Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I can't wait for stuff to get reprinted and have random people complaining that wizards ruined their spec it's going to be very entertaining.
E: Can I get a job being the person at wizards that decides what gets reprinted just to gently caress with people? That'd be great. First order of business is a starter deck with like three copies of Seance.

is that good fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Allstone posted:

I can't wait for stuff to get reprinted and have random people complaining that wizards ruined their spec it's going to be very entertaining.
E: Can I get a job being the person at wizards that decides what gets reprinted just to gently caress with people? That'd be great. First order of business is a starter deck with like three copies of Seance.

You can wait for it, but it isn't really a thing that happens. When people spec big on a card, they're doing it on bulk stuff speccing on it to be not bulk. The people buying Stoneforges aren't a couple guys buying 50 at $20 a pop, it is 12 people buying playsets at $20 a pop because they think if it gets unbanned they'll A. want to play it B. it will go up. Of course that line of reasoning and buying causes the price to go up. However, those people are probably not going to be that unhappy to have a playset of Stoneforges even if it doesn't get unbanned, because it is a good card to have a set of anyway.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This card was definitely meant to be white and changed to blue at the last minute.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is the B/R list is updated at the end of this week?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This card was definitely meant to be white and changed to blue at the last minute.

The whole only having one white eldrazi thing makes no sense to me, like why bother

I mean yes the white eldrazi is really good but like, i don't see why they stopped at one, frustrating tbh

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
B&R update is on Monday, January 18

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

The whole only having one white eldrazi thing makes no sense to me, like why bother

I mean yes the white eldrazi is really good but like, i don't see why they stopped at one, frustrating tbh

Limited. More specifically, emphasizing mechanics differently for limited vs constructed. You only need one good card for the latter, but a critical mass for the former.

Master of Waves from Theros is another example of having a card pushed for constructed for a mechanic that was essentially absent for the color in limited.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2016

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chairman Pow! posted:

What worries me is I am picking this game up pretty recently, so I missed out on all of these cards having ever been cheap when they first came out. I take my budget decks to modern or standard nights and end up getting wrecked by people with full, expensive pro decks. This seems like a big problem for new players like me.

As an example, Affinity looks cool, but now with even more parts spiraling up in cost its getting harder and harder to build even a locally competitive yet affordable deck.

Seconding playing soul sisters, without archangel of thine and auriok champion the deck is super cheap and actually v good. The other good option in that price range is bogles because without horizon canopies the deck comes in right around $250.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

The disruption seems to be IoK, TS, and Duress at least 2x each (though some of it is in sb). He also has 4x path and I think 2x Murderous Cut in main. He's also running Windbrisk Heights, and I think 4x Gideon instead of 2.

Yeah the disruption being 6x seems pretty standard. He has 3 fulminators in his sideboard and across modern that isn't exactly uncommon.

The strange part is the gideon. I feel like it makes sense 4 drop wise in modern considering it gives flexible options the turn it drops. It is also a card that if not answered right away can take over a game. Modern also has an issue with 4+ planeswalkers as removal for them is hardly used. If this guy continues to run hot gideon will probably have a small spike again if it hasn't already. He is going to continue to be the top of the power level of standard with jace considering oath's card pool, or at least there is a good chance he will be.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

BW Tokens at 10-0-1 now. Drew vs twin. Highlights include ghost quartering his own land for extra black to cast Duress to stop twin from going off while still keeping mana up to activate Shambling Vents to keep Jace, Architect of Thought from ultimating.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PleasantDirge posted:

Seconding playing soul sisters, without archangel of thine and auriok champion the deck is super cheap and actually v good. The other good option in that price range is bogles because without horizon canopies the deck comes in right around $250.

Yeah, Bogles is one of the few decks this year that went down in price due to its most expensive card (Canopy excluded) being reprinted, dropping from 30 to 3 dollars. Most decks also run 4 Leylines in the sideboard and those went down too. So unless you want to really go all out (4x Canopies, and 2x Teeg in the Sideboard) Bogles is about a cheap as it could get for a Tier 1/2 Modern deck.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#paper

Cheapest Tier 1/2 decks being Bloom, Bogles, and Living End. They are probably the cheapest because most of the cards in those decks can only be played in that deck and nothing else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can confirm that Todd Stephens (currently on camera) is really good at magic and may be one of the best dressed magic players out there. He lives in the DFW area and I am currently 0/2 against him in competitive play :smith: .

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Twin is so broken!

*loses to the fairest deck of just creatures and removal spells*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Twin is so broken!

*loses to the fairest deck of just creatures and removal spells*

Hm yeah seems like there's a problem when you lose to a "fair" deck of "just creatures and removal."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm yeah seems like there's a problem when you lose to a "fair" deck of "just creatures and removal."

Your sarcasm is way over my head. I mean he's just saying twin isn't infallible, it can lose to dudes and a couple removal spells.dec. You don't have to do anything super fancy to beat twin other than bring some removal which is not an unreasonable bar. Unless your point is you think "have removal" is unreasonable?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am forced to play Jund cuz I traded more scalding tarns than I meant to. So now I'm bitter that my splinter twins aren't worth $100 yet. :3:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean you also need to exercise a modicum of self control and not tap out every single turn, but yeah twin is ridiculously interactable-with and not broken despite the endless posts about how terrible and oppressive it is.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

I am forced to play Jund cuz I traded more scalding tarns than I meant to. So now I'm bitter that my splinter twins aren't worth $100 yet. :3:

I have played a lot of modern decks and honestly I find Jund to be the most fun. Very few games do I feel helpless. Sometimes I draw the wrong stuff at the wrong time but every game of magic has that potential. There are few matches where I feel like I don't have some path to victory with Jund. I also LOVE the mirror match.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jund doesn't make you feel powerful like having a creature become literally any non-permanent spell you want it to be. I mean Goyf doesn't even have trample. :mad:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

BW Tokens at 10-0-1 now. Drew vs twin. Highlights include ghost quartering his own land for extra black to cast Duress to stop twin from going off while still keeping mana up to activate Shambling Vents to keep Jace, Architect of Thought from ultimating.

The nut draw with Tokens will have you gaining 10 life and dealing 10 on like turn 4 (it's usually IOK into Bitterblossom or Intangible Virtue into SpecPro into Sorin). Tron is an almost unwinnable matchup but if they stumble and you get that nut draw you can win, but Tron is like a 25% win with tokens. Too many Pyroclasms, Ugin will just shut off your entire board, etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah Ugin seems like, impossible for the token deck to beat

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oooooh, Spliced Through The Breach on a Nourishing Shoal. Just beautiful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's hilarious that Nourishing Shoal is actually seeing play now, since it was so reviled back in Standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

You can wait for it, but it isn't really a thing that happens. When people spec big on a card, they're doing it on bulk stuff speccing on it to be not bulk. The people buying Stoneforges aren't a couple guys buying 50 at $20 a pop, it is 12 people buying playsets at $20 a pop because they think if it gets unbanned they'll A. want to play it B. it will go up. Of course that line of reasoning and buying causes the price to go up. However, those people are probably not going to be that unhappy to have a playset of Stoneforges even if it doesn't get unbanned, because it is a good card to have a set of anyway.

You're into mtg finance, aren't you

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i'm into mtgfinance in that i follow the prices and get depressed that I probably won't be able to play magic the way I would like to.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ask me about the time I spiked Genesis Wave's price! #mtgfinance

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of mtgfinance, is there anyone else here from outside the US not seeing all of TCGPlayer's listings? It's making it hard for me to know what's actually being sold and at what price without going through a proxy/VPN.

Here's what I see when I go through my VPN:

If I just check without a VPN I only see the CFB listing where they want $21.99 for the HP Inquisition and no indication that anything else is being hidden. It literally says Viewing 1-1 of 1 listing.

It's annoying as gently caress, but I think it's related to my location instead of site settings. I'm not signed in to the site or anything. Would be nice to get some confirmation from someone here.

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 10, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

odiv posted:

Speaking of mtgfinance, is there anyone else here from outside the US not seeing all of TCGPlayer's listings? It's making it hard for me to know what's actually being sold and at what price without going through a proxy/VPN.

Here's what I see when I go through my VPN:

If I just check without a VPN I only see the CFB listing where they want $21.99 for the HP Inquisition and no indication that anything else is being hidden. It literally says Viewing 1-1 of 1 listing.

It's annoying as gently caress, but I think it's related to my location instead of site settings. I'm not signed in to the site or anything. Would be nice to get some confirmation from someone here.

Maybe the sellers can indicate whether or not they're willing to ship overseas?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized that Twin's actually really, really likely to sideboard that colourless wrath

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just realized that Twin's actually really, really likely to sideboard that colourless wrath

Kozilek's Return?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Kozilek's Return?

All is Dust.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Jund doesn't make you feel powerful like having a creature become literally any non-permanent spell you want it to be. I mean Goyf doesn't even have trample. :mad:

I just dislike proactive play mostly, because if someone disrupts you it feels bad. My first t1 deck was affinity and I just didn't like it when they had all the hate. Jund is the hate.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

You're into mtg finance, aren't you

haha. I do not spend money on specs. I do follow/read what finance people write about, and I've saved a bajillion dollars on cards I want just by buying before spikes or waiting when spikes are just all hype. I know people buy cards to spec. It is a thing that happens. However, there are way more players than finance people, and they collectively have more money and ability to move the markets. I guess you seriously believe in the finance illuminati who take a bath on Stoneforge every January because one time they'll be right? I mean, I guess those people could exist, but they'd be literal crazy people.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is why I like Merfolk. You win a tournament and suddenly everyone hates you. For a week.

Then they forget you exist and you do it again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Heartless Summoning is $7 now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Rofl people think it's playable in a world with Abrupt Decay.

I say that as its #1 fan.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

dug 3 out of my bulk rares box, happy days.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Rofl people think it's playable in a world with Abrupt Decay.

I say that as its #1 fan.

Well it's not really an Abrupt Decay world anymore thanks to Banana-man and Joe Gurmaggio.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I could swear I had a binder with 4 around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jassi007 posted:

dug 3 out of my bulk rares box, happy days.

What are you going to do with them? Is a store going to buy them?

• Locked thread