Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

MMAgCh posted:

The official Fury Road vehicle showcase refers to the War Rig as "she". :colbert:

The production designer I saw said that the War Rig was originally even more womb-like, and would have amniotic type fluid in it. He also said that any perceived feminist subtext was 100% intentional.

I'm not trolling or bullshitting. It's probably corroborated by the art books.

And no, my friend actually ate paint. This is a country where somebody died riding in a shopping card down a hill, and two people died at a Mad Max festival a few months before Fury Road come out.

I asked a doctor friend about the bit where Max stabs Furiosa, and that's accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
BAFTA nominations are out.

quote:

Mad Max: Fury Road is nominated in the following categories: Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Make Up & Hair, Sound and Special Visual Effects.

3rd highest number of nominations (7) behind Bridge of Spies/Carol (9) and The Revenant (8).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Count Chocula posted:

I asked a doctor friend about the bit where Max stabs Furiosa, and that's accurate.

I've done this before (with an IV catheter, not a knife). There's thousands of videos on YouTube about pneumothorax if you wanna get your learn on.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I can't help wondering what kind of raging infections Max and Furiosa are going to get with the blood transfusion with unsterilized tubing and needles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The radioactive wasteland acts as an autoclave. Constantly, on everything.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

moths posted:

The radioactive wasteland acts as an autoclave. Constantly, on everything.

War Boys don't actually shave their heads; once they get to be a certain age all the hair on their heads and bodies just naturally falls out.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Before becoming a filmmaker, George Miller was an emergency room doctor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Count Chocula posted:

I think it's come up at least once in every medical drama and cop show I've ever watched.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

M_Gargantua posted:

:ohdear:

It was the edible chrome food paint and not actual spray paint right?

This is Australia. It was spray paint.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This is Australia. It was spray paint.

And they're huffing it to get high.

That being said, yes it definitely was something safe for the actors and not real spray paint.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So, in the style of The worst Idea ever, i've been considering watching my favorite movie every week for a year. Said favorite movie being Fury Road in this case, not that trash that Grownups is, obviously. I say that because I'm still at the stage where I notice something else each time I watch it.

How mad am I? Should I do it as a podcast? Video Log? Anyone else interested in doing something like this? Or rather then taking part just helping editing the post watch episode scripts/video/audio etc. Any ideas for how to make this a far more interesting experience for the audience? I did manage to secure the Fan Black and Chrome edit too, which while does have some problems is really cool and I think i'd add that to the rotation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

So, in the style of The worst Idea ever, i've been considering watching my favorite movie every week for a year. Said favorite movie being Fury Road in this case, not that trash that Grownups is, obviously. I say that because I'm still at the stage where I notice something else each time I watch it.

How mad am I? Should I do it as a podcast? Video Log? Anyone else interested in doing something like this? Or rather then taking part just helping editing the post watch episode scripts/video/audio etc. Any ideas for how to make this a far more interesting experience for the audience? I did manage to secure the Fan Black and Chrome edit too, which while does have some problems is really cool and I think i'd add that to the rotation.

Why don't you watch it once a month, instead? I feel like once you've seen it 40 weeks in a row, the last 12 are just going to seem like a chore. Then you'll either have to give up, making the symbolic idea of "every week for a year" a waste, or you do it just to finish the year and that won't help anyone since you won't be enjoying it anymore.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I like the monthly idea, and every month focus on a different aspect of the movie for your podcast/whatever.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I have watched Fury Road 100 times, and I noticed something on the 99th viewing I didn't see the first 98 times (the music box plays Furiosa's theme, although you can only really tell if you're watching it in surround sound) so I'd say go for it. The worst thing that will happen is you'll know every line and scene of the best movie in the last decade or so.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why not just watch a different really good movie every week, instead of just one

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do the once a month thing, but double feature it with different movies so you have a new point of reference each time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I actually heard the chrome paint is CGI'd on - at least in the scenes where it's freshly applied mid-scene, because otherwise Nux's actor would have actually died or had a brain injury. Presumably in scenes where it's just traces, it's makeup.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought it was that cake spray that everybody went crazy ordering.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the spray paint the actors are using is makeup and/or CGI, and most people who want to get shiny and chrome for cosplaying are using the cake spray or something. Because they're not loving idiots.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I can't help wondering what kind of raging infections Max and Furiosa are going to get with the blood transfusion with unsterilized tubing and needles.
If anyone has the medicine/equipment to deal with that kind of thing squirrelled away, it's Immortan Joe. (The big scar on Corpus Colossus's chest suggests they're capable of operating on people without killing them, at least.)

Of course Max slips away before Furiosa et al can break into his stash, so… :v:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
And when blood poisoning sets in, he just assumes it's more hallucinations like he was having before.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah the spray paint the actors are using is makeup and/or CGI, and most people who want to get shiny and chrome for cosplaying are using the cake spray or something. Because they're not loving idiots.

I wonder how many people started huffing paint after that movie. Hopefully none, but you never know!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the cake spray, and it is not nearly as shiny and chrome as the spray in the movie. It's more like a slightly sparkly gray.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Steve Yun posted:

I have the cake spray, and it is not nearly as shiny and chrome as the spray in the movie. It's more like a slightly sparkly gray.

:mediocre:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

You need to use real chrome spray, or you will never reach Valhalla!

It's funny because the War Boys are kids born into a horrible situation that deprives them of opportunity, just like people who do inhalants in real life.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Astrofig posted:

And when blood poisoning sets in, he just assumes it's more hallucinations like he was having before.
I think the secret to Mad Max's incredible vitality is;

Dinky-di! The complete nutritional meal for the modern wasteland warrior!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a post-nuke apocalypse so I'm assuming all the infectious diseases have by now mutated into a pleasant suburban community.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a post-nuke apocalypse so I'm assuming all the infectious diseases have by now mutated into a pleasant suburban community.

I don't know what kind of heat and radiation you need to sterilize needles, but pre-apocalypse Australia has an ozone hole and heat hot enough to melt the skin on your feet if you walk in concrete on a normal summer day, so I imagine they could rig something up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

If anyone has the medicine/equipment to deal with that kind of thing squirrelled away, it's Immortan Joe. (The big scar on Corpus Colossus's chest suggests they're capable of operating on people without killing them, at least.)
Unfortunately they accidentally leave the Organic Mechanic behind when they spot the returning War Rig, because he's taking an inopportunely-timed poo poo. There goes healthcare.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

My Lovely Horse posted:

Unfortunately they accidentally leave the Organic Mechanic behind when they spot the returning War Rig, because he's taking an inopportunely-timed poo poo. There goes healthcare.
You could even say they caught him with his pants down. :v:

The Vuvalini who helpfully explains what exactly is wrong with Furiosa on the way to the Citadel seems to have some idea of what she's talking about, though. She might possess some medical knowledge that'll see the New Citadels folks through the worst of it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

I don't know what kind of heat and radiation you need to sterilize needles, but pre-apocalypse Australia has an ozone hole and heat hot enough to melt the skin on your feet if you walk in concrete on a normal summer day, so I imagine they could rig something up.

Australia is pretty much a walk in autoclave around summer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
The immune system of every Mad Max character is made up of crazed road warrior blood cells. They live! They die! They live again!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm more amazed at the vitality of a man who can walk around carrying a shotgun, car door and unconscious body, and then have a furious hand-to-hand fight, after having the blood sucked out of him for hours. I had to have four tubes taken for a blood test the other day and I nearly blacked out walking back to my car, like the pathetic pre-apocalyptic Australian that I am :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The gates of Valhalla shall forever remain barred to you.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

freebooter posted:

I'm more amazed at the vitality of a man who can walk around carrying a shotgun, car door and unconscious body, and then have a furious hand-to-hand fight, after having the blood sucked out of him for hours. I had to have four tubes taken for a blood test the other day and I nearly blacked out walking back to my car, like the pathetic pre-apocalyptic Australian that I am :(

Argh, :mediocre:!!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

I bet you didn't even orgasm when you pulled the needle from your own arm.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:(

Welp, George is over it. Too tiring to make the movies, although he's happy for someone else to take over. It is a shame. Hopefully he changes his mind again after he makes his next movie. Perhaps filming in Australia if the deserts allowed it would be easier for him, closer to home.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-i-wont-make-more-mad-max-movies-20160112

quote:

George Miller Says "I Won’t Make More Mad Max Movies"
Well, this is rather unexpected. Ever since the release of "Mad Max: Fury Road," which could find itself receiving a handful of Oscar nominations later this week, George Miller has said he's got stories ready for a follow-up, and was having conversations with the studio about the future. However, he has also said he wants to make a small movie next, citing the low-budget "Tangerine" as an inspiration. But recently, he's suggested he could happily leave the "Mad Max" franchise behind, saying he'd be cool with another filmmaker taking over. And indeed, the 70-year-old director is now saying he'll never get behind the camera for another "Mad Max" movie.

“I won’t make more ‘Mad Max’ movies," he told Page Six. “I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wild flowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever. We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those ‘Mad Maxes’ take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A little early for April Fools. :saddowns:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
And George Miller? That was the last we ever saw of him. He lives now only in my memories.

:sigh: Can he at least win a lifetime achievement award or something, if he hasn't already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do we really need more? I'm not sure how they could improve on this movie, especially in terms of vehicular based action scenes. I'd rather they just leave it be for a long while.

• Locked thread