Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

:omarcomin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

lol if this isn't your reaction to seeing any production cable ever

realtalk tho when I used to install cable we used to follow the "who's the rear end in a top hat" rule. someone is gonna have to work on what you did, even if it's you in a year. never be the answer to the question "who's the rear end in a top hat who did THIS?"

i remember a year or so ago we had a telco guy out to do something. he was visibly upset at how a tech from a different telco had garbaged up the punchdown block.

i don't think i have ever heard anything good about integra telecom beyond "they are cheap"

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

I haven't used the cisco stuff but the small exposure to Avaya I had was that it was just as complicated and feature limited as asterisk but also cost money. Right now we use ININ for our complicated stuff and asterisk for dialtone.
I used to administer a Definity system (I didn't install it though) - the IVR/call center stuff was really easy and pretty powerful, everything else was overly complicated

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ININ is retardedly expensive but I don't think its like Cisco or Avaya expensive and ININ has insane customization potential.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wyoak posted:

I used to administer a Definity system (I didn't install it though) - the IVR/call center stuff was really easy and pretty powerful, everything else was overly complicated

avaya's stuff was extremely powerful but gah if it wasn't opaque

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i'm in an avaya environment right now and it's kinda like being home after spending a few years in an as400 hotel system

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ATSC is going to be kinda ownage because its going to an IP multicast carrier with h.265 data and so the number of channels/audio carriers/whatever you want to jam in your frequency band is exclusively dictated by the amount of bandwidth and what resolution/bitrate you chose to broadcast in. so you could do like 4 1080p channels, or 1 UHD channel and maybe 1 additional SD channel, or 16 SD channels, or whatever other combo inbetween you can dream up

everything does this already

it's why the channels look worse when they squeeze more in

since they've started to run out of bandwidth they have started to lower the error correction too

e:F;B

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 9, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

everything does this already

it's why the channels look worse when they squeeze more in

since they've started to run out of bandwidth they have started to lower the error correction too

e:F;B

american channels haven't looked worse at all, are you thinking of some dumb foreign standard??

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

american channels haven't looked worse at all, are you thinking of some dumb foreign standard??

They look worse not because of the carrier standard, but because of the source. Most 1080P content over cable networks is garbage encoding.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

They look worse not because of the carrier standard, but because of the source. Most 1080P content over cable networks is garbage encoding.

ftfy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powercrazy posted:

that's not ATSC ya moron

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
yeah that's DVB. UK broadcasters do it and it's shocking. same for DAB radio which sounds worse than FM ever did

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

thehustler posted:

yeah that's DVB. UK broadcasters do it and it's shocking. same for DAB radio which sounds worse than FM ever did

nothing says progression like mp2

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thehustler posted:

uk digital radio sounds dire. us digital radio is great, and it's even on the same frequency as the analog channel. can't imagine why the uk thought it would be a good idea to pick a new and smaller band altogether.

sucks that us digital radio is some weird proprietary codec thing but w/e

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Westie posted:

nothing says progression like mp2

well it is progressive scan

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fishmech posted:

uk digital radio sounds dire. us digital radio is great, and it's even on the same frequency as the analog channel. can't imagine why the uk thought it would be a good idea to pick a new and smaller band altogether.

sucks that us digital radio is some weird proprietary codec thing but w/e

it cant possibly sound worse than sirius/xm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

i saw a thing about their bandwidth way back when. they've got way less than your average FM band per channel for audio based on the spectrum they use abd the number if channels

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i saw a thing about their bandwidth way back when. they've got way less than your average FM band per channel for audio based on the spectrum they use abd the number if channels

yeah i remember reading that too and unsurprisingly the compression scheme they use sounds like it's been filtered through someone's unwashed rear end in a top hat

i also hate having to feign being impressed whenever someone gets a trial sub of it in their new car or whatever and then cranks it up really loudly. why do people pay for that poo poo

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I bought a car that came with a trial sub, after a month I was convinced never to pay for it.

then the trial sub stayed on for the two years I had the car :iiam:

half of the channels could be replaced with a good playlist for what it's worth

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beeftweeter posted:

uk digital radio and us satellite radio end up with most channels using the same amount of quality, and it's real bad

most uk digital radio stations use 128 kbps MP2 when you really need like 192 or 256 for cd quality.
most sirius/xm music channels get 40 to 64 kbps channels but since they're using he-aac it's about on par with the 128 kbps british radio

in the old days sirius used some weird proprietary format that was worse than the he-aac format, although they did have slightly more bandwidth for each channel

in comparison, US/Canada "hd radio" format uses a he-aac derived codec at 40 or 60 kbps for AM digital radio, and 125-150 kbps signal on FM. and if you listen, you'll notice that they usually have one high bandwidth subchannel simulcasting the analog, and then a lower bandwidth signal or two for simulcasting an am station or a different audio program. a station can also go full digital and have 300 kbps to play with, but there's like 2 of those across the continent. you could get like 3 really nice quality simultaneous music channels or a single 5.1 surrpund channel out of that. also many of the ones that operate in analog-digital mode just have a single really high bandwidth signal for the simulcast.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

who listens to the radio tho?

i wonder what bbc radio stations use for their web streams

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I listen to public radio sometimes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Awia posted:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/other/streaming_codecs_bitrates

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i remember reading that too and unsurprisingly the compression scheme they use sounds like it's been filtered through someone's unwashed rear end in a top hat

i also hate having to feign being impressed whenever someone gets a trial sub of it in their new car or whatever and then cranks it up really loudly. why do people pay for that poo poo

call them up and complain on your hardwired phone

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Awia posted:

In my country, some folks who started a facebook campaign got enough people to vote online for the 2015 public radio end-of-the-year top 2000, they got "Gotta catch 'em all" in and public radio was forced to play that. So yes, there are still reasons to listen to public radio.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beeftweeter posted:

I think for a lot of people "sound quality" comes down to whether they can hear any hiss or not. no hiss = SOUNDS FUCKEN GREAT MAN

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I think for a lot of people "sound quality" comes down to whether they can hear any hiss or not. no hiss = SOUNDS FUCKEN GREAT MAN

remember that the xm players used to (and may still) be designed by bose, and this was used as a selling point for the consumer

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

all that stuff hisses like a motherfucker anyway but normies will never notice it over nvh

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
sorry I know this isn't a landline but it's funny

quote:

During the network news presented from Wellington, if an inject was required from Auckland, Auckland would switch from transmitting Wellington pictures to transmitting, briefly a black screen with a small white "A" in the corner. Then each transmitter down the country would have to switch over so that the "A" would eventually appear in Wellington and beyond. Once all centres could see the "A" caption, the Auckland inject would be played. At the end of the item, the process would be reversed with a "W" for Wellington being switched sequentially, and then finally the Wellington presenter would appear again in all centres. The viewer would see a black non-synchronous switch which would take a second or so. Eagle-eyed viewers could see the identification letters change on the corner of the screen. Those with poor vertical hold would have to wait a little longer for the picture to stabilise. Occasionally, a transmitter would be switched out of sequence and the viewers would be treated to the sight of 100 kW of video feedback.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_One_(New_Zealand)

thehustler fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 10, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

yeah it's mostly an Australian thing he's talking about because ATSC is the major tv distribution method in this country. it was p nice to start but they're slowly replacing channels from a single 1080 feed into a couple 720s because the only alternative is dropping $100+ a month for cable via the Foxtel monopoly
this is why Netflix is doing so well here that it impacts internet quality in the evenings

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 10, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of the things we'll have at ranch 290, which will have several outbuildings spaced out on a 20-100 acre plot, will be a telephone network

it will probably be asterisk-based but will have a fallback network of field telephones with the accompanying switchboard

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the things we'll have at ranch 290, which will have several outbuildings spaced out on a 20-100 acre plot, will be a telephone network

it will probably be asterisk-based but will have a fallback network of field telephones with the accompanying switchboard

why does that look like so much fun to play with

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

twisted pair ftw

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Satellit3 posted:

all that stuff hisses like a motherfucker anyway but normies will never notice it over nvh

I meant like tape or fm radio hiss

Normies dont realize that cymbals shouldnt sound like theyre behind a fan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trabisnikof posted:

if you plug that dangling wire into one of those sockets and crank the big knob, it rings that phone :D

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

cause it loving well IS

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Awia posted:

there's good public radio where I live

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wbez is a good public radio station

also everyone I know who canceled xm/Sirius continued to have their car served for months/years afterwards, apparently they're not very good at deactivating receivers

I don't know why anyone ever paid for it in the first place, it sounds like hot garbage

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

because you have access to such revolutionary exclusive entertainment you cant get anywhere else like opie and anthony, howard stern, jason ellis, the 24/7 elvis station, the best hits of the 1990s etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minivanmegafun posted:

wbez is a good public radio station

also everyone I know who canceled xm/Sirius continued to have their car served for months/years afterwards, apparently they're not very good at deactivating receivers

I don't know why anyone ever paid for it in the first place, it sounds like hot garbage

the one person i know who's actively kept it is a dude who travels across the country by car for some service thing, all over rear end-end nowhere places with cell service too unreliable for internet streaming and where the only terrestrial radio is the conservative talk radio, the two jesus stations, and a corporate country station.

• Locked thread