Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

I remember being shocked (well shock isn't really the right word I would use, maybe delighted) by the amount of nudity in 80's movies. It always seemed to be out of the blue as well.

Is there anything more to why 80's movies could get away with nudity like they did until it was shut down?

Because like all things the MPAA is a political organization and in the time before the social conservative resurgence in the 80s nudity and violence in film were judged in context. It was even possible for a non-R rated film to have nudity provided it was not sexual. Now however any nudity in a film will earn you an R so directors push the limit as much as they can, because why not? We've reduced people to a collection of parts, some being acceptable for display and some not, but by being so specific we've made society more sexual since as long as you don't show a woman's nipples or anyone's exposed genitalia it's ok to show in public!

vvv IIRC Cameron only got that in by basically having the studios call in an appeal. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I think Titanic was the last PG-13 movie I saw that had nudity in it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Back in the mid-80s my mom showed her class of high-school seniors Risky Business for their end of the year reward because she really liked the movie and thought they would enjoy it. She didn't need to get permission from anyone because it was all 17- and 18-year-olds.

Nobody complained and she didn't get into any trouble. The principle actually borrowed the tape from her afterwards because she gossiped with him about it and still had the tv and VCR with the tape in it in her classroom.

Can you imagine if she had done that today?

My high school law teacher showed us all advanced stage venereal disease pictures one afternoon. Sorry, gramps.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

My high school law teacher showed us all advanced stage venereal disease pictures one afternoon. Sorry, gramps.

You had a law teacher in high school?

Apparently there is a PG version of Excalibur and and an edited version of Romeo and Juliet. Good thing because I lived in the religious south and it just takes one "concerned" type to have a poo poo for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, this looks amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9x3Z6b0Z1g

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Michael Shannon is so loving awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

There's a surprising amount in Across the Universe, but that movie is so goddamn dire I don't blame anyone for not having seen it. (The joys of marriage. :suicide:)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Timby posted:

There's a surprising amount in Across the Universe, but that movie is so goddamn dire I don't blame anyone for not having seen it. (The joys of marriage. :suicide:)

The first half was ok. The second half is indefensible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Milla Jovovich, aged 15.

Return to the Blue Lagoon.

PG-13.

Bonus:

music by basil poledouris motherfuckers! :rock: :rock:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Looks like Garbage to me!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonz posted:

It's literally artistic nudity.

Re: the Netflix hiphop thing - I really want to like that, but I can see Luhrmann's artwankery all over it and it puts me off. Interesting that he's cast a total unknown as Grandmaster Flash, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Batman v Superman TV spot, comprised of mostly one scene, accurately shows how ineffective Batman normally is against Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN0F5wKbGE

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

e: I've been telling people to try to read the novel before seeing High Rise, but this new trailer does a decent job of setting it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmY2tBYins

If that gorgeous trailer isn't incentive enough, Tom Hiddleston reads the audiobook.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

New Batman v Superman TV spot, comprised of mostly one scene, accurately shows how ineffective Batman normally is against Superman.

I know they've chopped that scene up for the teaser and there's almost certainly more dialogue at that point than just those two lines but that was pretty weird, unless they're going to do a whole bunch of scenes where Superman just stands around thinkin' 'bout stuff and then Batman Kramers in and says a random non sequitur line, in which case it's awesome.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
The scene in the teaser is the first time they meet.
Batman is just pissed that Super Man-Standing-In-The-Middle-Of-The-Street wrecked his loving car.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That Elvis and Nixon movie looks real bad, and that's coming from a guy with immeasurable love for Spacey and Shannon. It looks like a bad TV movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I know they've chopped that scene up for the teaser and there's almost certainly more dialogue at that point than just those two lines but that was pretty weird, unless they're going to do a whole bunch of scenes where Superman just stands around thinkin' 'bout stuff and then Batman Kramers in and says a random non sequitur line, in which case it's awesome.

quote:

"Superman?!" Batman kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I'm a superhero, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

The MSJ posted:

I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be awful. I mean, I don't want it to be, but it just all looks so tacky.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha I'm into it

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kevin Spacey and Michael Shannon compete over who can gnaw the most scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9x3Z6b0Z1g

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

tehsid posted:

I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be awful. I mean, I don't want it to be, but it just all looks so tacky.

Haha, the premise alone didn't clue you in?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking forward to the movie but that TV spot was borderline nonsensical.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pierson posted:

I'm looking forward to the movie but that TV spot was borderline nonsensical.

Only if you think Batman is supposed to look cool instead of impotent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just what i want from my film superheroes: impotence

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

welcome to zack snyders entire career

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Batman also isn't really looking like a hero until near the end of the film.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

computer parts posted:

Batman also isn't really looking like a hero until near the end of the film.

Yeah, I get the feeling the audience won't be meant to side with Batman until he gets over himself, presumably sometime in the third act.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Right, it's a movie about Batman learning to get down with Superman, so it makes sense he'd be all backed up at the beginning.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm liking it just cause it isn't slobbering all over Batman's dick.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Byzantine posted:

I'm liking it just cause it isn't slobbering all over Batman's dick.

But will Superman snap Batman's neck at the end of the movie?! THAT will determine whether or not it's a good movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Movie is gonna be great and will probably tear CineD apart just as people unironically proclaim the Star Wars prequel trilogy a good series of films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks boring, Snyder films are boring.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

But will Superman snap Batman's neck at the end of the movie?! THAT will determine whether or not it's a good movie.

I could go for that, yeah.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Zack Snyder makes good films and he's a good director.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Movie is gonna be great and will probably tear CineD apart just as people unironically proclaim the Star Wars prequel trilogy a good series of films.

Man of Steel already did this, so yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hollismason posted:

Zack Snyder makes good films and he's a good director.

I concur.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Man of Steel already did this, so yeah.

But did it have the Prometheus-level mental gymnastics of "it was great because it was such a piece of poo poo!" argument?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nobody argued that about Prometheus except its detractors.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

Not even Zod, another Kryptonian, was able to bruise Superman. What does Batman hope to accomplish with his second-rate Iron Man suit? Taking on Superman in a fistfight is the dumbest idea in the Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nobody argued that about Prometheus except its detractors.

I mean like some arguments in favor of Prometheus center on David being the viewpoint character and finding great amusement in the petty, hubristic follies of most of the human cast, which can be easy to mistake for "it's great because it's a piece of poo poo!" if, perhaps, you're willfully dense

• Locked thread