Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I spin a dreidel when I need a randomizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ilor posted:

Heresy! Floor dice are anathema, and shall not be counted! It is known!

It is known.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Fathis Munk posted:

So what about things like X-COM ? Did you enjoy that game ?

Because the whole thing relies a hell of a lot on uncertainty and the most intense parts are the ones where your elite trooper missed his 95% shot and you have to scramble around to try and fix stuff.

That randomness just changes the way you need to plan ahead in the game in that it just means that you need a back up plan (or two) at all times and it most certainly makes you feel the whole war is much more dangerous. Sure it sucks when a lucky shot brings down one of your dudes but the game would not be the same without it's heavy RNG component.

It all just depends on how the game implements and presents all that stuff.

Never played it, but that's sounds frustrating as a substitution for fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

*SCREAMING*

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warhammer's dice system blows, because most of the time you're just rolling a single D6 and you can't really modify it in any way.

An example of a good dice system is Warmachine. 2d6 is the basic roll, which has a much tighter probability distribution than a D6. Also, most the important models have a resource they can spend to either add a dice to a roll, or make more attacks. This leads to interesting resource management problems - Do I want to add another dice to my hit roll here, to near-guarantee some damage, or do I want to risk using my tokens to do more attacks, potentially doing much more damage, but potentially none at all?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Never played it, but that's sounds frustrating as a substitution for fun.

So would be any video game where damage and accuracy aren't fixed to be same all the time.

No, real frustration is Fallout Tactics where you don't why, given the same gun and working under ostensibly same set of rules, you aren't doing poo poo with you machinegun while some robot is making a killing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

So would be any video game where damage and accuracy aren't fixed to be same all the time.

No, real frustration is Fallout Tactics where you don't why, given the same gun and working under ostensibly same set of rules, you aren't doing poo poo with you machinegun while some robot is making a killing.

No, I get it and I've played plenty of RPGs where at the crucial moment I needed to hit and I missed or hope was lost and I got a critical hit and was back in the game. The big difference here is that I can save the game and replay battles I've lost, so if I get some bullshit RNG results, it's at most set me back 20 minutes. That's hugely different to getting stomped on for 2 hours because I can't get the dice to go my way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

*SCREAMING INTENSIFIES*

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

No, I get it and I've played plenty of RPGs where at the crucial moment I needed to hit and I missed or hope was lost and I got a critical hit and was back in the game. The big difference here is that I can save the game and replay battles I've lost, so if I get some bullshit RNG results, it's at most set me back 20 minutes. That's hugely different to getting stomped on for 2 hours because I can't get the dice to go my way.

That, and aren't some rpgs are smart enough to realize if you attempt a certain fight more than once, it starts adjusting the RNG towards your favor?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The new X-COM actually does that on the Easy and Normal difficulty levels - if you keep on taking the same shot and missing, it slightly adjusts the RNG to make a hit more likely. Like, if you have three dudes with a 60% chance to hit a sectoid in cover, the first dude might hit at 60%, the second would still show as 60% but actually hit at 65%, and the third would still show as 60% but actually hit at 70%. (Example, no idea of the actual adjustments).

It's generally seen as a good idea to play at Classic difficulty or up just because the slight RNG training wheels you get actually teach you bad habits that can seriously gently caress you over on harder difficulties.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, I can see it being really frustrating in 40k. In warmachine it's not quite as bad as games are generally shorter and there's usually a legitimate chance a chance at winning. (And nobody's mad at you if you concede in a friendly game if there isn't, because the game didn't take an hour to set up.) More narrative/campaign games also work a bit better because even when you are getting stomped you can still adjust your victory conditions and go for something lesser that still has benefit.

That said, some luck can be mitigated by planning around the worst case and setting up around making it not so bad. It's not perfect, but it can take a lot of the frustration out. Blood bowl is absurdly miserable to play if you don't do that, to the point where it's more a game about managing your inevitable fuckups and bad rolls than anything else. It's not always possible, but 90% of the time the person who plans for fuckups best wins. I find this is a healthy attitude to take everywhere.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Star Man posted:

That's a D4.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Star Man posted:

We have a dreidel that is not so random. It is loaded in the oddest way; when spun counterclockwise, it always comes up "shin." When spun clockwise, it always comes up "nun."

For the dreidel-uninitiated, both of those results suck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING INTENSIFIES*

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

any complaints i might have about the tity necrons are rendered null and void by

from the same company

Part of me really wants that not-Batmobile for my Batman board.

The rest of me couldn't bring myself to putting something that 40k on the table with super serious superheroes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There must be some medieval inquisition themed super-whatever you could give it to. Something from one of their time-shifted lines.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Ugleb posted:

Part of me really wants that not-Batmobile for my Batman board.

The rest of me couldn't bring myself to putting something that 40k on the table with super serious superheroes.

The Azraelmobile?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING INTENSIFIES*

I don't know what this is, but it owns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
X-Wang uses dice for attack and defense and everyone who's played it with any regularity probably knows what it's like to roll five green dice for defense as someone shoots your valuable-but-fragile ace pilot from extreme range through an asteroid and you wind up getting all blanks while he one-shots you, but a huge part of X-Wing is essentially bound up in risk mitigation or in other words the best defense is not getting shot at in the first place, so the answer there to "what am I supposed to learn if the dice keep loving me?" is learning how to outmaneuver your opponents and leverage your ships' actions to maximize your chances to shoot at them while not being shot at in return and that's where the meat of the game is, not in rolling fistfuls of dice back and forth until someone gets bored and concedes. There are good ways to utilize randomness in games and bad ways. GW unsurprisingly utilizes it in bad ways because they're a poo poo company that makes awful games.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

also apparently they sell piles of loose skulls

I swear this thread rediscovers this every six months.

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING*

FOR BRETONIA AND THE LADY

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING INTENSIFIES*

:stare:

That is insensitive to the jewish community.

FrostyPox posted:

I don't know what this is, but it owns.

:agreed:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kai Tave posted:

X-Wang uses dice for attack and defense and everyone who's played it with any regularity probably knows what it's like to roll five green dice for defense as someone shoots your valuable-but-fragile ace pilot from extreme range through an asteroid and you wind up getting all blanks while he one-shots you, but a huge part of X-Wing is essentially bound up in risk mitigation or in other words the best defense is not getting shot at in the first place, so the answer there to "what am I supposed to learn if the dice keep loving me?" is learning how to outmaneuver your opponents and leverage your ships' actions to maximize your chances to shoot at them while not being shot at in return and that's where the meat of the game is, not in rolling fistfuls of dice back and forth until someone gets bored and concedes. There are good ways to utilize randomness in games and bad ways. GW unsurprisingly utilizes it in bad ways because they're a poo poo company that makes awful games.

Also, X-wing's dice are a lot simpler than most games' and a lot easier to predict as a result, plus dice manipulation (at least on the attack, on the defensive less so) is a lot easier to achieve than in most games. I feel like a lot of dice combat games would benefit from having custom dice rather than relying on standard d#s.

Nonetheless, the dice are the worst part of the game for me, and I wish they had used a more deterministic method of combat resolution.

But I still enjoy playing it, so anyway.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, X-wing's dice are a lot simpler than most games' and a lot easier to predict as a result, plus dice manipulation (at least on the attack, on the defensive less so) is a lot easier to achieve than in most games. I feel like a lot of dice combat games would benefit from having custom dice rather than relying on standard d#s.

Nonetheless, the dice are the worst part of the game for me, and I wish they had used a more deterministic method of combat resolution.

But I still enjoy playing it, so anyway.

Aren't custom dice just a way to sell extra stuff for the game? Would it be different if instead of "roll 3 attack dice, look for bursts" it was "roll 3 d8, 7 hits, 8 crits"? Focus is just rerolling 1s etc. I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky because I always wonder if there's really a point to custom dice beyond adding flavor to a game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jodai posted:

Aren't custom dice just a way to sell extra stuff for the game? Would it be different if instead of "roll 3 attack dice, look for bursts" it was "roll 3 d8, 7 hits, 8 crits"? Focus is just rerolling 1s etc. I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky because I always wonder if there's really a point to custom dice beyond adding flavor to a game.
This is true. But I've found that there's a lot of temptation when you're writing a system with d#s rather than custom dice, to try to use the numbers in stupid ways. If all you have on your die is hit/crit/focus/miss you'll be a lot less tempted towards dumb design.

That being said, yes, they are a way to make you buy more stuff. Most obsessed x-wing players wind up with at least two core sets, because they don't actually give you enough dice to play the game in one of them. That's the other reason the dice bug me.

Fortunately, they're the worst part about an otherwise excellent game, and they're not as bad as they could be.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

While you could use regular D8s and assign each number to a hit/crit/focus/blank, the symbols being on the dice make it a lot simpler to quickly parse what effect your shooting has. Essentially the special dice aren't required but they are very handy.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
what does this have to do with bad models???? please stop sperging out about dice in the unspiration thread tia

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Herr Tog posted:

That is insensitive to the jewish community.

It's okay, though, because I'm part of the Jewish community.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ponies are dumb and bronies are dumb, yet at the same time, well-made pony Warhammer models will never not be hilarious to me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

what does this have to do with bad models???? please stop sperging out about dice in the unspiration thread tia

Best of the Worst: Posting Unspiration

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

please stop sperging out about dice in the unspiration thread tia

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*

JcDent
May 13, 2013

nothing marks an expressionate miniature like black mouth hole

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*

mother of god

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*

im hard

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All of that effort to sculpt ponies, but they can't thin their paints.

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*
Jesus Christ

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bet she hates dice games

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Herr Tog posted:

I swear this thread rediscovers this every six months.

I got probated or something and then my semester started. Also there seems to be a community skellington fetish going on around here so...

Well, yeah?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

TheOneOutside posted:

The Azraelmobile?

Nailed it. Now I need to forget about this before pay day and I go buy it.

These make me happy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*

I'm happy the artist took the time to gloss varnish this so it never risked having its paint job damaged.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

jodai posted:

Generally yes, but it can depend on how the dice work. For example, 40k artillery/scatter dice are custom and you can't substitute regular dice for them. That's because (IIRC) each side has an arrow, and when you roll to see if artillery has hit you need to see if it scatters first, and the direction it scatters is determined by the arrow.

As penance for continuing the dice sperg, have this:

Mexicrons
Spruecrons
Hello Kitty Necrons

And this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Generally yes, but it can depend on how the dice work. For example, 40k artillery/scatter dice are custom and you can't substitute regular dice for them. That's because (IIRC) each side has an arrow, and when you roll to see if artillery has hit you need to see if it scatters first, and the direction it scatters is determined by the arrow.

As penance for continuing the dice sperg, have this:

Mexicrons
Spruecrons
Hello Kitty Necrons

And this:

lol