Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

So uh, I am a big fan of the original Xenogears game, and played about half of Xenosaga maybe 10 years before I got bored with it. I have both a Wii U and a New 3DS, so I could play either the original Xenoblade Chronicles on, say, my 3DS or just go straight to playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Wii U - which strikes me as the more appealing option.

But again, I haven't played many modern JRPGs besides handheld ones on the DS/3DS, and I am a bit intimidated by this game. poo poo, I haven't even played much MMORPGs, but I really like the idea of one that's effectively single player. I like the idea of building Mechs. I like long and involved JRPGs, too. Should I go for this? Is it that good?

Xenoblade is the all-round better game and undoubtably has the best plot, which is outright really good and delivered with alot of gusto. Xenoblade X has better exploration and better combat for the first half of the game, but a remarkably god awful plot, incredibly shallow combat based around farming for one-hit kill gear once you get Skells and is inexplicably missing a large number of QoL/UI features present in the first game. If you really have a strong case of videogame wanderlust I'd recommend X, if you want a good all-round jrpg experience I'd recommend Xenoblade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you're ok with a main story story that is pretty minimal (but still very Xeno-) but are open to the idea of exploring a high-detail open world with pretty good combat, I'd say it's worth a buy. The original Xenoblade might be a little more up your alley though. It's kind of hard to say.

As a big Xenogears fan who also likes modern Fallout and Elderscrolls games, I can say that XCX really, really scratched a unique itch.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just go level 30. I looks like all the skell frames I can buy right now are level 30 as well. Is there a reason why I shouldn't buy the most expensive one with the most fuel and HP besides if I like the look of another one?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neither Xenoblade is a game I'd play mainly for the plot tbh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just go level 30. I looks like all the skell frames I can buy right now are level 30 as well. Is there a reason why I shouldn't buy the most expensive one with the most fuel and HP besides if I like the look of another one?

Nope. Light skells do sicker donuts, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Neither Xenoblade is a game I'd play mainly for the plot tbh.

Yeah really, First Xenoblade was basically stuff that all happened in series like Breath of Fire and a ton of other RPGs.

Tales of vesperia, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 and Tales of Zestiria, have more engaging stories and characters than Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 9, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Xenoblade is great because of the fantastic cutscene direction, the epic, striking imagery and the context behind the stock anime/jrpg plot points. I love Tales of Vesperia but there's nothing anywhere near as ambitious in terms of visuals or direction as the battle in Mechonis Core as Egil and Zanza finish the war between titans started millenia ago. If you're going to go by wikipedia plot points it's nothing special, but experienced in-game it's up there with some of the best action anime I've seen

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you have the cash, then go for it.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Just got my first skell

Is it just me or is skell combat kinda...simple, at least compared to ground combat? Far as I can tell there's no secondary cooldowns, no combos, arts are determined entirely by your weapons so your class doesn't seem to factor in beyond skills, etc. Feels weird how separate it seems from the ground combat the game has built up in the past 20 odd hours

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davos posted:

Just got my first skell

Is it just me or is skell combat kinda...simple, at least compared to ground combat? Far as I can tell there's no secondary cooldowns, no combos, arts are determined entirely by your weapons so your class doesn't seem to factor in beyond skills, etc. Feels weird how separate it seems from the ground combat the game has built up in the past 20 odd hours

No, skell combat really is very barebones and basically comes across as version 1 of the ground combat system. It's probably the biggest problem with the game because once you get into a skell you're hardly ever going to be out of it because outside of the very end game ground builds and some specific missions you can't really do anything effective outside of one.

Skells are great for what they add to exploration and getting around the world, and they're a fun power boost for a bit with a few interesting ideas, but they are overall not implemented terribly well.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 10, 2016

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Xenoblade is great because of the fantastic cutscene direction, the epic, striking imagery and the context behind the stock anime/jrpg plot points. I love Tales of Vesperia but there's nothing anywhere near as ambitious in terms of visuals or direction as the battle in Mechonis Core as Egil and Zanza finish the war between titans started millenia ago. If you're going to go by wikipedia plot points it's nothing special, but experienced in-game it's up there with some of the best action anime I've seen

Xenoblade doesn't have epic striking imagery. The visuals took a hit because they wanted to be able to finish the game on time. Xenosaga has better imagery than Xenoblade because Xenosaga was ment to be mostly all movie. Not only that but Xenosaga's textures were of a higher resolution than Xenoblades.

Also the Battle in the Core was over in under 30 seconds. Not only that it was directly taken from Xenosaga 3.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 10, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Xenoblade is the all-round better game and undoubtably has the best plot, which is outright really good and delivered with alot of gusto. Xenoblade X has better exploration and better combat for the first half of the game, but a remarkably god awful plot, incredibly shallow combat based around farming for one-hit kill gear once you get Skells and is inexplicably missing a large number of QoL/UI features present in the first game. If you really have a strong case of videogame wanderlust I'd recommend X, if you want a good all-round jrpg experience I'd recommend Xenoblade

I'm not really sure why you're trying to praise Xenoblade's combat when Xenoblade's end-game combat was just spamming hilariously broken chain attacks until enemies exploded with the only limiting factor being accuracy and even that really wasn't when you abused how chain attacks broke debuffs wide open.

X is better than Xenoblade in pretty much everything that isn't storyline. (Well, and character variety, Xenoblade had better distinct characters since every character was unique instead of sharing character classes. That is something I wish X had retained because it is a case of quantity over quality in X.) Even with Skell combat being one-note it''s still about on-par with Xenoblade's combat. Part of why it's disappointing is that Xenoblade X's ground combat has a bunch of cool features that end up underutilized. Both games devolve into spamming chain attacks/overdrive until enemies explode unfortunately.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Xenoblade's plot is just a series of mecha tropes loosely taped together. It is not remotely ambitious. I enjoyed it but it's like Xenogears and Xenoblade in that it's basically beerslamming a buncha giant robot shows together. The setting is cool but soured by the really dumb plot twist at the end of the game.

Edit: I don't mean for that to sound super-negative about Xenoblade because I like Xenoblade a whole lot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Xenoblade doesn't have epic striking imagery. The visuals took a hit because they wanted to be able to finish the game on time. Xenosaga has better imagery than Xenoblade because Xenosaga was ment to be mostly all movie.

Also the Battle in the Core was over in under 30 seconds. Not only that it was directly taken from Xenosaga 3.

Imagery is not the same as visual fidelity! I mean the game has really memorable images it uses to tell the story visually. I can't speak for Xenosaga as we never got the series over here but I've not played anything with such ambitious cinematics since FFVII

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure why you're trying to praise Xenoblade's combat when Xenoblade's end-game combat was just spamming hilariously broken chain attacks until enemies exploded with the only limiting factor being accuracy and even that really wasn't when you abused how chain attacks broke debuffs wide open.

X is better than Xenoblade in pretty much everything that isn't storyline. (Well, and character variety, Xenoblade had better distinct characters since every character was unique instead of sharing character classes. That is something I wish X had retained because it is a case of quantity over quality in X.) Even with Skell combat being one-note it''s still about on-par with Xenoblade's combat. Part of why it's disappointing is that Xenoblade X's ground combat has a bunch of cool features that end up underutilized. Both games devolve into spamming chain attacks/overdrive until enemies explode unfortunately.

I never played the post-game context in Xenoblade but the critical progression path still had a pretty fun difficulty curve which required you to use your skills cleverly and make good use of positioning, I'm on Chapter 10 of X and the combat is almostly solely about alpha-striking and then spamming your skills thoughtlessly until you get your big ticket attack back. Even if Xenoblade's combat did get a little busted towards the end, it's still infitely more engaging than 'farm G-Buster, use G-Buster'

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Imagery is not the same as visual fidelity! I mean the game has really memorable images it uses to tell the story visually. I can't speak for Xenosaga as we never got the series over here but I've not played anything with such ambitious cinematics since FFVII

I think your problem is you just don't play RPGs because nothing in Xenoblade is really ambitious. And visual fidelity has a big hand in imagery that's why you have things like The Hateful 8 Roadshow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I never played the post-game context in Xenoblade but the critical progression path still had a pretty fun difficulty curve which required you to use your skills cleverly and make good use of positioning,

See, this isn't my experience at all. Beyond about the midway point of the game spamming chain attacks in order to land increasingly hilariously huge status effects on enemies way my go-to strategy and even when you get beyond that it's more stuff like stacking DPS gear on Seven. The only real limiting factor is stuff like spike damage (which I don't think anyone likes and can be heavily mitigated by gems) or Aggro (which is an issue only because the AI sucks at using it and can be heavily mitigated with gems.)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is there an easier way of getting two Redwood Aprica Antlers than trying to farm the aprica in Oblivia? Fuckers take forever to kill and won't give them up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Louisgod posted:

Is there an easier way of getting two Redwood Aprica Antlers than trying to farm the aprica in Oblivia? Fuckers take forever to kill and won't give them up.

The answer is always "Use reward tickets"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TurnipFritter posted:

The answer is always "Use reward tickets"

First thing I checked but I didn't see them. Guess I'll look again.

E: dur there they are, guess I need work on my alphabet.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 10, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Speaking of which I can't find "Petramand Black Silk" in the reward ticket list but a quest wants me to get it. I wanted to get it and then use reward tickets for an easy clear and some affinity but it's not there. Is it going by some other strange name?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alxprit posted:

Speaking of which I can't find "Petramand Black Silk" in the reward ticket list but a quest wants me to get it. I wanted to get it and then use reward tickets for an easy clear and some affinity but it's not there. Is it going by some other strange name?

Tickets only get you indigen bits, not collectables.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Try "black petramand silk"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Louisgod try leveling up your toon some more.
Fucker can't even stand against a level 55 ceto thing

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm noticing that for all the world collectibles they have made secret areas for all of them where you just run around in circles and collect everything.

The cave drops in oblvia are supposed to be tedious but that one secret cave located by the shoreline can net you 9 drums of valor in 1-2 trips.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calaveron posted:

Man Louisgod try leveling up your toon some more.
Fucker can't even stand against a level 55 ceto thing

I've put 82 hours into the game, am on chapter 7 and am level 39. I think by May I should be level 56 or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

I've put 82 hours into the game, am on chapter 7 and am level 39. I think by May I should be level 56 or so.

Get an Amdusias, go wail on the Puges at that high-level Prone tower on the west side of the abyss in Oblivia with some Mech XX augments and the E-Scythe to gain multiple levels per kill. Beam Sabers don't hurt either, but stay away from the Qmoevas or they'll Slow your arts and turn it into a slow inevitable death.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I take out the big pincer bugs at the top of the waterfall in Oblivia to level up, seems to work so far.

There's a Nopon in New LA that hangs out near a dumpster to get food because she blew her money on trading cards. They should just name the city to LA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

There's a Nopon in New LA that hangs out near a dumpster to get food because she blew her money on trading cards. They should just name the city to LA.

You should try talking to the Nopon in the secluded alley south of the Nopon Bazaar at night....

Also remember where that trading card Nopon is; There's a sidequest later to trade up from a crappy card to the most-desired one (it starts with the Nopon near Justin).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should try talking to the Nopon in the secluded alley south of the Nopon Bazaar at night....

Also remember where that trading card Nopon is; There's a sidequest later to trade up from a crappy card to the most-desired one (it starts with the Nopon near Justin).

Being unable to collect your own Miralife cards is the other big failing of this game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The real reason the Ganglion wanted to destroy humanity was to stop us from spreading such addictive things as trading cards and pizza to the rest of the galaxy

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You can take our lives but you can never take our pizza.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man you know even since being able to use Phoenix I've been killing all manners of poo poo indiscriminately and have gotten tons of materials but the super weapons still need monster parts that I've never even encountered, and in such high quantities. What's the deal?

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man you know even since being able to use Phoenix I've been killing all manners of poo poo indiscriminately and have gotten tons of materials but the super weapons still need monster parts that I've never even encountered, and in such high quantities. What's the deal?

Appendage Farming

Well what if the mob only drops the item you want if you destroy a specific appendage? The spreadsheet says a mob drops an item and you've killed 30 and gotten it maybe once (looking at you Lepyx Moonstone/Lucky Rainbow Whisker). It may be because you need to destroy a specific appendage, and one not even targetable in a skell. Major pain, but don't worry there's a solution.

Back at Badr Basin (N406/SE404) the Pugilith here drop SSM-XXR140ME M-Missile. This skell weapon targets all the appendages of the mob you fire on. It doesn't matter if you can't target the appendages while in your skill, the weapon will still hit them. I know, how awesome is that.

Now you're not looking for any SSM-XXR140ME M-Missile (you'll also see the stronger 150 but the strength is not what's important here). You want one with “Custom WP-MSL-MAG III”. This augment increases the number of missiles fired. When upgraded to Custom WP-MSL-MAG VIII you will now fire 16 missiles instead of 8, strait up doubling the weapon's dmg per use. It doesn't matter what other augments are on it, if it has Custom WP-MSL-MAG, you're golden.

You'll want to farm 2 of them, one for each shoulder.

If you want to farm the 150/160 variant's, head to the cave N of 505 that opens up with the mission Definian Downfall. There are 4 Judge Pugilith in the first room that you'll be farming. I maxed two groups of 60's in the time it took me to farm 2 with the augment.
Next you'll want to build 3 Crush.APPEND XX augments.

For Sapphire Horn hit the lake S218, break the horn. For Malevolent Petramand Silk 509, head up and on the E side of the hole, break the acid sack. For Brown Monoceros Horn head to 502 and kill the one Cliff Monoceros, break the horn, fast travel, repeat.
Now you're going to want to upgrade it from a III to an VIII. The mats only drop from 2 Zig tyrants. The easier one to farm is at the Wildcat Fortress (SW504). Put on your Crush.APPEND and make use of your new missiles as the mat you want only drops from the Zig's 2 appendages.

Fully upgraded you can now laugh as all the bits and pieces fall off your targets as you unleash a barrage of missiles!

Some additional notes:

SSM-XXR140ME M-Missile is a beam type weapon, you should using it on a frame with armor that provides the AttributeDmg.BEAM augment.

Going though the loot page takes time. Save time by tagging one mob with your side arm, killing another mob, then finishing off the mob you first tagged. With some Custom.WP-SPEED augments you can take chain more effectively.

SSM-XXR140ME M-Missile does bonus dmg from above, so I suggest putting 3 PositionDmg.ABOVE XX augments on your frame.

Finally, as you start stacking things like Custom WP-ATK XX, Draw.OPENING-DMG XX, SpecUp.R-ATK XX, ect. you can wind up killing the mob with the first 2-3 missiles preventing you from breaking all the appendages. The first thing is to just atk at a mid or low position. Then start stripping off augments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FrantzX posted:

Appendage Farming

You missed a step; What can I farm Genuine Shafts off of?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a whole two monsters in the game that drop it. Both are Tyrant Zigs. One is in Wildcat Fortress in Caulderos. Bust the limbs to get them. I just did this earlier today (so I could get my arts gain TP augs easier), the resulting weapon really is worth it though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There a so many jokes that could be made.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It feels really weird to have such an enormous list of items to make when the stuff you need for it is ONLY available if you specifically farm. There's no items at all I've been able to make through normal play.

Also can someone give me a few pointers on making money? I have quite a few probes out and about and many spare but it's so tedious to click through all those probes to see where I can place.

Plus - why can't I raise my Mechanical to 5? Can your top skill only be two better than your lowest? I seriously can't remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

It feels really weird to have such an enormous list of items to make when the stuff you need for it is ONLY available if you specifically farm. There's no items at all I've been able to make through normal play.

Also can someone give me a few pointers on making money? I have quite a few probes out and about and many spare but it's so tedious to click through all those probes to see where I can place.

Plus - why can't I raise my Mechanical to 5? Can your top skill only be two better than your lowest? I seriously can't remember.

A lot of items you will get just by normal play. I was able to make a good chunk of high-end augments just by random poo poo I had lying around.

Probes are the way to make money. Find a spot with high-value landmarks, and build a resource probe nest around it.

As far as your skills: They all top out at 5. Once you it level 4 you have to do a special quest called Off The Record for each which unlocks level 5. It should be on the BLADE board.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It should be noted that those Off The Record quests require some hefty firepower to complete, meaning that for the tyrant kills you'll need to be at least in the high forties (preferably at least 50 with a skell to match) or maybe bring some level 60 recruits. So far I've done Mechanical and it was on the easier side but Archaeological requires the kill of a high HP tyrant that can be tough if you're not prepared. Not "you need a crazy alpha strike build" tough, but it might catch you off guard since the non-tyrant parts of the quests are relatively easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Mechanical one dies like a chump if you just use one or two Mech XX augments and an E-Scythe or G-Buster. The real nuisance is that it's a rare spawn that replaces a regular version's flight route, so you have to go to a bench or base camp to reset the Morning and try again if you see the regular one fly in to its perch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

FrantzX posted:

Appendage Farming

I basically posted a shorter version of this exact same thing a page or 2 back and linked it back to the GFAQs thread that originally had it, thanks for reposting it I guess.

• Locked thread