Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Goodbye village, hello castle! Also hello completely silly gaggle of antagonists! What's next, a Metal Gear Solid-esque metaphor-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice; I much prefer the semi-auto rifle over the bolt-action. The vastly increased fire-rate - plus being able to stay scoped-in between shots - is incredibly useful.

I usually hold out for the third shotgun you get access to though... it's my favourite.

Oh man, the first time you see Leon suplex a not-zombie cultist monk is always magical. :allears:

The part with the catapults is nicely made. There are areas that they can't reach, and you might think "hey, I'll leave Ashley here, where it's safe" - but then there are not-zombies that spawn in unannounced where you entered, and start moving through the area looking for you or Ashley... If they find her, you'll hear her suddenly start shrieking as they grab her and start carrying her off to the exit. You didn't actually see them in the video of course, but I think you could hear them chanting in the background.

Since you were focussed on the painting for a bit; it's often a good idea to shoot or knife (or maybe just investigate) paintings you come across.

I remember it being said (by the lead designer at a studio I used to work at, actually) that it was obvious that the writing in RE4 basically amounted to the designers saying "well, the characters need to say something here", and not much thought went into it beyond that. I'm inclined to think that it's maybe that to a degree, but also just some awkwardness in it being written in English, but by Japanese people.

Whatever it is, it gave the voice-actors a chance to ham it up wonderfully; there's a lot more where "No thanks, bro!" came from. It's still cringe-worthy at times... but it wouldn't be RE4 without it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
No Resident Evil 4 LP is complete without constant impressions of the merchant. It's expected of everyone, like leaving in the inventory Tetris.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
So one of the many many reasons I love RE4 as much as I do.
All of Leon's lines are really stupid and kinda bad, but the VA says them with just enough conviction that it works.

EDIT: My favorite one is yet to come and i'm really looking forward to it.

JMolen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 8, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Gonna be one of those guys again: sell the beerstein and the mask now. You missed your chance to complete them. That being said, suplexes are awesome and I admire that you desire to perform them as often as you want to. Wait for them to not run before you kneecap them. It helps.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
CJacobs, go back and buy that rifle damage upgrade right now young man. At 7 Damage, the Semi-Auto rifle already does 2 per shot more than the bolt-action, and for a pittance you can boost it to 8. That's almost double what the shotgun was doing, and should probably be enough to kill one of those squiddly-diddlies in a single headshot, right?

Edit: Oh dang, I got super excited when I saw the sword flashing, because I figured Leon was going to get to cut some fools in half. Then I got super disappointed when it popped into your key item storage. :sigh:

Double Edit: Oh, hey, looks like you can one-shot squiddly-diddlies with an un-upgraded semi-auto rifle, nevermind them!

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 8, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The theme song for CJacobs's LP of RE4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxqrDjpfRE

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Leon's one-liners are something to be deeply treasured.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i really like the castle area, there's a nice variety to the set-pieces and more types of not-zombie than the village area

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo
morir es vivir, morir es vivir

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

Whatever it is, it gave the voice-actors a chance to ham it up wonderfully; there's a lot more where "No thanks, bro!" came from. It's still cringe-worthy at times... but it wouldn't be RE4 without it.

What I love about that line the most is that it's not really even a valid response to what Salazar said.

quote:

Salazar: Me llamo Ramon Salazar, the eighth Castellan of this magnificent architecture. I have been honored with the prodigious power from the great Lord Saddler. I've been expecting you, my brethren.

Leon: NO THANKS, BRO

It's like he had no idea what Salazar was trying to say and just wanted to say something rad in response. And oh did he. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shieldhill posted:

cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo
morir es vivir, morir es vivir

There are no words to accurately describe how goddamn loving annoying the monks get with their muttering. :argh:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

What I love about that line the most is that it's not really even a valid response to what Salazar said.

It's like he had no idea what Salazar was trying to say and just wanted to say something rad in response. And oh did he. :allears:

To be fair, anyone at that point would be like 'gently caress your poo poo, you just want to gently caress me over with weird virus plague poo poo things'. Leon is having none of anyone's poo poo today. He's the best.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I love the line delivery when Leon says "You got that right. We'll find a cure." It's so matter-of-fact.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Salazar: Me llamo Ramon Salazar, the eighth Castellan of this magnificent architecture. I have been honored with the prodigious power from the great Lord Saddler. I've been expecting you, my brethren.

Leon: NO THANKS, BRO

I'd guess it's probably meant to be in response to the "brethren" part. Like "No thanks; I don't want to be your bro, bro." :kamina:

But yeah, it's charmingly(?) awkward.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You're not my bro, buddy. :v:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
You should really upgrade the damage on your guns whenever possible, this is the part of the game where that's going to start to matter a lot. It isn't like you're using those 100,000+ ptas for anything else!

Also you should definitely give the mine thrower a try sometime before the end of the LP. It's really fun, and also super cheap at only 9800 money units.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

That's the thing: Leon really, really wants to be a badass action hero. And he's really, really bad at it.

The mine thrower is the coolest weapon in the entire game and you need to start using it right now.

edit: Also, the chief benefit of the semi-auto rifle is that it allows you to completely clown a certain lategame enemy type so if you want to keep tension you might want to go back to bolt action.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 8, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Definitely grab the Mine Thrower at some point, it's just really fun to use and can/will turn crowds of generics into little more than walking item bags. Never found it to me much cop against bosses myself, but then that's what the usual RE staple of Magnums are for.

anilEhilated posted:

the chief benefit of the semi-auto rifle is that it allows you to completely clown a certain lategame enemy type so if you want to keep tension you might want to go back to bolt action.
If it's the regenerating jellybabies you're referring to, either rifle is just as (in)effective for the first few encounters!

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
Maybe we shouldn't talk about enemy types we haven't seen yet, not even in the vague wink-wink nudge-nudge way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I might do a bonus video on the mine thrower or somethin', it sounds like it could be fun. I am too much of a stickler to actually buy it for the main LP though.

edit: Although the way the merchant basically says "you've gotta have balls to buy that gun!" when you go to buy it is pretty radical.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I might do a bonus video on the mine thrower or somethin', it sounds like it could be fun. I am too much of a stickler to actually buy it for the main LP though.

edit: Although the way the merchant basically says "you've gotta have balls to buy that gun!" when you go to buy it is pretty radical.

My last playthrough it was the only weapon I bought.

It was awesome.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

did you sell your other guns so mine thrower ammo was the only kind that dropped from enemies?

also I like how Salazar says "Mr Scott" in the first encounter with him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Upon rewatching the video, I must say I loved your little yell of delight when you first suplexed a dude.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

You see it as sticking to tradition, I see it as a goddamn crime the mine thrower never returned.
Anyway, on the enemy talk - I wanted to mention it as soon as the semi-auto becomes available before he commits himself with upgrades; that rate of fire increase makes a huge difference. Either way works fine, I guess, it's not like he listens to the thread advice on guns anyway. blacktaaaaaaaaaaaaail

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 9, 2016

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Zetsubou-san posted:

also I like how Salazar says "Mr Scott" in the first encounter with him.

The way Salazar talks is really interesting, but this is one of the more interesting things about it. He always calls him Mr. Scott, or Mr. Kennedy, I don't think he ever calls him Leon at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

anilEhilated posted:

blacktaaaaaaaaaaaaail

But they're functionally identical!

edit: I have been doing some other playing on the side (including using the blacktail!), so maybe I'll show off all the weapons I don't end up sticking with in the main LP in a bonus series or something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Glaive17 posted:

The way Salazar talks is really interesting, but this is one of the more interesting things about it. He always calls him Mr. Scott, or Mr. Kennedy, I don't think he ever calls him Leon at all.

Salazar is trying so goddamn hard to be a suave Bond villain, you see.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

did you sell your other guns so mine thrower ammo was the only kind that dropped from enemies?

I did keep a couple of the guns you can get for free, but I between those drops and free ammo from capacity upgrades I made it through despite some lean times toward the endgame. Headshotting a dude with a mine dart and roundhousing him into a pack of other dudes = the best.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

Either way works fine, I guess, it's not like he listens to the thread advice on guns anyway. blacktaaaaaaaaaaaaail

Sure, he is. Hey CJacobs, you should just do whatever you want to do!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Sure, he is. Hey CJacobs, you should just do whatever you want to do!

Pretty much this, part of the fun (especially in blind LP's) is seeing how people approach certain problems and kinda yelling at him to use the "best" weapons detracts from that.

Especially Your panic Grenade throwing Cjacobs that is the best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have not yet grenaded myself in my attempts to grenade other mans, I don't think, but it's only a matter of time really.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I just realized that "No thanks, bro" is specifically in response to Salazar calling Leon his "brethren". I'm not sure if Leon using that level of etymological nerdery makes it better or worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

I have not yet grenaded myself in my attempts to grenade other mans, I don't think, but it's only a matter of time really.

You cannot self grenade, it is always safe to grenade.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Night10194 posted:

You cannot self grenade, it is always safe to grenade.

Actually you can, you just have to be so close that you're practically standing on top of them. You really have to be going out of your way to actually get blown up by your own grenades, RE4 is surprisingly lenient for this.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Actually you can, you just have to be so close that you're practically standing on top of them. You really have to be going out of your way to actually get blown up by your own grenades, RE4 is surprisingly lenient for this.

You might be able to with fire grenades or throwing uphill, but you pretty much have to try to hurt yourself.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hitting yourself with a fire grenade is really easy honestly. Grenades stop if they hit an enemy and the enemies love to run right at you in this game, and the fire bubble they make lasts a while and you can get burned just by walking into that bubble at any time after the grenade's been tossed. They are far and away the most dangerous weapon to your own dang self.

Regular grenades have a fairly small blast radius where they have a ton of force, and a fairly large radius where they have roughly half strength. Leon cannot be hurt by the larger radius, only the smaller one, so hurting yourself with those is uncommon but still pretty do-able.

Flash grenades are 100% harmless and should be thrown at every moment where two or more headbursters are on screen at once.

None of the grenades hurt you very much though, it's only one little bar of health lost no matter how you do it. So toss 'em at will, they're way scarier to the ganados than they are to you.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I like the animation Leon does when an explosion goes off near him, but not close enough to do any damage.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

gnome7 posted:

None of the grenades hurt you very much though, it's only one little bar of health lost no matter how you do it. So toss 'em at will, they're way scarier to the ganados than they are to you.
Half-right. Being close enough to take damage from a frag grenade when it goes off actually hurts like loving buggery. Incendiary grenades though do pitiful self-damage (not even a bar/block/whatever the hell we call them). In either case, you have to be in possession of the world's unluckiest charm (or just plain loving incompetent with grenade usage) for this to be a repeat occurrence and a constant source of danger. Seriously, merely being two metres away from the blast is a safe enough distance from almost any explosion in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Also, when you almost blow up the merchant, he's not lying to you. The Riot Gun lvl 3 damage upgrade unlocks at that point.

I decided to swap RE4 back to my HDD, and I had just started the castle when I needed the space for other games.

• Locked thread