Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Half the chapters in dressrosa did not bring new and exciting developments

Maybe for you. The only places where it actually dragged was Zoro vs Pica and stalling out the finisher with Gear 4, which doesn't contribute anywhere near half of the arcs running time. The arc was fully of exciting or interesting moments constantly, with the two exceptions above being the outliers. It was a long arc, but to call half of it pointless or boring (which is what you're basically saying) is just completely disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There was probably a little bit of legitimate padding going on to make the big impact happen at issue 800, but it's fairly minor compared to the highs it delivered.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Rebecca's sub-plot?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Rebecca's sub-plot?

It was boring because Rebecca is terrible and from beginning to end I had no reason whatsoever to care about her, but at least Kyros was cool.

That said I did not like Dressrosa anyways. It introduced a million characters and focused on each of them, slowing the arc to a crawl, while removing half of the actual main character cast. It also stalled pretty badly during the Doflamingo fight, and turned a villain that once was actually interesting and menacing into a whiny, unlikable brat.

It had its highs: Franky vs Seņor Pink was awesome, God Usopp is the best, Gear Fourth is neat even if it is misused for more stalling, and I really hope we get to see more of Bartolomeo because he's fun, but the arc felt like Bleach otherwise (better-written, of course), a major focus on a bunch of people that appeared out of nowhere and I have no reason whatsoever to care about, while the "main characters" are ignored entirely. It pays off, but it makes the arc really drat boring.

Admittedly I didn't try to read it all at once instead of weekly, that apparently helps. Maybe I will at some point, for the time being I'm enjoying Zou far more.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
i liked rebecca and basically all of her subplot

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also like half those million characters are now part of Luffy's fleet.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I liked Gear Fourth, especially since Luffy needed that jump to contend with the titans of the series, I just hope he stumbles over some newfound mastery of it very soon and preferably offscreen. I don't need this "hero needs time to power up" poo poo to ever happen again. It being a staple of shonen doesn't mean it's any less annoying, and One Piece has previously done this a lot more creatively. Yes, we will always have to Wait For Goku, but I'd much rather have our hero stuck in between buildings in Water 7 or having his time wasted by an intelligent enemy rather than have him completely stomp Dofy, then lose his powers and gain them back at juuuuust the right moments. It's just not dramatic to me, I hear a voice in my head screaming, "Oda could have him come back at any time, this is all artificial drama".

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I ended up starting over. Three observations after 40 chapters:
- Fan translations are fuckin' painful. "TN: Baka means idiot" indeed. And stop saying ojousama, ffs.
- Man, Oda does some good crying faces. I actually, genuinely, felt feelings when Usopp dissolved his pirate band.
- The cool moments fall a bit flat, at least this early on. Likewise, the grand villainous reveals are kind of dumb. Probably related to the abominable translations, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I liked the arc but I think you could easily condense it to about 1/2 to 2/3 the length and not lose anything meaningful. There was a lot of bloat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think part of the difficulty in straight up dismissing stuff that occurred during the arc as not being meaningful is that Oda is Oda; the armada is the obvious one, but there's a ton of other stuff he might have showed here to use at a later date.

Reading it weekly was still draggy though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

I liked Gear Fourth, especially since Luffy needed that jump to contend with the titans of the series, I just hope he stumbles over some newfound mastery of it very soon and preferably offscreen. I don't need this "hero needs time to power up" poo poo to ever happen again. It being a staple of shonen doesn't mean it's any less annoying, and One Piece has previously done this a lot more creatively. Yes, we will always have to Wait For Goku, but I'd much rather have our hero stuck in between buildings in Water 7 or having his time wasted by an intelligent enemy rather than have him completely stomp Dofy, then lose his powers and gain them back at juuuuust the right moments. It's just not dramatic to me, I hear a voice in my head screaming, "Oda could have him come back at any time, this is all artificial drama".

I liked the use of Gear Second during Enies Lobby against Rob Lucci where it really strained and extended Luffy past his limits to compete with Lucci. You could really tell it was literally killing Luffy to keep up since it was already foreshadowed earlier in his first brief use of Gear Second against Blueno and made for legit real drama as the fight with Lucci reached its climax.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bobfly posted:

I ended up starting over. Three observations after 40 chapters:
- Fan translations are fuckin' painful. "TN: Baka means idiot" indeed. And stop saying ojousama, ffs.
- Man, Oda does some good crying faces. I actually, genuinely, felt feelings when Usopp dissolved his pirate band.
- The cool moments fall a bit flat, at least this early on. Likewise, the grand villainous reveals are kind of dumb. Probably related to the abominable translations, though.

Buy the cheapass omnibuses, One Piece is totally worth it and the translation only ever gets to the standard level of bad we've come to love in Impel Down.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The next omnibus will cover the entirety of Luffy vs. Lucci.

Three months til release, god drat it.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Last Celebration posted:

Buy the cheapass omnibuses, One Piece is totally worth it and the translation only ever gets to the standard level of bad we've come to love in Impel Down.

I do own a good 30 of those in Danish, but they're in storage, and buying them twice does seem slightly excessive. I remember the Danish translation as decently charming, actually, despite (I think) being translated via German.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Viz translation is pretty good, but there are a few odd translations of words. Why is the Polyglyph/Poneglyph spelt Ponegliff? What in the hell prompted that spelling? It's covered in glyphs, not gliffs.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Wasn't there a time someone used "Elbaph"?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So should we expect a new chapter at some point in the next few days or is it on break again this week?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

tsob posted:

So should we expect a new chapter at some point in the next few days or is it on break again this week?

I think the chapter we got last week is the one we should have gotten this week, but early. So I don't think there should be a chapter this week since we already got it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It'll be two weeks on Saturday since 811 was linked ITT, so I guess that makes sense.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah 811 dropped early. Check back here next week before you get the shakes.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Ever wonder how much Oda is making off One Piece?

According to this Kotaku article, around 26 million dollars per year.

I know One Piece probably won't be done for a while, but I can totally see Oda relaxing easy for the rest of his life once he is done.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Looking at his schedule and sleep hours, even if he finishes it, he won't be alive for long by that point to enjoy the money.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Lobster posted:

Looking at his schedule and sleep hours, even if he finishes it, he won't be alive for long by that point to enjoy the money.

And the amount of cigs he smokes, judging from the cigarette stubs on his desk in the photos of his work area.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

You want my treasure? You can have it! I left it all in...Chapter 1000.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Last Celebration posted:

You want my treasure? You can have it! I left it all in...Chapter 1000.

2 years from now? I don't expect the series to end until at least Chapter 1400.

Edit: vvv My bad, I mathed wrong. I still don't see it ending in less than a decade though.

jassa fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 8, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

jassa posted:

2 years from now? I don't expect the series to end until at least Chapter 1400.

Chapter 1000 is more like 4-5 years from now. Remember that a year is 52 weeks and then remove holidays and weeks off and such.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah we're getting something like 38 chapters a year.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

And the amount of cigs he smokes, judging from the cigarette stubs on his desk in the photos of his work area.

I wonder which story arcs drove him into his chronic smoking habits the most?

I bet something easy like the Davy Back Fights kept him a 5-packs-a-day guy but things like Dressrosa bumped him to twenty :clint:

EDIT: now I wanna see what carnival comic Oda would make running on an ounce of mary-j

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
With the creative works Japan puts out, it's hard to believe they're not on drugs.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

With the creative works Japan puts out, it's hard to believe they're not on drugs.

They are. It's amphetamines. It's like the one drug in Japan that's huge, and they don't talk about it. Mushrooms were legal for a long time too, so I think that really sums up the entire creative works of the country...... I never thought about it until now.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I don't think Adderall counts as a 'trippy' drug

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It does explain their output rate, though.
Aren't amphetamines also super illegal in Japan? IIRC even if you have a prescription for it if you travel into the country with any in your possession they'll throw you in jail. I guess that's why they don't talk about it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

They are. It's amphetamines. It's like the one drug in Japan that's huge, and they don't talk about it. Mushrooms were legal for a long time too, so I think that really sums up the entire creative works of the country...... I never thought about it until now.

I know Ketamine is apparently popular in Taiwan. Are Japanese people into K-holes or no?

And are there no psilocybin mushrooms in all of Japan?

And uh... I saw a movie where a Japanese teen was huffing glue fumes in a plastic bag, so I guess inhalants are a thing too?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Fortis posted:

It does explain their output rate, though.
Aren't amphetamines also super illegal in Japan? IIRC even if you have a prescription for it if you travel into the country with any in your possession they'll throw you in jail. I guess that's why they don't talk about it.

It's not the amphetamines that get them bent out of shape so much as the methamphetamine that was the problem child.

Japan created Crystal Meth before World War II kicked in and got the entire nation hooked on it since they had no idea what kind of fire they were playing with. Few years roll by and, oh hey, turns out they created a country-wide epidemic once the mental cases started piling up.

It took a massive effort to clean up shop in the early 50's. Walter White probably made most of his fortune from Japan alone behind-the-scenes

White Light fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Saw the preview for Gear 4. The transformation sequence they have going for it looks incredibly bad, but maybe it'll look better when it actually comes out. That stupid red tinge they have on it just ruins the effect of the form though

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
All of the animations/transformations in modern One Piece Anime are bad. Just look at the Zoro vs Pica "Fight", for example. Toei just doesn't care about putting effort into it anymore.

Also, I would like to point out how dumb and garish all of the colors have been throughout Dressrosa. Some of it is on Oda, like Green Hair Bart, Pink Hair Rebecca, but all of the colors on the family are UGLY, and for some reason, let's change Dolfy's cool Blue shades for red ones.

Tl;Dr: One Piece Anime character design sucks.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julias posted:

Pink Hair Rebecca

I kind of assumed Rebecca would be a redhead.

Reason.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

All of the animations/transformations in modern One Piece Anime are bad. Just look at the Zoro vs Pica "Fight", for example. Toei just doesn't care about putting effort into it anymore.

Also, I would like to point out how dumb and garish all of the colors have been throughout Dressrosa. Some of it is on Oda, like Green Hair Bart, Pink Hair Rebecca, but all of the colors on the family are UGLY, and for some reason, let's change Dolfy's cool Blue shades for red ones.

Tl;Dr: One Piece Anime character design sucks.

On the bright side, Doffy got his old pre-timeskip clothes/color scheme in a brief flashback with him first hearing about Luffy defeating Crocodile in the latest anime episode. I was surprised.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

On the bright side, Doffy got his old pre-timeskip clothes/color scheme in a brief flashback with him first hearing about Luffy defeating Crocodile in the latest anime episode. I was surprised.

That's good...but didn't he still have the Dressrosa design, including red shades, during the Law Flashback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

That's good...but didn't he still have the Dressrosa design, including red shades, during the Law Flashback?

I think so. :sigh:

Maybe Doffy was just feeling stylish when we saw him pre-timeskip?