, the first thing I noticed was it still said "USSR" over Russia.

:eng101: "Oh, this is a pretty old map, that says the soviet union, but that's all gone now."
:shobon: "All gone?"
:eng101: "Yep, all gone."
:shobon: "...Then it really IS full of water!"

It took me a few seconds to realise she'd made the jump from "there's lots of water" and "there's no more soviet union" to "the entire landmass of the soviet union has been replaced with water since this map was drawn" :3:

I also showed her the UK specifically. She' s only wee and she thinks that basically the entire rest of her family lives up with grandma like I do. We've told her they're not here, but I think she conceives of that like "They're off at the shops right now" and not "They're in different counties entirely for several months". But, one thing I often tell her is that my girlfriend's off "near scotland". So...

:v: "And up here's scotland!"
:aaaaa: "Is that where [your girlfriend]'s house lives?"

Finally, at the dinner table, she got really obsessed with the christmas candles, and demanded we turn the lights off. Grandma related how, during the blitz, candles were all they had when it got dark, which lead to us trying to explain the concept of WW2 to a toddler, especially since she's been told all my tank models have "telescopes" on them.

:smith: "There were some very bad people and there was a big fight all across the world"
:ohdear: "Even at my house..?!"

Then there's my cousin. He's a few years older than my sister, and has just started school. Naturally, I figured that'd be a good topic of conversation, but he told me he didn't go to school. At least until I had to go help him get his shoes on:

:ssh: "Spec, can I tell you a secret"
:confused: "...Sure?"
:ssh: "Promise you won't tell."
:confused: "Okay."
:sigh: "I do go to school really."

And then we had the trailer incident. The kid's obsessed with the new pixar film "The Good Dinosaur", so we all had to get youtube up and watch the trailer. When it starts, he starts shushing everyone, and we watch in rapt silence, and all go "Ooh" and "Aah!" at appropriate moments. Then, halfway through:

:colbert: "You do know it's all just drawings right?"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My son (20 months) has started talking. He knows some words, but not always the context. However, sometimes he gets it so spot on its crazy. He doesn't say " mom, dad, milk..." Whatever. We learned what words he can say the following ways:

One night, just before going to bed, my wife grabbed the iPad he was using to watch his videos. He looked at her and shouted "WHY!?"

Another night, he was happily watching some countin show or whatever on the iPad when he rips a loving full grown man sized fart. Without missing a beat he says "Uh-Oh!" Turns out it wasn't just gas.

He says other things that are crazy to us, like "what's this?" And "Apple" but doesn't communicate quite as much as we thought he would by now. I think it's because it's a dual language household. He's smart, he can navigate my iPad and iPhone from any screen, find YouTube in whatever folder I have it in, and find his shows. He also essentially skipped his crawling phase and went right to walking. Just doesn't speak coherently yet. He blabs a lot of gibberish though.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm not a parent, but maybe one of their first words "apple" or maybe "youtube" has something to do with it.

I just had the apple II and win 3.1/dos at age 6 or so. Kids these days.

I really like the phrase, "their ghost fell out" it's too bad it's impolite to use unless you are describing fictional characters, it definitely came from cartoons.

Quaint Quail Quilt has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jan 10, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

He says Apple because of a phonetics song. He calls balls apples, because Apple, and a ball sound the same to him I guess. He doesn't say YouTube though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Soulex posted:

He says Apple because of a phonetics song. He calls balls apples, because Apple, and a ball sound the same to him I guess. He doesn't say YouTube though.

Or because they're both round. An apple is a kind of ball.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seriously, like any alphabet toy or game for toddlers that doesn't restrict itself to animals for their pictures will use Apple for A. Probably because it's a common enough fruit that most kids will figure out what it is quickly.

Some time like 15 years ago or so, toy manufacturers discovered the X-Ray Fish (a fish whose bones are visible naturally) and thanked the stars that they had something else besides Xylophone to put on that letter. What's funny is my kid had some toys that instead of Quail for Q would have Quetzel, a South American bird, and every adult that looked at it would be like "what's a Quetzel??"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously, like any alphabet toy or game for toddlers that doesn't restrict itself to animals for their pictures will use Apple for A. Probably because it's a common enough fruit that most kids will figure out what it is quickly.

Some time like 15 years ago or so, toy manufacturers discovered the X-Ray Fish (a fish whose bones are visible naturally) and thanked the stars that they had something else besides Xylophone to put on that letter. What's funny is my kid had some toys that instead of Quail for Q would have Quetzel, a South American bird, and every adult that looked at it would be like "what's a Quetzel??"

A lot of ESL alphabet materials produced outside English-speaking countries will use a word that has X at the end, like fox. Occasionally, though, they just ignore it altogether.

I used to visit kindergartens in Japan on a bi-weekly basis to play English games with the midgets and one location had a beautiful alphabet chart with NO X ON IT. The kids would ask me where the X was and I would usually say it went to fight Iron Man or something. Luckily, when you have forty three-year-olds in a single room, the subject changes quickly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xenomorph.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Xenomorph.

For the record, I realize this is not from a real kids learning tool, but if it had been when my kid was of that age, my ex wife and I would have killed to have it for him. (we're both horror junkies)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Uncle Whiteyfats, why are you fat?" ~pause~ "Are you fat?" :kiddo: My then four year old nephew.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quote is not edit.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My daughter has on multiple occasions over the past few months stated that her favorite super hero is "Darth Vader!"

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Apparently, my 5 year old daughter overheard my watching Blazing Saddles last week, as she just came up to me and asked me to sing a "Good old n***** work song. "

Ooops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Axiem posted:

My daughter has on multiple occasions over the past few months stated that her favorite super hero is "Darth Vader!"

I was walking a coworker's 5 yo kid to the bathroom at work a few months ago and making small talk with her as we went down the hallway.
"What's your favorite animal?"
"A peacock."
:kimchi: