Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

da2 is the most interesting god-awful shitpile of a game you'll ever play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The weird thing is that the same people that liked Inquisition also hated DA2, despite the fact that Inquisition was DA2: The Not-MMO

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I've played about 10 hours of Dragon Age: Origins now and I've decided that it's not that bad, really, kind of like a more competent and focused Kingdoms of Amalur without the charm. So what about DA2? I see it's on sale at the store for a fiver but I've heard that most people poo poo all over it. I'm sure this has been done to death by now but this is pretty much the first time ever I've been even remotely interested in the franchise so what's so lovely about DA2? There are a whole lot of things I don't care for in DA:O and I gather DA2 fixed some of those things but is otherwise garbage or something.

Also is DA:O Awakening worth anything? 20 bucks for a DLC sounds pretty nutty to me. Does it ever go on sale?

DA2 didn't really fix anything that was wrong with Origins, unless you consider literally everyone not being bisexual or the player character not having tomato sauce on their nose flaws. It did however add a whole lot of it's own flaws such as setting the game in one small town instead of a country and removing what depth the combat had in the first game.

It's a bit of a trainwreck.

Awakening is a pretty good expansion to Origins, so if you want more of that it's worth getting. You could probably get it much cheaper on PC if that's an option.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

croutonZA posted:

DA2 didn't really fix anything that was wrong with Origins, unless you consider literally everyone not being bisexual or the player character not having tomato sauce on their nose flaws. It did however add a whole lot of it's own flaws such as setting the game in one small town instead of a country and removing what depth the combat had in the first game.

It's a bit of a trainwreck.

Awakening is a pretty good expansion to Origins, so if you want more of that it's worth getting. You could probably get it much cheaper on PC if that's an option.
I guess I'll be staying away from DA2 then if the combat is even more simple. The combat is really the thing I like the least about DA:O; I get that it's based mainly on managing the tactics and what have you but that's not really my bag and the combat leaves me feeling like I'm just spectating for the most part and there's a disconnect with the rest of the game where I'm directly in control where the plot goes and stuff like that. I'll keep an eye out for Awakening, I can't get it for the PC as I don't have one but if it ever drops in price for the PS3 I'll be sure to take a look. Thanks!

On that note though, is Inquisition worth getting for the PS3? Now that the PS4 is all the rage I can't really find many reviews or opinions when it comes to the PS3 version and I'm guessing it'll soon be dirt cheap anyway. Should I just wait until I get a PS4 one day?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Awakening for its added class/prestige stuff. I never really used Anders (he's introduced in that expansion), but he's a real piece of work in DA2.

Edit: minor spoilers

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Stare-Out posted:

So what about DA2? I see it's on sale at the store for a fiver but I've heard that most people poo poo all over it. I'm sure this has been done to death by now but this is pretty much the first time ever I've been even remotely interested in the franchise so what's so lovely about DA2? There are a whole lot of things I don't care for in DA:O and I gather DA2 fixed some of those things but is otherwise garbage or something.
DA2 gets a lot of heat, but I had some good fun with it. Yes, there were some bad decisions, and the design is frequently lazy and rushed. But the core gameplay is solid despite all of that, and the characters are fun to work with.

It's a much narrower game than either of the others in the series, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as its reputation.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

DA2 gets a lot of heat, but I had some good fun with it. Yes, there were some bad decisions, and the design is frequently lazy and rushed. But the core gameplay is solid despite all of that, and the characters are fun to work with.

It's a much narrower game than either of the others in the series, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as its reputation.
I played the demo for it a while back and it felt really bland and bare bones to me, especially now that I've played Origins, I was just curious if it ramped up at any point and got better. In any case, I missed the sale now and I still have a whole bunch of DA:O to get through. At least it's seemingly really replayable which is nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The weird thing is that the same people that liked Inquisition also hated DA2, despite the fact that Inquisition was DA2: The Not-MMO

Inquisition has a ton of design differences from DA2. It's not really that surprising. They're closer to each other than DA:I and DA:O but still pretty different.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Da2 is one of the worst games of all time

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I thankfully skipped DA2 entirely but I dropped Inquisition after an hour because the combat was just not something I could see ever myself putting up with for 30 hours or whatever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inquisition as least concentrated all of its terrible character stuff in to one person instead of spreading it around liberally like 2.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Two small updates to the NA store:

Vita game Taco Master is now available in the Canada store. :taco::canada:

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star now has a cross-buy offer. It was released last month without one. If you bought one of the versions before the cross-buy offer was put up, go back to the listing you did not buy to claim its free version.
PS4 version, free if you own Vita version
Vita version, free if you own PS4 version

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uh so my PS+ stopped being PS+ apparently and hasn't been doing what it's supposed to for two weeks since I renewed it. All the auto-upload/download/trophy sync stuff is switched on (and all games are set to upload saves) but none of that stuff happens. The PS3 still turns on when it's supposed to do its thing but it just doesn't do it. I get no notifications for that stuff when I turn it on, either, which is what got me suspicious.

There's still a bunch of space for saves and I just tried manually uploading them and all new saves I've made (aside from one, bizarrely) are greyed out when I try to copy them to the cloud. What's this all about?

E: Copying the saves manually one by one apparently works but for each one I get some warning about how I won't be able to download them too many times in 24 hours or something. But still, why no auto update? :(

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 10, 2016

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I'm sure this has been done to death by now but this is pretty much the first time ever I've been even remotely interested in the franchise so what's so lovely about DA2?
Dragon Age: Origins built its audience on the rubble of the Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate communities, both of whom loved big, moddable game engines with bundled community tools. Then Dragon Age 2 came along and enraged the largely PC fanbase by simplifying a lot of the mechanics, making it a lot more console friendly and (as I understand it) removing most of the mod support. If I remember rightly, it was one of the first games to come from the ea / bioware deal, so a lot of the ire was directed at ea 'dumbing down.'

Plus as was noted earlier, it went from covering an entire country to focussing on one city in detail, people just forget the amount of detail they put into that city and the amount of cultures clashing in that city at the time. If you liked 3/ inquisition, you'll probably like 2 - people just hated 2 because it was too mainstream for rpg hipsters.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 10, 2016

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That's not why people hated DA2 after DA:O. The combat in DA2 was much worse, replacing the tactical combat where positioning was important with waves of monsters spawning.

Nobody hated going from a country in DA:O to a city in DA2 because they were RPG hipsters or forgot how much detail was in it. They hated it because DA2 had a really short development cycle, leading to a lack of detail. Maps were reused over and over for sidequests.

You really should not question the validity of criticisms of a game you have not even played.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dragon Age 2 isn't really a bad game to be honest, it's just really bland and by the numbers. It feels cobbled together and it commits the sin of being completely uninteresting.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The massive re-use of areas was the only reason I never completed DA2 more than once. By the time I had finished the game I felt like I had already played the game through 5 times and was already burned out.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I remember the DLC for DA2 being better than the main game but not by much.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lady got alot of bad heat and internet drama for writing it but hoky poo poo was DA2 horribly written. It oversexualized females, made everyone gay, and made no sense.

I hate rpgs, especialky pc nerd ones, but I beat DA:O on pc and loved it. I was SO excited about DA2 and then they put THAT poo poo out. It killed any interest in Inquisition with me. I haven't even played it yet.

DA2 reminds me of borderlands in that it pondered to the insane stupid fanbase. There's memes referenced, characters are all ridiculous etc. I think the head writer said her goal was to make you "gigglesquee"... Yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the import thread still alive? What's the slate of import friendly games look like for PS4 in 2016?

Looks like Gundam Breaker is the only thing I've been interested in aside from Puyo Tetris

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Biggest thing to come out recently is Assault Suits Leynos, just an action game so its very importable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

grrarg posted:

That's not why people hated DA2 after DA:O. The combat in DA2 was much worse, replacing the tactical combat where positioning was important with waves of monsters spawning.

Nobody hated going from a country in DA:O to a city in DA2 because they were RPG hipsters or forgot how much detail was in it. They hated it because DA2 had a really short development cycle, leading to a lack of detail. Maps were reused over and over for sidequests.

You really should not question the validity of criticisms of a game you have not even played.

In DA2 enemies literally just fell out of the sky during fights, and pretty often they had them spawn in your back lines just because. It was awful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

rabidsquid posted:

In DA2 enemies literally just fell out of the sky during fights

The way someone described it once at the time was "reinforcements just keep foot ninja'ing into every single battle" and I chuckled at it, but it seriously got tiresome not only because the battle system was so boring but because that lazy rear end foot ninja poo poo was not only true but such a constant throughout the game that the joke wasn't even funny anymore after the first five times.

Looking back it's hard to look at DA2 and present in a way that is so bad it's great, because it really is bad, and some of it is incredibly groan-inducing (zombie Mom) to the point you aren't sure if it isn't all a straight up parody (no, it's not, meet David Gayder and that lady who wrote Merryl). But it's also boring in a way that eats at you and being thrown into the same four dungeons for like thirty hours is just pathetic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

The lady got alot of bad heat and internet drama for writing it but hoky poo poo was DA2 horribly written. It oversexualized females, made everyone gay, and made no sense.

I hate rpgs, especialky pc nerd ones, but I beat DA:O on pc and loved it. I was SO excited about DA2 and then they put THAT poo poo out. It killed any interest in Inquisition with me. I haven't even played it yet.

DA2 reminds me of borderlands in that it pondered to the insane stupid fanbase. There's memes referenced, characters are all ridiculous etc. I think the head writer said her goal was to make you "gigglesquee"... Yeah.

Patrick Weekes once said on the PA forums that the Dragon Age writing team took cues from the webcomic Questionable Content, and anyone who knows QC will be haunted by the aptness of that comparison.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

grrarg posted:

DA2 is what you get when everything about the development (writing, assets, encounter design, etc) seems like it had to roll with the first 'draft'. There are nuggets of good stuff to be had, but there is a lot of crap to sift through to to find them. A shame. Structurally I liked it - the whole framing-tale thing, and following the fortunes of a group of people in a particular place over time. But the apparent need to get it done *quick* undermined almost everything about it.

rabidsquid posted:

In DA2 enemies literally just fell out of the sky during fights, and pretty often they had them spawn in your back lines just because. It was awful.

Thats what stopped me from my first attempt at playing it, certainly. There was one fight in particular, a fight I was finding tough, so I was paying extra attention to what I was doing on the re-try, and then after besting the first batch of enemies, the game just poured enemies into the field all around me. Non-magical enemies at that. Dudes just popped in, all around my party.

I gave the game another pop a few years later, but played it on casual. Knowing the encounter design wasn't going to respect the player (as it were), I instead sought to minise the impact of combat on the game. Edit: And ultimately I enjoyed it, on that basis. But I was willing to sift. Never going to hold it against someone who isn't.

Edit: For me at least, DA:I hit the right balance of elements. Played more of that game that DA:O and DS2 put together, and then some.

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How is the Godzilla game for PS4? A local shop has it at discount on 20 bucks and I'm sorely tempted to buy it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How is the Godzilla game for PS4? A local shop has it at discount on 20 bucks and I'm sorely tempted to buy it.

I hear that is the perfect price point for it, especially if you're a GOJIRA fan.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

Patrick Weekes once said on the PA forums that the Dragon Age writing team took cues from the webcomic Questionable Content, and anyone who knows QC will be haunted by the aptness of that comparison.

Explains alot.

Wobbler
Jan 31, 2008
Only you can save mankind

Stare-Out posted:

Uh so my PS+ stopped being PS+ apparently and hasn't been doing what it's supposed to for two weeks since I renewed it. All the auto-upload/download/trophy sync stuff is switched on (and all games are set to upload saves) but none of that stuff happens. The PS3 still turns on when it's supposed to do its thing but it just doesn't do it. I get no notifications for that stuff when I turn it on, either, which is what got me suspicious.

There's still a bunch of space for saves and I just tried manually uploading them and all new saves I've made (aside from one, bizarrely) are greyed out when I try to copy them to the cloud. What's this all about?

E: Copying the saves manually one by one apparently works but for each one I get some warning about how I won't be able to download them too many times in 24 hours or something. But still, why no auto update? :(

Yeah, I'm having the same problem, and have seen multiple others reporting it on various sites. Started around December 21 or 22, and hasn't worked since. Definitely seems to be something on Sony's side, although anyone who's contacted them just gets told to reset their PS3 to factory conditions, which doesn't fix the problem.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

Is the import thread still alive? What's the slate of import friendly games look like for PS4 in 2016?

Looks like Gundam Breaker is the only thing I've been interested in aside from Puyo Tetris

Off the top of my head there's a new Sengoku Basara, Gundam Breaker 3, DOA Xtreme 3 and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 are both getting English Asian releases, a bunch of 2D anime fighters, Assault Suit Leynos, and a new Kamen Rider Battride War are coming out in the next few months for PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

its not good.

graphics are bad, playcontrol is slow and awkward, level design and variety is terrible BUT they have all the creatures you care about if you are a real godzilla fan and its fun for probably 8-10 hours before you realize how much grinding you'd have to do to advance through the upgrade trees.

if you actually do put like 20 hours into doing the same poo poo over and over again you will unlock enough abilities to make godzilla actually fun to use and more in line with standard brawler mechanics but for some reason the devs decided to lock all the decent moves behind collecting huge amounts of randomly dropped mats.

if you like godzilla it is worth 10-20 bucks if you don't like godzilla don't get it.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13

Oh, that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on Nobunaga's Ambition. I know both of these series' are pretty deep strategy games. Is one a bit simpler than the other? I'm a bit more educated on Japanese history, but if Romance of the 3 Kingdoms is more beginner-friendly I may wait for that one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

its not good.

graphics are bad, playcontrol is slow and awkward, level design and variety is terrible BUT they have all the creatures you care about if you are a real godzilla fan and its fun for probably 8-10 hours before you realize how much grinding you'd have to do to advance through the upgrade trees.

if you actually do put like 20 hours into doing the same poo poo over and over again you will unlock enough abilities to make godzilla actually fun to use and more in line with standard brawler mechanics but for some reason the devs decided to lock all the decent moves behind collecting huge amounts of randomly dropped mats.

if you like godzilla it is worth 10-20 bucks if you don't like godzilla don't get it.

That doesn't sounds too appealing. How it stands to the PS2 games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How it stands to the PS2 games?

a step back

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Well crap. Better save my money for something else then. Thanks!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well crap. Better save my money for something else then. Thanks!

do you have edf 4.1 yet? they put godzilla, dragons, and gundams in it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

barren_sky posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on Nobunaga's Ambition. I know both of these series' are pretty deep strategy games. Is one a bit simpler than the other? I'm a bit more educated on Japanese history, but if Romance of the 3 Kingdoms is more beginner-friendly I may wait for that one.

They're similar games but this RoTK is "officer based" instead of the "ruler based" games like Nobunaga's Ambition. They're usually pretty good about explaining what's happening on history at the time and you can piece together a lot of the rest. In officer games, you control a person, either like the ruler or a warrior or a diplomat or an unemployed guy and you make your way through the era. You can look up RoTKs 7, 8, and 10 to get a better picture of it. Here's the most recent trailer for 13

https://youtu.be/uYMoLRc2IUA

All the strategy stuff is still there but there's an even greater interpersonal angle to work with which I enjoy a lot more than the classic Romance or Nobunaga style. Coincidentally the most recent Nobunaga game is getting a new version to make it more like an officer game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
If you want a classic giant monster brawler, the newly released PS4 version of the PS2 War of the Monsters wouldn't be a bad choice, I think.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

barren_sky posted:

Policenaut covered it nicely, but if you decide to try the recent NA, I posted some helpful information regarding it in the Before I Play thread (not on the wiki :argh:)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=449952763

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yo Arc the Lad PS2 is the next PS4/PS2 Classic. Comes out Tuesday.

• Locked thread