Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

After owning the game for 2 years, finally got to play Avalon for the first time. Went great except for one guy either intentionally sabotaged the game or was too stupid to realize that good guys should never fail the quest.

What games in the past year or two have dropped that's light to medium light? Looking for things that are easy to teach that don't require dependence on a reference sheet. I have Dominion and Intrigue, Pandemic, Between Two Cities, Avalon, Codenames, Tsuro, Bang the Dice game, Love Letter, and Hanabi for quick access games. A friend has TTR, and I'm looking to pick up King of New York.

Anything glaring that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Shadow225 posted:

What games in the past year or two have dropped that's light to medium light? Looking for things that are easy to teach that don't require dependence on a reference sheet. I have Dominion and Intrigue, Pandemic, Between Two Cities, Avalon, Codenames, Tsuro, Bang the Dice game, Love Letter, and Hanabi for quick access games. A friend has TTR, and I'm looking to pick up King of New York.

Anything glaring that I'm missing?
Splendor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shadow225 posted:

After owning the game for 2 years, finally got to play Avalon for the first time. Went great except for one guy either intentionally sabotaged the game or was too stupid to realize that good guys should never fail the quest.

Don't the rules say that they can't?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Again, I don't know if he was dense or non-compliant. Same dude was getting a bit of AP during Tsuro.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

The rules do indeed say that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Heck, the vote cards in Avalon even have what side is allowed to play them on it. The fail card has the red icon and the success has both. I've had better results once I started pointing that out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

There seem to be a heck of a lot of reports of this all of a sudden. You must be the third person at least to say it's happened to you. Have they put something in the water?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jedit posted:

There seem to be a heck of a lot of reports of this all of a sudden. You must be the third person at least to say it's happened to you. Have they put something in the water?

Probably just a function of there being a lot of new players around the holidays.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey y'all The Gallerist is good. More to come later. Probably not my favorite Vital Lacerda game, but definitely the best one if your group prefers Caverna to Agricola. More later.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I like it, but the downtime can get brutal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Just play it more times with the same people. If y'all aren't AP then it will, like other Vital games, start going fast.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I say that because if things line up right with kicked out moves, it can be a very long time before you will get another turn.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just got together for a big game night and we tried playing The Target

What the gently caress is this game? The rules are complicated and heavy but there's not really that many rules? You have to get clearance but then you have it for the whole game and everyone ends up getting all their clearances on their turn so why not just start with clearance? Why don't the cards for clearances color-correspond to the clearanced cards? Why am I turning in yellow cards to draw (check the rules) white cards?

We gave up after three turns because it was way too much and nobody could really understand what the goal of the game even was. You start with no cards that do anything which makes it even more confusing.

Maybe it'd be better to learn the rules with a smaller group, I dunno. Game supports up to 12 like its a party game but it's too complex to explain quickly like a party game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in Fury of Dracula that the game mentions Dracula can't run away from combat until a number of turns equal to despair has happened. Yet in the example on combat in the Learn to Play guide, the game says that since it's the second week Drac can't run away until the 3rd round since there is one despair on the board.

Nowhere at all of a default number of rounds which i guess is 2? Unless i'm just missing it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was sick the first time I played The Gallerist and didnt know what the gently caress was going on. Something about it stuck with me though and I ended up buying it. It definitely was a bit of a slog the first time through though.

Also got in a few games of Goa -- which is a real solid auction game. Kind of the next step from Ra/Modern Art if you want something a bit heavier and auctiony.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

What do you goons think of rum & bones? I'm currently playing it and not really enjoying it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

T-Bone posted:

I was sick the first time I played The Gallerist and didnt know what the gently caress was going on. Something about it stuck with me though and I ended up buying it. It definitely was a bit of a slog the first time through though.

Also got in a few games of Goa -- which is a real solid auction game. Kind of the next step from Ra/Modern Art if you want something a bit heavier and auctiony.

Goa is super good, yeah, I'm poo poo at it but really like playing it.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in Fury of Dracula that the game mentions Dracula can't run away from combat until a number of turns equal to despair has happened. Yet in the example on combat in the Learn to Play guide, the game says that since it's the second week Drac can't run away until the 3rd round since there is one despair on the board.

Nowhere at all of a default number of rounds which i guess is 2? Unless i'm just missing it.

Here's the rule: If Dracula plays “Escape as Mist” or “Escape as Bat” before he has played a number of combat cards greater than the number of despair tokens on the time track, the card is canceled.

Here's the bit from the example: Since it is the second week of the game, there is only one despair token on the board. If Dracula wishes to escape, he will have to wait until at least round 3 to play an escape card.

There's nothing in conflict here. You can escape on turn #(despair+2).

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Saalkin posted:

What do you goons think of rum & bones? I'm currently playing it and not really enjoying it.

A friend of mine has it in his collection. I declined to play it last weekend. Maybe next time? I dunno, isn't it a two player game?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrDru posted:

Did you get to explain how it works? When are they going to bust out CAH?

I explained how it works, and then people decided to play some weird game where you have to do racially-awkward accents in order to win points.

I don't remember the name of it but it was awkward as all hell.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

COOL CORN posted:

I explained how it works, and then people decided to play some weird game where you have to do racially-awkward accents in order to win points.

So, find a new group? Sounds dreadful.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

COOL CORN posted:

Was it CharDeeMacDennis?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My friend and his game group just played Arkham Horror for the first time. No one knew the rules, so they read the manual line by line.

Sounds like hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like doing that, but I'm weird.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I saw some people playing Codenames and the clue givers were secretly writing on pieces of paper behind shields. I asked them what they were doing, and they said they were writing down their words and scratching them off. They claimed the game went faster because they weren't constantly checking their words. I just rolled my eyes at them. Mentally keeping track of your words and sometimes messing up is part of the game dammit!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ffffff after that game of Puerto Rico I've played a ton on the ios app, been reading up on all the strategies and moves and aaaa gently caress it's all consuming!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was playing codenames the other day and I had this thought while giving clues: "Hey I see 'deck' and 'club' so maybe I can use a playing card reference. Oh! And I can tie those in with 'club' since a black jack is also a type of club!" So I said "Blackjack, 3", referencing 'club' twice :downs:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Played 3 player 18OE Friday using the Austria/Russia scenario!

Beginning

After a couple of ORs

End Game

I won with only ever managing to make one Orient Express run. Planning really good routes + not upgrading my regional while I had 100% stake in it manged to carry the day (this made me at least $1500 until I had to turn it into a major).

Lessons learned:

Getting trains is loving hard if you don't have a second company (preferably a national) to dump old trains on.
Converting your poor performing companies into nationals owns bones, but make sure you always have one Major.
The minor that gives you extra track points can get really silly.
That certificate limit can be a real pain.

This is my second play, and the only 18xx I've played so far. I've really enjoyed it, though I'm worried that I will probably get destroyed or not enjoy the the more stock market focused games most other 18xx players enjoy. I do have high hopes for 1846 though.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Dracula's Pride ability counts the number of combat cards he has previously played this combat, and DOES NOT count the card he is currently playing in combat. (The wording on Pride is kinda wonky, but the combat example on page 13 clarifies the intent.)

So, Dracula gets into combat in week two, and wants to flee. Because one Sunday has passed during the game, the Despair Track has gained one Despair.
  • Round one: Dracula has played no cards this combat. Zero is not greater than one. If Dracula reveals "Escape as Mist/Bat," his Pride ability will interfere and cancel the card. He plays Claws instead.
  • Round two: Dracula has played one card (Claws). One is not greater than one. So if Dracula reveals "Escape as Mist/Bat," his Pride will still interfere and cancel the card. Dracula plays Strength.
  • Round three: Dracula has played two cards (Claws, Strength). Two IS greater than one. Dracula has satisfied his Pride, and can now play an Escape card.

Make sense?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

medchem posted:

I saw some people playing Codenames and the clue givers were secretly writing on pieces of paper behind shields. I asked them what they were doing, and they said they were writing down their words and scratching them off. They claimed the game went faster because they weren't constantly checking their words. I just rolled my eyes at them. Mentally keeping track of your words and sometimes messing up is part of the game dammit!

At some point in the past 2-3 weeks, the group I usually play Codenames with has started doing that too when I wasn't around. I sat down for a game of it on Friday, became Spymaster, and just didn't use it and made fun of their poor spatial awareness :c00lbutt:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thank you both!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guy A. Person posted:

I was playing codenames the other day and I had this thought while giving clues: "Hey I see 'deck' and 'club' so maybe I can use a playing card reference. Oh! And I can tie those in with 'club' since a black jack is also a type of club!" So I said "Blackjack, 3", referencing 'club' twice :downs:

Sounds like a perfectly fine clue since Blackjack is also a card game played with a deck which includes clubs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Durendal posted:

I say that because if things line up right with kicked out moves, it can be a very long time before you will get another turn.

For this to happen, you need to be playing very badly. Part of the strategy in The Gallerist is to time your moves so that you will be kicked out. I've played three or four times now, all with three players and every time the game has ground to a halt when someone has gone to the toilet.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Sounds like a perfectly fine clue since Blackjack is also a card game played with a deck which includes clubs.

A perfectly fine clue, aside from the "3" which is what that post was about...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jibs Monteef posted:

A perfectly fine clue, aside from the "3" which is what that post was about...

Ohhhhhh, right, I see. Sorry!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is 1853 as a beginners 18xx game?

It's for sale for 30 € which seems really cheap.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Selecta84 posted:

How is 1853 as a beginners 18xx game?

It's for sale for 30 € which seems really cheap.
1853 isn't really an 18xx game, it's what happens when someone thinks there is too many market sheninigans in 1830 and thus decides to create one with barely any market.

It's not really a competitive game either, because it's aim is just to create companies and see them spread accross the map.
It is nice if you are a group of experienced 18xxers that just played a weekend filled with 18xx and what something relaxing in the afternoon. I wouldn't recommend it for newbies because it has weird rules and doesn't really teach you to play an 18xx game

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Trynant posted:

This reminds me how much I love Ora & Labora of Rosenberg's designs (though Agricola is slowly becoming my favorite), yet I yearn for some fantasy where it's reprinted with a far more ergonomic design (i.e. better boards and larger cards that can actually be read at a glance on other player boards like the game requires). One can dream :smith:

Ora has been reprinted with thicker boards, and I was able to directly order an upgrade set for my older copy. Sadly, I don't think the cards will ever be reprinted to be larger, due to how much space it would need to take up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One of the people at our game nights hates playing a bad guy in any of the social games like Resistance: Avalon or One Night: Ultimate Werewolf. She will actually vote for the mission to pass every time. This was funny when my wife was Merlin, and the last quest had two minions in it, so she threw up her arms, declared herself Merlin and went to get some food. The mission succeeded, much to her confusion, but then when the assassination phase came around, it was pretty obvious what to do.

Honestly, it would have been a brilliant move if she was Percival instead. What made it funnier is in something like 10+ games, she had never been Merlin, and was chomping at the bit to try it once.

Some people just can't take the idea of being the "bad guy." We tried to come up with a narrative in Avalon to help her out, but it doesn't help that all the minion cards have really horrendous-looking people on them on red backgrounds. It's really hard to come up with a cover story for that. Like, "King Arthur had Merlin cast a spell that prevents all the Minions of Mordred from sleeping, so that's why your eyes are a little screwed up. You want to stop all those bastards because their goal is to make the kingdom toil sleeplessly forever." She's kind of like my 9-year-old Catholic school self who thought walking down the wrong side of the road was a sin or something. It's really awkward; we prefer the little goody-two-shoes that turn :devil:horrifically evil:devil: when given a chance.

Like really, what's it going to do to your moral permanent record? You drift off to the afterlife and get committed to a pit of despair because they relished being a bad guy in a role playing game one time in their otherwise spotless life. Do I have this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some people are just weird.