Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Are you being written by him?

You're reading a lot more into it than what he said. He literally said "My answers aren't word of god, but <word of god statement>". I literally can't see another way to interpret that word of god statement than word of god in his own fanfic. It's not some sort of commentary on authors giving out word of god statements, he just took the opportunity to make one of his own while calling it slightly different, as he does in everything.

What I was confused about is that his statement literally only applies to his own fanfic because there's evidence against it in the actual books, so it's entirely besides the point as an answer to the question in the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Did she pull a George Lucas, though? I never kept up with her comments as an author, but the books themselves consistently defied that line of reasoning where magic was concerned.

I guess you can argue she did better than Lucas by restricting her genetics comments to her website and various interviews?

Tunicate posted:

Rowling's statements about this, from a fan site that collected them

Wizarding Genetics: More Complicated Than Mendel!

“A Squib is almost the opposite of a Muggle-born wizard: he or she is a non-magical person born to at least one magical parent. Squibs are rare; magic is a dominant and resilient gene.” – jkrowling.com

“How does a Muggle-born like Hermione develop magical abilities?”

“Nobody knows where magic comes from. It is like any other talent. Sometimes it seems to be inherited, but others are the only ones in their family who have the ability.” – Barnes and Noble interview, March 19, 1999

“How can two Muggles have a kid with magical powers?”

“It's the same as two black-haired people producing a redheaded child. Sometimes these things just happen, and no one really knows why!” – Online chat transcript, Scholastic.com, 3 February 2000

Magical inheritance as described in the books is clearly not Mendelian and requires either some sort of Trinucleotide repeat mutation mechanism or a more complicated multiple gene interaction as described on sugarquil. Either way requires more than a few hoops to jump through, and Rowling would have been better off saying 'its magic!' and leaving it at that.

Also red hair does not work that way! :bahgawd:

Don't worry, you can rest assured that Yud deals with magical genetics in the best, most logically consistent stupidest way possible when we finally revisit that plot point in 50 chapters.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 10, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
There's no good way to introduce magic as a genetic thing without immediately introducing a eugenics conversation. Just.... say it's magic and leave it at that

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug
An author could always flip the argument so that the pure blood families' magic weakens generation to generation while the muggle born magic that springs forth is strongest/purest. That way pure blood lines can inject more power into their lines by marrying muggle born wizards. That could provide an explanation for a descendant of Slytherin ending up as a near squib, and while you could still breed selectively to maximize power you'd have to be constantly looking outside the in group for people to strengthen the line.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Red Mike posted:

..What? So he was irritated by authors issuing Word of God statements, therefore he decided to issue a Word of God statement himself? I don't understand how that's in any way better.

The fact that he worded it as "opinion of god" rather than "word of god" is way more consistent with an author that ascribes to death of the author describing their own interpretation of their work while recognizing it's not the only one.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

reignonyourparade posted:

The fact that he worded it as "opinion of god" rather than "word of god" is way more consistent with an author that ascribes to death of the author describing their own interpretation of their work while recognizing it's not the only one.

That reminds me, he said he'd wait a year between finishing the series and writing the "X-Years-After" Epilogue, in order to let people write their own continuation fanfictions. We're pretty close to a year since HPMOR finished, aren't we?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

That reminds me, he said he'd wait a year between finishing the series and writing the "X-Years-After" Epilogue, in order to let people write their own continuation fanfictions. We're pretty close to a year since HPMOR finished, aren't we?

Oh god. Have people actually been producing hpmor continuation fanfics?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

Oh god. Have people actually been producing hpmor continuation fanfics?

What do you think?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Twenty-Two

quote:

"Do you swear, Harry?" said Dumbledore. His eyes gazed intently into Harry's. "Otherwise I cannot tell you."

"Yes," said Harry. "I swear." That was the trouble with being a Ravenclaw. You couldn't refuse an offer like that or your curiosity would eat you alive, and everyone else knew it.

I don’t think being a Ravenclaw requires you to proritise your curiosity above all risk-benefit analysis or just plain self-preservation at all times.

quote:

"And I swear in turn," said Dumbledore, "that what I am about to tell you is the truth."

Dumbledore opened the book, seemingly at random, and Harry leaned in to see.

"Do you see these notes," Dumbledore said in a voice so low it was almost a whisper, "written in the margins of the book?"

Harry squinted slightly. The yellowing pages seemed to be describing something called a potion of eagle's splendor, many of the ingredients being items that Harry didn't recognise at all and whose names didn't appear to derive from English. Scrawled in the margin was a handwritten annotation saying, I wonder what would happen if you used Thestral blood here instead of blueberries? and immediately beneath was a reply in different handwriting, You'd get sick for weeks and maybe die.

”Potion of eagle’s splendor” sounds more like the name of a potion in Dungeons & Dragons (TM) than the name of a Harry Potter potion. It sounds like it’d give you a bonus to Charisma or something.

quote:

"I see them," said Harry. "What about them?"

Dumbledore pointed to the second scrawl. "The ones in this handwriting," he said, still in that low voice, "were written by your mother. And the ones in this handwriting," moving his finger to indicate the first scrawl, "were written by me. I would turn myself invisible and sneak into her dorm room while she was sleeping. Lily thought one of her friends was writing them and they had the most amazing fights."

Wow. Sneaking into his adolescent students’ bedrooms at night while they were sleeping? This Dumbledore just keeps getting creepier and creepier.

quote:

That was the exact point at which Harry realised that the Headmaster of Hogwarts was, in fact, crazy.

Dumbledore was looking at him with a serious expression. "Do you understand the implications of what I have just told you, Harry?"

"Ehhh..." Harry said. His voice seemed to be stuck. "Sorry... I... not really..."

"Ah well," said Dumbledore, and sighed. "I suppose your cleverness has limits after all, then. Shall we all just pretend I didn't say anything?"

Harry rose from his chair, wearing a fixed smile. "Of course," Harry said. "You know it's actually getting rather late in the day and I'm a bit hungry, so I should be going down to dinner, really" and Harry made a beeline for the door.

Good move young Eliezarry. Run! Run for your life!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Snape's potion book is an established body of knowledge that has been modified and expanded on by theories and experimentation. It's pretty much the purest expression of scientific principles in the series, and big Yud changes it to Lily's book where she'd come up with hypotheses and then Dumbledore would sneak in and write down answer circumventing the need to test said hypotheses. Can't read anything deep into that...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That part (well, this whole Dumbledore conversation, really) never made a lot of sense to me. What is the implication? That Harry's mother was an idiot who needed the intervention of Dumbledore to not do dangerous experiments/get good grades in potions class?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine it says that actually getting to the answers by yourself doesn't matter when they're provided to you. Y'know, more antiscience 101.

Oh, and IIRC Eagle's Splendor is indeed a DnD charisma-boosting spell.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But it sounds like Dumbledore is the one writing the stupid questions in her book and she's writing the replies? I guess he's trying to get her to do some scientific experimentation?

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But it sounds like Dumbledore is the one writing the stupid questions in her book and she's writing the replies? Which makes even less sense.

It's this. Dumbledore's the one going 'What would happen if X', and she's the one drinking an experimental potion that nearly killed her. If anyone thinks this might be some sort of Chekov's gun or something, this entire bit is never mentioned again as far as I know.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh. So he was just trying to poison her. Makes sense now.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
On first reading I assumed the friend Dumbledore mentions was Snape, and that Dumbledore was admitting to purposefully sabotaging their relationship, but that was back before I knew anything about Yud so I assumed it had to have some kind of narrative purpose. Now that I know better I'm pretty sure the whole thing was just to set up a really lame pun in the next few lines and that's it.

Travenum
Mar 1, 2015

Isn't the implication that since Dumbledore could turn himself invisible, it was him who gave Harry the cloak?

I remember reading the first few chapters of HPMOR and giving up because all its cold logic seemed to drain the wonder and fun out of everything. I wasn't surprised when I later learned that Yudkowsky was the one who wrote the (infamous?) baby-eating aliens story.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Travenum posted:

Isn't the implication that since Dumbledore could turn himself invisible, it was him who gave Harry the cloak?

I remember reading the first few chapters of HPMOR and giving up because all its cold logic seemed to drain the wonder and fun out of everything. I wasn't surprised when I later learned that Yudkowsky was the one who wrote the (infamous?) baby-eating aliens story.

I quite liked the baby-eating aliens story, simply as an exercise in making aliens that seem alien rather than just rubber-forehead humans.

It also has its human characters as being pretty weird, too. At the time I thought it was a clever commentary on how far-future-humanity would likely have a very different outlook on life than we do (kind of an inversion of the old "the past is a foreign country" thing), but now I'm leaning towards it just being down to Yud being Yud.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
The potion of eagle's splendor was Harry's mom became pretty. Harry could have figured it out given the information available

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

I guess you can argue she did better than Lucas by restricting her genetics comments to her website and various interviews?

Magical inheritance as described in the books is clearly not Mendelian and requires either some sort of Trinucleotide repeat mutation mechanism or a more complicated multiple gene interaction as described on sugarquil. Either way requires more than a few hoops to jump through, and Rowling would have been better off saying 'its magic!' and leaving it at that.

Also red hair does not work that way! :bahgawd:

She also said that before Slytherin started being a racist fucker, muggleborns had a reputation of being magically stronger.

quote:

Slytherin's discrimination on the basis of parentage was considered an unusual and misguided view by the majority of wizards at the time. Contemporary literature suggests that Muggle-borns were not only accepted, but often considered to be particularly gifted. They went by the affectionate name of 'Magbobs' (there has been much debate about the origin of the term, but it seems most likely to be that in such a case, magic 'bobbed up' out of nowhere).

quote:

Where families adhered consistently to the practice of marrying within a very small group of fellow witches and wizards, mental and physical instability and weakness seems to result.

Eugenics-wise, therefore, a rational person would want to kill off all the purebloods, probably. Rational means murderous, right?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fenrisulfr posted:

On first reading I assumed the friend Dumbledore mentions was Snape, and that Dumbledore was admitting to purposefully sabotaging their relationship, but that was back before I knew anything about Yud so I assumed it had to have some kind of narrative purpose. Now that I know better I'm pretty sure the whole thing was just to set up a really lame pun in the next few lines and that's it.

Red Mike posted:

It's this. Dumbledore's the one going 'What would happen if X', and she's the one drinking an experimental potion that nearly killed her. If anyone thinks this might be some sort of Chekov's gun or something, this entire bit is never mentioned again as far as I know.

You've already seen this Chekov's gun fire.

This chapter posted:

Harry squinted slightly. The yellowing pages seemed to be describing something called a potion of eagle's splendor, many of the ingredients being items that Harry didn't recognise at all and whose names didn't appear to derive from English. Scrawled in the margin was a handwritten annotation saying, I wonder what would happen if you used Thestral blood here instead of blueberries? and immediately beneath was a reply in different handwriting, You'd get sick for weeks and maybe die.

Much earlier... posted:

"Anyway," Petunia said, her voice small, "she gave in. She told me it was dangerous, and I said I didn't care any more, and I drank this potion and I was sick for weeks, but when I got better my skin cleared up and I finally filled out and... I was beautiful, people were nice to me,"

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, and IIRC Eagle's Splendor is indeed a DnD charisma-boosting spell.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Tunicate posted:

She also said that before Slytherin started being a racist fucker, muggleborns had a reputation of being magically stronger.

I like that pottermore is confined to one website where I can ignore the stupid bits and the contents are not jammed into extended cut special edition reprinted books.

quote:

Eugenics-wise, therefore, a rational person would want to kill off all the purebloods, probably. Rational means murderous, right?

Is this Yud-flavored rationalism we are talking about? Because murder isn't that big of a jump from torture... http://lesswrong.com/lw/kn/torture_vs_dust_specks/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

I like that pottermore is confined to one website where I can ignore the stupid bits and the contents are not jammed into extended cut special edition reprinted books.
Now that JKR has confirmed that she loves making sports fans upset with quidditch, I consider pottermore to be JKR's personal trolling outlet.

Like, did you know that before muggles invented the toilet, wizards would just piss against the wall and then magically clean it up?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Massive loving spoilers on why the potions book thing matters: Dumbledore read a series of prophecies that required his manipulating Lily into getting Petunia to marry what's-his-face, among many many other things, so Harry would grow up in the exact set of circumstances to avert destruction of humanity by his own hands. Yes, it's a whole bunch of contrived bullshit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Twenty-Three

quote:

The doorknob entirely failed to turn.

"You wound me, Harry," said Dumbledore's voice in quiet tones that were coming from right behind him. "Do you not at least realise that what I have told you is a sign of trust?"

Or it could just mean that he is going to kill and/or otherwise silence Eliezarry, which mean that the issue of trust is moot. Eliezarry is wise to take the most pessimistic interpretation given Dumbledore’s behavior so far.

quote:

Harry slowly turned around.

In front of him was a very powerful and very insane wizard with a long silver beard, a hat like a squashed giant mushroom, and wearing what looked to Muggle eyes like three layers of bright pink pyjamas.

Behind him was a door that didn't seem to be working at the moment.

Dumbledore was looking rather saddened and weary, like he wanted to lean on a wizard's staff he didn't have. "Really," said Dumbledore, "you try anything new instead of following the same pattern every time for a hundred and ten years, and people all start running away." The old wizard shook his head in sorrow. "I'd hoped for better from you, Harry Potter. I'd heard that your own friends also think you mad. I know they are mistaken. Will you not believe the same of me?"

"Please open the door," Harry said, his voice trembling. "If you ever want me to trust you again, open the door."

There was the sound behind him of a door opening.

"There were more things I planned to say to you," Dumbledore said, "and if you leave now, you will not know what they were."

Run, child! Run and don’t look back!

quote:

Sometimes Harry absolutely hated being a Ravenclaw.

He's never hurt a student, said Harry's Gryffindor side. Just keep remembering that and you'll be sure not to panic. You're not going to run away just because things are getting interesting, are you?

He’s never hurt a student that you’ve heard of.

quote:

You can't just walk out on the Headmaster! said the Hufflepuff part. What if he starts deducting House points? He could make your school life very difficult if he decides he doesn't like you!

He could also make your school life very difficult if you stay in his presence without a trusted adult guardian by your side, by making it so that you don’t have a life any more.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Now that JKR has confirmed that she loves making sports fans upset with quidditch, I consider pottermore to be JKR's personal trolling outlet.

Like, did you know that before muggles invented the toilet, wizards would just piss against the wall and then magically clean it up?

I am increasingly convinced that trolling readers is a primary reason Rowling created Pottermore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So what the hell is going on in this intensely drawn out scene anyway? It seems like Dumbles is dropping creepy non-sequiturs and Harry remains his established rationalist madman eleven year old self.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually really liked the potion book in the half-blood prince. Especially since Harry isn't a total idiot with it, up until Malfoy pisses him off.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

Massive loving spoilers on why the potions book thing matters: Dumbledore read a series of prophecies that required his manipulating Lily into getting Petunia to marry what's-his-face, among many many other things, so Harry would grow up in the exact set of circumstances to avert destruction of humanity by his own hands. Yes, it's a whole bunch of contrived bullshit.

There's this movie I can't remember what it's called in which Menguele does this same thing but to produce a new Hitler. No joke.

I know it's just a coincidence, but still: gently caress Yud.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Furia posted:

There's this movie I can't remember what it's called in which Menguele does this same thing but to produce a new Hitler. No joke.

I know it's just a coincidence, but still: gently caress Yud.

Boys from Brazil?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Holy gently caress how does this man keep missing the point of the books so goddamned hard? The ENTIRE POINT that Dumbledore tried to get across during the books is the power of love. Having Dumbledore manipulate people into being together is 100% against his morals.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zonekeeper posted:

Holy gently caress how does this man keep missing the point of the books so goddamned hard?

Because he doesn't like them.

Yud posted:

[I r]ead the first 3 books, watched the next 5 movies, checked the wiki often, and most importantly, read at least a hundred other Harry Potter fanfictions. I know off the top of my head who Fleur Delacour's little sister is, in fact I've read a whole book about her bonding to Harry Potter's ghost after he dies in the Second Task of the Triwizard tournament.

quote:

Why didn't you read the rest if I may ask? You clearly like the universe; are you bothered with JKR's writing style, or is there some other obstacle?

quote:

I'm curious too. I mean, reading them would provide absolutely no surprises or new information at this point, but still.
That's already a sufficient answer, to some degree; but the main problem was that after Book 3 I read enough Harry Potter fanfiction that my brain started to think of the Potterverse as a grownup place and when I went back to Book 4, it felt too young.
He wrote this not because he likes Harry Potter, but because he likes Harry Potter fan-fic and thought it would be a good way to reach a wide audience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's pretty hilarious that fanfiction is what he thinks of as 'grown up'. :allears:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
One of the points of the story is that everything is darker and edgier because the characters are too rational tm to put their faith in love rather than science and logic. It's in opposition to the themes of the original work but Yud has never made that a secret what direction he was trying to pull the story.

I actually like that Dumbledore is forced to cave his ideals because he's intelligent enough to recognize that his way is inferior (in the HPMOR world) but that his downfall occurs because he is unable to really abandon his true ideals at the most critical moment

e: fb

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Well at least he's not advancing the "the fanfic is better and more important than the main work" argument.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Twenty-Four

quote:

And a piece of himself which Harry didn't much like but couldn't quite manage to silence was pondering the potential advantages of being one of the few friends of this mad old wizard who also happened to be Headmaster, Chief Warlock, and Supreme Mugwump. And unfortunately his inner Slytherin seemed to be much better than Draco at turning people to the Dark Side, because it was saying things like poor fellow, he looks like he needs someone to talk to, doesn't he? and you wouldn't want such a powerful man to end up trusting someone less virtuous, would you? and I wonder what sort of incredible secrets Dumbledore could tell you if, you know, you became friends with him and even I bet he's got a reaallly interesting book collection.

If anything this supposedly “cynical / Slytherin” line of thinking is more naïve than the earlier-mentioned “Hufflepuff” and “Gryffindor” perspectives. Does Eliezarry really think that there’s any chance he could manipulate and coax secrets out of the centuries-old mega-powerful wizard instead of the other way around?

quote:

You're all a bunch of lunatics, Harry thought at the entire assemblage, but he'd been unanimously outvoted by every component part of himself.

Harry turned, took a step towards the open door, reached out, and deliberately closed it again. It was a costless sacrifice given that he was staying anyway, Dumbledore could control his movements regardless, but maybe it would impress Dumbledore.

When Harry turned back around he saw that the powerful insane wizard was once more smiling and looking friendly. That was good, maybe.

"Please don't do that again," Harry said. "I don't like being trapped."

"I am sorry about that, Harry," said Dumbledore in what sounded like tones of sincere apology. "But it would have been terribly unwise to let you leave without your father's rock."

"Of course," Harry said. "It wasn't reasonable of me to expect the door to open before I put the quest items in my inventory."

Dumbledore smiled and nodded.

Why does Eliezarry make so many references to gaming terminology? Didn’t he spend all his free time reading books? Was it mentioned earlier on that he was a regular CRPG player on top of being an avid reader?

quote:

Harry went over to the desk, twisted his mokeskin pouch around to the front of his belt, and, with some effort, managed to heave up the rock in his eleven-year-old arms and feed it in.

He could actually feel the weight slowly diminishing as the Widening Lip charm ate the rock, and the burp which followed was rather noisy and had a distinctly complaining sound to it.

His mother's fifth-year Potions textbook (which held a secret that was in fact pretty terrible) followed shortly after.

And then Harry's inner Slytherin made a sly suggestion for ingratiating himself with the Headmaster, which, unfortunately, had been perfectly pitched in such a way as to gain the support of the majority Ravenclaw faction.

"So," Harry said. "Um. As long as I'm hanging around, I don't suppose you would like to give me a bit of a tour of your office? I'm a bit curious as to what some of these things are," and that was his understatement for the month of September.

Such transparently blatant pandering is the best that Eliezarry can come up with?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Travenum posted:

There are other ways to turn invisible (at least in the real Harry Potter). The cloak is only unique in that it can't be damaged and lasts forever.

I still don't get what the implication was supposed to be though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JosephWongKS posted:

Why does Eliezarry make so many references to gaming terminology? Didn’t he spend all his free time reading books? Was it mentioned earlier on that he was a regular CRPG player on top of being an avid reader?

He mentioned he never got to play (that would have involved social activity) but loved reading the sourcebooks.

Also, when thinking about the hilarious naivety of his Slytherin voice, remember this is the story where manipulation is done by going 'Well hello, I am going to manipulate you now! I am so very clever.' and responded to with 'Oh my gosh, he's so dangerous and clever! But I'm being manipulated!'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Also, when thinking about the hilarious naivety of his Slytherin voice, remember this is the story where manipulation is done by going 'Well hello, I am going to manipulate you now! I am so very clever.' and responded to with 'Oh my gosh, he's so dangerous and clever! But I'm being manipulated!'
"Oh no!! You're meeting all of my standards!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Random Profound Deep Wisdom Generator (seeded with You-Know-Who)