Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I'm too dumb to figure this out but when do fleet battles actually start? Is the in game time listed in PST or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It should adjust to your computer's system time. Just to be clear though, fleet battles start in just under 2 hours as of this post.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We fought a guy in a Hatsu who, when I killed him with my Fubuki, wouldn't stop bitching about how the matchmaker had screwed him and 'the better team had lost because of MM'.

After he got killed by a lower tier (if insanely awesome) ship. :allears:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pervis posted:

I can't find the disguise value, but your theories do fit what I've seen, especially at the higher tiers. DD's (especially the Laforey) can spot and remain un-seen pretty well, but CL/CA can't pull it off for poo poo. I do shove the radar mast on every ship, and the communication leader (450m range) so I'm usually in the 4.5-5k range minimum on every ship minus subs, but only destroyers seem to be able to scout and not be instantly seen. Cruisers seem to be pretty odd ducks at the higher tiers because they are weaker against subs, not nearly as good scouts, but their guns can't really hurt BB's (which are everywhere). Subs fit the role of secondary scouts much better, and are much more fun at t4/t5 than the lower tiers, since you can stay under longer and are generally faster.

Even at full speed my Mogami 35 has a band where it can see BBs and not be seen, but it's very thin. It's also very dependent on speed- one of the flaws I think we have vis a vis tryhard clans is going full speed ahead at all times and this is actually a significant debuff to your stealth rating. I think disguise is actually really important and probably moreso than spotting range.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Even at full speed my Mogami 35 has a band where it can see BBs and not be seen, but it's very thin. It's also very dependent on speed- one of the flaws I think we have vis a vis tryhard clans is going full speed ahead at all times and this is actually a significant debuff to your stealth rating. I think disguise is actually really important and probably moreso than spotting range.

I did not know any of this, and you're right. It explains a LOT about our matches against Dark Judge.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Do bonuses from multiple commanders stack? eg. 2-3 different guys granting radar spotting bonuses

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Llyranor posted:

Do bonuses from multiple commanders stack? eg. 2-3 different guys granting radar spotting bonuses

Yep!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Has anyone ever accomplished anything with the Bayern? I cannot imagine how another ship could possibly be worse - even in tier 6 games I would rather play a Wyoming.

In a 20 knot (after speed commanders) ship every game is a decision between sitting in the back and dealing no damage if your team is aggressive, or following your teammates and dying if they ever decide to turn around.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

James Garfield posted:

Has anyone ever accomplished anything with the Bayern? I cannot imagine how another ship could possibly be worse - even in tier 6 games I would rather play a Wyoming.

In a 20 knot (after speed commanders) ship every game is a decision between sitting in the back and dealing no damage if your team is aggressive, or following your teammates and dying if they ever decide to turn around.

German boats are very bad before tier VII other than the sub and I think the Konigs '27, which still isn't anything special.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Pillau is basically the single most harmless boat in the game. I've never felt even vaguely threatened by one, or its sad little single torpedo and lovely inaccurate guns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Looking at some of the fleet stuff, top 30 still gets you like 4 guys so as long as we keep showing up we should be golden. It only jumps up 1 more recruit and 3k free XP for top 10, which really isn't much when you consider the daily stuff.

But if we can actually get a junior squad and/or a second group going we might be able to crack it regardless. Shoot for a decked out Pennsylvania and/or a tier V DD if you want to try to do that higher fleet battle, either the Porter or the Shira both work. Also, try to put some equipment on your Fubukis and Wyomings, like the loader thing and the spotting thing if you haven't already. The fubuki with a good crew, chain loader, custom hoist and the range finder is pretty much unstoppable in pubs (alternative is the steering gear which is also good)

One thing I did notice from our battles tonight is that a lot of us just shot like poo poo. A lot of missing large targets like BBs because of bad leading and/or angles. That's something we can probably fix pretty easy next week.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 10, 2016

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I have terrible (or at least they look terrible to me) DD commanders, do you have an example of what a good DD crew setup looks like?

edit: also, what would you put on a decked out pennsylvania besides custom hoist?

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't want to ask anybody to force themselves to "train" or do virtual gunnery drills or whatever. The skills you need to play fleet battles are basically the same ones you build by just playing normal games.

We still give a decent showing when we lose, and I don't want anyone to feel obligated to treat the game as a job or whatever. I certainly don't want to discourage any new players by demanding they get better for fleet battles (They don't matter very much).

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Personally, while I tend to do fine in BBs in pub games, trying to fire at people who actually knew how to evade and did so actively was a big step up. Practice makes perfect ect ect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nickiepoo posted:

Personally, while I tend to do fine in BBs in pub games, trying to fire at people who actually knew how to evade and did so actively was a big step up. Practice makes perfect ect ect.

A lot of it is waiting for a moment when they're distracted or you know they need to turn predictably. Hitting guys in narrow channels or who are engaged in gunfights with other light craft or setting up a torp run is much easier than blasting a DD who is doing donuts and just trying to keep you spotted.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dpidz0r posted:

I have terrible (or at least they look terrible to me) DD commanders, do you have an example of what a good DD crew setup looks like?

edit: also, what would you put on a decked out pennsylvania besides custom hoist?

I think I've been lucky enough to pick up a bunch of good DD crew. I'll list them out, but I don't expect everybody to have the same.

Captain - Kaspar Mass. +1 knot and 8% speed and acceleration if captain. His ability lasts for 45 seconds and makes an alert pop up if you get spotted. Also gives 150m of spotting range at lvl 8

Gunner - Mikawa Gunyichi. +10% acceleration to light cruisers and destroyers. Some aim time buffs. I mostly use him because he's already really high level and gives me good aiming buffs.

Steering - Nobody important. Koga Shinsuke gives me +1 knot and a small torp reload thing but it's not amazing. You want some decent skill level for some buffs.

Comms - Arashi

Engineer - Von Luckner. Disguise is good, Von Luckner gives +5% disguise and acceleration.

I like having acceleration buffs because speeding up and slowing down is a good way to screw up aiming battleships. So is running directly away from them and making small course adjustments.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't want to ask anybody to force themselves to "train" or do virtual gunnery drills or whatever. The skills you need to play fleet battles are basically the same ones you build by just playing normal games.

We still give a decent showing when we lose, and I don't want anyone to feel obligated to treat the game as a job or whatever. I certainly don't want to discourage any new players by demanding they get better for fleet battles (They don't matter very much).

I wouldn't ask people to do training or whatever, I don't care to take this that seriously either. Probably all it would take would be playing a couple pub games in the Wyoming right before fleet so we have a better feel. That's usually enough for me to aim a lot better. Same with playing the Fubuki or Atlanta. I agree though, so sorry if it came off as demanding, just come shoot botes goons.

For my crew, I tend to keep all my boats using the same core just so I max my skill gain on those guys, only swapping for specific skill sets like captain or getting plane guys on my CV. I also greatly prefer using the 3 star guys where I can simply because they can get 3-4 skills activated without being gated by promotions.

They look like this:

This guy is the lvl 5 BB reward, you got him with the repulse. The reload skill is incredible.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a reward too and he's far and away the best gunner available unless you can luck into Halsey or something. Really want 1000 qual to upgrade him, I'm at 300 right now.

I got lucky getting this guy from a draw.

lvl 5 DD guy, very awesome for Comms.

I swap Otto out for Mass in my DDs and CLs

For my engineer slot I have Mountbatten in atm since he has a +1 knot skill, but I just got Luckner last night and the disguise thing might actually be huge so I'm swapping him in I think.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 10, 2016

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I play mostly Destroyers, so I really like the one that gives 750m extra sonar, and I'm leveling up anything that gives extra radar range (don't have level 5 DD's yet to get access to that awesome 500m one, though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I've played Navyfield and World of Warships. How is this game in comparison? I saw people describing it as "the bastard child of the two" which sounds interesting; having subs definitely sounds interesting and just so many ship classes make it sound like it is very crazy and chaotic.

How does the aiming work? Like WoWs? Would you say it is more or less grindy? I got up to tier VII of each ship type on the American line in WoWs then got bored, but this game has a much wider variety of nations and ship classes which sounds interesting.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I've played Navyfield and World of Warships. How is this game in comparison? I saw people describing it as "the bastard child of the two" which sounds interesting; having subs definitely sounds interesting and just so many ship classes make it sound like it is very crazy and chaotic.

How does the aiming work? Like WoWs? Would you say it is more or less grindy? I got up to tier VII of each ship type on the American line in WoWs then got bored, but this game has a much wider variety of nations and ship classes which sounds interesting.

Much more arcadey than WoWs. Ships accelerate and turn much faster, you never have to spend much time just to cover the map.

You get an actual aim circle that corresponds to the spread of your shells. For battleships and cruisers, you can aim from this top-down view like artillery in WoT. Also, there's a mechanic where your shots get more accurate as you land more shots in the same area.

The different ship classes have more clear roles than in WoWs. I think it's less grindy because there are lots of dev-given bonuses and costs are lower. Also, the game is just more engaging to play than WoWs. You also feel like you have more input over the course of a game than WoWs

Be warned, if you insult the Quebecers in this game they will spend the entire game shooting you and ramming you instead of anything more productive.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 11, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Mazz posted:

I wouldn't ask people to do training or whatever, I don't care to take this that seriously either. Probably all it would take would be playing a couple pub games in the Wyoming right before fleet so we have a better feel. That's usually enough for me to aim a lot better. Same with playing the Fubuki or Atlanta. I agree though, so sorry if it came off as demanding, just come shoot botes goons.

For my crew, I tend to keep all my boats using the same core just so I max my skill gain on those guys, only swapping for specific skill sets like captain or getting plane guys on my CV. I also greatly prefer using the 3 star guys where I can simply because they can get 3-4 skills activated without being gated by promotions.

They look like this:

This guy is the lvl 5 BB reward, you got him with the repulse. The reload skill is incredible.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a reward too and he's far and away the best gunner available unless you can luck into Halsey or something. Really want 1000 qual to upgrade him, I'm at 300 right now.

I got lucky getting this guy from a draw.

lvl 5 DD guy, very awesome for Comms.

I swap Otto out for Mass in my DDs and CLs

For my engineer slot I have Mountbatten in atm since he has a +1 knot skill, but I just got Luckner last night and the disguise thing might actually be huge so I'm swapping him in I think.

Please put this in the op

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So, I haven't been playing (at all basically) since the holidays. I will get back into it soon though! Anyways I just noticed that my Premium Time isn't counting down because I also have 2 battles worth of VIP from one reward or another. Unless I've somehow been rewarded VIP days? I don't think they reward VIP Days. (Got 163 days of premium left and I bought 6 months/180 days at the end of November)

So uh, if you're gonna take a break from the game for a while, try to earn some VIP Battles before doing so!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Any tips for a newbie?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I take back the bad things I said about the Pensacola. If you roll a little slower than full speed and run Luckner for the disguise thing, you are pretty monstrous. You do 10 more damage per shot than the Wyoming with the main path gun upgrade and you reload in nearly half the time; with the reload skill active you reload in a little over 6 seconds. I solo'd down the last 2 Wyoming before they even hit me.

Don't get me wrong, a good Nevada is WAY more scary than this thing will ever be, but it definitely can be a monster in the right situations.

Panfilo posted:

Any tips for a newbie?

Play Japanese DDs and US BBs until you get a good feel for how the game mechanics play out, these are the most forgiving lines and often the best boats of their tiers. Subs, CLs, and CVs can all be really good but DDs and BBs tend to make the most difference to a game (barring a VERY good CV or Atlanta match). Try to get to lvl 5 in a DD, CL and BB so you can get the good crew core guys, the Repulse should give you the BB guy right away. Make the squads in the barracks so you can set the squad for your boats fast and so you use the same guys continously as their little number under the protrait is skill and affects the position they are seated in (you can see this above in my crew screenshots).

If you plan on spending gold wait on the premium ships until you know what you actually want, and get that investment plan thing in the recharge tab as it gives you way more gold than it costs if you plan to play for any period of time (even a few days should get you to tier V or VI). If you get premium time and play even mediocre credits should never be an issue, so putting the 7 day camo on all your botes is a good idea as it increases disguise, a part of the spotting system.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It also has an easier time dunking smaller craft. I'm fond of the Pensecola.

But then, I like the goddamn Taco, for reasons I can't explain.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Gonna add to the "Pepsicola is actually decent in this game" grouptalk with "It constantly outperforms the Repulse in my experience." which is really because the Repulse is just so undergunned considering how much of a slower and fatter target it(Repulse) is in comparison.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Groggy nard posted:

Gonna add to the "Pepsicola is actually decent in this game" grouptalk with "It constantly outperforms the Repulse in my experience." which is really because the Repulse is just so undergunned considering how much of a slower and fatter target it(Repulse) is in comparison.

The Repulse has a problem similar to the Colorado, you are at the mercy of the shot RNG not scattering them into the wind and not hitting parts of the boat with armor. Sure when the stars align it'll dunk on people, but it's the hitting part that's the problem. The Colorado makes up for it a bit by being pretty equal to the other VIIs (the Scharn is the best by a good margin), but the Repulse will lose to a good Nevada or Ise pretty much every time.

The Pensacola is much more like the Nevada in terms of shot groupings, which is a very real advantage even it its weaker in other areas.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 11, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea how some of you baddies can not like the Repulse, especially over the Pepsicola. You're WAY more armoured, move just as fast (35 knots on mine) turn just about as fast and have WAY more damaging primaries albeit slower reload. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the Pepsi especially if people aren't focusing on you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Stanley Pain posted:

I have no idea how some of you baddies can not like the Repulse, especially over the Pepsicola. You're WAY more armoured, move just as fast (35 knots on mine) turn just about as fast and have WAY more damaging primaries albeit slower reload. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the Pepsi especially if people aren't focusing on you.

I won't argue anything but the damage part. I think people underestimate what the upgraded Pensacola can do. I'm not at home to fully see, but it's it's ~213 damage from 10 guns at ~3.6 shots a minute. That works out to about 7500 DPM. I don't know the Repulse's numbers off hand but it's something like 480 x 6 x 2.2, or ~6200, I'll say 6500 since I'm ballparking this. They hit harder per shot, but collectively not so much. And yes the pen numbers matter, but I'd argue so does shot accuracy, and the Pepsi definitely wins there.

But, that all being said, I don't really think the Repulse is bad, I'm just not a fan of that type of boat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mazz posted:

I won't argue anything but the damage part. I think people underestimate what the upgraded Pensacola can do. I'm not at home to fully see, but it's it's ~213 damage from 10 guns at ~3.6 shots a minute. That works out to about 7500 DPM. I don't know the Repulse's numbers off hand but it's something like 480 x 6 x 2.2, or ~6200, I'll say 6500 since I'm ballparking this. They hit harder per shot, but collectively not so much. And yes the pen numbers matter, but I'd argue so does shot accuracy, and the Pepsi definitely wins there.

But, that all being said, I don't really think the Repulse is bad, I'm just not a fan of that type of boat.

You actually have to pen to do that damage though. It's amazing vs. things you can pen, but more often than not 1/2 the other team is going to be in BBs. I guess because I went down the German BB line instead of the US line I never had damage/shot that high especially not at tier 5. The Pepsi really does tear other CLs and DDs a new rear end in a top hat though. Main artillery reload down to like 4.5 seconds with the commander slotted :getin:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Are there still slots available for Goon fleet? I was in Seamen in WoWS as Jerjare. I'm Panfilo in Steel Ocean. I'll apply as soon as I'm off work in a few hours.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those were the heaviest pubbies I've ever carried. I was fooling around in my Florida because fatboat is fun sometimes and I had a match where my entire team got a single kill aside from me. Thankfully, the enemy suffered 3 TKs, and I took out the other 7.

I didn't even know there was a 'kill shitload of planes' medal until that match. And I had to take out 22 of them with just the two manual guns on the Florida.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stanley Pain posted:

You actually have to pen to do that damage though. It's amazing vs. things you can pen, but more often than not 1/2 the other team is going to be in BBs. I guess because I went down the German BB line instead of the US line I never had damage/shot that high especially not at tier 5. The Pepsi really does tear other CLs and DDs a new rear end in a top hat though. Main artillery reload down to like 4.5 seconds with the commander slotted :getin:

The Pepsi will pen battleships at max range, and will almost always be able to pen IJN battleships(the Ise and Nagato are oddly lightly armored).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ises are incredibly easy to kill as long as you don't let them shoot at you. I've consistently been able to pen Ises with the secondaries on a Nevada or Repulse, let along the main guns.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Stanley Pain posted:

You're WAY more armoured, move just as fast (35 knots on mine) turn just about as fast and have WAY more damaging primaries albeit slower reload.

The extra armor amounts to "Bigger target that is less concealable." With the exact same commanders on mine it seemed like the Repulse was 2 knots slower. Nobody expects the super quick refire on the Pensacola with all the reload time mods/commanders stacked and active, especially maneuvering DD's. BB's who are already engaged with another BB just don't understand why everything is fire, and I can just smoke and maneuver a single enemy BB who gets the bright idea to shoot me.

I tend to drive both of them exactly like an Atlanta though, which means I need a certain level of accuracy from the guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got Woundless Hero in the dumbest way possible last night. I was in one of those 'race to kills' matches where the enemy team was folding hard, I took out 6 of them, got too overzealous, and got ahead of our BB line in my lust to kill more fatboats. I got wasted, respawned, and then the match ended with me at full HP, so it gave me the medal for being an idiot and getting myself killed. :downs:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

The Pepsi will pen battleships at max range, and will almost always be able to pen IJN battleships(the Ise and Nagato are oddly lightly armored).

Not nearly as well as the Repulse though. Granted, the Repulse has probably the WORST RNG when it comes to it's primaries compared to just about any other ship save for zee Germans.

Groggy nard posted:

The extra armor amounts to "Bigger target that is less concealable." With the exact same commanders on mine it seemed like the Repulse was 2 knots slower. Nobody expects the super quick refire on the Pensacola with all the reload time mods/commanders stacked and active, especially maneuvering DD's. BB's who are already engaged with another BB just don't understand why everything is fire, and I can just smoke and maneuver a single enemy BB who gets the bright idea to shoot me.

I tend to drive both of them exactly like an Atlanta though, which means I need a certain level of accuracy from the guns.

I drive both of them very aggressively as well and the Repulse definitely lets you get away with a LOT more bullying then the Pepsi. A single good volley will end your rampage pretty quickly where as the Repulse can shrug off a good deal of hits. I dunno I just love the ship. Heavy Armoured, 35 knots, decent but not great guns ;).

Here is peak Repulse:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know he has a name, but I always just refer to the T5 BB reward captain as 'Quickload Nazi'.

It's descriptive.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha, yeah, I don't remember their names either:

Scout Dude
Speed Loader Mans
Pen Dude
SS guy
Crack Head Steermans, speaking of which getting him to 3 stars is totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Can someone invite "bulbaros" to the Fleet? Seems to be full atm :)

• Locked thread