Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Bravo posted:

It's traumatic, but also kind of cathartic. It's perfect the way it is, gently caress the haters, if they don't like it that's their deal but I would be pretty disappointed if you changed it. It's raw and emotional and fierce in a way that few other online art offerings can be.

Yeah. It's not something that's ever going to be funfunfun happy but I can't take my eyes off it which has to mean something.

And anyway, if you really wanted to sell out you shouldn't make a funny strip either, you should make a webcomic about a dozen attractive underage teenagers with colorcoded superpowers.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh christ, you posted it again, ohhhh nooo.

Ok, here's my childhood trauma that makes tears well up every time I see this comic. I was like, four years old, and we had kittens in the house. And they were adorable, and I loved playing with them, and it was a great time for everyone involved. One night I couldn't find one of the kittens. I looked, and looked, and finally found the naughty kitten hiding behind a chair. It was pooping! I scolded the kitten, "BAD KITTY!" and picked it up, and took it to the litter box. I set it in the litter box, and it just laid there. It just laid there, and did nothing. I finally went and got my mom. Turns out, the chair it was hiding behind? A rocking chair. The kitten had gotten squished, and that wasn't poop coming out it's butt, that was it's intestines. I think I probably cried for an entire day, after that, and my mom got rid of all the kittens because just seeing one made me cry again! It took me a few years after that to be able to handle kittens again, and even to this day I still remember that poor kitten, especially when I see something like this.

It's traumatic, but also kind of cathartic. It's perfect the way it is, gently caress the haters, if they don't like it that's their deal but I would be pretty disappointed if you changed it. It's raw and emotional and fierce in a way that few other online art offerings can be.

I think part of the reason that panel gets me is when I watched my first dog get hit by a car at like 12, that's pretty much a dead-on parody of me and my dad when he ambled down to speculate about the most convenient way to dispose of the broken dog, with him still flopping around on the ground trying to get up

A.o.D. posted:

You want some weapons grade trauma?

One time, when I was 9 years old, my father got so angry at me that he picked me up by my head in a kind of bear hug and carried me across the room. This caused my nose to bleed. The next day, being a child, I mentioned that this had happened at school. Within a day or two the state had taken custody of my brothers and I. I spent the next year as a ward of the state. I would only see my father two more times in my life.

aaaand i think you're set for next update

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My sad cat story:

Back when I was still in elementary school, a sort-of-stray cat (she showed up at our place and we started taking care of her sometimes and stuff) had kittens in the backyard, and they'd come out sometimes and stuff. One cold morning, I went out to the driveway and started the truck. After I did that, I heard something, and looked under the truck. One of the kittens was under there, thrashing and bleeding. I panicked and ran inside to get my mom; apparently, the kitten had climbed up inside under the truck, probably because it was warm in there, and when I started it the machinery eviscerated it.

I didn't go to school that day. Even now I'm still paranoid whenever I start a vehicle that a cat might be hiding inside, so I check to make sure one.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Captain Bravo posted:

mycot posted:

Yeah. It's not something that's ever going to be funfunfun happy but I can't take my eyes off it which has to mean something.
It prompts a good "I'm going to stare at the wall for a few minutes now" response.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I get that and I get she's stressed/pissed but she's attacking civilians (yes, annoying, pushy, civilians but still, ultimately, powerless civilians) with her powers which absolutely crosses the line.

I interpreted it as she was just powering up as a 'hey, back off' display.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Plethora posted:

I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Oh good I can just ask you directly. I noticed that the main character seems consistent across all the stories. Is this all supposed to be happening to one person (maybe "Megumi Tomoe")? Shall I select for personal trauma that would be consistent with the speaker being a girl?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I don't see any reason why someone shouldn't talk about their own comic in here as long as they aren't being a weirdo about it or breaking the forum rules. (Tip, though, pretending it's someone else's comic is weird.)

The comic itself reminds me a bit of this print one:

Bit of a different focus, of course.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't think it was the other comic makers being wierdos about it that caused them to stop posting in here

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Oh good I can just ask you directly. I noticed that the main character seems consistent across all the stories. Is this all supposed to be happening to one person (maybe "Megumi Tomoe")? Shall I select for personal trauma that would be consistent with the speaker being a girl?

Sure!

The main bunny is more like an actor recreating the stories for the comic. There's no continuity since a lot of stories are from different people (some readers have given me several stories, which was great).

The stories can be from the perspective of any gender. The characters are simple enough to play around with.

Megumi is a character from Serious Engineering . She's a cartoonist whose work became a cult classic after she died in an accident. Her boyfriend, who is one of the main cast, witnessed her death and tells us her story in an interview for an anniversary biography. It's rough for him seeing her photos and comics in bookstores and in posters and he thinks helping out with the biography will give him some closure.

I wanted to make actual Bunny Meat strips to make that part of the comic feel more 'real'. People started sending me their own traumas (which is great since I ran out of my own after the first few strips) and it gained a life of it's own.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Cool. I don't really feel like making an account for another site so I'll just pm you my traumas.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

...does anyone else like Prague Race has completely died as a story? The characters are reunited and apart from getting the thing off Leona's back, they can pretty much just walk back through the portal and go home. It's not like Miko can't just get a new pair of pants and turn back into a human. They're currently loving about on an airship humouring some guy because they have to do something, I guess.

I mean they could go run around with werewolves seeing fun characters in a crazy world, but there's still no driving force in the story that I can see.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...does anyone else like Prague Race has completely died as a story? The characters are reunited and apart from getting the thing off Leona's back, they can pretty much just walk back through the portal and go home. It's not like Miko can't just get a new pair of pants and turn back into a human. They're currently loving about on an airship humouring some guy because they have to do something, I guess.

I mean they could go run around with werewolves seeing fun characters in a crazy world, but there's still no driving force in the story that I can see.

Yeah, it feels like it's really lost any sense of narrative urgency since they all got back together - it'd been meandering a bit for a while, though, frankly, and now it really feels like the reason they're humoring the ship guy is because the author likes the character a lot, full stop. There was a hint of horror elements resurfacing when Leona's hand thing seemed to take her over in Colin's room a bit back, but I guess nothing came of that?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Giant Ethicist posted:

There was a hint of horror elements resurfacing when Leona's hand thing seemed to take her over in Colin's room a bit back, but I guess nothing came of that?

I realise it feels like longer when you're reading it day to day, but it's only been 18 pages since that. Leona's parasitic ghost hands and impending death haven't been forgotten, they're just not immediately relevant to this scene, the scene that is in fact the only scene that has occurred since the last scene where it was relevant.

I agree that it's lacking urgency, though. They're sat around humouring this dude because Colin feels compelled to work off his debt to hand-ears lady, and Leona refuses to either abandon him or frog-march his sorry backside back through the portal. Colin only incurred that debt because he deliberately chose to take a job rather than have her cancel the cheque (and, to be fair to him, from his perspective it didn't seem like he had many options at that point). The only reason hand-ears lady had to cut a cheque in the first place is because some rear end in a top hat decided it'd be fun to sell Colin for parts instead of rescuing him, and the only reason that flew is because in this world, a world Colin never wanted to come to, humans are unpeople. There's a reason for it and it's all consistent with the characters as presented, the problem is that, while ostensibly our protagonists are held hostage by circumstances beyond their control, it doesn't feel as if any of the other characters would care much if they decided to just disappear. There's no active antagonist, so the only reason we're stuck here is that Colin is lawful stupid.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Plethora, your comic is good, keep doing it.

But unless you're actually Japanese, edit out the 'Megumi Tomoe', you loving weeb.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For as much as we give tumblr a hard time for being tumblr, it's loving funny how often goons come out with similar poo poo.

"You have a Japanese character in your comic, therefore you must want to be Japanese, that's not cool, stop it at once". Just, jesus, listen to yourself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not a character, it's the name the strips are signed with. Which is pretty loving weeb, sorry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megazver posted:

It's not a character, it's the name the strips are signed with. Which is pretty loving weeb, sorry.

You have issues.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

You have issues.

Nah. :smugdog:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Megazver posted:

Plethora, your comic is good, keep doing it. But unless you're actually Japanese, edit out the 'Megumi Tomoe', you loving weeb.

Megazver posted:

:goonsay:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh my God, Saturday's Wonderella has Fantomah in it.

I never dreamed of such a marvelous crossover.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Plethora posted:

Megumi is a character from Serious Engineering .

You have issues.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

Megumi IS a character. I explained it a couple of posts before yours.

Here's the post again in case you didn't catch it:

Plethora posted:

Megumi is a character from Serious Engineering . She's a cartoonist whose work became a cult classic after she died in an accident. Her boyfriend, who is one of the main cast, witnessed her death and tells us her story in an interview for an anniversary biography. It's rough for him seeing her photos and comics in bookstores and in posters and he thinks helping out with the biography will give him some closure.

The story takes place in Vancouver, which has a relatively high Japanese and Chinese population. Her heritage makes sense for the setting. She's not even a main character - the main cast is an African American woman, a Ukrainian Jew, a biracial Mexican, and his Czech boyfriend. I'm not terribly interested in Japanese culture and stuff - I don't even like anime all that much. I'm way more interested in Western comics and animation since there's generally more variety in styles. I DO like Cat Soup and the weird stories about the creator, though, which led to Megumi's creation.

Here's an old drawing of her:

Edit: Thanks for the support Renaissance Robot, Jackard, ChairMaster and Oxxidation. You guys are what it's all about.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Guys they obv just trollin, don't feed them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Lobe posted:

hell yeah

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I didn't recognize the character, but then I saw the newsbox and the words "Fletcher Hanks" and it all made sense.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So per today's announcement, Sluggy Freelance will officially end on its 20th Anniversary. Which isn't for another year and a half (august 2017), but at least Pete's sticking a pin in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah sure pull the other one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Being the Sluggy Freelance guy after ending Sluggy Freelance gotta be like one of those ex-cons trying to deal with the outside world after 40 years in prison

I give it a month until he reoffends

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think we'll be able to tell if he reoffends or not for another five years or so, though?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought this was just a reference to Stardust the Super Wizard, your post got me to look up Fantomah.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bunny Meat is good. A bitter clove in the honeyed ham of life.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Reiley posted:

A bitter clove in the honeyed ham of life.

New thread title please.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Newest Bunny Meat with a story from an SA contributor!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
oh god if you use mine please don't put my forums handle on it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hahaha

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm sorry you got AIDS because of a videogame.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's poppy opossom been on hiatus for, anybody know

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Tollymain posted:

what's poppy opossom been on hiatus for, anybody know

Sadly, no clue, but sounds like it should be back Feb 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A.o.D. posted:

oh god if you use mine please don't put my forums handle on it.

Yeah, I don't dislike pavlov or anything but the only thing stopping me from buying him a hilarious bunny avatar/title right now is the fact I'm utterly skint.

Because that story is comedy gold, and just perfectly goony in every way.

• Locked thread