Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

kordansk posted:

I fantasized about Gillian Anderson, ping-pong balls, and her screaming, but not in that exact order.

gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

this picture makes perfect sense now it has context

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

But it's easy to stalk the smaller fish in the pond, right Sandi?
You Harpy!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, since mo-cap is the flavor of the day again, I want to bring up some actual knowledge again!

As I've previously explained, I'm a bit of an enthusiast and very well studied when it comes to how Special effects are done, and I've been sitting on this example of where CIG is going horribly wrong with Mo-Cap.

Mo-Cap in video games is usually used for very animated gestures. The best way to describe this is with the acting phrase "Show what you're trying to say". As an example, when a character says "Everything" in Mo-Cap, a good director will get the actor to gesture with their arm in a wide arc. The wrong thing to do is just have tiny subtle movements that show nothing, or even worse, have your actor just stand around doing nothing, talking.

The reason the people who are engaging critical thinking feel that the Oldman cinematic feels weird and uncanny is because in the back of their head, there's a little voice screaming "why didn't they just film this in real time?" Mo-Cap is a tool that should be used to make the impossible possible.

Not wanting to go into things forever, here's a decent example...

Let's take a look at the SC mo-cap cinematic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs

The character stands on the same spot, inanimate, apart from a few instances of things like bashing the podium with his fist. This isn't a bad performance by the actor, this is plain bad direction. A good director would have had the character not at a podium, but on a stage, pacing back and forth, gesturing, throwing his arms about, moving his head. Instead, glued to podium, dead, boring.

Let's take a look at what I consider some of the best use of Mo-Cap in video games of recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfIFgxf2sw

Characters are ANIMATED. They're moving about, waving their arms, pointing at things. A crazy fantasy setting where people are hurling fireballs about, and there's a big gently caress off monster flying about suddenly looks 100x more real than a dude standing at a podium waffling on about meanies from space. And it's purely because the Mo-Cap is being used for the purpose Mo-Cap was originally invented. Making the impossible possible.

[edit]

On reviewing it again, both of the videos even tell the same story.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 10, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I bet this is how Gillian looks like every after shoot of the mocap

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Funny how the 42mil seems so reasonable now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Xaerael posted:

So, since mo-cap is the flavor of the day again, I want to bring up some actual knowledge again!

As I've previously explained, I'm a bit of an enthusiast and very well studied when it comes to how Special effects are done, and I've been sitting on this example of where CIG is going horribly wrong with Mo-Cap.

Mo-Cap in video games is usually used for very animated gestures. The best way to describe this is with the acting phrase "Show what you're trying to say". As an example, when a character says "Everything" in Mo-Cap, a good director will get the actor to gesture with their arm in a wide arc. The wrong thing to do is just have tiny subtle movements that show nothing, or even worse, have your actor just stand around doing nothing, talking.

The reason the people who are engaging critical thinking feel that the Oldman cinematic feels weird and uncanny is because in the back of their head, there's a little voice screaming "why didn't they just film this in real time?" Mo-Cap is a tool that should be used to make the impossible possible.

The character stands on the same spot, inanimate, apart from a few instances of things like bashing the podium with his fist. This isn't a bad performance by the actor, this is plain bad direction. A good director would have had the character not at a podium, but on a stage, pacing back and forth, gesturing, throwing his arms about, moving his head. Instead, glued to podium, dead, boring.

Let's take a look at what I consider some of the best use of Mo-Cap in video games of recent years.

Characters are ANIMATED. They're moving about, waving their arms, pointing at things. A crazy fantasy setting where people are hurling fireballs about, and there's a big gently caress off monster flying about suddenly looks 100x more real than a dude standing at a podium waffling on about meanies from space. And it's purely because the Mo-Cap is being used for the purpose Mo-Cap was originally invented. Making the impossible possible.

Like I said before they have amazing actors.....well three amazing actors......and they just have them standing around...or walking from one side of the room to the other.....no action or strenuous movement.....the bare minimum even sandi could do I- AHAHA nah I can't even finish that sentence...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

[edit]

Much like the rest of what does, he's using performance capture for the sake of having performance capture.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Amy's baking company is great, and they did a follow up if I'm not mistaken and they were still like "gently caress you RAMSay!"

Bar Rescue and Kitchen Nightmares are both great for delusional owners. If you can find the Bar Rescue about the Pirates Bar its amazing. No where near as crazy as Amy. I just like delusional owners who are in such dire straights they asked a tv show for help, then refuse all help.

I remember forcing myself to head over to Pirates Bar after that episode came out. That place was god awful, yet there are actually worse in this area.

I would love to watch Star Citizen featured in a "Save My lovely Video Game" reality TV show. Croberts would approve it too, because Sandi would force him to... somehow deluding herself into thinking it'll kickstart her Hollywood career.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Xaerael posted:

[edit]

Agreed. The mark of a qualified professional can be summed up with the phrase, "The right tool for the right job." Chris isn't interested in anything else than playing with his expensive toys. He's always wanted to do mo-cap, so we're getting loving mo-cap, whether it's the right choice or not. And as you outlined, the funny part is, he could have redone the scene so mo-cap would have been more appropriate. Chris is one of those guys that you run into occasionally who just makes every decision wrong, but profits anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Like I said before they have amazing actors.....well three amazing actors......and they just have them standing around...or walking from one side of the room to the other.....no action or strenuous movement.....the bare minimum even sandi could do I- AHAHA nah I can't even finish that sentence...

That reminds me of something… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcXyZn9xjg&t=5202s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This was great. Thank you.

alf_pogs posted:

anderson's glee is the first thing about this whole debacle that has cheered me up. S42 sounds like it has a bonkers cast doing the most rote, boring nonsense

To be fair I'd be willing to bet most acting jobs like this always come across as a little bit ridiculous. Some of the responses are going to be canned things that just are done independently of any continuity or context. Probably always going to feel a little bit absurd to the actors, especially real / good ones with experience.

You're spending the day wearing a necessary but ridiculous getup and then you're acting out just bit parts of scenes all over the spectrum of emotion most likely. Gotta be strange.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Much like the rest of what does, he's using performance capture for the sake of having performance capture.

It very much reminds me of when child finds something of their parent's (old typewriter, tape recorder, fancy clothes) and they play make believe with them.

Croberts is playing make believe Moviegame producer, and he's managed to get a whole bunch of idiots with poor spending control to play make believe stock market investors.

When you strip away our veneer of pointing and laughing, the situation is incredibly depressing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I have updated the OP with a slew of new material include the Beer emails, ToS changes, refunds etc. It's all in the top section.

Let me know if I missed anything that's worthy of addition.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chin posted:

CIG's motion/performance capture setup does seem kind of crude. You'd think after eight years that the camera mounts would become smaller and less cumbersome.

How do you go from this in 2007:

To this in 2015:

That isn't CIG's mocap stuff at all. Remember that for all the talk of building their own studio, they booked time at the Imagination (Andy Serkis's shop) to do the big S42 shoot.

We've never seen pictures of the studio CIG built as far as I know.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

It will be all of that but so much worse.

Das Phares
Jan 10, 2016

by Cowcaster

Lowtax posted:

This is a sad man with a very sad life.
Don't sign your posts, filthy breeder.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Moogle posted:

Dance gabz, dance!

:pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

My jpegs bring all the nerds to the verse,
And they're like:
Dave Braben's is worse.
drat right
Dave Braben's is worse,
That'll teach him
To put gameplay first.

:pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

:perfect:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:10bux:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Das Phares posted:

Don't sign your posts, filthy breeder.

Sup Seraph?

I see you edited your post.

Why don't you have a cool avatar?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!! I died!

Das Phares
Jan 10, 2016

by Cowcaster
:pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAiQ4Hl-G58

:pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Watching Sherlock holmes (the Robert downey junior one) and mark strong's in it, he steals every scene in every movie that he's in.

And he looks way more Sherlock holmes than RDJ.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

C'mon, who hasn't fantasized about Gillian Anderson shouting 'Abort Mission' while dressed up in a ping-pong ball outfit?

I don't know about fantasizing, but i met my first real girlfriend in an agronomy class (soil chemistry) and she said she was in life sciences because she had been inspired by agent Scully.

So thanks Ms. Anderson, in a small way you made my life a happier place for a year and a half.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

The other thing about the two videos I posted that is so drat important. Let's look at the script.

SC: camera pans on DigiOldman. Massive speech about "Blah Blah meanies from space blah blaaahhhhhh" audience golfclaps.

FFXIV: *Melancholic song starts* Camera shows HOLY poo poo THINGS HAPPENING HOLY gently caress WAR HOLY gently caress BIG THREAT PEOPLE DOING STUFF OH NO DRAMA I DON'T EVEN KNOW THESE GUYS YET BUT I FEEL INVESTED. No dialogue.

Rule of the now: Show, don't tell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
elihpedop a eruoy

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
I thought Piratz Tavern was awesome

Das Phares
Jan 10, 2016

by Cowcaster

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sup Seraph?

I see you edited your post.

Why don't you have a cool avatar?

Hi Jobbo, listen I've got a cool gif mission for you.

You know that gif where ben's laughing in the chair and the only one who isn't raising his arms above his head? I need you to replace ben with a T-rex in that gif Jobbo.

For science.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Xaerael posted:

It very much reminds me of when child finds something of their parent's (old typewriter, tape recorder, fancy clothes) and they play make believe with them.

Croberts is playing make believe Moviegame producer, and he's managed to get a whole bunch of idiots with poor spending control to play make believe stock market investors.

When you strip away our veneer of pointing and laughing, the situation is incredibly depressing.

"It's like make believe" "It's like being five again"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xaerael posted:

The other thing about the two videos I posted that is so drat important. Let's look at the script.

SC: camera pans on DigiOldman. Massive speech about "Blah Blah meanies from space blah blaaahhhhhh" audience golfclaps.

FFXIV: *Melancholic song starts* Camera shows HOLY poo poo THINGS HAPPENING HOLY gently caress WAR HOLY gently caress BIG THREAT PEOPLE DOING STUFF OH NO DRAMA I DON'T EVEN KNOW THESE GUYS YET BUT I FEEL INVESTED. No dialogue.

Rule of the now: Show, don't tell.

Are you suggesting that CRobber might be a hack fraud?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Das Phares posted:

:byewhore:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Yeaaahhhh... I forgot about that quote. Never a truer word spoken from Croberts himself.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

That was fast. :eyepop:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Saw this and had to think of a certain someone:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Das Phares posted:

*In the super smash bros announcer voice*

A NEW RECORD

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Saaaaaandi is a bitch, she a pubeless bitch!
She's the meanest bitch in the whole wide world!
She's a talentless bitch, a hack of a bitch!
A bitch to all the boys and girls!

On Acting she's a bitch, Sales she's a bitch!
Marketing, Teaching, PR she's a bitch!
HR a bitch, Biologist a bitch!
From Reverse to Around she's a bitch!
Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch!
Sandi's a bitch, she's such a stupid bitch!

SAN-DI, IS A BII-IiI-IIITCHAH!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Tippis posted:

Are you suggesting that CRobber might be a hack fraud?

At best, I'm saying he should probably have realized after all his failures, he might be the problem, not the studios he worked for.

But really, yeah, he's a hack. Possibly one of the hackiest hacks in the whole hackdom.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

CIG: more hacks than a slasher movie

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'm shocked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

• Locked thread